2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
semmo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all!

I've recently acquired a 8"6' George Steck concert grand from my old university. The serial number dates the piano to the early 1920s. The piano is not in good condition, and I anticipate a reasonably comprehensive restoration job to get it up to performance standard.

I've scoured the internet and found no information on a concert grand being made by George Steck around this time. Does anyone have any information on this line of George Steck models?

Some images for your perusal:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks in advance!

Steve

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome to Piano World! I've never seen one, but I'm guessing someone will chime in with some info. Any chance you can post some photos showing some detail of the inside? Photos of the cast iron frame, strings, tuning pin area...even the bracing underneath would be helpful.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
X
X
cosmetically that looks to be in great shape compared to many pianos I have looked at for university auctions.

I now have a signature.
P
P
Welcome to PW!

Based on a quick glance of the harp (color) and some other cosmetic features, I'm wondering if this is a lot newer than the 1920's. Anyone else?

Thanks

Last edited by Piano Practice; 11/27/17 01:27 PM.

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
if you dated your piano to the 1920s accurately, it is a rarity among vintage Stecks. from the information accessible to me, the Aeolian conglomerate that owned steck and many other brands at the time was most successful marketing stecks as player uprights and smaller size reproducing grands, and many of the surviving stecks from the 20s were such instruments. so if you do have a concert grand from the 20s, don't be surprised if very very few people have had first hand experience with one. what matters of course is how you like it and enjoy it after investing a restoration.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
It looks like an Asian piano from the 1970s to 1990s to be honest, not a 1920's American concert grand.

YAMAHA Artist
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
from the 20s through the early 90s, either Aeolian, Aeolian American, or post-breakup, Mason & Hamlin owned Steck. when the burgetts bought M&H, steck came along with it, and production went first to Pearl River, then Sejung, and finally Parsons. were Aeolian/Aeolian American brands shifted over to China or Korea at any point before the company went under ?

http://www.concertpitchpiano.com/George-Steck-Piano-Prices.html

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Joe:
Have to agree with you. Who owns/owned the name ? Was it still AEolian Corp. and, if so, wouldn't it be likely that the piano was made by Samick ?
Karl

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Karl, personally I don't know much about George Steck pianos and their concert grands from the late 20th Century. Actually in the UK we still rarely see any concert grands that are not from Bechstein, Bösendorfer, Blüthner, Fazioli, Steinway, Kawai or Yamaha. Sometimes you can still come across the odd 1920s Chappell, Broadwood or Challen, but they're like needles in haystacks.

Any Steck piano I've seen here in the UK has been made here - some larger uprights, the occasional compact upright, and a few baby grands. I think that Steck here was something of a stencil name, and the pianos were probably made (note the probably) by Kemble or someone similar. I know that there are some Aeolian branded pianos that were made here, but I don't know if they had their own factory. A few of them were player pianos, and some of them can be seen kicking around in various places with the player systems removed. There was a Steck ex-player baby grand in the local theatre (replaced by a Boston upright in 2000), and there was a Weber ex-player upright in my old high school.

YAMAHA Artist
S
semmo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all your responses, everyone smile

Interesting points raised about the features not looking like they fit the 1920s manufacturing style, I'd certainly agree re: the colour of the harp. It looks a bit more modern. Nonetheless, I am going off the serial number (64xxx) which I found under the keyboard and referenced at bluebookofpianos.com

I've since taken some more detailed shots. The brace supporting the back leg is apparently there after the leg came loose or something similar... I'm having a local piano technician do an inspection some time next week, so perhaps some light can be shed!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers smile

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Maybe the plate was refinished at some point in its life? Looks pretty old apart from the colour.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Check out those vertical hitch pins like on a Baldwin.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
...and not like a 1920s Baldwin, at that!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Ed A. Hall
Check out those vertical hitch pins like on a Baldwin.

I noticed that first thing. Also, the nickel plate bolts and the color/condition of the plate - at least from afar - do not say vintage Steck. The soundboard decal does, but that is another thing entirely.

Also, the lyre support rods going to the back leg.... that is different.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Here's my two cents (or less).

The more I look, the more I see that this is an older piano, perhaps 20 years or more earlier than the 20's (serial numbers are not always the best clue. The open faced pinblock may seem to indicate that the piano may have been from the very late 1800's to early 1900's. To my eye, it's a rebuild where there were redesign liberties taken. The smack you in the eyeballs giveaway are the Baldwin influenced "accu-just" hitch pins, except that they are not - it looks like they thread into the plate, have a "shelf" that the string rests on, and are adjusted up or down from the top with an allen wrench. Looking at the soundboard from the underside, it looks like an old board, the darkening of the varnish is a giveway. What look like nickel plated plate bolts look more like capping nuts to a home built adjustable plate bolt ( I have done that, although I now use the WNG bolts). The bridges have been recapped and notched. I am guessing that both the legs and lyre have been replaced. The case was refinished, close examination of the decal shows that is on top of the finish rather than being under lacquer or varnish. And the plate color.....

Rather than spend the money on a good piano truck, they have braced the back leg. That's ridiculous, it does nothing to support the two front legs laterally.

A school piano. They have beat the stuffing out of the case having the kids run it through narrow doors at breakneck speeds.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Will,

Great observations. I agree with you entirely. It looks like a significant redesign of an older piano. Actually, I like the looks of those hitch pins. Seems like it could be a step up from the Baldwin design. I wonder who did it?

Semmo,

Are you in the Minneapolis area? Or somewhere else? Did you get it cheap? It looks to me like it has potential. Are you intending to do the work yourself or hire a tech? Just wondering.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
semmo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Pwg,

I'm a fair way away from Minneapolis area... From Melbourne, Australia in fact! Let's just say I nearly spent as much moving it to my school nearby as what I paid for the piano wink

Despite it's condition, I think the piano itself sounds like it has potential for greatness! The single string bass notes are unbelievably deep and powerful! I'm having a local tech check it out next week. The intention is to get the piano up to the best condition possible, providing I don't have to sell my kidneys of course smile Hoping around the AU$10k region (US$7-8k) will suffice, if not I might have to put the project on the back burner for a little while...

Cheers,

Semmo

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by semmo
Hi Pwg,

I'm a fair way away from Minneapolis area... From Melbourne, Australia in fact! Let's just say I nearly spent as much moving it to my school nearby as what I paid for the piano wink

Now that I know you are in Australia, I would say those hitch pins are not Baldwin-esque at all, but look more like predecessors of what Wayne Stuart uses today. Perhaps he worked on this piano pre-Stuart & Sons?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
William:

I'm curious. Have ANY modern piano builders produced instruments with open face planks (pinblocks) ?
I've heard more than one top-flight re-builder praise them as superior, at least in vertical pianos.

Karl

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
William:

I'm curious. Have ANY modern piano builders produced instruments with open face planks (pinblocks) ?
I've heard more than one top-flight re-builder praise them as superior, at least in vertical pianos.

Karl

Hi Karl, Boesendorfer does plenty of pianos with open face pin blocks.

For example: https://www.boesendorfer.com/en/pianos/pianos/grand-piano-200

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission