2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:briangmoore
Experience:a few years
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Monday
Composer:Ludovido Einaudi
Duration:06:03
Source of music:Einaudi "Islands" sheet music compilation
Instrument used:older acoustic upright
Recording method:Zoom H2, boosted volume and cropped/exported in Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Thanks to this group and all the participants it has been a great help for me in improving and extending my playing! I have not had time to post anything in a while but I have listened to the recitals and been inspired by the playing and the pieces I have heard!

One thing that has surprised me is that I have seen one of the biggest impacts of listening to the recitals is that it has led me to so much new music, of an approachable level for a beginner/intermediate player. Even the very hard pieces, sometimes it helps to hear them played by an amateur/"beginner" as it gives you an idea of how you might approach the piece.

Since the first recitals I listened to, I was taken by the Einuadi pieces (I had never heard him before). And in the last year I began playing some of them. So this is the result of that effort.

I have been especially inspired by the playing of CarlosCC and lyricmudra, who have previously submitted this piece (that I know of), and my playing will probably show that influence, though it does not reach that level quality!

In addition, the many other people in this group who have submitted Einaudi pieces have very much filled me with enthusiasm to begin playing his pieces. For some reason, Recital 39 was particularly influential with me (I still have it on my iPod), with playing by Monica K, CarlosCC, Inlanding-Glen, MarieJ, and Medden(Simon), and I might have missed someone else there!

There is a lot more to tell, but this is too long already,

What I do is I skip lunch at the university where I work, and I play in the practice rooms, so never a lunch on the days I play!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Keselo
Experience:10 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkvpFR_IfeA
Title of piece:Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2)
Composer:Gurlitt
Duration:02:01
Source of music:Sheet music, published by Schirmer
Instrument used:Lester L7C
Recording method:I use two microphones, which are connected to a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface, which is connected to my laptop, on which I use Audacity.
Additional info:I'm fairly happy with this piece, though I think we all know the feeling of always finding little things to improve on. There's a wrong note in there somewhere, but unless you're reading the score, I don't think it's very easy to tell.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Roger Ransom
Experience:65 years. Not a beginner, not Classical, not Jazz. Not sure where I belong.
Title of piece:Ebb Tide
Composer:Robert Maxwell
Duration:03:35
Source of music:Lead Sheet from Warner Bros. Standards Real Book.
Instrument used:Roland FP80
Recording method:Direct to Flashdrive
Additional info:I tried to emulate rolling waves as far as piano effects can go.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:5 years and a half
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4EfxfEZA2o
Title of piece:River City Blues
Composer:Martha Mier
Duration:01:47
Source of music:RCM Etudes Level 6
Instrument used:Yamaha W110BW
Recording method:iPhone 7
Additional info:From RCM Etudes Level 6, or book 5 of Martha Mier's Jazz, Rags & Blues series.

The challenge here was the stride bass. It's a "slow, bluesy swing", so the tempo wasn't demanding, but I had a hard time with the big leaps in both hands. This recording is quite confident with only a single hesitation, so it's definitely a keeper smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:chopinoholic (Paul de Koning)
Experience:Long time
Video link:https://youtu.be/rsa733oBzdQ
Title of piece:ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor
Composer:Chopin, Frederic
Duration:10:01
Source of music:Henle Urtext edition
Instrument used:Pleyel 205 grand from 1977
Recording method:Zoom H4n with Superlux s502 mic
Additional info:First submission since a couple of recitals.

The first ballade is about two lovers struggling, arguing and fighting but there's still some love in between. I think it's about the relationship of Chopin and Sand, but I'm not sure. Maybe other members are more knowledgeable!

I have been studying this Ballade seriously since the 21st of April. I was already playing bits and pieces like so many people, but the hard parts were never touched or seriously studied.
Since I got the green light from my teacher to begin with the piece, it felt official and I started to learn.
It is still a work in progress (isn't everything?) and I could name quite a few things which need more study. I'm going to performance it in a teacher's student recital in april next year. So I've still got plenty of time to study! It feels great to play this piece reasonably well.

Feel free to comment on my submission in any way you want!

Btw this is the first time I posted a Youtube video. Making a video was always something I wanted to try. So I used a scrunchy to tie my phone to my daughter's music-stand and aimed it at my hands. The sound is as usual with the zoom h4n and the superlux mic. It took some time to put the sound and video together and In the vergunning they're together but later the Sound creeps ahead.

Most important, I really hope you enjoy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:19 months
Title of piece:Chorale Be Content BWV 512
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:10
Source of music:J. S. Bach - Selections from Anna Magdalena's Notebook, Alfred Publishing Co
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to USB, WAV normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:This is E minor version of three versions of the sacred song Gib dich zufrieden (Be Content) - BWV 510, 511 and 512, all part of the 1725 2nd notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. The author of the song text is Paul Gerhardt (1666). German text and different translations are available at http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Texts/IndexTexts9.htm.

Thanks for listening.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Newbert
Experience:About 4 years, after re-starting after a 45-50 year gap.
Title of piece:All The Way
Composer:Sammy Cahn
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Kawai VPC-1
Recording method:Pianoteq 6
Additional info:I've missed the last several quarterly recitals since I had no new pieces ready enough to present. I finally got this Kent Hewitt arrangement into somewhat decent shape and didn't want to miss another recital. So, here it is.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:pines9876
Experience:0 years, 10 months
Title of piece:Snowy Sky
Composer:Kosemura, Akira
Duration:01:39
Source of music:I scored the piece from listening to it.
Instrument used:Kawai CA-97, SK-5 Grand Piano (customized)
Recording method:Directly by the digital piano
Additional info:This is my first submission - very excited to be happy with something to submit after 10 months.

As background, I was a (bad) piano student for a couple of years when I was a small kid, but transitioned to singing for most of my youth as I had much more talent for singing than I did for piano. Then, at the beginning of this year, I re-picked up the piano at the age of 44, and I've been teaching myself since then.

The piece, "Snowy Sky," was just released in September on Akira Kosemura's new album entitled "In the Dark Woods." When I listened to the song, I really liked it AND I thought that I could play it. Since the song was just released, there was no score, so I first had to score it and then learn it, which was fun. I think this is the first Kosemura piece to be featured in this recital series - hopefully you enjoy it!

This ended up being a great piece to learn for an advanced beginner such as myself - very fun. It definitely took a lot of work to get everything down...this was the first time I had to work on seventh triads with the left hand. In listening to it, I wish that I had been a bit more consistent with the rhythm and that I had a bit more of a light touch on both hands. I do need to work a bit more on my dynamics.

Still, not bad for 10 months. I'm pretty happy where I'm at, although I do feel like I'm at a point where a teacher would be helpful to identify my weaknesses and keep pushing me to get better. That will probably happen in the next couple of months, although I'm probably going to focus on pop rather than classical going forward.

Any feedback much appreciated!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:fishandchips
Experience:1 year
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-197203213
Title of piece:Morning Prayer
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:28
Instrument used:Yamaha P45
Recording method:Pianoteq

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:50+ years
Title of piece:Impromptu Op.90 no.4
Composer:Schubert
Duration:06:58
Source of music:Peters Edition
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:When choosing pieces for these recitals I have always tried to choose pieces that are not too frequently played. Lately I have also avoided pieces that are too long (with a few exceptions). This time, however, I have violated my principles and chosen a very popular piece, and with a duration of 7 minutes. The risk is, of course, that my listeners are bored to death. And it is very difficult to meet the expectations of the audience when the reference almost certainly is one of the great master pianists.
Still I decided to play the fourth Schubert impromptu (Op.90/4) this time. Mainly because Schubert is one of my favorite composers, and the fact that I haven't played anything by Schubert here before.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:h8dk97
Experience:Taking lessons since September 2015
Title of piece:Invention# 4
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:30
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha w106b
Recording method:Zoom H4n Pro
Additional info:1. Have to keep working on those trills ...
2. Need to spend some time with Zoom manual, not happy with the recording quality at all but that's probably me not doing something I'm supposed to be doing

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AZ_Astro
Experience:Coming up on 6 years now! Sigh.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4-Socglp-I
Title of piece:Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite
Composer:Agay, Denes
Duration:01:04
Source of music:This is one of 10 "Easy Pieces in 18th Century Style Dance Melodies" by Denes Agay. The Title of the book is Petit Trianon Suite and was published in 1974.
Instrument used:Korg SP-250 digital keyboard as midi input to Garritan CFX PC software. I used Ivory II's Cantibile software for recording.
Recording method:Recorded using Ivory II Cantibile software.
Additional info:I learned this piece about 3 weeks ago so it represents quite a departure for me. Most of my previous submission were polished over months of time. This one was quickly done.

I tried to do this one right - work out the fingerings, memorize (trying never to play with incorrect fingerings), practice the trouble spots over and over.

I still needed about 30 attempts at recording and the piece (especially the ending) is still pretty rough...

But - the piece is so pretty that I had to share it with everyone.

Dr. Huckleberry (UI Pedagogy project) plays the same piece beautifully at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9gSCr5tjg

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:a bunch
Video link:https://youtu.be/r5SrsgUwY6Y
Title of piece:Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC
Composer:Bach, J. S,
Duration:04:24
Instrument used:Morley Harpsichord, 7 foot, double manual from 1969
Additional info:Look at the video and you will see what I spent my spare time doing for the last year and a half - rebuilding this harpsichord. It was unplayable with missing parts. I refinished it, new strings, new plectra, constructed new case parts, and voiced it. Now it plays! I really did not want to make another video - they are a lot of trouble, but I had to show the instrument. The audio/video are not quite synced, I think.

It is very difficult for me to play this on the harpsichord without mistakes, so I apologize for all the errors. Its much better on the piano, honest! I actually prefer it on the piano, since I can bring out the voices and do some dynamics. No dynamics on the harpsichord, at least not without moving from keyboard to keyboard, and I am not good enough for that yet.

Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Alexander Borro
Experience:3.5 years - self-taught
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Title of piece:In Church Op. 39 No. 24
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:02:13
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Casio Celviano AP450
Recording method:digital to PC, Ivory American D Steinway VST.
Additional info:Seems I am the Tchaikovsky groove still since the last recital laugh Still working through many of the pieces in the album for the young. The last recital was a Morning prayer and felt this piece "In Church" is a great follow up to that in a similar(ish) vain.

Next time around if I do more pieces from this album I'll do more of the lively ones, like the Italian song and the Mazurka, after so much pedal stuff lately and now done with this one I am finding myself in much more of a staccato mood the last few days. smile I am finding this album pure joy to work through, full of gems, though it is hard work !

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/9mEGsYMZ6RQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1)
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:02:31
Source of music:Henle edition sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA 97 with Kawai SK-EX Concert Grand voice
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Just a little bagatelle, for your enjoyment...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:mel_lem/Melanie
Experience:12 years as a child. Restarted since December 2016.
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/mel_lem22/tracks
Title of piece:Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779
Composer:J. S. Bach
Duration:01:08
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-120
Recording method:Live audio recorded through line-in into Garageband running on iPad.
Additional info:This is one of my favorite Bach's Inventions. I learned this piece in September, as part of my pieces in the 40 pieces a year challenge. For this recital, I was working on polishing it and picking up on speed. I can't really tell, but I hope I am presenting an improved version.

Thank you for listening! This is my third recital in PW. More to come!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Moo smile
Experience:13
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JTbZIL3Ac
Title of piece:Songs without words op 30 no 1
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:06:08

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SandTiger
Experience:5+ years
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Avenue D
Composer:SandTiger
Duration:02:19
Source of music:Original music
Instrument used:Casio PX-150 digital piano
Recording method:On board recording, piped to a voice recorder, then to the laptop. Used Audacity to boost the gain.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:I submitted this piece for the recital a couple of years ago. At that time, it was half-baked, and the recording wasn't pleasing. Avenue D remains one of my favorites, and also gets compliments when played live. So another recording of the same piece.

Avenue D is a local street in my town. The fingers "travel" up and down the keyboard along the D scale.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://youtu.be/W0nxyjt8aUk
Title of piece:Melody in Ab Major
Composer:Farrenc
Duration:02:15
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Kawai CS7 + VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 VST
Additional info:Another new composer for another new recital. Louise Farrenc (1804-1875) was a French composer, virtuoso pianist and teacher.

This is an obscure little gem without an opus number. I especially love it when the theme appears again for the second time underneath the high treble notes floating peacefully above it.

I had wanted to play this piece for a while but couldn't find the sheet music. So a special thanks to the kind soul who uploaded the sheet music onto IMSLP a couple of months ago.

I also would love your suggestions on similar obscure gems that you've come across. I wish these gems can be more well known.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lvojnovic
Experience:2 years
Title of piece:Prelude 1913
Composer:Ravel
Duration:01:40
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CN41
Recording method:audacity
Additional info:I have been playing this one for a couple of months now and I am still working on the interpretation part. Every feedback is welcome.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission