Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Agent88, Bill McKaig,RPT, Axel Ramge, barbaram, ando, 9 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2686207 - 10/31/17 12:30 PM Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)!  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)!

For those who haven't seen it yet - watch the ENTIRE 6:30 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kV4__tns0Q

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP11(SE), or Kawai VPC1(2), or Kawai Novus NV10, or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2686304 - 11/01/17 12:44 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Thanks for posting!

I like the tonal character of the Ravenscroft 275, however there seems to be quite a lot of compression on this sound...more than other YouTube videos I have heard in the past.

I wonder how this chap is recording his playing, syncing with the video, and the uploading?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
#2686375 - 11/01/17 11:16 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Kawai James]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thanks for posting!

I like the tonal character of the Ravenscroft 275, however there seems to be quite a lot of compression on this sound...more than other YouTube videos I have heard in the past.

I wonder how this chap is recording his playing, syncing with the video, and the uploading?

Kind regards,
James
x

He sent me his settings, but it has to be opened in UVI Workstation - which I don't have.

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP11(SE), or Kawai VPC1(2), or Kawai Novus NV10, or something Yamaha...
#2686391 - 11/01/17 12:09 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
TonyDIGITAL Offline
TonyDIGITAL  Offline

Michigan USA
Hello, I can verify the settings for you if you can send me the file you received: anhtuanhu@yahoo.com - thank you

[Kawai ES100 & VPC1 DPs, Pianoteq Bluethner Model 1, Truekeys Ravenscroft 275 & Garritan CFX Lite VSTs, Ableton Live Lite DAW, Tascam US2x2 Audio Interface, SMSL sApII headphone AMP, Schiit Fulla 2 DAC, Sennheiser HD700 headphone, Presonus E5+T10 studio monitors, Mackie BIG KNOB passive switch]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2686398 - 11/01/17 12:24 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: TonyDIGITAL]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted by TonyDIGITAL
Hello, I can verify the settings for you if you can send me the file you received: anhtuanhu@yahoo.com - thank you

Hi and thanks!

Sent smile

#2686484 - 11/01/17 07:41 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
TonyDIGITAL Offline
TonyDIGITAL  Offline

Michigan USA
Got the file. Thanks
Do you have any proposal how this should be tested?
Do you have a MIDI file that I can use to create the sound?

Last edited by TonyDIGITAL; 11/01/17 07:45 PM.

[Kawai ES100 & VPC1 DPs, Pianoteq Bluethner Model 1, Truekeys Ravenscroft 275 & Garritan CFX Lite VSTs, Ableton Live Lite DAW, Tascam US2x2 Audio Interface, SMSL sApII headphone AMP, Schiit Fulla 2 DAC, Sennheiser HD700 headphone, Presonus E5+T10 studio monitors, Mackie BIG KNOB passive switch]
#2686844 - 11/03/17 11:52 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: TonyDIGITAL]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Got the file. Thanks
Do you have any proposal how this should be tested?
Do you have a MIDI file that I can use to create the sound?

Huh...?

#2687592 - 11/06/17 11:25 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Any feedback and settings list from the several people I sent the file to...? smile

#2687624 - 11/06/17 01:57 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
emenelton Offline
500 Post Club Member
emenelton  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Even though the recording has an 'in the soundboard' sort of texture, I don't think there is a negative quality attributable to compression.

To me it's a wonderful recording. The one thing initially, that seemed like a tell, was the top note in the opening arpeggio which had a funny 'echo' in it; after that I was impressed that the recording sounded as great as it did.

#2687654 - 11/06/17 04:09 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
David B Offline
David B  Offline

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Pologuy
Any feedback and settings list from the several people I sent the file to...? smile

It's better than any 275 setting that I've come up with one my own so far. The only change I made was to cut back the reverb some, and reduce the polyphony to default instead of max because my computer can't handle the max setting.

For now it's my main 275 setting. Thanks for sharing it.

God Bless,
David

Kawai MP-11SE
VILabs: True Keys and Ravenscroft 275
Macbook Air/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-18 Completed
#2687923 - 11/07/17 09:20 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: David B]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted by David B

It's better than any 275 setting that I've come up with one my own so far. The only change I made was to cut back the reverb some, and reduce the polyphony to default instead of max because my computer can't handle the max setting.

For now it's my main 275 setting. Thanks for sharing it.

God Bless,
David

Glad to hear it!

And, of course - glad that he shared it with me! smile

#2689392 - 11/14/17 09:04 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
TonyDIGITAL Offline
TonyDIGITAL  Offline

Michigan USA
Hello, here are some feedback to the preset file shared with us: a mixture of 100% close mic & 50% side mic makes the sound much clearer compared to 100% player mic only like I had before. Also both half pedaling and repedaling are enabled. The velocity setting of -55dB to match the VPC-1 is good (feel good to play) and I have reduced the dynamic range a bit to make it sounds louder since I don't strike that strong (I'm still a beginner). I also reduced the reverb a bit but "clean hall" is a decent setting.
Overall, the setting shared is the best point to start to tweak if you own RV275 and a VPC-1.
Thanks again for sharing
The Ravenscroft 275 is now the best sounding VST I have, followed by PT6. CFX Lite was good before I did these adjustment so it's now on the last page
I'll open a new thread to see whether someone can share a CFX Lite setting for VPC-1 that works well.

Last edited by TonyDIGITAL; 11/14/17 09:07 AM.

#2689405 - 11/14/17 09:37 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
stamkorg Online content
stamkorg  Online Content

Hi guys,

Are you able to shutdown the sound slowly by depressing the pedal on the Ravenscroft?

The half pedaling is the only feature that I found bad on this VST. Very annoying for some pieces when a fine pedaling is needed.

#2689516 - 11/14/17 05:17 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: TonyDIGITAL]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Hello, here are some feedback to the preset file shared with us: a mixture of 100% close mic & 50% side mic makes the sound much clearer compared to 100% player mic only like I had before. Also both half pedaling and repedaling are enabled. The velocity setting of -55dB to match the VPC-1 is good (feel good to play) and I have reduced the dynamic range a bit to make it sounds louder since I don't strike that strong (I'm still a beginner). I also reduced the reverb a bit but "clean hall" is a decent setting.
Overall, the setting shared is the best point to start to tweak if you own RV275 and a VPC-1.
Thanks again for sharing
The Ravenscroft 275 is now the best sounding VST I have, followed by PT6. CFX Lite was good before I did these adjustment so it's now on the last page
I'll open a new thread to see whether someone can share a CFX Lite setting for VPC-1 that works well.

Very interesting...

I wonder if those that thought the CFX was their favorite VST applied these settings... I wonder if they would change their mind... like you have.

#2689527 - 11/14/17 06:37 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
TonyDIGITAL Offline
TonyDIGITAL  Offline

Michigan USA
Just make sure things are not mixed up: I'm using CFX Lite, not the full version hence the lack of side / room mics..

#2689540 - 11/14/17 08:15 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Thanks again for sharing

Very interesting...

I wonder if those that thought the CFX was their favorite VST applied these settings... I wonder if they would change their mind... like you have.

I don't think with many of these personal settings sampled pianos can really be changed in a way to make one love it or hate it all of sudden ( my opinion anyway that's what I find) , if the base sound and timbre is sort of there close to how you want and you like it, then, with some tweaks ... YMMV.

I love playing the ravenscroft in praccy mode as it happens, you get a real sense of poooowaaaar with it too, but I will never love its outright tone or the type of piano to listen to on my sofa so much, or a piano I would pick in real life to buy for that matter, even if I could afford it, based on the recordings at least.

I find that the timbre shift has quite a strong effect though I rather enjoyed fiddling with and it improved it for my taste . There was a sound engineer that came and posted about that once in one of the ravens threads ages ago, personally I shared his sentiments with what he thought on that entirely.

Here is another good guy I found not long ago, you can download his settings from his google drive you can find in the comments fi you like what you hear there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOnukSqiRFc

Interestingly, he too uses a timbre shift of -1, and turns out his settings are quite similar to mine I use in one of the custom presets I use even down to the dynamic settings, ( but I never mix the mics ) I use one set, then I use a bit of verb, typically, I have the timbre shift at -1 or -2 and then use the tone knob a bit to bring back the brightness a bit, overall the timbre is quite different then with a much deeper fatter tone but with less of that twang and bite ... for a better a word. I use minimal verb with room mics ( if any ) and a bit more with the player or close mics. depends on the music, the mood etc.

Ultimately, out of box and the real thing ravenscroft is what it is, and if you love it then great smile , For example, here is a real recording of said instrument. Those middle registers especially are not quite for me, there is too much of a metallic component in the middle registers for my liking, and that reflects in the sampled counterpart with default settings quite well ... IMO of course smile Sometimes I think with the the sound the real ravens go for, they are trying too hard to make that perfect clean sound, almost like a digital when I hear that instrument at times, it can sound so .... pristine.

Gimme a woolly muddy old bosendorfer any day over that laugh

https://youtu.be/KzCUn_Y6Lys?t=46s

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 11/14/17 08:16 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
#2689637 - 11/15/17 02:05 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline

The Ravenscroft is not for everybody and certainly not very suitable for classical music to begin with (that's my opinion).

The more people don't like it the more i can keep it for myself smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_B9TWCvK4

Korg Kronos, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, Garritan CFX lite, Scarlett 18i20, Sony MDR 7506, Yamaha HS80M.
#2689722 - 11/15/17 11:24 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: tdwctdwc]  
Pologuy Offline
Pologuy  Offline

Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted by tdwctdwc
The Ravenscroft is not for everybody and certainly not very suitable for classical music to begin with (that's my opinion).

Not "suitable" for classical music...?

Did you watch the demo? smile

#2689723 - 11/15/17 11:37 AM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
tdwctdwc Offline
tdwctdwc  Offline

Originally Posted by tdwctdwc

Not "suitable" for classical music...?

Did you watch the demo? wink

Fine i'll rephrase Sorry:

"The Ravenscroft excels more in "jazzy" (And i'm using that term in a very general vague way) contexts rather than in classical contexts, mainly because its tone character tends to fall in the niche category.

I for once can't see myself playing a classical piece with it, but hey it's just me and it's only my opinion and i'm sure Vi Labs will disagree with me if i sent them an email telling them this lol.

More so, i've witnessed pianists either love it on first encounter or completely hate it. Those who love it (like i do) will never play any other piano vsti and will become loyal hardcore fans of it."

Better now ?

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 11/15/17 11:54 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_B9TWCvK4

Korg Kronos, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, Garritan CFX lite, Scarlett 18i20, Sony MDR 7506, Yamaha HS80M.
#2689736 - 11/15/17 12:43 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Pologuy]  
Osho Online content
Osho  Online Content

I have standardized on 2 VSTs: one modeled (Pianoteq 6) and one sampled (Garritan CFX). Perhaps there are better options (such as Ravenscroft with these settings) - but my personal philosophy is to stop tinkering with VSTs and focus more on improving my playing. It is hard as I love to tinker but I am holding the fort so far smile.

Osho

#2689754 - 11/15/17 02:14 PM Re: Excellent demo of Ravenscroft 275 (and Kawai VPC1)! [Re: Osho]  
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by Osho

I have standardized on 2 VSTs: one modeled (Pianoteq 6) and one sampled (Garritan CFX). Perhaps there are better options (such as Ravenscroft with these settings) - but my personal philosophy is to stop tinkering with VSTs and focus more on improving my playing. It is hard as I love to tinker but I am holding the fort so far smile.

Osho

The only piano I got onto heavily tinkering with was pteq a year more ago, and learned quite a bit how it works and what does what, the others very limited, usually the first few day I own them play around to see what does what, I jut have a few presets after that and play.

The other side of that story is I see frequent discussions where people endlessly play with velocity curves, whereas I take the approach, leave it, lets try and get used to the instrument first of all and gets used to its feel and adapt accordingly to extract what you want, that often work well after a few days in most cases ( for me ).

I find one can adapt to the touch/response of an instrument, just like with a real piano you can't change it, but you have to adapt, I find that approach more beneficial to me. Sometimes I peak the velocity curve earlier if I need loud fortes because my piano pretty much maxes out at midi values 115 or so, I found this particularly important with the ravenscroft where it very much felt like I was hitting a strange volume plateau if I didn't do that, but it would only manifest itself under rather very loud passages. tweaking the curve solved that.

Generally I leave touch curves alone and more likely play with the dynamics setting a bit if I feel it is needed now and then.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Chinese made Baldwin 7 foot grand
by 7naturals. 11/22/17 01:23 AM
Moonlight Sonata Sostenuto
by Weiyan. 11/22/17 12:53 AM
Experience with Redbird, Concertpianos, and “Maestro”?
by Duke of Dunning. 11/21/17 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,879
Posts2,673,446
Members89,168
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission