This question is inspired by How would YOU categorize the sounds of the top grand pianos? and triggered by current sales by Native Instruments and 8dio

From 8dio's site:
1928 Steinway Scoring Piano for soft, emotional pianos or maybe our 1990 Studio Yamaha Piano, which is better suited for Pop and Rock.

From e-instruments's site:
Session Keys Grand S comes with two very distinct sample sets: "Concert" favoured in classic recordings and "Studio" for popular music applications.
(Literally the same is said about their Session Keys Grand Y so it is unclear for me what is a difference between Yamaha and Steinway in their samples)

And so on...

I would like to ask how would YOU categorize the following digital piano in regards to what genre they are better suited:

From Native Instruments:
ALICIA'S KEYS
DEFINITIVE PIANO COLLECTION - THE GENTLEMAN, THE GRANDEUR, THE MAVERICK
THE GIANT
UNA CORDA

8dio:
1928 Steinway Piano for Kontakt
1990 Studio Grand Piano for Kontakt
1971 Estonia Grand Piano for Kontakt
1969 Steinway Piano for Kontakt

E-instruments:
Mentioned above Session Keys Grand S and Session Keys Grand Y

C. Bechstein Digital Grand

Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand

Imperfect samples' Fazioli

VI Labs' Ravenscroft 275

Cinesamples' Piano in Blue

I know there is no definitive answer, a lot of settings and tweaking, different editions of the same piano (IS has 4), etc.
But still I believe for each piano there is a "best usage scenario" (ok, maybe two not one) and some people are switching between pianos for exactly this reason - when they are switching between different kinds of music they play - so maybe those people can share their switching rules smile .

And if I didn't mention here some software piano that YOU can recommend for certain genre I will be happy to hear your recommendation!

Last edited by michaelvi; 11/17/17 01:25 PM.

Started 2016-01-29
Casio Privia PX-760 => Garritan CFX Lite, Ravenscroft 275 => Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 =>ATH-40mx, Sennheiser HD598, JBL LSR305