2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
C
I don't believe anyone here will tell you that the LX17 has the best action in its class. You will need to look elsewhere for that, mainly at the hybrid pianos from Yamaha (Avant Grand N2 or N3) or Kawai (Novus). But is it really a fair comparison when those pianos cost nearly twice as much?

Now, do consider the LX17 if you are looking for an overall well-rounded digital piano:

- A very good action with escapement feature. If you're used to an acoustical grand, obviously the escapement won't be so noticeable but it's definitely there.
- Amazing sound system for its console size that produces great bass, treble and volume that really envelopes the player and the listeners in the room -- really close to a larger acoustical grand.
- Limitless polyphony - compare with 256 tones of polyphony even on more expensive pianos.
- Bluetooth technology with Midi in/out and music sheet turning - many DP's still don't offer this.
- A vast number of sound adjustments to customize to your liking
- attractive minimalist design, and many more smaller fun features
- No maintenance whatsoever compared to a hybrid or let alone an acoustical. Depending where in the world you live, this can become a decisive reason to go with a a high-performance DP like the LX17.

It's the sum of all these that make the LX17 a strong contender in the choice of best digital pianos if you are in the market for one.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
@Chris Pringle. The LX7 is almost half the price of the LX17, so if you are mainly on headphones or find the speakers adequate enough for your room, then it is an even better bargain. And you forgot to mention the 10 year warrantee, which was an issue with me bearing in mind the problems I and others had with a certain other manufacturer.

But having said that, I sure people will take issue with you over the sound being close to a larger acoustical grand, and the number of adjustable sounds design, etc.

In the end you have to find one that suits your style of playing and enables you to get the most out of your instrument - within your budget.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Totally different. The GranTouch pianos were the AvantGrand predecessor and the action is almost identical to the AG. The new 'GrandTouch' action in the Clavinova 675 and 685 is an entirely different thing.

That's confusing.

With regard to Yamaha, I haven't played the 685 yet, but I really, *really* disliked the 585. I've not spend a lot of time researching actions, with regards to pivots before I bought the LX-17. Somewhere (maybe in this thread even, can't remember) the 585 action was described as having a very high inertia, and then 'it just goes'. That's how I felt as well. The dynamics were very hard to control.

Last edited by Falsch; 11/11/17 07:41 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

But having said that, I sure people will take issue with you over the sound being close to a larger acoustical grand, and the number of adjustable sounds design, etc..

Don't know if the LX-17 will come close to a grand sitting in the same room. Never had a chance to test something like that. What I can say with confidence is that it comes close to a large upright, namely a Kawai K-6 which sat beside it in the store.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Falsch

Totally different. The GranTouch pianos were the AvantGrand predecessor and the action is almost identical to the AG. The new 'GrandTouch' action in the Clavinova 675 and 685 is an entirely different thing.

That's confusing.

What's confusing about it?

The GranTouch was a range of complete pianos from the 1990s. The GrandTouch is a DP action from 2017.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Ah, the action is called "GrandTouch", while the piano's were "GranTouch". I thought they were both called "GranTouch", and that Yamaha had used the GranTouch action in the Clavinova's. I don't know if the GranTouch action is an actual grand action, or a close implementation. I never played one of those piano's.

B
B
It's an actual grand action, same as the AGs that followed. Keys were a bit shorter though and no key buttons over the pivots.

And yes the naming of all this can get a bit silly but there's a limited number of ways you can stick words like grand, feel, touch, hammer etc together smile

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
As far as performance and overall build quality goes, there’s not much of a difference between the Grantouch and the AvantGrand in terms of action. Personally, I’d prefer a Grantouch DGT7 over an N3. The former uses a real baby grand cabinet, and would probably suit Pianoteq better because it uses a conventional stereo system. The N3’s multi-channel system is optimal for the outdated sample on board, but not for an incoming stereo signal.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Falsch

That's confusing.

What's confusing about it?

The GranTouch was a range of complete pianos from the 1990s. The GrandTouch is a DP action from 2017.

Well, I'm very confused indeed. GranTouch > GrandTouch looks like a mistake, or if not a mistake, a cunning piece of obscurantism.

What is confusing is whether these two 'different' trade marks are related. And if they are related, is it an ancestral relationship, a familial one or a kind of joint venture?

Bambers excuses Yamaha by conceding that:

there's a limited number of ways you can stick words like grand, feel, touch, hammer etc together

But is it beyond the wit of their marketing department to think of another three words out of the half billion or so available ones?

Authentic Action
Real Feel
Traditional Touch
Pivot Paradise
Harmony Heaven
I'm alright Jack
Arboreal Immersion

It's amazing how silly sounding names soon become second nature to say. And I'm sure others can do better if Yamaha need the help.

Last edited by toddy; 11/11/17 10:57 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ARBOREAL IMMERSION! Excellent! smile

While we're at it ... how about claiming that the keysticks are made from wood taken from sustainable-growth tree farms (even if they came from old-growth forests laid bare by over-harvesting)?

And what about everything these days being described as "inspired by X", where X is something or someone well-thought of ... when in fact X played no role in the product whatsoever.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
And what about everything these days being described as "inspired by X", where X is something or someone well-thought of ... when in fact X played no role in the product whatsoever.

It's just more hogwash. They talk about 'marketing genius' and it sometimes happens, but it's very rare. Mostly it's hackneyed, tired old ideas, churned out without a thought. And this one you mention, 'by' such and such, is just more of the same old barnyard manure. Trying to pretend an individual, or big name, came up with the idea when it's just more mass production.

There was a TV advert back in the 1970s which did almost completely the opposite: it was for a line of Fiat (Uno?) which was 100% built by a production line of robots. And the commercial wallowed in the fact of there not being a human being in sight - just waltzing machines (with a famous Italian tenor aria as soundtrack). Seems they'll sell any old crap and we will buy any old crap.....so long as it keeps moving, noone notices.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
I don't believe anyone here will tell you that the LX17 has the best action in its class. You will need to look elsewhere for that, mainly at the hybrid pianos from Yamaha (Avant Grand N2 or N3) or Kawai (Novus). But is it really a fair comparison when those pianos cost nearly twice as much?

I am comparing LX-17 to others in its price range such as Kawai CA-98 and Yamaha CLP-675/685 (and maybe N1 if one gets a good deal) - not to AvantGrand N2/N3 or Novus. They are comparable in price points. I think CA-98 and N1 have better actions - and LX-17 has better speaker/amps. The built-in Piano sounds are very different also (modelled vs. sampled etc.) I am sure there are several other differences as well - but these are the ones that matter the most to me personally.

Originally Posted by PianoVibe
Originally Posted by Osho
In Kawai and Roland's case, we are actually lucky to have this level of information.

This level of information = pivot lenght ? I don’t feel lucky to know about it, it’s not enough to me to make reasonable comparison between brands. Are there other information that I’m missing and that we are talking about here? Thanks

Not just the pivot length - but how the whole action is constructed, the 'model' of it so to speak. We don't always have this information (e.g. Yamaha CLP-685) and I find it useful.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by toddy
Well, I'm very confused indeed.

Are you really confused? Or are you 'confused' in order to illustrate your point? If you're telling me you are (or were) unclear about the difference between an ancient Yamaha hybrid piano and a brand new Clavinova key action I'd be rather surprised to be honest.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK - I do have an idea that the two actions are quite different but only because you told me so. When I first saw the name GrandTouch, of course I was wondering what its connection, if any, was with the same manufacturer's GranTouch from a previous high in the market piano.

It is extremely confusing, don't you think?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by toddy
OK - I do have an idea that the two actions are quite different but only because you told me so. When I first saw the name GrandTouch, of course I was wondering what its connection, if any, was with the same manufacturer's GranTouch from a previous high in the market piano.

It is extremely confusing, don't you think?

No. I think it could fairly be described as very very slightly confusing. For a moment or two until reasoning kicks in. The time lapse between the products; the different spelling of the term; the knowledge that the GranTouch piano had a real piano action in and was the predecessor to the AvantGrand and the absolute certainty that Yamaha would not equip a Clavinova with an action that would be the same as or extremely similar to the AG.

So, on the whole, not really confusing! Not to me anyway.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, I'm truly sorted out on the subject now. But, as you suggested, I was also making a point. And my point is this:

Why the blazes couldn't they have come up with a different, clearly distinct name for what is a clearly different system, rather than changing the name by one letter!? Then nobody - not even the slow witted - need have been confused.

Last edited by toddy; 11/11/17 05:19 PM.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Honestly...I think it's because nobody remembers the GranTouch (outside of niche forums like this one).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
At least they are spelling 'Grand' properly now. I suppose that's progress. Maybe in the name's next incarnation it might have a space between the two words, like this: Grand Touch

Then we'll have reached the promised land.

Last edited by toddy; 11/11/17 07:46 PM.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've added some hard numbers here that may help (or simply exacerbate) the discussion.

But honestly, assuming the PHA-50 is really 22cm, is there a huge difference between 22 and 24.1cm? Maybe. But while the "pivot length" is an easy one to quantify, there's so much more to the feel of a keyboard than solely pivot length, so I hope we can start exploring some of these.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Bring back Dewster! And get him to tally and track all the specs, including the keystick lengths and pivot lengths and hammer weights and everything else.

Ok, that seems far fetched. In which case we won't have much data.
And that brings us back to the traditional way of evaluating a piano: Try it for yourself!
Regardless of the numbers/measures, your likes and dislikes are what matter.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission