Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
51 registered members (Beemer, Bambers, Akash, barbaram, Automata, 16 invisible), 989 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SwissMS] #2690140
11/16/17 10:45 PM
11/16/17 10:45 PM
Australia
UnderConstruction Offline
UnderConstruction  Offline
Australia
Originally Posted by SwissMS

49. UnderConstruction - Debussy - Arabesque 1 I love this piece. It is my favorite Debussy. You have captured the ethereal nature of the piece very well. I like how your pace the piece, giving it a gentle, relaxing feel.

Thank you Doris. Really glad you liked the pace. To be completely honest, it was the fastest I could play at the time of submission without fumbling all over the place, so it was really a technical limitation dressed up as an interpretive choice! smile

Still deciding whether I am playing for fun or playing to improve... leaning towards fun :-)
2017 Feurich 218
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690142
11/16/17 10:53 PM
11/16/17 10:53 PM
Virginia
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Copper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Virginia
Nice recital - well done!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690144
11/16/17 11:04 PM
11/16/17 11:04 PM
Virginia
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Copper  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Virginia
Monica,

I just noticed that it appears that after 11 years Mike White has taken a break. I didn't see any comments I hope he is OK.

Congratulations, I see you are the survivor. I hope you have many more!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690152
11/17/17 01:34 AM
11/17/17 01:34 AM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida
10. SwissMS/Doris - Qing Ge (Love Song)
Doris, very pretty. To me it has a touch of sadness, longing. You played it beautifully and, I think, your rendition reflects the intended feeling.

11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World
Well done! I like the arrangement, especially the ending, which goes some places I was not expecting. Excellent performance.

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows
Peyton, that was beautifully done. Great scenery, too, though I must say the video makes my back hurt and my nose run, remembering a job I had some 60 years ago, collecting those doggone bales.

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690157
11/17/17 02:52 AM
11/17/17 02:52 AM
M
mel_lem Offline
mel_lem  Offline
M
18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato - Very beautifully played with lots of little details attended. Welcome back!

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I) - Nice control on dynamics and articulations. There is a slight unevenness when you are playing the ascending fast run on the right hand. Your legato on the left hand is a nice contrast to the staccato on the right hand, nice control there.

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2) - You played this well and with confidence. It has a nice tone and chords are played very cleanly. Good job!

23. sinophilia - River City Blues - A very relaxed, lazy Blues. The swing feel in the melody is very well played, mixing in some triplets, the whole piece really come together nicely. The quality of your recording is great! I couldn't get a single take without noises when I was trying to record it using my iPhone.

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer - This sounds so serene, pure and expressive. The chords are very clean, and you did an excellent job bringing out the melody at the top voice. I enjoyed your piece very much. Thank you.

30. h8dk97 - Invention# 4 - This is also one of my favorite inventions, beside No. 8. But I have yet to start learning this because of the trills, especially the long one on the left hand. The balance of the voices is excellent, and you did a good job playing the trills! Everything sounds so clean and clear. Very well played!

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24 - The chords are very clean. This piece is so moody, and serious. As opposed to Morning Prayer or Burgmuller's Ave Maria, which are similar block-chords compositions, they are sweet and hopeful. Op. 39 is in my to-learn list for 2018. Thank you for submitting this. I enjoyed your last submission of Morning Prayer too. smile

40. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265 - BRAVO! There are a lot of elements in these variations and you manage all of them well, though some fatigue can be heard from No. 10 onwards. The whole recording is 7 minutes long and you did it in 1 take (If I am right), that to me is a huge challenge stamina wise. I really enjoyed this. Thank you.

45. Kalos Piano - The Clear Stream - Good job bringing it up to tempo! I attempted to do so but it turned muddy quickly, so I know how difficult that can be. This sounds like a clear stream, with lots of strong current. It is very energetic.

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SwissMS] #2690159
11/17/17 03:00 AM
11/17/17 03:00 AM
M
mel_lem Offline
mel_lem  Offline
M
35. mel_lem/Melanie - Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779 Beautifully played! I love your balance of the voices. This is one of my favorite inventions as well. You play it at a snappy tempo with very good articulation.
Thank you, Doris. Sometimes I think I have put too much staccato into those detached 8th notes. I think it is quite hard to control especially when the piece is in a fast tempo.

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690169
11/17/17 04:29 AM
11/17/17 04:29 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pittsburgh,PA
2nd section:
07. earlofmar - Invention No 3 Never heard this but well played .

08. wouter79 - Album for the Young (after Schumann), "Italian song" Op. 39, No. 15 I idd think was a Schumann piece, sound similar to toy soldiers, nice articulation, maybe more staccato to this. Good listen. Well played.

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Etude Op. 45 No. 15, "Warrior's Song" Ahhh… drama.. Very Nicely played, impressive dynamics.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Qing Ge (Love Song) very well played , alludes to imagery of a Chinese pastoral setting . Relaxing.

11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World well done , haven’t heard this for a long time.. Enjoyed the piece and your playing,, Super piano by the way!

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows Impressive piano playing . The piece itself would go well as a soundtrack to a movie that expresses universal feeling akin to solitude, but not lost. Super footage from the drone and video choreography. Really well done.

13. Monica K. - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete nice played beautiful piece that inspires reflection abbot one’s feelings and past. Really this sounds as if it should have lyrics, sung by a 90’s soft rock group. Enjoyed the listen.

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody really iked this piece, sounds like the 40- 50’s piano lounge which I bet was a heck of a time to be able to experience, this captures it well .

15. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Danny Boy / Londonderry Air Very well recorded and played, very expressive.

16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change just very played and recorded, enjoyed the listening .

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30 Articulate playing and detail . Nice listening experience.

18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato Very well played and executed , very clean and crisp . Enjoyed the piano piece. Good work!

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I) Again nice clear playing , good recording and enjoyable listening experience.

20. briangmoore - Monday Wow impressive nice authentic piano sound. Haunting piece, Enjoyable listen .

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2) Hmm , contemplative , never heard this , thought it was by Tchaikovsky Enjoyed the listen

22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide Clearly a beautifully played piece and player. WOW! Enjoyed the piece. Thanks

23. sinophilia - River City Blues Nicely played, different, almost cabaret-ish. Enjoyed it well.

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor [obviously a beginner right?...hey don’t worry… you’ll get there!!!] smile
very expressive and delicate playing when needed with this challenging piece.. Good choice. Dynamics were superb , I can really FEEL the dynamics . … quite a piece to master. a reverie of feeling .

25. Piano2138 - Chorale Be Content BWV 512 nice steady hand when playing,, even and exact.. Well done !

Cheers!!!

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690185
11/17/17 07:33 AM
11/17/17 07:33 AM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S
13. Monica K. - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Nicely played, Monica! And your Mason & Hamlin sounds so good!

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody
I thoroughly enjoyed your performance, Ed! Those gorgeous jazz progressions just seem to flow so effortlessly from your fingertips. Really fine work.

15. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Danny Boy / Londonderry Air
Nice, simple little arrangement. I enjoyed it!

16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change
I enjoyed your performance. Despite the bold chordal arrangement, I thought the piece was emotional, and found my mind turning to sad thoughts while listening. I think you did a really good job with this. One technical note: I found the pedaling to be a little dirty at times. But I imagine it’s probably difficult to get really clean pedaling with the rapid chord changes in this piece. Well done!

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30
So expertly and delicately played! And what a wonderful performance and piece to wake up to this morning. Bravo!

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690189
11/17/17 07:52 AM
11/17/17 07:52 AM
The Netherlands
K
Keselo Online content

Keselo  Online Content

K
The Netherlands
I like the slow, reverent feeling that you give the piece. This is an excellent job for 10 months of playing!

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
When I saw the title, but not the composer I was expecting the Tchaikovsky morning prayer, which I recall well since I did it for the last recital, but never heard this one before, a very pretty piece indeed, very nice touches and very well expressed as a prayer. Great stuff.

Thank you very much! I do personally prefer Tchaikovsky’s compositions for children (adult beginners), but they’re a bit too hard for me still.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
I wasn’t familiar with either this composer or the piece, but it’s lovely. So soft and sad. These slow quiet pieces are actually a lot harder to play than they look, because the littlest hesitations or skipped notes etc. are immediately obvious. I didn’t hear any of those (or the wrong note you claim is in there, but I don’t believe you! ). You do a great job of playing this piece with emotion and effective dynamics.

Thank you very much, Monica! I must admit that using the pedal can mask some minor shortcomings, but I made sure not to rely too much on doing so.

Originally Posted by Ralph L.
Very relaxing piece!

That it is, thank you for listening.

Originally Posted by mel_lem
You played this well and with confidence. It has a nice tone and chords are played very cleanly. Good job!

Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by piano primo 1
Hmm , contemplative , never heard this , thought it was by Tchaikovsky Enjoyed the listen

Gurlitt has written a lot of material for beginners. I see him as an introduction to the works of the likes of Tchaikovsky and Schumann. Thank you for listening!

Tim

Started playing January 2017

Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690192
11/17/17 08:11 AM
11/17/17 08:11 AM
The Netherlands
K
Keselo Online content

Keselo  Online Content

K
The Netherlands

07. earlofmar - Invention No 3 You managed to bring out both voices very clearly, I think that’s very nicely done indeed. What peace of mind it must bring to be able to play Bach like this (after the countless hours of practice, of course!).

08. wouter79 - Album for the Young (after Schumann), "Italian song" Op. 39, No. 15 I can just about see a big Italian family sitting around a long table in their oversized garden, arms interlocked, singing this, while swaying from side to side. Very fun piece, and very well played.

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Etude Op. 45 No. 15, "Warrior's Song" What an amazing piece of music this is. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be ‘epic’. Truly something that’s suited for the warriors of the old days. Very well played!

10. SwissMS/Doris - Qing Ge (Love Song) That was just beautiful, I can’t find any other words for it. Wow.

11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World What a nice arrangement you’ve found. You brought out the singing voice very well here. I had to stop myself multiple times from singing along, very well played!

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows What can I say… Wow. Just wow. That was beautiful, both the music and the drone footage. Watching the field while hearing you play in the background simply enchanted me. Bravo.

Tim

Started playing January 2017

Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690209
11/17/17 10:18 AM
11/17/17 10:18 AM
Calgary, Canada
Ralph L. Offline
Ralph L.  Offline
Calgary, Canada
26. Newbert - All The Way I enjoyed your performance!

27. pines9876 - Snowy Sky nice debut welcome aboard.

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer nice. I think earlier this year another member also played this piece. Your performance made me re-confirm this should be on my to-learn list smile

31. AZ_Astro - Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite Thank you for introducing this beautiful piece. Short and sweet!

32. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC Great job rebuilding the harpsichord, it looks so pretty, and felt like the right instrument for this piece too!

34. JoBert - Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1) Loved it!

38. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major nice little gem!

40. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265 didn't know this piece could have so many variances. Nice!

42. Schin L - Nocturne op.9 no.2 love this piece!

44. Richard (zrtf90) - Asturias (Leyenda) here's the richard. You played very well, no wonder ppl mixed you up with Richard Clayerdeman in our last recital:)

45. Kalos Piano - The Clear Stream wish I could play this piece when I approach the 2 year mark.

48. Piano_Primo - Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 in B flat minor.Shortened Version, 2. Bach Choral BWV 514 quite nice performance, would be better without some recording distortion, volume too high?

Passed LCM keyboard grade 5; learning piano using Alfred method books;
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690214
11/17/17 10:25 AM
11/17/17 10:25 AM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber
07. earlofmar - Invention No 3 I'm always so happy to see Bach in these recitals, love so much. All of your hard work on this piece paid off, I am totally impressed with 5! inventions.

08. wouter79 - Album for the Young (after Schumann), "Italian song" Op. 39, No. 15 What a fun piece to listen to, it sounded like you enjoyed playing it also, really enjoyed.

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Etude Op. 45 No. 15, "Warrior's Song" This one'll wake a gal right up! Powerful chords, played with authority.

10. SwissMS/Doris - Qing Ge (Love Song) I agree with whoever said this had a hint of melancholy - but then that is so often the case with love. You played this beautifully.

11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World Loved this arrangement, your playing was expressive - you handled the dynamics perfectly so make this really sing.

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows I just love this composition, wonderful! It made me want to go out to my "favorite meadow" and float away on the beauty of it all.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690245
11/17/17 01:19 PM
11/17/17 01:19 PM
W
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my contribution! Sometimes I wonder if I'm making progress technically, but your comments cheer me up in that respect.

Originally Posted by Alexander Borro

if a little hot in the dynamics and attack of notes in the melody line at times lacking a bit of smoothness here and there

Yes, good that you point at it. I think it's because I practice with the lid closed and only open it for the recording. It's too loud to practice but it sounds better with the lid open. I did only a few recordings in one sitting, and I didn't notice the sharpness at that moment. The mp3 conversion seems to make this recording a litle harsher too.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690249
11/17/17 01:52 PM
11/17/17 01:52 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
Florida
Beautiful recital, as always. Unfortunately, I sat this one out. I had a few pieces in mind to play, but some have been presented several times, and others were just not quite ready. Additionally, I’ve been bogged down at work. So, I decided to sit this one out.

Thanks everyone for putting this together. Here are selected comments for my first round of listening. I sometimes burn out and give just a quick sentence. As always, my comments come from the perspective of a newbie to this endeavor, so please take them in context!

01. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Consolation No. 3
I really love this piece. I have to place it on my short list of pieces to aspire to. Beautifully played. It reminds me of the Chopin Preludes, which I guess were more or less in the same genre. Interestingly, after the YouTube video finished, it went to your version of Chopin’s Nocturne in Bb min. Thanks for sharing.

02. MeganR - Sonatina in C Major Op 36 No 1
Nicely played, Megan. I have nightmares of my former teacher having me play this piece for months, as he tried me to get it faster and faster, without looking at my hands; the jumps kept throwing me. I eventually got it but will never play it again . Btw love the website and photos! They are outstanding!

03. MarieJ - The Crane Dance
That was beautiful, MarieJ, I really liked it! I had not heard it before.

04. Ralph L. - Auld Lang Syne (piano+keyboard)
Nice song and effects, Ralph.

05. Whizbang (Chris) - Gladiolus Rag
Very entertaining, liked watching you play this. Lot of jumps, hands are all over, back and forth, on the keys. That’s gotta take some practice!

06. blackjack1777 - "Fur Elise" Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor (WoO 59, Bia 515)
I too learned this piece this year, and also had no interest in it prior to learning it. I agree, the more you get to know it, with the timing, and the second and third sections, the more you get to like this piece! Like you, I’m glad I took it on. Nice job.

07. earlofmar - Invention No 3
Nicely played Bach Invention. I haven’t yet taken these on; stuck with Prelude in Cmaj .

08. wouter79 - Album for the Young (after Schumann), "Italian song" Op. 39, No. 15
Nice job. Doesn’t seem like a piece that would follow a divorce though.

09. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Etude Op. 45 No. 15, "Warrior's Song"
Fun song, big chords as you mentioned, reminds me of the Chopin Prelude in C min that I played recently for the recital.

Beautifully played as always!

Nicely done. Reminds me of some Christmas movie I think…Or every Christmas movie maybe.

Whata nice composition, and what a beautifully done video! Great theme. America at it’s finest.

Finally back to Einaudi! Sounded nice, thanks for sharing.

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody
Very sweet song, thanks for sharing.

Very nice music. Thanks for sharing.

16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change
That was great! This song brings back some distant memory, or a sense of nostalgia. I had to look it up to remember when it was out. These musical ballads give me a higher respect for some of the hard rock bands. After listening, I noticed your video and watched it. It seems the timing btw sound and video is slightly off but it didn’t really detract at all. I love those VK arrangements; I might ask her for a few. I did email her once to ask about creating one for a song I love (Little Wing, SRV version), but she quoted 600 Euros, and I thought that was a little much.

Funny how you referred to the key of C maj as a difficult key, as when I first began, that was “home” and all the other keys were frightening. I guess you are referring to the jumps without black keys for stability.

Very well done, I really enjoyed listening and watching. Nice selection. From one rock fan to another :cheers:

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30
Very nice, melodic piece.

18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato
Very nice, Laura, well done.

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I)
Well done, good job on the Sonatina.

20. briangmoore - Monday
Another Einaudi piece, beautiful, haunting. I also only discovered Einaudi here on the forum but haven’t attempted any as of yet.

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2)
Very nice, slow, somewhat sad character. I liked it. Thanks for sharing.

22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide
Wow!

Need I say more?

That was awesome, loved the waves effect. The whole thing really. I can’t wait until I can play like this – I figure, I’ll have 65 years experience by the time I hit 109. Looking forward to it!

23. sinophilia - River City Blues
I like this tune, old time jazz. Well done.

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor
Wow! What a performance! And what an ending! I’m not sure I have the stamina to play such a piece, let alone the skill. Beautifully done.

25. Piano2138 - Chorale Be Content BWV 512
Very nicely played. I generally avoid Bach – I’m afraid of him wink.

26. Newbert - All The Way
Nice, I live the slow jazzy pieces. Was this a lead sheet?

27. pines9876 - Snowy Sky
That was nice to listen to and very well done. 10 months? Wow! I’m sure the educational value of scoring then learning the piece, with new chords, was worth it. I felt your phrasing was nice, and you brought out the melody with the right hand nicely considering big 7th chords in the left. Great job!

28. fishandchips - Morning Prayer
Another nice one year performance . Great job.

29. Ganddalf - Impromptu Op.90 no.4
Thank you for the introduction to Schubert. I hope to play like this when I have 50 years’ worth of experience……It’ll have to be in the Royal Conservatory of Heaven though .

30. h8dk97 - Invention# 4
Good job on a tough polyrhythm piece. I’m not mentally up for the challenge to learn these Bach pieces yet.

31. AZ_Astro - Pastorale from the Petit Trianon Suite (to do)

32. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue in c minor from book 1 of the WTC
What a treat Sam! That Harpsichord is beautiful. I totally love and respect a great diy project; this one sounds the ultimate diy project for a pianist. Nice playing. Very very cool!

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24
Very good. I love a nice somber, minor key piece (it is in a minor key, right?). I also have a Celviano, but haven’t played it much since I picked up a lightly preowned Boston upright. What a great and underrated instrument.

34. JoBert - Bagatelle (Opus 119, No. 1)
Thanks for the little Bagatelle!

35. mel_lem/Melanie - Invention No. 8 in F Major, BWV 779
Another invention! My head is spinning! They’re so confusing smile. Sounds good and the speed sounds fine also.

36. Moo smile - Songs without words op 30 no 1
I’m also working on some Songs Without Words pieces. Such nice melodies, the ones I’ve tried are perfect as they’re the right level; interesting and very musical without being outrageously hard.

37. SandTiger - Avenue D
Nice melody, enjoyed it. That was original? Great composition!

38. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major
Thanks for sharing this piece. I also like the French composers from the Romantic Era. Very good dynamics. Wow you have a lot of videos! I’m going to have play on your YouTube channel when I get some time.

39. lvojnovic - Prelude 1913
I love this little Ravel Prelude. I’ve toyed with it a few times but never really studied it to completion. It’s got some odd chords and changes. Beautifully played. I like the slow, melancholy pace. Great for two years in.

40. Michiyo-Fir (Jade) - 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265 (to do)

41. peterws - Novelette 1 in C
Cute story behind your take on this piece. I think it’s pretty good, but then what do I know? I’m glad you picked up the pace, though, because I have a bunch more to listen to lol.

42. Schin L - Nocturne op.9 no.2
Ah, among my favorites. I love those Chopin Nocturnes. I agree, the left hand could use a little softening, but then again who am I to say, I’m not there yet. Pretty good for three months in after a long 15 year break.

43. joangolfing - March BVW Anhang 122
Who are the Bach people everyone keeps playing? Joking of course, lot of Bach today. Good job here.

44. Richard (zrtf90) - Asturias (Leyenda)
Thank you as always for introducing us to something new. Sorry you had life events keep you away but glad you’re back. This piece is so advanced it’s basically above my comprehension level!

45. Kalos Piano - The Clear Stream
That was fun, and fast!

46. Fouyaut - Fugue op. 35 no.2
It does sound Bach-ish to me to. My friends wouldn’t have been fooled, though, they wouldn’t know Bach vs Mendelssohn vs Chopin vs. Ravel if they had the sheet music in front of them! Why in the world wouldn’t you teacher want to help you with a piece you like? Enjoy.

47. Ralphiano (Ralph) - La Poupee (The Doll)
Nice job on this, Ralph; hope the recovery continues.

48. Piano_Primo - Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1 in B flat minor. Shortened Version, 2. Bach Choral BWV 514
On the Nocturne, which I have not yet the skill to take on, the piece seemed accurate. I thought the touch could be a little softer, more delicate. The pace did not seem too slow to me, but I’d probably choose just a little less Rubato, especially in the beginning. As mentioned, however, I have not yet tackled this piece, but will be very happy and humbled when I can.

49. UnderConstruction - Debussy - Arabesque 1
Beautifully played, what a lovely piece. Great to slip in at the last minute.

Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Bach - Adagio 974
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690261
11/17/17 03:27 PM
11/17/17 03:27 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Germany
I have now listened to all submissions on my way to and from work. So, as I would do at a real life recital too, I'm now giving you all a big (virtual) round of applause. Wonderful! Well played, everyone!

thumb yippie wow

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690263
11/17/17 03:33 PM
11/17/17 03:33 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
39 lvojnovic Prelude 1913

very nicely plaued. Evoked with colour and nice contrast in tone. I like this piece a lot.

40 Michiyo-Fir (Jade) 12 Variations on Ah! Vous dirai-je Maman K.265

I can only imagine how difficult it must this is to get it all clean and keep the flow at this tempo. You did a great job !

41 Peterws Novelette 1 in C

Whatever you say about you own struggles in the notes I enjoy the musicality as always Peter in your stuff, the flow is there it was a joy to listen to, a really nice piece/song ... Oh ... we are not supposed to use that term anymore according the forum ? ( first world problems ) Okay, I'll call it a performance then laugh

42 Schin L

Welcome to the recitals. Very enjoyable listen and good stuff, but as you say, the pedal seems to be stuck a bit here, apart from that, great job on your return.

43 joangolfing March BVW Anhang 122

A very enjoyable listen. I am not familair with this one.

44 Richard (zrtf90) Asturias (Leyenda)

Welcome back, missed you in the last recital and hope all is well, a masterful display. smile

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690267
11/17/17 03:44 PM
11/17/17 03:44 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
11 Jersyk19

Nice arrangement and sound! These things take time to work out, and implement. And your progress has been excellent.

12 Peyton Higgison

Great ideas here; a modern feel and nicely atmospheric. What's not to like?

13 Monika K

You achieve a great sound on this lovely piece. One of Einaudi's that appeals to me rather more than most.

14 Riddler Ed

This is a good jazz piece, and worthy of your talents! It motors along in fine style, once it gets out of the speed limit zone. Great stuff, Ed!

15 CASINITALY

An old favourite which you can play in several different ways. The gentle lilt you give it is super.

16 ZlolpyW

A difficult sounding piece which hasn't been heard by me before. IT's powerful and gentle where called for; you make a great job of this. But it must be hard on the keys . . .

17 Sandalholme

This music is so easy on the ears, very tuneful, harmonic and your piano sounds so well on it with it's pure ringing sound. That's down to you. My Grotrian never sounds quite like that!

18 Lotus in Blue

Lovely steady work on this; it flows well, Laura. Perhaps you can give it a lift in places and lower it in others so that it kinda breathes a tad more?

19 Bsharp Cyclist Dan

Darn nice work for a couple o' years Dan. The fun is evident, and this speaks nicely. Great finish!

Well guys; I'm not too clever on detailed comments compared to so many of you, but I enjoyed what I heard. Wonderful stuff. Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: cmb13] #2690268
11/17/17 03:45 PM
11/17/17 03:45 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
UK
Originally Posted by cmb13

33. Alexander Borro - In Church Op. 39 No. 24
Very good. I love a nice somber, minor key piece (it is in a minor key, right?). I also have a Celviano, but haven’t played it much since I picked up a lightly preowned Boston upright. What a great and underrated instrument.

Thank you, you are correct, it is in E minor.

As for the Celviano, it get's the job done in as far as I can express myself I find it is not holding me back so far after about 3.5 years. It's a nice enough keyboard considering how cheap it is. Sure, I can feel the difference between that and a higher quality more expensive action where some things are easier to do, but some others things are harder, but basically, I am used to it. I can't blame my tools, any deficiencies are of my own making smile

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Casio AP450 & software.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690273
11/17/17 04:18 PM
11/17/17 04:18 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S
I used to play this piece, too, Laura. I enjoyed your performance of it. You played it very evenly and with a sure hand (or two, haha). Fine work.

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I)
I love Diabelli Sonatinas. And I think you played the first movement from this one very well. A couple of rough spots here and there in keeping up to tempo. But nothing a little more practice won’t fix. Good job!

20. briangmoore - Monday
Such dedication on your part, to practice piano instead of eating lunch. I’m impressed! As for Einaudi, I’m not such a huge fan. But your passion for his music is evident in your playing. Well done!

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2)
I think you are doing darned good for someone with only 10 months at the piano! Keep up the good work!

22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide
That was wonderful! The piece itself sounds so emotional and cinematic. I enjoyed it and your playing, Roger.

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690276
11/17/17 04:34 PM
11/17/17 04:34 PM
P
pianoduck Offline
pianoduck  Offline
P
13. Monica K. - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Very nice! You create a beautiful sound.

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody Lovely piece, you play very well in this style.

15. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Danny Boy / Londonderry Air A creative take on an old favourite. Good job.

16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change Haven't heard this before! Nicely played, well done.

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30 Lovely piece, your playing is very musical and expressive.

18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato I love this! Accurate playing, and a well thought out description. You are clearly a creative interpreter of music.

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I) I really liked this piece - I haven't heard it before! Definitely do this for your exam, sounds great.

20. briangmoore - Monday That's a Monday all right! Well done, good playing.

21. Keselo - Morning Prayer (Op. 101 No. 2) Sounds really nice! You certainly should be happy with it.
22. Roger Ransom - Ebb Tide You create a beautiful effect! Sounds very evocative.

23. sinophilia - River City Blues Sounds great! I love the feel of this piece.

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor A challenging work for sure, well done on studying this lovely piece. Tempo at the start was slightly too slow for me, but honestly that is just a personal preference and not a criticism. Good job!

25. Piano2138 - Chorale Be Content BWV 512 I love Bach! Well played!

26. Newbert - All The Way Lovely! I liked this!

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690280
11/17/17 04:59 PM
11/17/17 04:59 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Northern England.
20 BriangMoore

I think this music is made for old acoustics, they sound unique on them and contribute to the overall. well, you're a few years into it now so you'll be enjoying it that much more! Great job.

21 Keselo

There have been a few takes on this title, and all point in the same direction. Tranquility, peace, spirituality before the onset of the rat run that we call life.
So well handled; it does the intended job. Nice.

22 Roger Ransom

This sounds so well. Typifies a lot of similar music and seems to combine many songs into one. Starts off "Misty" . . goes into the BeeGees. . . .Very pleasant listen.

23 Sinophilia

I like this! Steady blues played well. There's plenty goin' on here and the atmosphere's all good. Piano sounds a treat!

24 Chopinoholic

Well, it sounds pretty good to me and there's plenty o' passion there where it counts. In the fight . . . .but the making up makes for a nice musical journey. As it does . . . wonderful!

25 Piano2138

Great progress. These pieces are super exercises, and indeed, much more than that. They evoke pictures of a bygone age; one our forebears inhabited with all it's joys and sorrows. Nice job.

26 Newbert

All the way . . . now, who sang that? Apart from Andy Williams . . . Nice arrangement, nice clear sound. Great job.

27 Pines 9876

Good sound here, and this tinkles along well imo. A teacher will give you a more structured approach and would be of benefit if you can agree on the music . . .

28 Fishandchips

Now then. Let me say your piano sounds really wonderful. Is that Pianoteq, or the native sound? A most pleasant listen and very well executed! You'll be really enjoying the journey now. Your music is so very sound. I'm listening to the Bach 48 no1 I think. (ave maria without the words)

29 Ganddalf

A complex piece which is quite emotional with a lovely bass melody. Dunno how you play these long pieces! You do change as you get older; you (I) lose patience and don't remember stuff quite as well. Some music is reflective and well worth the listen. This is one of them but it sounds so bloody hard!

30 H8DK97

Always up for a bit o' Bach. The foundation stone of so much of our modern music it can be hard work, but well worth it. Super job here. I've never felt confident playing Bach.

Cheers guys. Time for one . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 11/17/17 05:43 PM. Reason: change

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690337
11/17/17 10:38 PM
11/17/17 10:38 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida
Doris, very pretty. To me it has a touch of sadness, longing. You played it beautifully and, I think, your rendition reflects the intended feeling

Well done! I like the arrangement, especially the ending, which goes some places I was not expecting. Excellent performance.

Peyton, that was beautifully done. Great scenery, too, though I must say the video makes my back hurt and my nose run, remembering a job I had some 60 years ago, collecting those doggone bales.

Beautifully played, Monica, as usual. To me, this piece has a calm feeling, but still manages to suggest that something is happening, or about to happen. Excellent performance!

Cheryl, ah yes, it brings back memories from the - can you believe it? - 1940s, of my uncle the Irish Tenor, singing this song as my aunt banged away at the out of tune piano, and it moved us all. Some songs are eternal. Good choice, and fine playing, especially considering you did it in one take!

Laura, welcome to the recitals. Well done. Played very much in the spirit of the formal dance, and executed flawlessly

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Pianist685] #2690340
11/17/17 10:53 PM
11/17/17 10:53 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R
Florida

Originally Posted by Pianist685
14. Riddler/Ed – I hear a rhapsody Ed, this was really surprising to me: we seem to like essentially the same songs for I have recorded this one as well. ...Mind if I post my recording in the December Piano Bar....

Oh, yes, please do.One of the most stimulating things about these recitals and piano bars is that we get to listen to each other's interpretations of the same piece of music. We learn from each other, always!

Ed

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690353
11/17/17 11:46 PM
11/17/17 11:46 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
11. Jerzyk19 - What A Wonderful World I enjoyed that very much - and I’m impressed that you handled such a lovely arrangement so well after just 14 months.

12. Peyton Higgison - Music For Meadows That was just delightful - a real treat! Thank you SO much.

13. Monica K. - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete Fabulous, Monica, as always. I started tinkering with this quite early on, and thought I was close to submitting it one day … your performance has made me realise that I still have a long way to go!

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody A piano bar rendition ‘par excellence’, Ed - I loved it!

15. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Danny Boy / Londonderry Air A long time favourite for me, too, and I could hear how much you were enjoying playing it - it showed. Very nice!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-L

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - STILL my idea of happiness.
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690354
11/18/17 12:15 AM
11/18/17 12:15 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change One of the marvellous things about the ABF Recitals is the amazing range of new music it introduces us to. I’d never heard of the Scorpions (I know - where have I been), so this piece was totally unfamiliar. Now I find out that ‘Wind of Change’ is one of the best-selling singles in the world. I thoroughly enjoyed your rendition.

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30 Gentle, contemplative, beautifully played. Pure magic.

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - STILL my idea of happiness.
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690382
11/18/17 06:36 AM
11/18/17 06:36 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline
Germany
18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - 1st Movement Sonatina in G (Beethoven) This is really, really, really good. I like your precise playing. You have posted a perfect rendition, worthy of a professional pianist (only one very, very, very minor thing could be improved but it is not worth mentioning as long as you are not planning to reach a professional level - besides, I have not reached that level either). With such talent you do not need a piano teacher, indeed.

03. MarieJ - The crane dance You might know that I told in another thread that I do not like Einaudi because I find his pieces too long with regard to the musical ideas and content and, thus, boring. But the crane dance that does not suffer from this, and you have made me like an Einaudi piece! Congratulations. This piece does evoke a mysterious atmosphere, indeed, and has just the right length.

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F major (Diabelli) Fine, nice classical piece of music, very enjoyable. I like the runs you are playing. Your playing is so secure that you are never attempting to hide any difficulties with the pedal which you are not using for good reasons. A very good performance after just 2 years of piano lessons.

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690474
11/18/17 03:11 PM
11/18/17 03:11 PM
S
SMA55 Offline
SMA55  Offline
S
23. sinophilia - River City Blues
Leisurely and confidently played. I liked it. Really good job!

24. chopinoholic (Paul de Koning) - ballade no.1 opus 23 g minor
Wow! What a technically demanding piece! And you’ve successfully met the challenges involved. You should be very proud of yourself. Bravo! Regarding the video, I think you did a great job of syncing the video and audio. I myself didn’t see them ever getting significantly out of sync, even toward the end. What video editing software did you use?

25. Piano2138 - Chorale Be Content BWV 512
Really good job! Especially considering that you’ve only been playing 19 months.

26. Newbert - All The Way
Ah, so very nice! I very much enjoyed the warm expression in your playing. Well done.

27. pines9876 - Snowy Sky
Pretty good, especially considering the short amount of time you’ve been playing as an adult. Only criticism: I didn’t find the ending very convincing. It lacked neither a sense of finality nor an effective cliff hanger effect (not sure which, if either, you were going for). Well done overall!

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690546
11/18/17 11:12 PM
11/18/17 11:12 PM
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber
13. Monica K. - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete A lovely piece, really enjoyed listening, you play beautifully.

14. Riddler (Ed) - I Hear a Rhapsody This is great, and it totally took me down a rabbit hole because I just "had" to listen to the other versions also.

15. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Danny Boy / Londonderry Air A classic song and I really liked your arrangement. I am super impressed with just one take also!

16. zsolpyW - WInd of Change I love this song! You did a great job handling all those big dramatic chords.

17. Sandalholme - Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30 This piece has a tender sweetness, and your trills are just wonderful.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690553
11/19/17 12:31 AM
11/19/17 12:31 AM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Queensland Australia
18. Lotus in Blue (Laura) - Sonatina in G: I. Moderato You really nailed that piece, Laura - well done! (I hope you plan to submit the next movement in a forthcoming Recital.)

19. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I) I love it when someone says that a piece was fun to learn - why struggle with the piano otherwise? That was bright, confident - and fun to listen to. Thank you!

20. briangmoore - Monday Einaudi - what can I say! I love this one and I’ve spent many hours tinkering with it (with limited success so far). I can vouch for its level of difficulty: timing, phrasing, pace, the ringing treble, the triplets - all challenges for me. You didn’t seem to have the same problems! Thanks for your sensitive performance of one of my favourite pieces.

Re: Recital 48 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2690575
11/19/17 05:44 AM
11/19/17 05:44 AM
Dorset, UK
S
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member
sandalholme  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Dorset, UK
Firstly, apologies for the typo: the Haydn movement is in fact from his C minor sonata, No33 in The Wien Urtext edition, No20 in Hoboken's catalogue. Apparently the first time Haydn used the term 'sonata' instead of divertimento and possibly his first or early foray into the 'Sturm und Drang' style. (not in that movement, but certainly in the first) Composed abut 1771. I'm still working on the finale, which is more than a little tricky.

Many thanks for all your comments, which are much appreciated.

SwissMS, MeganR and MonicaK: trills and dynamic range. Any skill I have with trills stems from playing the harpsichord and I remember hearing the late Christopher Hogwood practising just before a concert, (I was turnnig for him): all he did was warm his fingers with the ornamentation. Re dynamic range, this movement has no dynamic markings at all, but I'm glad you liked the limited range. I couldn't resist the single cresc followed by the sudden p - forerunner of Beethoven? - but not sure how authentic it is.

piano primo 1 and cmb13: glad you enjoyed it! Thank you.

SMA55: very happy to have made your start to the day more enjoyable. Thank you.

peterws: thank you for the compliment on the sound. I'm sure it's more down to Pianoteq. PM me if you would like the fxp. I fiddled a lot with a third mic etc and all sorts of little tweaks having upgraded to Pro for version 6.

pianoduck: thank you. "Musical" is all I ever hope to be.

MarieJ: I shall treasure your 'pure magic' words for ever. Many thanks.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
2012 Rx7 usd18k, a good price?
by tirta. 06/18/18 04:04 AM
Dragon Boat Day
by PhilipInChina. 06/18/18 12:46 AM
HOW DO ACCIDENTALS APPLY
by MICHAEL122. 06/18/18 12:12 AM
Considerations for selling a digital piano
by rach3master. 06/17/18 09:44 PM
Longest Time You Ever Spent Learning a Piece?
by RmntcPianoLvr. 06/17/18 08:57 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,023
Posts2,725,555
Members90,403
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission