2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2690912 11/20/17 07:59 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Well, not the composer haha but his piano music. My choice would be Brahms. The only happy pieces I can think of among his output I can think of are some of his Waltzes and the C major Intermezzo from Op. 119. I don't mean to imply the rest of his works are all sad, but I would describe the non sad ones with adjectives like "majestic, love songs, peaceful", etc.

So who do you think wrote the least amount of happy piano music?

the non sad ones with words like "serious, majestic, love songs," etc.

S
spk Offline
S
For me, Scriabin comes first to mind as not much happy piano music.

Much of Schumann to me is not happy music. Much of it sounds passionate but tortured. Often wistful, full of melancholy. He does some march like segments, but not sure if I would call those happy.

Good answers -- but from among the great and near-great composers I think we'd have trouble really finding anyone that we'd be "happy" giving him/her that title.

Brahms: Admittedly this piece is usually played more wistfully than this (at least at the opening), but this is how I see it.... grin

Schumann:

Scriabin:

I know, I know -- one piece by each guy, big deal. ha

But I don't think we'd have that much trouble finding others if we wanted to.

But good answers. smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Good answers -- but from among the great and near-great composers I think we'd have trouble really finding anyone that we'd be "happy" giving him/her that title.

Brahms: Admittedly this piece is usually played more wistfully than this (at least at the opening), but this is how I see it.... grin

Schumann:

Scriabin:

I know, I know -- one piece by each guy, big deal. ha

But I don't think we'd have that much trouble finding others if we wanted to.

But good answers. smile

Never heard this Horowtiz recording. What a ridiculous(and ridiculously effective) way to play it. I'm use to the Richter doom and gloom version. I think this is a better example though for what your looking for:

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Mahler

Poetry is rhythm
K
K
Shostakovich.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Pianoloverus! For me, the pretty clear choice is Rachmaninoff. Of all the major composers I can think of, his piano music is never no-doubt-about-it happy, and IMO his most personal music is exquisitely sad. I agree, though, that both Brahms and Shostakovich are not far behind in that category

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, Pianoloverus! For me, the pretty clear choice is Rachmaninoff. Of all the major composers I can think of, his piano music is never no-doubt-about-it happy, and IMO his most personal music is exquisitely sad. I agree, though, that both Brahms and Shostakovich are not far behind in that category
I forgot about Rachmaninov and I think he would also be a very good choice. I can only think of a very small number of happy pieces by him...Polka de V.R., Humoresque, and the Hopak transcription.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I was thinking maybe Wagner, but got surprised by his waltzes and Polonaises and Polka, and the B-flat sonata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESmpugzQF0I

Definitely not a happy guy, and he wrote (by his standards) very little piano music, only two and a half hours.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spk
Much of Schumann to me is not happy music. Much of it sounds passionate but tortured. Often wistful, full of melancholy. He does some march like segments, but not sure if I would call those happy.

I agree about Scriabin, but I'm not so sure about Schumann. Undoubtedly there's a lot of deeply poetic, introspective music. On the other hand, though, I can't think of much that is as unashamedly joyful as the last movement of his Piano Concerto:

And there's plenty of other "happy" piano music, e.g. in the Novelettes, Scenes From Childhood, etc., and who among us has not hummed or whistled along to "The Happy Farmer", about as ingenuous and carefree as music gets:

SRF
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I forgot about Rachmaninov and I think he would also be a very good choice. I can only think of a very small number of happy pieces by him...Polka de V.R., Humoresque, and the Hopak transcription.

He was miserable while composing and always critical of his own playing. There is a rather dour statue of him in Knoxville, BTW, the city of his last recital.

Rach in Knox

More on Rach in Knoxville. Great program. 😀

Last edited by WhoDwaldi; 11/21/17 02:16 PM.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Even those have sad sections in them. Middle theme of Humoresque is very wistful.

Regards,

Polyphonist
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Mussorgsky?

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
S
spk Offline
S

Originally Posted by SiFi

And there's plenty of other "happy" piano music, e.g. in the Novelettes, Scenes From Childhood, etc., and who among us has not hummed or whistled along to "The Happy Farmer", about as ingenuous and carefree as music gets:

I think you have a good point there, I didn’t think of those Schumann examples.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Franz Joseph Haydn

Gary
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Franz Joseph Haydn

That's a choice that certainly defies conventional ideas. I must admit to being stumped on that one. I'd opt for Schoenberg. His piano works are not sad, I wouldn't say, but they certainly are not happy. Ever. Anxiety laden.

Brahms was dour, but I think he believed in the possibility of happiness. He just couldn't find it. It's said he never got over his early teenage experience with prostitutes, nor, perhaps Clara Schumann whom he was passionately in love with for years.

Schoenberg, on the other hand, had a long happy marriage and enjoyed playing tennis with George Gershwin and hanging around with Charlie Chaplin. You wouldn't think so listening to Pierrot Lunaire, though.

Last edited by toddy; 12/05/17 09:56 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission