2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 48th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #48 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 48 Zip 1
Recital 48 Zip 2
Recital 48 Zip 3
Recital 48 Zip 4
Recital 48 Zip 5
Recital 48 Zip 6
Recital 48 Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and spearheading the Order of the Red Dot; CarlosCC for continuing to maintain the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams)
Experience:Self-taught as a child, but began taking lessons 3 1/2 years ago.
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/RtmlcNBJAUg
Title of piece:Consolation No. 3
Composer:Franz Liszt
Duration:04:15
Source of music:Played from memory, sheet music was original source
Instrument used:Steingraeber & Sohne D232
Recording method:Audio: Zoom H4N, Video Zoom Q8
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I recorded this in two takes, with this being the second. Are there mistakes in it? You bet! But I've learned from past experience that if I continue to attempt to record a piece without errors, my sanitizing of the errors results in a very carefully but sterilely performed piece. Needless to sayI never like the result. So I've learned to settle for my mistakes. That being said, despite the flubs, I'm mostly happy with this performance/recording. Thanks for listening. Oh, and lunch? A Korean spicy pork burrito--yum!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MeganR
Experience:2.5 years
Home page link:http://www.prayinghorse.com
Title of piece:Sonatina in C Major Op 36 No 1
Composer:Muzio Clementi
Duration:05:20
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:1950s-era Everett spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4N
Additional info:The first movement I ended up playing a little slower than I would have preferred, but that's what I needed to do to get it to some semblance of order while under the influence of the red dot. I quite enjoyed working on the second and third movements of this piece. The third I find especially happy-fying.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, then self taught since discovering Einaudi in December 2011
Title of piece:The Crane Dance
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:02:57
Source of music:'Nightbook' sheet music album
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:'The Crane Dance' is a relatively short Einaudi composition which hasn't previously been submitted to a Recital. It is another atmospheric piece from his 'Nightbook' album.

According to Einaudi's Facebook page, the project grew out of the ideas and musical sketches that he jotted down in a notebook whilst on tour around the world. Einaudi describes the project as 'a night-time landscape. A garden faintly visible under the dull glow of the night sky. A few stars dotting the darkness above, shadows of the trees all around. Light shining from a window behind me. What I can see is familiar, but it seems alien at the same time. It's like a dream - anything may happen.' In this ethereal setting, the cranes appear and begin to dance.

On the other side of the world, many years ago, I was fortunate enough to witness a group of our Australian cranes (Brolgas) engage in their graceful and spectacular courtship rituals. 'The Crane Dance' is evocative of those images.

Once again, the score LOOKS easy enough, but ... when will I ever learn?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ralph L.
Experience:11 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/GvSAef_YvsY
Title of piece:Auld Lang Syne (piano+keyboard)
Composer:Alfred
Duration:02:43
Instrument used:Roland FP30 digital piano + Yamaha psr e353 keyboard for backing track
Recording method:Recorded piano first then recorded keyboard, then used software to put two tracks and video together.
Additional info:Original piano music sheet is from Alfred book 1, the whole arrangement was my idea for experiment.
1st part piano (piano sound)+keyboard (string+drum);
2rd part piano (chorus sound)+keyboard (string+drum).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Whizbang (Chris)
Experience:35+
Video link:https://youtu.be/Pbn_kWlTEEc
Home page link:https://youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Title of piece:Gladiolus Rag
Composer:Scott Joplin
Duration:04:45
Source of music:Scott Joplin: Complete Piano Rags
Instrument used:Fandrich U-122
Recording method:Zoom R24
Additional info:Gladiolus Rag is a 1907 composition by Scott Joplin.

Joplin's most popular composition, Maple Leaf Rag, was also among his first pieces published and in some subsequent pieces ("Sugar Cane Rag", "Leola") it seems he revisited the formula, possibly in an attempt to recreate the success of Maple Leaf.

Gladiolus Rag is listed among these. It dates from the latter half of Joplin's composing career, among the first rags published when he moved to New York. Gladiolus Rag seems to my ear to be far more refined in nature than its more famous sibling.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:blackjack1777
Experience:Exactly 3 years at the time of this recording with approximately 1-2 Hours per day of practice time on average. (Using Alfred's All in One with a Piano Teacher weekly and outside repertoire for exams)
Title of piece:"Fur Elise" Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor (WoO 59, Bia 515)
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:03:11
Source of music:Memorized from Alfred's Adult All in One Course - Level 3
Instrument used:2014 Wm. Knabe & Co. 48" Academy Series Upright Acoustic Piano (Model WMV 121)
Recording method:Tascam DR-05 and Audacity Software
Additional info:For this recital I'm submitting one of my very favorite pieces "Fur Elise." I finished this back in early September after about 5 months are of very slowly working through it. When I first started working on this piece it was not necessarily a piece that I particularly liked. My mother plays it frequently and I think it is pretty but it didn't grab a hold of me until I started actually working on it for myself.

Normally after months of working on something I will get a little tired of the piece but Fur Elise was actually like a good relationship, it seemed to get better and more interesting over time and I came to love it by the time I had finished working on it. I now consider it one of my most favorite pieces and I'm happy I invested the time in learning it.

I will provide a little back ground on the piece, although it is well known by many people, Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor (WoO 59, Bia 515) for solo piano, commonly known as "Fur Elise" is one of Ludwig van Beethoven's most popular compositions. The score was not published until 1867, 40 years after the composer's death in 1827. The discoverer of the piece, Ludwig Nohl, affirmed that the original autographed manuscript, now lost, was dated April 27, 1810.

The piece is in A minor and is set in 3/8 time. It begins with an A minor theme marked Poco moto (little movement). Although it is called a Bagatelle it is in Rondo form and consists of three distinct sections which repeat in a format of A-B-A-C-A.

In my opinion it is overall a sad piece and it reminds me in many ways of struggles that we encounter in life when something tragic happens. The piece moves through periods of sadness, nostalgic happiness, brooding and anger, and eventually a resignation to acceptance in the end, also sad.

Many people speculate this piece was written about unrequited love of a woman named Elise, I don't know if that's true or not, but I do think that this piece definitely conveys a sense of loss, sadness, longing, and even anger. As I worked through it, a lot of emotion about my own father and his tragic and untimely death was brought back for me. I hope that the listeners in the forum will enjoy my version of this well known piece. I tried to make it my own but I do want to mention that I was inspired by a performance by Ivo Pogorelich which I found on YouTube. I also, took some tips from Josh Wright on his YouTube channel. Thank you all for listening and please enjoy.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:5 years
Title of piece:Invention No 3
Composer:Bach
Duration:01:32
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai K8
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:This is the fifth Invention I have learned, although this is the only one I have taken to performance level. I really enjoy learning Bach pieces, but he requires such hard work and persistence there were times when I thought I would never be able to play this. But stick with it I did because once commenced there was no turning back, as I had to present this piece as part of my recent AMEB grade 5 exam. Believe me, recording to the red dot was easy compared to the exam where I floundered with this piece. Which makes this recording probably as good as it gets, at least for now.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:7
Title of piece:Album for the Young (after Schumann), "Italian song" Op. 39, No. 15
Composer:Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:02
Source of music:sheet music, played mostly from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:Pyotr wrote this piece in 1878. The year before, he had just married and divorced Antonina Millukova, a former student of his. After their divorce, he started avoiding all contacts and went abroad. He wrote this piece during this period.
This album has relatively simple pieces, I'm working on these to improve my listening and polish my technique.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:Classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, playing without a teacher since
Title of piece:Etude Op. 45 No. 15, "Warrior's Song"
Composer:Stephen Heller
Duration:02:01
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with silent system
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI cable to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, recorded with Savihost plugin
Additional info:This is an etude for practising big chords, fun to play when you are angry (haha). It is the best-known of Stephen Heller's "25 Etudes melodiques", composed in 1844 as an introduction to his work "L'Art de phraser" ("Art of phrasing").

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:approx. 9 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDndc4lSiGQ
Title of piece:Qing Ge (Love Song)
Composer:Wanghau Chu
Duration:02:41
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Bosendorfer 214VC
Recording method:Zoom HD4 to Audacity
Additional info:Wanghau Chu is a Chinese composer who is best known for his successful amalgamation of Chinese and Western styles in his piano works. Love Song is based on a traditional folk melody from Kangdin in the Sichuan province of China. The piece is a fusion of Chinese tradition and western impressionism.

This piece was an alternate that I learned for the ABRSM grade 7 exam. One thing that I like about the exam material is the introduction to composers that I might never have discovered. This is the second Chinese piece that I have played, and I have really enjoyed them.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jerzyk19
Experience:14 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB1ocN5wp90
Title of piece:What A Wonderful World
Composer:Bob Thiele
Duration:02:39
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Roland LX17
Recording method:Audio file from digital piano
Additional info:I have found very interesting arrangement of this well known piece. Nice mood with not common jazzy chords. As I am still very beginner I hope that my performance bring out at list a little of it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton Higgison
Experience:many years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1f6inMHF_A&list=PL0WpUqPW18i-vY-SfhSybBxJohnHBPNUQ&index=1
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Music For Meadows
Composer:me
Duration:05:53
Instrument used:Young Chang grand
Recording method:metro
Additional info:There is this wonderful field near my home and every year it is hayed and left with big round bales. I've been doing this "Music for..." series and I thought it would be perfect for a "Music For Meadows". So I started writing something and waiting for the perfect day to film. I aquired a drone a while back and figured that would be the best way to film. One thing led to another and ... there you go. There are some parts I wish I done differently and , as always, made some mistakes but overall I like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:About 13.5 years, largely self-taught
Video link:https://youtu.be/16nT1RHYBv8
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:05:36
Source of music:"The Best Of" Einaudi sheet music collection
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded using Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity. YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:I'm not sure why I hadn't tackled this piece before... it's toward the end of the "Best of" sheet music collection, which is allegedly in order of difficulty, so maybe I was scared off. But this is actually one of Einaudi's easier pieces to play, and it's one of his most "song" like, in terms of a traditional verse/chorus structure and hummable catchy melody. The title translates as "The birth of secret things." Lunch was leftover tofu/bok choy stir fry.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; four years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:I Hear a Rhapsody
Composer:George Fragos, Jack Baker, and Dick Gasparre
Duration:03:10
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavier
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:I Hear a Rhapsody is a romantic popular song from the 1940s. It was eventually recorded by many of the jazz greats, including Bill Evans and John Coltrane, and has become a jazz standard. I am playing from a lead sheet.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:almost 8
Title of piece:Danny Boy / Londonderry Air
Composer:Anonymous
Duration:03:04
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N (Silent feature used)
Recording method:audacity to pc
Additional info:A long time favourite, I pulled this out recently to simply have fun with it. Then I decided to add the intro, which wasn't written in, and to do a repeat with a second ending of my own.
One take - and I had fun doing it.
Lunch was homemade chicken vegetable soup.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:zsolpyW
Experience:12 years as young
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6fEmgrl50
Title of piece:WInd of Change
Composer:Scorpions
Duration:05:28
Source of music:https://vkgoeswild.com/
Instrument used:KAWAI K48 upright piano
Recording method:Panasonic LX7, ZOOM H2n
Additional info:It's one of the Viktoriya Yermolyeva greatest arrangements.
It was very hard for me to play. Big chords - 3 and 4 keys in fast tempo. Additional problem is difficult C major key (almost no black keys). But anyway I've done my best.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sandalholme
Experience:Too many
Title of piece:Andante con moto from Piano Sonata No30
Composer:Haydn
Duration:06:45
Source of music:Wien Urtext edition
Instrument used:Kawai ES7, Pianoteq6, Grotrian Concert Royal
Recording method:Digital to pc
Additional info:Haydn wrote comparatively few lyrical slow movements for the piano. This is one which I love. Pure meditative music that could go on for ever.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Lotus in Blue (Laura)
Experience:Piano lessons for 3 years as a teen and young adult. Currently self-taught adult "re-beginner" now in my forties.
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/laura-whitaker-9
Title of piece:Sonatina in G: I. Moderato
Composer:Beethove (attrib.)
Duration:01:49
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music. ("Essential Piano Repertoire: Level 2" Edited by Keith Snell. Kjos Music Co.)
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP 535
Recording method:Digital Piano to USB
Additional info:I am a returning piano beginner. I worked on the first movement of this sonatina over a two week time period, practicing roughly 30 minutes a day. I really love this piece. I always imagine that it's about that early flutter of romantic attraction, the giddy dance of first romance. Should I confess my feelings or shouldn't I? Then the whirling exhilaration when you finally do -- before the next wave of panic sets in! smile I plan on learning the next movement so that I can complete the piece.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:Almost 2 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/JMGLgm1CjBg
Title of piece:Sonatina F Major (Op. 168, No. 1, I)
Composer:Diabelli
Duration:01:33
Source of music:RCM 2015 Level 4 Repertoire Book
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Recording method:Audio out from digital piano into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam. MP3 was then extracted from MP4 file using FFmpeg. See YouTube link for video. I got an attenuator cable this time to help reduce the sound level into the camcorder.
Additional info:I found this a be a challenging piece and fun to learn. It took awhile to play at a tempo near the RCM suggestion.

I'll either do this or the Clementi Sonatina in G Major for the RCM 4 Exam.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission