2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2689041 11/12/17 07:50 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear friends:

It's been a long time since I was a "record player," obsessed with the latest releases of the famous pianists of the day. In addition, I just don't like the sound of modern solo piano recordings. I vastly prefer those made in the 30s and 40s. I can't explain why but those old records just sound so much more natural to me: the sound of a fine piano in a good room played by a master.

This new release on the Sony label features thirteen pieces from Brahms' late period. The piano is an S&S D (Hamburg), of course, but the remarkable thing is the playing and the sound of the recording. It's easily the finest new cd of solo piano playing that I've heard. I'm not implying that there aren't others out there, but I DO say that this particular recording has greatness in every bar and I commend it to you, all of you, heartily.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY
kw35@si.rr.com

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Just listened to a few on YouTube released by the label. Fantastic. Thanks for the heads up! Volodos is definitely among the very best today at a minimum.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Thank you for that Karl. I also queued up a YouTube video and think I need to buy this recording.

Cheers to you!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The advantage to being a subscriber to Spotify Premium is that I have just downloaded the album to my laptop and I am listening to it as I write on a pair of Sonos 3 and 1 Sonos 5 speakers. The sound is pretty stunning! To reassure Karl: there are other good modern recordings of solo piano.

Thanks, Karl.

P.S. I can add that the sound is quite spectacular and very natural-sounding on a high-end system consisting of a Conrad-Johnson MF2500 amp, a C-J preamp, and a pair of Aerial Model 6's three-way column speakers, the best listening system that I have.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 11/17/17 02:14 PM. Reason: additional listing info

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
These are fine performances and are beautifully recorded, but there is also another wonderful Brahms recording that was released even more recently than the Volodos. The pianist in question is Nelson Freire, on the Decca label.

I'm hard-pressed to choose between these gentlemen's performances of one of my favorite Brahms piano compositions, the Intermezzo in A major, Op. 118, No. 2.

First here is the Volodos rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRlrkxJExQ

Here is the Freire rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmTcSYTDyFU

Both are beautifully recorded, but the interpretations are quite different. As I said, it is hard to choose between the two. To make my decision even more difficult, I already own three fine recordings of this piece - Helene Grimaud, Radu Lupu, and Murray Perahia. I'd love to buy both of these new recordings, but my CD cabinet has only so much space and my wallet has only so many dollars. confused

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
to my ears decca has generally served solo piano recordings well, at least with lupu and schiff.

K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Almaviva:

Your point is so well-taken. One simply CANNOT choose. Nelson Freire has been one of my favourite pianists since I heard him in my first year at The Curtis. He played the E-flat Liszt Concerto with Kempe conducting the Royal Philharmonic. In my opinion, he plays even better today. His tone seems to sing in all contexts and is totally non-percussive. He's a wonderful artist and plays Brahms gorgeously. Have you heard his recording of the two concerti ? So many fine performances there but still Nelson Freire's are standouts. He makes a big sound but there is never a question of pounding.

Karl Watson

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have Freire's recording of the Brahms concerti with Chailly and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. I feel that Leon Fleisher's recordings with Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra are still tops with regards to performance, but the Freire/Chailly/Gewandhaus performances are extremely good and much better recorded.

K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Yes, yes, their performances are tremendous, thrilling, heaven-storming even, as the record guides insist over and over. I would not want to be parted from the Curzon/Szell 1st.

But whenever I hear those recordings I feel a bit like the poor traveler in Jesus' parable, the one who'd been set upon by thieves and left for dead beside the road. Give me Nelson Freire's good Samaritan any day, so much more mellow. Those "live wire" performances exhaust me.

Karl Watson

Last edited by Karl Watson; 11/18/17 06:07 PM.
B
B
Thanks for sharing the news regarding the new Freire recording - I'll need to find it as he is one of my absolute favorites. I've always liked Katchen's recordings of Brahms, but I'm excited to hear of both the new albums by Freire and Volodos.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by benjamink
Thanks for sharing the news regarding the new Freire recording - I'll need to find it as he is one of my absolute favorites. I've always liked Katchen's recordings of Brahms, but I'm excited to hear of both the new albums by Freire and Volodos.

My previous teacher thought that Katchen was the ideal performer of Brahms' piano music.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Almaviva:

Your point is so well-taken. One simply CANNOT choose. Nelson Freire has been one of my favourite pianists since I heard him in my first year at The Curtis. He played the E-flat Liszt Concerto with Kempe conducting the Royal Philharmonic. In my opinion, he plays even better today. His tone seems to sing in all contexts and is totally non-percussive. He's a wonderful artist and plays Brahms gorgeously. Have you heard his recording of the two concerti ? So many fine performances there but still Nelson Freire's are standouts. He makes a big sound but there is never a question of pounding.

Karl Watson

Karl and Almaviva:

Thanks for the Freire/Brahms recommendations. I have just acquired those recordings from Spotify. I will listen to them in the morning.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, yes, their performances are tremendous, thrilling, heaven-storming even, as the record guides insist over and over. I would not want to be parted from the Curzon/Szell 1st.

But whenever I hear those recordings I feel a bit like the poor traveler in Jesus' parable, the one who'd been set upon by thieves and left for dead beside the road. Give me Nelson Freire's good Samaritan any day, so much more mellow. Those "live wire" performances exhaust me.

Karl Watson

I know what you mean about the Fleisher/Szell recordings. The close, somewhat dry recorded sound CBS accorded them did not help matters either. Interestingly enough, Freire and Chailly take an even fiercer approach to the first movement of the D minor concerto than did Fleisher and Szell, but the Decca recorded sound is so much better that the performance is easier on the ears.

Last edited by Almaviva; 11/20/17 12:50 AM.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for the Volodos recommendation, Karl. I've been listening a bit on Youtube, and concur that the playing is lovely.

K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Benjamin:

I apologise for not recognising your post about Julius Katchen. He was a truly wonderful pianist, a BIG pianist yet capable of melting expressivity. I had a dear friend who heard him play both books of the Brahms Paganini Variations at a recital in Aix la Chapelle. He said that it was an unforgettable performance. When I was a kid I used to play his recording of the f-minor Sonata over and over - so expressive yet so noble - with its immense, heroic ending, octave doubling adding to the massive sonority.

When I was a student at the Schola Cantorum, the organ hall was often used as a recording venue and it was there that I played my first Hamburg D. I remember as if it were yesterday trying to play passages from that Sonata, with Katchen's sound in my head on that fabulous D.

Karl

F
Online Content
F
Originally Posted by Almaviva
These are fine performances and are beautifully recorded, but there is also another wonderful Brahms recording that was released even more recently than the Volodos. The pianist in question is Nelson Freire, on the Decca label.

I'm hard-pressed to choose between these gentlemen's performances of one of my favorite Brahms piano compositions, the Intermezzo in A major, Op. 118, No. 2.

First here is the Volodos rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRlrkxJExQ

Here is the Freire rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmTcSYTDyFU

Both are beautifully recorded, but the interpretations are quite different. As I said, it is hard to choose between the two. To make my decision even more difficult, I already own three fine recordings of this piece - Helene Grimaud, Radu Lupu, and Murray Perahia. I'd love to buy both of these new recordings, but my CD cabinet has only so much space and my wallet has only so many dollars. confused

This piece is so enigmatic, especially if you have several different pianists' versions and listen to them sequentially in one sitting. I have an MP3 album I compiled for that purpose and never tire
of playing this. For some reason I do not like to try to play it on my piano and I cannot understand the way it was put together (seeming to have an ending, then continues on. Just adds to the mystery).

Last edited by f4tune81; 11/22/17 02:20 AM.
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Almaviva:

Your point is so well-taken. One simply CANNOT choose.

I gave up trying to choose between the Volodos and the Freire Brahms CDs. I took the plunge and bought BOTH of them. eek

The programmes of the two CDs are not identical, so it's not a complete extravagance. At least that's what I'll try to convince myself. wink

In the meantime, I will be enjoying two wonderful recitals.

Dear Karl,
Thank you so much for this posting! Prior to this, I had a completely different impression of his playing... I would have placed it in the category of the high volume players of today, rather than sounding like Mr. Freire’s mentor Guimar Novaes or his lyrical contemporary Leif Ove Andsnes. I dare say I prefer Mr.Volodos playing of the Intermezzo to the same recording of Gould, Perahia and even to that wonderful Brahms player Mr. Freire himself! I’ll have to get the album and listen to all of the recordings!

Your friend,

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkP65I5BsNipAaT6BbTL-A7ibPdOv0DEZ
Mason & Hamlin Artist

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission