Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
73 registered members (brettr, baudelairepianist, Charles Cohen, AnnInMiami, apianostudent, 18 invisible), 1,310 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up #2689037
11/12/17 07:02 PM
11/12/17 07:02 PM
Southern New Jersey
H
Hank M Offline OP
Hank M  Offline OP
H

Southern New Jersey
What happens when musical prodigies grow up? Some of them fade out. In their late teens and twenties, they find that they can no longer rely on their youthfulness to stand out from the crowd of other gifted musicians.

But then there are those like British pianist Benjamin Grosvenor. Now age 25, he is widely recognized as one of the world’s leading pianists. His Philadelphia debut recital on Friday evening, November 10, showed why he is so highly regarded.

Although his pianistic gifts were recognized at an early age, Grosvenor never considered himself a prodigy. Interviewed at the ripe old age of 18, he said, "I wasn't one of those prodigies you read about who went to the piano and could just pick out tunes. My mother tried to start me when I was five, but I couldn't be bothered. I only began practising seriously when my friends at school started to play, and I thought, 'they're not going to get better than me!'"

And he is not the boastful type. In the same interview, Grosvenor had this to say, “I'm not that talented, musically. I obviously have some kind of gift for interpreting music, but really otherwise, I'm not that talented."

Well, allow me to differ. The evidence was on display at this recital, which featured the following program:

Bach: French Suite in G Major, BWV 816
Brahms/Dean: Four Pieces, Op. 119/Hommage à Brahms
Debussy: Prelude à l’après midi d’un faune [Arranged by Leonard Borwick]
Berg: Piano Sonata, Op. 1
Ravel: Gaspard de la nuit

The recital opened with a performance of Bach that was a model of clarity and exquisite phrasing. The energetic closing Gigue was a special delight.

In a bit of creative programming, Grosvenor interspersed the four pieces of Brahms Op. 119 with three recent works collectively entitled Hommage à Brahms by the Australian composer Brett Dean. Perhaps the first of the Dean pieces (Angels’ Wings) could be considered slightly Brahmsian in that it featured an expanded keyboard of deep bass notes with a treble melodic line. As for the other two pieces, I really didn’t hear the connection. Nevertheless, apart from an exceedingly meandering rendition of the first Brahms Intermezzo (the weakest of the set), Grosvenor delivered warmly expressive performances of the other two Intermezzi and the Rhapsody.

Debussy’s Prelude à l’après midi d’un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun) seems like an odd candidate for a piano transcription. The original is unique for its orchestral texture, so what’s the point of presenting it as a piano piece? Yet given the limitations of transcription, Grosvenor’s performance brought forth enough pianistic colors to make this enjoyable.

Alban Berg’s first published piece, a one-movement sonata, is written in a musical language that is largely atonal, but it has the feel of late Romanticism. Grosvenor’s performance reflected this, combining the anxiety of modernism with the passionate intensity of an earlier era.

Ravel’s Gaspard de la nuit is one of the most challenging works for pianists, and perhaps because of this, one of the most popular among those with the “chops” to perform it. It’s also popular with audience members, including this one, since it is nothing less than a musical masterpiece. There’s no doubt that Grosvenor has the chops, but it was clear from this electrifying performance that he had something more—the ability to convey the grotesque and mysterious atmosphere which Ravel conjured so convincingly.

The evening concluded with one delectable encore, a Moszkowski etude.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up [Re: Hank M] #2689045
11/12/17 08:11 PM
11/12/17 08:11 PM
canada
J
johnlewisgrant Offline
1000 Post Club Member
johnlewisgrant  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

canada
Originally Posted by Hank M
What happens when musical prodigies grow up? Some of them fade out. In their late teens and twenties, they find that they can no longer rely on their youthfulness to stand out from the crowd of other gifted musicians.

But then there are those like British pianist Benjamin Grosvenor. Now age 25, he is widely recognized as one of the world’s leading pianists. His Philadelphia debut recital on Friday evening, November 10, showed why he is so highly regarded.

Although his pianistic gifts were recognized at an early age, Grosvenor never considered himself a prodigy. Interviewed at the ripe old age of 18, he said, "I wasn't one of those prodigies you read about who went to the piano and could just pick out tunes. My mother tried to start me when I was five, but I couldn't be bothered. I only began practising seriously when my friends at school started to play, and I thought, 'they're not going to get better than me!'"

And he is not the boastful type. In the same interview, Grosvenor had this to say, “I'm not that talented, musically. I obviously have some kind of gift for interpreting music, but really otherwise, I'm not that talented."

Well, allow me to differ. The evidence was on display at this recital, which featured the following program:

Bach: French Suite in G Major, BWV 816
Brahms/Dean: Four Pieces, Op. 119/Hommage à Brahms
Debussy: Prelude à l’après midi d’un faune [Arranged by Leonard Borwick]
Berg: Piano Sonata, Op. 1
Ravel: Gaspard de la nuit

The recital opened with a performance of Bach that was a model of clarity and exquisite phrasing. The energetic closing Gigue was a special delight.

In a bit of creative programming, Grosvenor interspersed the four pieces of Brahms Op. 119 with three recent works collectively entitled Hommage à Brahms by the Australian composer Brett Dean. Perhaps the first of the Dean pieces (Angels’ Wings) could be considered slightly Brahmsian in that it featured an expanded keyboard of deep bass notes with a treble melodic line. As for the other two pieces, I really didn’t hear the connection. Nevertheless, apart from an exceedingly meandering rendition of the first Brahms Intermezzo (the weakest of the set), Grosvenor delivered warmly expressive performances of the other two Intermezzi and the Rhapsody.

Debussy’s Prelude à l’après midi d’un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun) seems like an odd candidate for a piano transcription. The original is unique for its orchestral texture, so what’s the point of presenting it as a piano piece? Yet given the limitations of transcription, Grosvenor’s performance brought forth enough pianistic colors to make this enjoyable.

Alban Berg’s first published piece, a one-movement sonata, is written in a musical language that is largely atonal, but it has the feel of late Romanticism. Grosvenor’s performance reflected this, combining the anxiety of modernism with the passionate intensity of an earlier era.

Ravel’s Gaspard de la nuit is one of the most challenging works for pianists, and perhaps because of this, one of the most popular among those with the “chops” to perform it. It’s also popular with audience members, including this one, since it is nothing less than a musical masterpiece. There’s no doubt that Grosvenor has the chops, but it was clear from this electrifying performance that he had something more—the ability to convey the grotesque and mysterious atmosphere which Ravel conjured so convincingly.

The evening concluded with one delectable encore, a Moszkowski etude.

I agree completely. He's a fantastic pianist. And, if memory serves, he started out on an electric keyboard!!!

Re: Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up [Re: Hank M] #2689052
11/12/17 09:11 PM
11/12/17 09:11 PM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

San Jose, CA
I had a transcription of L'apres-midi d'une faune in a Debussy collection.. it had an orange cover. That book was quite riddled with errors, but it also had a much more playable version of that piece which made quite an impression on me.

I remember the collection also had D'un cahier d'esquisses which deserves much more play.

Re: Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up [Re: Hank M] #2689054
11/12/17 09:38 PM
11/12/17 09:38 PM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
He will be in Atlanta next weekend with the same program - but I have other commitments...

Sam

Re: Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up [Re: jeffreyjones] #2689089
11/13/17 02:53 AM
11/13/17 02:53 AM
Ohio
M
MikeN Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MikeN  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Ohio
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I had a transcription of L'apres-midi d'une faune in a Debussy collection.. it had an orange cover. That book was quite riddled with errors, but it also had a much more playable version of that piece which made quite an impression on me.

I remember the collection also had D'un cahier d'esquisses which deserves much more play.

The composer's own version for 2 pianos seems quite effective based on what little of it I've glance at and what little I've heard of Argerich and Kovacevich with it.

Re: Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up [Re: Hank M] #2689215
11/13/17 03:53 PM
11/13/17 03:53 PM
Evansville, Indiana
JdhPiano924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JdhPiano924  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Evansville, Indiana
I have absolutely loved his recordings!

Re: Benjamin Grosvenor - the prodigy grown up [Re: Hank M] #2689260
11/13/17 06:29 PM
11/13/17 06:29 PM
K
kbrod1 Offline
kbrod1  Offline
K

I have a number of recordings of his and have been very impressed not only with his musicianship but of his tone as well. There’s a series on YouTube titled, “So you want to be a concert pianist”, which features him at a young age. Very enjoyable to watch. Recently I’ve discovered another great talent who is quite remarkable and heads above the typical prodigy. He’s only 15 but already has quite a number of concerto videos on YouTube. No matter how difficult there is a relaxed ease to his playing and musicianship way beyond his years. His name is Alexander Malofeev and he no doubt will be the next classical superstar.

Last edited by kbrod1; 11/14/17 02:08 AM.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to connect Ravenscroft to Kawai MP10
by brettr. 07/22/19 11:38 PM
Why doesn't Pianoteq6 sound good for me - help?
by scotiwis. 07/22/19 11:24 PM
New Hammers Dead or Alive Test Suggestions
by Chernobieff Piano. 07/22/19 10:54 PM
Portland piano store shopping ?
by Coda9. 07/22/19 08:58 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,131
Posts2,850,810
Members93,954
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission