Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (anamnesis, ando, Almaviva, Amedeus, anotherscott, 23 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2690649 - Yesterday at 01:58 PM Digital Piano Recommendations  
One Fish Two Fish Online content
One Fish Two Fish  Online Content

Hello all, so I'm looking to get a new digital piano, since my old one is small, breaking, and just doesn't work too well for me anymore. I'm looking to get an 88 key weighted keyboard for $500 or less, but if there is one a little more spendy that you just really feel the need to recommend, go ahead. I would like it to be compatible with a sturdy stand, but it doeant necessarily have to come with one. I would also like to be able to connect at least two pedals to it, they don't have to be built in to the stand, but I would like it they sort of connected, or at least fit nicely with it. I really like the idea of a stand that sort of mimics an upright piano, with the built in pedals, stool, and astetically pleasing appearence (note that I just want the keyboard to be compatible with a stand like this, and it's cost would not be included in the $500). I'd like the whole system to fit in a 5.5' by 1.5' area, not counting the area where the stool would be pulled out to. I would also like to have the option to use headphones and have a wide range of volume, as one of the main reasons for getting a good electric piano is the fact that people don't always appreciate the acoustic piano being played while they are watching tv or trying to sleep (weird, I know). I mostly play classical piano, so I would like it to sound good with that type of music. Now, I know there are a lot of settings and stuff on more advanced keyboards, which I don't really understand how to use. So, I would like it to either not be too complex or have some good basic/standard settings. I would like to learn how to use all that at some point, though. So yeah, any suggestions as far as models or what I should look for would be very appreciated, thank you!

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2690667 - Yesterday at 03:50 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
You won't get much for $500. The action on these units is grossly inferior. You'll do better up near $1000.

Anyway, have a look online at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.
And visit one of their store to look, see, and try.
Casio and Yamaha have keyboards in this price range.

But you might get a much better piano on the used piano market.

#2690677 - Yesterday at 04:39 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: MacMacMac]  

Thank you, I'm a high school student with basically no income, so I can't really get a $1000 keyboard anytime soon. I'm honestly not looking for anything like breathtakingly amazing, though, just good enough that I can actually play some songs and have it sound alright. I've been using an ancient 61 key unweighted casio that doesn't even sound that much like a piano when I'm not usin my upright acoustic piano, so really I just want something that will feel and sound a bit more natural. I mean, I'm not a professional player, it's just for my own entertainment.

I have been looking around Guitar Center, and I could probably get one worth a little more if I get it around black friday. But I feel kind of stuck, I don't really know what I should be looking for besides the weight, number of keys, and a few other functions.

#2690686 - Yesterday at 05:16 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
Kumi_27 Online content
Kumi_27  Online Content

TG, Poland
Casio Privia PX160 should fit the bill. Quite good for ~500$.
There is a furniture-type stand with 3-pedal option to it, making it total ~560$ (saw it on Amazon)
Check it out.

Michael / GEM RP90 / SX-P50
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2690699 - Yesterday at 06:40 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: Kumi_27]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Kumi_27
Casio Privia PX160 should fit the bill. Quite good for ~500$.
There is a furniture-type stand with 3-pedal option to it, making it total ~560$ (saw it on Amazon)
Check it out.

This is probably the best you are going to get within your budget.

You can analyze possible options for 2 or 3 weeks and then end up with something very similar or exactly this ... or .... you can just order it ... done.

Good Luck

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
#2690701 - Yesterday at 06:43 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member
fizikisto  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hernando, MS
Yes, The PX-160 is probably your best option in that price range. It has a surprisingly good action and sound for the money. It doesn't have a lot of built in voices, but you can pair it with a computer for additonal (software based) voices if that is ever important to you. Assuming that you're in the U.S., It's available with an optional stand and triple pedal for under $600. If you check on youtube, there are lots of vidoes of people playing them.

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
#2690703 - Yesterday at 06:55 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
#2690706 - Yesterday at 07:26 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: dmd]  

I've been looking around, and I found a yamaha p115 set for ~$650, with the keyboard, wood stand, 3 pedals, and bench. I was wondering if this would be a good deal you'd recommend I go with, it's on sale till the 22nd: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...Piano-Black-with-Wood-Stand-and-Bench.gc

#2690707 - Yesterday at 07:43 PM Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by One Fish Two Fish
I've been looking around, and I found a yamaha p115 set for ~$650, with the keyboard, wood stand, 3 pedals, and bench. I was wondering if this would be a good deal you'd recommend I go with, it's on sale till the 22nd: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...Piano-Black-with-Wood-Stand-and-Bench.gc

That would be fine, also.

Don

#2690777 - 2 hours ago Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
Oskar Costa Online content
Oskar Costa  Online Content

Check out this guide: https://www.pianodreamers.com/5-best-beginner-keyboards-weighted-keys/
It lists the best keyboards with 88 fully-weighted keys under 500$

#2690784 - 2 hours ago Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania

Don

#2690785 - 1 hour ago Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
Kumi_27 Online content
Kumi_27  Online Content

TG, Poland
I'd add a little and get this

https://www.kraftmusic.com/casio-privia-px-160-digital-piano-black-complete-home-bundle.html (575$)

Because of 3-pedal option (and better looking bench smile )

And by the way, the Yamaha probably doesn't have such pedal in the bundle (there is only stand and bench listed there), and Yamaha LP5A Three-Pedal Unit will cost You another ~80$.
Kraft has a bundle with pedal too - https://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-p-115-digital-piano-black-complete-home-bundle.html and it's 725$

Michael / GEM RP90 / SX-P50
#2690788 - 1 hour ago Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
jokke Online content
jokke  Online Content

Kawai ES-110 is good as well, but $100 more than the P-115 bundle:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/kawai-es110-digital-piano-home-essentials-bundle.html

I would look at the used (or last new items) market to see if there are Kawai ES-100 models with stand around, those can be had for less than $500, and are exceptional value (the ES-100 mechanism is the same as ES-110). The touch is on par with the Privia PX-160, maybe even better. Have one myself at my parents' home to play at.

#2690797 - 11 minutes ago Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: jokke]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by jokke
Kawai ES-110 is good as well, but $100 more than the P-115 bundle:

https://www.kraftmusic.com/kawai-es110-digital-piano-home-essentials-bundle.html

To be precise ....

ES110 = $869.99

P115 = $649.99

That would make it $220 more than the P115 bundle.

Don

#2690801 - 4 minutes ago Re: Digital Piano Recommendations [Re: One Fish Two Fish]  
Osho Online content
Osho  Online Content

If you can stretch your budget to $800, this is a really good option:

Roland RP-400
https://www.adorama.com/rorp400.htm...ium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

A very similar model used to regularly sell at Costco for around $1200.

The SuperNATURAL sound is pretty good - some people love it and some don't - but it is very credible as a first piano sound. You can always go the VST route later on to improve the sound if you like.

It has PHA-IV action - that is pretty good for this price range. In fact their Roland's top of the line PHA-50 action has several similarities with PHA-IV (of course PHA-50 is much better).

Osho

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
P255 and CP300
by Jitin. 11/20/17 10:04 AM
Need Advice--Used Schulze Pollman or New
by AC1. 11/20/17 08:26 AM
Minimum Tuning Pin Torque
by Weiyan. 11/19/17 11:47 PM
What are the best pins?
by cordoba. 11/19/17 06:50 PM
Can't load MP3 files on Kawai ES8
by David Macob. 11/19/17 03:34 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,849
Posts2,673,074
Members89,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission