Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
146 registered members (agent8698, Almaviva, anotherscott, Allysia, 36 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2690577 - 11/19/17 06:18 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2) Only 10 months and you are playing this beautifully controlled piece? Well done!

22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide You certainly achieved your goal with rolling waves - what a special arrangement. I loved it.

23. sinophilia - River City Blues Relaxing and laid back - the pace was perfect. Absolutely a keeper!

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor Wow - superb playing on a magnificent piano. (And congratulations on your first video - was that really captured with only your phone and a scrunchy?)

25. Piano2138 - Chorale Be Content BWV 512 Short and very sweet - you handled this with confidence and style. Nice!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-XLVIII

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - STILL my idea of happiness.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2690581 - 11/19/17 08:38 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Florida
22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide
Roger, wow, well done. Love those massive waves of arpeggios, yielding gradually to a gentle swing style. Very fitting for this kind of romantic ballad. Great playing.

23. sinophilia - River City Blues
Sinophilia, great playing, very relaxed and bluesy. Yes, that stride target bombing is never easy, but it sure sounds good! In spite of your struggles, you sound like you’re a natural at it.

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor
Paul, wow, I am in awe. This is a piece that I love with a passion, and you played it superbly. What an accomplishment! Color make green with envy.

26. Newbert - All The Way
Neubert, well done, I liked it. Lots of moving lines to keep it interesting. I'm going to have to check out some of those Kent Hewitt arrangements.

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2690619 - 11/19/17 12:26 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer
Very nicely performed. Thanks for sharing it with us.

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4 Wow! That was very impressive. I very much enjoyed your performance. Schubert is among my favorite composers, too. And some of his Impromptus are right there at the top of the list. Bravo!

30. h8dk97 - Invention# 4
I think you did a good job with this, and I enjoyed listening to it. I felt like you were a little uncertain and hesitant about playing some of the notes, but your confidence will surely come as you continue to practice. Well done!

31. AZ_Astro - Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite
You did pretty darned well with this piece, considering that you only worked on it for 3 weeks. And it is indeed a pretty little countryish/folkish sounding composition. Nice choice and good work!

32. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC
How cool that you’ve restored your harpsichord to a working state! I’ve never had the opportunity Tom play one myself, but I’ve always wanted to—mostly because I wanted to get a sense for what its action feels like.

You did a good job with this Prelude and Fugue. Because you’ve already indicated that you play it better on piano, I won’t in any way critique it here, as I couldn’t possibly offer any harpsichord technical tips anyway. Well done on your restoration work and on your P and F work.

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24
Very nice little piece, and I think you did a really nice job with it. I enjoyed your performance.

34. JoBert - Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1)
That was very well done. I enjoyed your performance, particularly your expression. Great work!

#2690659 - 11/19/17 02:40 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
31 AZ Astro

It is a pretty piece and sounds so full, so rich. Good sound, sound playing. Wish I could learn something in 3 weeks . . .well done!

32 Sam S

Superb instrument, Sam, and great playing! That sounded so good. The harpsichord must've swept all before it when it appeared. And yours is lovely.

33 Alexander Borro

Love these Tchaik works. They have such feeling. Your playing is spot on. I have that album too, and work from it now and again.

34 JoBert

Easy listening from you and your Kawai. You make it sound easy, flows lovely and lightly. Nice job.

35 Melanie

Super work here, lass. Who can fault this? Sounds suitably twangy and creates the right atmosphere. Lovely!

36 Moo

I enjoyed this. Right speed, nicely played. Sounds difficult; it's a;ways difficult to play a 6 minuter anyway! Well done.

37 Sand Tiger

I don't think anyone'll write a song about my street . . . stuffed full o' parked cars and busses trying to squeeze through . . .Nice recording and a good listen. Good work!

38 Pika Pianist

Such a lovely pro sound, performance. Looks good under the darkness; a bit of romantic charm.

39 Ivojnovic

Great song but sounds hard, and abstract-ish. You might well have to work out your own development on this, but you sound like it's coming together wonderfully.

40 Michiya-Fir

Typical of Mozart to pull about a child's song into a masterpiece. (It was probably the other way round) I'm currently doing K331 which is similar, but I'm pulling that about too. The humour shines through, and it's a great change from the norm in classical circles.
Splendid job on this; the loud bits charge through, and the more languid parts are so captivating. It can be bloody hard though! Splendid!

41 Peterws

Do I detect a bit o' cheating here, ole lad?? You'll not get through yer exam doin' that, you know . . . .(sharp end o' the ruler wacks knucles)

Great work, guys. Been a pleasure to listen to y'all as usual!

Last edited by peterws; 11/19/17 03:51 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2690685 - 11/19/17 05:11 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
42 Schin L

Good for you, man! This doesn't sound over your head; time will allow you to pull it around to best advantage like the pros . . . . .forget the metronome approach; the beat is variable according to your wishes . . .Great stuff; see you around in another 3 months!

43 joan golfing

How does anyone play anything without looking at the notes? Several bridges too far from me. Heck, ya did well! Great effort.

44 Richard

This sounds like a fine performance and recording. So hard to get 'em both blob on, just don't expect tech critique from me! Unusual but nice, man. How's that?? smile

45 Kalos Piano

What a sound! And what playing! 'Nuff said; Excellent. Irrespective of the time you spent learning.

46 Fouyaut

Can't understand your teacher; this is truly lovely lovely; the tune, the playing and the recording which makes me want an acoustic.

47 Ralphiano

Good work here Ralph. You've taught yourself well! Like to hear a longer one next time . . . .

48 Piano Primo

This isn't easy; you are making a good stab at this, and time will bring things along as it does. I liked particularly the Bach Chorale.

49 Underconstruction

Great tune; full of little bite sized challenges. You are playing well; very deliberately and very precisely too. So, you will play it as fast and expressive as you like very shortly. I still trip up on this and could never play it in public. Nice, nice!

Thanks to The Team for putting this on. Your work has been invaluable to us all. Great recital. I'm nearly done for the next one too!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
#2690691 - 11/19/17 05:45 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
CebuKid  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

05. Whizbang (Chris) - Gladiolus Rag

Holy cow, Whizbang...love your playing!! Gladioulous is a tough rag, and WAY over my head, but you played it awesome... I have no technical feedback (I'm not a theorist like you are), but just loved your tempo and dynamics. You did this piece great justice, man. It reminded me a lot of Rifkin's version.....not too fast. I absolutely hate fast versions of this piece...it's so elegant sounding that it has to be slow to fully enjoy the musicality, and that's exactly what you did....this is probably my favorite version on YouTube.. I couldn't stand BachScholar's version..lol BRAVO!

PS- great job representing Joplin for this recital!

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
#2690712 - 11/19/17 08:25 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MeganR Offline
MeganR  Offline

Near Yosemite, California
18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato I learned this Sonatina also and really enjoyed it. You did a great job with it, enjoy your time with the second movement also!

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I) This is a fun piece! This is probably heresy but there's a phrase in this that reminds me of that Camp Grenada song from the sixties.

20. briangmoore - Monday Indeed, most dedicated to skip lunch! Really enjoyed listening, your enjoyment of the piece shines through.

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2) What a beautiful piece! Your playing was so expressive. I'm also rather tempted to add this one to the "to do" list.

22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide Holy moly, this is great! Loved loved loved this piece.

23. sinophilia - River City Blues Really enjoyed your easy relaxed playing on this piece, this one also sent me on a little journey through other River Cities and blues bands. So much fun. On a side note, way back in the day, I used to go to a music club in the next town over called River City.

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor Beautiful, impressive, I got lost listening so I had to listen again.

25. Piano2138 - Chorale Be Content BWV 512 Well done, this is one of my favorite pieces from the Notebook.

Aria BWV 508 from Anna Magdalena's Notebook, WoO13 #1 Beethoven German Dance, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32, JS Bach Prelude in C BWV 846 / Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
#2690727 - 11/19/17 11:22 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline

35. mel_lem/Melanie - Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779
Wow! You played that so perfectly. Great job!

36. Moo smile - Songs without words op 30 no 1
You did a good job with this piece. You’ve managed to bring out the melody pretty well in most of it. (I’m especially aware of some of the challenges involved in learning this piece, as I myself learned it a little while ago, too.) I personally prefer hearing this piece at a somewhat faster tempo, but perhaps your current slower tempo is temporary, due to it being early in your learning process. At any rate, you’ve done good work!

37. SandTiger - Avenue D Your interest in composing is respect worthy. Nice work.

38. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major
Charming little piece, played expertly and with great expression. Bravo!

39. lvojnovic - Prelude 1913
Very nice performance of a piece with which I was unfamiliar but that I really liked. Thanks for sharing.

#2690731 - 11/19/17 11:43 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Florida

Fishandchips, wonderfully expressive, with a contemplative, reflective feeling. Beautiful!

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4
Ganddalf, that was gorgeous. Bored? No way, I loved every minute of it and then some. A remarkable performance in every way.

Sam, that was both impressive and enjoyable. They are always preaching to us that if we want to develop hand independence, we should practice Bach, and when I watch you playing this piece I can see why. Great work! Quite an accomplishment – renovating that harpsichord.

Alexander, a solid performance, well played and recorded. I feel as if I were indeed in church!

34. JoBert - Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1)
Jobert, nicely done, you play with a light touch that is just perfect for this kind of music.

#2690758 - 11/20/17 03:59 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
UnderConstruction Offline
UnderConstruction  Offline

Australia
Wonderfully played, great progress for 1 year!

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4
Love Schubert, glad you chose something "famous" this time around. Guess there are reasons why certain pieces become very popular / famous, usually for good attributes! Always good to hear something familiar, especially when very well played. Thank you Ganddalf.

Love the sound of the harpsichord! Obviously a lot of care and attention was put into this restoration, congratulations! Good to have a historically accurate performance. smile

Thanks for sharing another gem! Having been thinking of teaching my partner a few pieces, and these pieces from the Album for the Young are great short term targets to work towards and musically rewarding!

Beautiful! Your instrument has a very special character to it, and it works well with this piece. Whats the piano you are playing on?

As always, a brilliant performance! Special thank you for sharing this beautiful piece, after the first few bars, I opened up my web browser and started looking for it on IMSLP. Its a great discovery!

42. Schin L - Nocturne op.9 no.2
Good on you for attempting this 3 month after returning! You got the essence, and indeed, would lay off the pedal a lot more, as for the left hand, what helped when I was doodling around with this piece was to practice playing the left hand "soft-loud-soft, soft-loud-soft, etc" with the triplets. And if all else fails, change the "touch" setting on your keyboard! smile

Still deciding whether I am playing for fun or playing to improve... leaning towards fun :-)
2017 Feurich 218
#2690775 - 11/20/17 07:58 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
1. SMA55- I always love this piece. You really do a great job with it. I agree totally with what you say about first recordings. mistakes and all, they are more often than not the most honest and emotional. When you keep going trying for the "perfect recording" you can end up with a sterile performance. I found this recording very moving.

2. MeganR- That was a delightful listen! It sounds like you had fun playing it. (which should be the point right?)

4. Ralf L- I guess I'll repeat what I said above for Megan, it sounds like you had fun playing. I remember when I got my first keyboard and I went to town with all the sounds. It's endless.

5. Whizbang- Dang, you are really good at this stuff!! smile You play this like you have done it your whole life. I'm not a huge ragtime fan but I could listen to and watch you play all day.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

#2690786 - 11/20/17 09:14 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
casinitaly  Offline

Italy
After a busy weekend, I finally had some time to get started on these treats!

First a few thank yous to :
Whizbang, Pianist685, SwissMs, MonicaK, Alexander (I agree, if you can't do it in one or two takes, you're not ready!) Mel lem, (I will have to check out Bill Evan's version, thanks for mentioning it!) Peyton (Sorry it's sad for you - I find it hopeful, a sad parting, but optimisic!), Piano primo 1, SMA55, cmb13, peterws, pianoduck, Riddler (Wow - Ed, sounds like music has been a big part of your family life , all your life - what great memories!) MarieJ, (I am especially glad you felt that I was enjoying myself, because.... I REALLY was!) Megan R.

The comments I get from my fellow ABFers always mean a lot to me. It's such a pleasure to make it through the red dot and do something that folks can actually enjoy and have fun listening too! Thank you everyone!

Now, on to what I enjoyed listening to this morning!

01. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Consolation No. 3 (to do)
Shepherd, this is lovely. I'm not very familiar with the Consolations, so any wee flubs just floated by me. You really caught the mood of this piece and played it beautifully, it flowed like a gentle waterfall from your fingergtips. What a simply splendid way to start the recital.

02. MeganR - Sonatina in C Major Op 36 No 1 Lovely performance Megan! I'd much rather hear a clean crisp version than one that is rushed and messy - you did a great job on this sonatina, (which I have to confess is one of my favourites). You were very faithful to the style, and the spirit of the piece- Bravissima!

03. MarieJ - The Crane Dance You've clearly got the Einaudi "bug" smile There's great flowing smoothness in your performance of this evocative piece.

04. Ralph L. - Auld Lang Syne (piano+keyboard) ah, that's good fun! I always feel misty-eyed when I hear this piece. I liked your "band"! Bravo!

05. Whizbang (Chris) - Gladiolus Rag I may have heard this in the Joplin recital, but I honestly don't remember--- in anyevent, WOW! - I love the delicate aspects of this rag that contrast with the bolder parts and the overall balance. This is bright and cheery and so evocative of the period and genre - and it has an elegance that shows Joplin's development in composition. Absolutely delightful!

06. blackjack1777 - "Fur Elise" Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor (WoO 59, Bia 515) It's lovely to hear this little gem played so well. It very often gets mistreated, but you treated it kindly and brought out it's best elements. Good work on the dynamics and bringing out both the playfulness and the drama. I really enjoyed listening to your performance.

07. earlofmar - Invention No 3 I have yet to try an Invention - I love how the difference voices weave in and out of each other and I can hear how tricky it has to be to manage them. Well done indeed!

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Etude Op. 45 No. 15, "Warrior's Song" Heller wrote some really great music - and he's so much fun to play. This was beautifully bombastic and dramatic. Very exciting music played with gusto - I loved it!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Qing Ge (Love Song) How lovely to year your Bosie again! Your skills are in constant development Doris, every time I hear you play there is more refinement and elegance, you're able to do so much and add nuances to every aspect of your playing, it is really a joy to listen to anything you play. This piece was charming - quite romantic (even without looking at the title one might guess it is a love song!) - Heart stirring music to be sure. Complimenti!

11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World This is another old favourite - and you're definitely on the right track with your piano work. Nicely balanced, smooth, and with all the flavour this piece asks for. If I had been able to play this well at 14 months, I'd have been quite proud of myself- I hope you are!

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows A drone - what a cool addition to your performance presenation! Some of your shots made me think of the Italian photographer Franco Fontana, who really likes to play with light and lines. We live in an agricultural belt and see similar scenes around us but the colours are very very different. The music of course is the main thing though -- and it was really wonderful. Soothing, with a tranquility that would match the dawn (rather than day's end I think) - optimistic, joyful, full of contentment and promise for the new day.

13. Monica K. - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete This reminds me of another piece, the name of which is hovering at the edge of my memory....but it is one I know I love..... I will go mad until I remember what it is! --- As always, you play these pieces with a fluency and fluidity that respects the style and intentions of the composer. This is a very soothing piece - and I have to say I think this might be the one I like best out of all the Einaudi's I've heard. There's a conversation going on in this piece and it's the first time I've really felt drawn to an Einaudi -wow. You get an extra round of applause from me!

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody Hi Ed, I really liked this piece! I have just started learing to use lead sheets so I have an even greater appreciation for your performance here! This piece is really representative of its era, (one that I am particularly fond of) - I felt like kicking back with a peaty scotch to enjoy this --- but it's a bit early in the day for that. Most enjoyable indeed!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post), McDowell To a Wild Rose
#2690806 - 11/20/17 11:15 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SwissMS Offline
2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
Thanks to Monica, Alexander Borro, Peterws, Peyton, Ralph L., AZ Astro, UnderConstruction, Marie J, SMA55, mel_lem, shinl, pianoduck, Riddler, piano primo 1,keselo, Megan R, cmb13, and Casinitaly for your kind comments! Also thanks to all of the performers for bringing together some great listening and introducing me to new music!

#2690814 - 11/20/17 11:44 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline

40. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265
Wow! I remember tackling these variations in my first year of lessons. I distinctly remember feeling that these were diffficult to play, especially one after another. Now, 2 1/2 years later, listening to you play them, I STILL think they sound difficult! But you did a great job! I’m impressed!

41. peterws - Novelette 1 in C
Wonderful playing, Peter! This does not at all sound like an easy piece, so I can understand why you would have struggled with this in the past. But you certainly seem to have it under control now. Well done!

Yes, indeed. Recording oneself for the first time can truly be an eye-opening experience. But wait until the first time you videotape yourself—that may add insult to injury. It sure did for me.
With regards to your performance of this Nocturne, I think you are well on your way. You did a great job playing the right notes. That’s half the battle. And you are already aware that your left hand is playing too heavily and that your pedaling needs to be cleaner. Once you get your left hand to play more lightly and you clean up your pedaling, you can try adding some rubato judiciously to the right hand, in order to give this piece a daintier and freer feel. These will both do wonders for your performance. But good work so far!

43. joangolfing - March BVW Anhang 122
You don’t say how long you’ve been playing. So it’s difficult to gauge the kind of constructive feedback to give. But I enjoyed listening to your performance. Thanks for sharing it with us.

44. Richard (zrtf90) - Asturias (Leyenda)
Really interesting and enjoyable piece. And you play it so well! It does indeed sound difficult, but my guess is that it’s probably a little less difficult to play on guitar than it is on piano. Is this true? At any rate, wonderful job!

#2690876 - 11/20/17 03:38 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MeganR Offline
MeganR  Offline

Near Yosemite, California
26. Newbert - All The Way Really enjoyed this - I have to admit I didn't know the original classic, so these "fresh ears" really appreciated.

27. pines9876 - Snowy Sky A lovely light touch, and I'm impressed at your work in scoring it yourself!

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer Wonderfully expressive, reverent and meditative.

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4 Count me as another who hasn't explored Schubert, you've inspired me! Beautifully played.

30. h8dk97 - Invention# 4 Well done, I adore Bach and loved listening to this invention. Your hard work shows.

31. AZ_Astro - Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite This piece is super, I'm also impressed that you did so well after only 3 weeks. I did follow your link and ended up listening to the whole suite, appreciate the introduction to this work.

32. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC Wow, oh wow, that is great, the Bach, the playing, the video, the instrument! Just everything.

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24 Agreed, this is another gem, and beautifully played.

Aria BWV 508 from Anna Magdalena's Notebook, WoO13 #1 Beethoven German Dance, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32, JS Bach Prelude in C BWV 846 / Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
#2690914 - 11/20/17 07:09 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline

04. Ralph L. - Auld Lang Syne (piano+keyboard)
I apologize for the delay, but I wasn’t sure about what I wanted to say about this submission. You see, I’m not a big fan of merely doubling other instruments with piano, without interactive harmonies between the instruments. But I can certainly appreciate the effort that you put into this arrangement. Good job!

45. Kalos Piano - The Clear Stream
Short but sweet, played very well. Good work!

46. Fouyaut - Fugue op. 35 no.2
Very smoothly and evenly played. Well done!

47. Ralphiano (Ralph) - La Poupee (The Doll)
Another short but sweet one. And you did very well with this, Ralph—even without considering your having been away from the piano, due to injuries resulting from a crash. So you you did great, especially considering your accident! Hope you continue on the path to full recovery.

48. Piano_Primo - Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 in B flat minor.Shortened Version, 2. Bach Choral BWV 514
You’ve undertaken a somewhat difficult piece in the Bb Minor Nocturne. I’m not sure of your piano experience level, as your notes say merely “8” (is that months or years?). So it’s difficult to know the kind of feedback that might be appropriate here. But I appreciate the effort you’ve made with this piece. Keep up the good work!

49. UnderConstruction - Debussy - Arabesque 1
Very nicely played! I realize that you haven’t yet finished preparing this piece but decided to submit it for this recital anyway. But I can already imagine what the final product will be, based on where you are now. And it’s going to get even better! Excellent work on a piece that is not at all easy. Oh, and congratulations on your new piano. It sounds great!

#2690923 - 11/20/17 09:01 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
khopin Offline
khopin  Offline

Uruguay
1. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Consolation No. 3
Very well played. I liked to hear it a lot.

4. Ralph L. - Auld Lang Syne (piano+keyboard)
Good work! My only advice is trying to keep your left wrist up, like your right hand.
Keep working

5. Whizbang (Chris) - Gladiolus Rag
Seams to be a tricky piece! Very good performance, technically and interpretation.

7. earlofmar - Invention No 3
I think you have achieved a good level of the piece. Bach has very challenges, having to follow 2 melodies at a time for instance.

11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World
Great job in 14 months! Very nice interpretation. I really like the song.

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows
A lot of work in the video production! I liked the piece too, very nice.

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor
Big chalenge!!!!! I was very impressed, you achieved a very high level in this master piece. Enjoyable for sure.
Congratulation!!

42 Schin L - Nocturne op.9 no.2
Something similar happened to me some years ago, I started playing again after 20 years. But then I discovered the magic of Chopin.
The piece is ok, but as you said, you definitely need more control of the pedal smile
Welcome back to the piano!

Working on:
Chopin Impromptu Fantasie Op.66
Chopin Mazurka Op 33 No 4

DP: Kawai CA65
#2690924 - 11/20/17 09:05 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
26. Newbert - All The Way That was a great arrangement of a lovely old standard - I really enjoyed your performance!

27. pines9876 - Snowy Sky Many reasons to be impressed - a pleasing composition, your light touch, the fact that you are only 10 months into your piano journey, AND that you scored the music yourself! I’d be more than just ‘pretty happy’ with that. Welcome to the Recitals!

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer Deep, rich chords - well played and most enjoyable. I’d have loved it to continue.

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4 Oh, Gandalf, I’m so glad you ‘violated your principles’ to choose this one, to give us seven minutes of pure delight. Thank you!

30. h8dk97 - Invention# 4 Those Bach inventions look like an eye-watering challenge to me - impressive playing, particularly for just 2 years. Well done.

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - STILL my idea of happiness.
#2690926 - 11/20/17 09:41 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Florida
Moo, very well done. You play this with a song-like quality, which is very appropriate. Very musical, very lyrical. Good Job.

39. lvojnovic - Prelude 1913
lvojnovic, very interesting. It draws me in but always leaves something unresolved, keeping me in suspense. You play with real sensitivity and a light touch. Well done.

Peter it seems like a challenging piece to perform, lots of notes, all over the place! Once again, you made real music out of it. Very listenable

Shin L. Yes, if there's one thing that will bring a person back to the piano, it is Chopin! After a 15-year hiatus, you are back in the groove! I too love this piece, and I enjoyed your performance greatly.

Richard, wow that was exciting! It seems like a natural piece for guitar, but also sounds great on the piano. It does remind me a lot of Recuerdos de la Alhambra. Great playing.

#2690971 - 11/21/17 06:43 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
31. AZ_Astro - Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite I really enjoyed the way you played that piece. (I also had fun watching the video and reading the score along with you.) Nice work!

32. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC Wow, Sam - what an achievement - that is one fabulous instrument. It must be giving you incredible satisfaction. The performance was pretty fabulous too - smile Bravo!

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24 That was beautiful - a rather haunting piece, very sensitively played.

34. JoBert - Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1) An absolute delight - enchanting. Thank you!

#2690973 - 11/21/17 06:47 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pittsburgh,PA
Thanks for the feedback on my submission ,
To answer a few or more questions in the feedback comments :

Monica K. Ralph L., Lotus in Blue, SMA55, SwissMS, cmb13, peterws …thank you very much for your kind comments, they are motivating and I use these like comments when I am discouraged.

Monica K. “… Yes, I made the stand myself, it needs reinforced after a couple years …

Ralph L. new laptop of about 6 mos and I’m not used to the sound setup or sound card yet .

SMA55 8 seconds… Months or years ? you mean people play that long?…!!!! cool smile

But for those who feel maybe discouraged, trying a difficult piece may be helpful to a point where you can move back to your level with the knowledge that you achieved harder pieces though presently, it’s not consistent ,but could be one day. Or, be comfortable at your skill level, no matter.

Last section

26. Newbert - All The Way Enjoyable Pice that was soothing and well played, .Coulda been a soundtrack .. for Spiderman! 4 

27. pines9876 - Snowy Sky never heard this well played , and Excellent palying even more so for 10 months. Great self scoring of the piece though I never heard the original.

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer I love this song, and so very well played . Great acoustic authentic piano sound

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4 a delicate, acrobatic piece and very well played. The dynamics are steady and even…. but played out well.

30. h8dk97 - Invention# 4 very well played. Enjoyed the listen

31. AZ_Astro - Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite what a charming piece, and well played.

32. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC I must of lived near harpsichords in a past life…. I liked this a-lot. Though, somewhat a redundant motif to the extreme…it was the instrument that made this …, well played .

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24 Quite somber and well played .

34. JoBert - Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1) beautiful dynamics and playing enjoyable listen. Do a “big” bagatelle next time 

35. mel_lem/Melanie - Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779 This really a well played piece and a very good choice , I like it a lot. Well done TY.

36. Moo smile - Songs without words op 30 no 1 Nice and steadily played. Enjoyed it …

37. SandTiger - Avenue D Charming and well done .

38. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major Nice hint of sadness to this , well played and enjoyable listen .

39. lvojnovic - Prelude 1913 I haven’t heard the original ,but if this was a painting it’d be maybe new age abstract. Cool piece and different TY

40. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265 see what can be done with the simplest of tunes , even nursery rhymes! Ahh, just call it MO’s Art.
Cool, and well played.

41. peterws - Novelette 1 in C quite a sophisticated piece and well played enjoyed the listen . Moving…

42. Schin L - Nocturne op.9 no.2 nice and steady, beautifully played . Maybe- a little lighter on the pedal .

43. joangolfing - March BVW Anhang 122 well done within the criteria you mentioned of not looking at the keys –(why?). steady and smooth.

44. Richard (zrtf90) - Asturias (Leyenda) WOW !!!, impressive playing and moving piece. Great recording and piano sound. BTW what is your established practice routine,?- in the recital “excerpt” you mentioned.
Anyway cool piece.

45. Kalos Piano - The Clear Stream Gee, impressive well played difficult , tempo to maintain , but very well executed.

46. Fouyaut - Fugue op. 35 no.2 Well played ,asteady and nice even dynamics . TY

47. Ralphiano (Ralph) - La Poupee (The Doll) very well played and the purpose you stated in the excerpt even better, I do think playing difficult passages enhances learning the difficult pieces you may want to play in the future. Well done enjoyed this quick piece TY

48. Piano_Primo - Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 in B flat minor.Shortened Version, 2. Bach Choral BWV 514 ME_ well beyond my or most self taught pianists but …ok….. Need to work on sight reading and get back to basics ….

49. UnderConstruction - Debussy - Arabesque 1 Oh WOW beautifully played a, dynamics steady and enjoyable professional sounding as far as recording. TY

Great Recital , I appreciate being able to listen and also take part in.....so, until next Feb ....

Cheers!!!

#2691004 - 11/21/17 10:04 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: UnderConstruction]  
Moo :) Offline
Moo :)  Offline

Originally Posted by UnderConstruction
Beautiful! Your instrument has a very special character to it, and it works well with this piece. Whats the piano you are playing on?

I dont know what piano it is. The piano is made by samick and it was bought 25 years ago. Not an expensive brand but I'm glad you like it. I dont own my own piano, I play on an electric piano made by roland.

#2691095 - 11/21/17 05:51 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
14. Riddler- I mean this as a total complement...You sound like a pro. Seriously. Just so smooth and easy. What a great listen.

21. Keselo- Very nicely played (and felt). Well done. I enjoyed listening and watching too.

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

#2691138 - 11/21/17 10:56 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Florida

PikaPianist, what a beautiful, melodic piece. It certainly put you through some paces, with rapid runs, two handed arpeggios, left-handed melody, etc. In the end it all came at very musical and enjoyable. Well done.

Indeed, that piece has the feel of running water, thanks in part to the fact that you are able to keep up the pace. Very musical playing. Well done.

UnderConstruction, if there were ghost notes, my ear filled them in; and if there were hesitations, I took them as interpretations. It all sounded wonderful to me. A fabulous accomplishment of a difficult piece. Well done.

#2691178 - 11/22/17 05:55 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

Italy
I had the pleasure of sitting down for a second round this morning!

16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change What a great piece of music! I watched your video and the movement around the keyboard is really dramatic! I enjoyed listening (and watching) tremendously. I felt my stress melting away as I listened. That was a fabulous performance - thank you so much for sharing it!

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30 Another new-to-me piece. I have heard a lot of Haydn but not this one- and I think it is absolutely lovely. You played it beautifully. Very tranquil, soothing, and as you said - meditative. Charming performance!

18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato This is a really sweet piece, and you really did it justice. If you loved learning the first movement you'll be enchanted with the Rondo! I can't wait to hear you play it!

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I) Ah, well done Dan! I know exactly the kind of work you have to put in to pull this off so smoothly. It was delightful to listen to you (and watch you) - I'd love to hear you play the other movements too! If you play this well at your exam you're home safe! Bravo!

20. briangmoore - Monday I agree with you that one of the wonderful things about these recitals is hearing "new to you" music, and hearing other adult beginners performing them. It's exciting, and inspirational. You've definitely been bitten by the Einaudi bug, and it is clear you're having a wonderful time with the music. You're playing faithfully to the style with lovely dynamics. Well done!

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2) I saw Morning Prayer and thought it was one I knew but then I realized it was Gurlitt - he really wrote some wonderful compositions. Your handling of this piece was faithful to the spirit of a morning prayer to the dawning of a new day - gentle, uplifting, pensive. Very soothing indeed. I enjoyed listening.

22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide Loved your rolling waves, just loved them! What a dreamy romantic piece! I would have loved to watch you playing this - I think it would be as mesmerizing as watching actual waves at the seashore. Greatly enjoyable performance - my compliments to you!

23. sinophilia - River City Blues This was great! You look so comfortable playing and so relaxed. You're really dealing well with the red dot jitters - it looks like you don't have any at all. I really liked this piece and the panache with which you played it! Complimenti davvero!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Chopin Waltz in Amin (post), Chopin Nocturne in Cmin (post), McDowell To a Wild Rose
#2691182 - 11/22/17 06:11 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]  
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
Thank you Cheryl, and all the others who kindly commented on my piece, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I think I was in a blessed state that Sunday because I got good recordings of two other pieces as well. It hasn't happened again so far laugh! I still have the jitters most of the time, but something is definitely changing.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia
[Linked Image]
#2691184 - 11/22/17 06:15 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: sinophilia]  
casinitaly Offline

casinitaly  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Thank you Cheryl, and all the others who kindly commented on my piece, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I think I was in a blessed state that Sunday because I got good recordings of two other pieces as well. It hasn't happened again so far laugh! I still have the jitters most of the time, but something is definitely changing.

Feeling that change taking place is so exciting! I'm very happy for you!

[Linked Image]

#2691187 - 11/22/17 06:52 AM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
35. mel_lem/Melanie - Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779 What can I say?! That was very, very, very good!

36. Moo smile - Songs without words op 30 no 1 A most enjoyable listen. I particularly liked the way you brought out the melody.

37. SandTiger - Avenue D I found your earlier rendition in the Index, to compare the two original compositions. The later version is richer, more polished - and nicely played. Congratulations!

38. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major You are right - this piece is a true gem. And your beautiful playing makes it really sparkle. Just wonderful.

#2691261 - 11/22/17 12:37 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline

I’ve especially enjoyed this recital! Thank you to everyone who participated in it, and of course to those individuals who selflessly gave of their time to organize it. Finally, thank you to everyone who listened to my own submission. Also there are a few more individuals who I haven’t yet thanked since my last thank you note, those who kindly offered words of encouragement or constructive criticism to me. They are: mel_lem, schinl, pianoduck, cmb13, Peyton, casinitaly, and khopin. Thank you all!

cmb13—Yes, Liszt’s Consolation No.3 does indeed sound like Chopin. Most people say it sounds like it’s in the style of Chopin’s Nocturnes, particularly the Nocturne in Db Major (Opus 27 No. 2). The similarity between the two works has been interpreted by many as Liszt paying homage to Chopin.

#2691277 - 11/22/17 01:47 PM Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Piano2138 Offline
Piano2138  Offline

Thank you for your feedback and kind comments! Thank you to the organizers!

40. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265
Excellent playing, graceful and very good energy level.

Beautiful playing, haunting sounds. Thank you for introducing me a new composer.

Welcome to the recital! Enjoyed your playing, well done.

43. joangolfing - March BVW Anhang 122
Seeing the level of pieces you already played on this forum, I am not sure where lays the difficulty - sight-reading and/or playing without looking at keys? Played with a steady rhythm and clarity of the voices.

I am impressed! After the excellent sound of the old musical box, a piece with a guitar like sound. I was surprised to find that the original piece is for piano and not for guitar. Wonderful playing!

Well done! Lively played, with confidence and smooth flowing.

46. Fouyaut - Fugue op. 35 no.2
Fascinating – Bach with a romantic flavor! Beautiful piece and enjoyable playing.

47. Ralphiano (Ralph) - La Poupee (The Doll)
Welcome back Ralphiano! Nice playing, fluent and with confidence.

48. Piano_Primo - Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 in B flat minor.Shortened Version, 2. Bach Choral BWV 514
Interesting renditions of two familiar pieces.

Beautiful playing! Enjoyed how you played such a demanding piece.

Slowly, Separately, Sections - Graham Fitch
My SoundCloud
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Protek MPL-1 Grease on Grand Knuckles
by David Boyce. 01/19/18 05:20 PM
Mendelssohn Songs without words op 19
by Beemer. 01/19/18 02:18 PM
So glad I bought this book in the 1970's
by RaggedKeyPresser. 01/19/18 12:52 PM
Middle keys don't play on Kawai CN43
by flyingiguana. 01/19/18 12:13 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,871
Posts2,688,690
Members89,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission