2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (Chernobieff Piano, carlspost, camperbc, dobro, cameronkkk, 36251, Almaviva, 5 invisible), 295 guests, and 341 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Choosing the best Digital Piano #2687714 11/06/17 11:43 PM
M
mcafarcchio Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey! I'm a young student that travels a lot so I can't really have an acoustic piano, thus I decided to go with a digital one.
The problem is I don't know much about those and my teacher (who's old and only knows about acoustic ones) doesn't as well.
I've been doing some researching in the price range I want and selected five pianos. I've read people saying good things about those, I just don't know which one to get.
Could you guys help me out?

Nord Stage 2
Roland Rd800
Yamaha YDP 163
Yamaha P115
Casio Px-860

I want the one that when you touch, it feels the most like an acoustic piano.
If you have any additional recommendations up to Nord Stage's price (the most expensive) I'd really appreciate.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687715 11/06/17 11:47 PM
S
Steve.L Offline
S
A year later, and I'm very happy with the action on the Casio PX-860. I remember comparing it to Yamaha and Roland at Sam Ash's and they all felt slightly different, but all pretty good. None felt like a real piano, tho, IMO.

Last edited by Steve.L; 11/06/17 11:48 PM.
Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687724 11/07/17 12:21 AM
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
I think that the Roland FP-90 has an action on par with the RD-800 (maybe better), and the newest Roland "SuperNatural modeled" sound generator. And the FP-90 has built-in speakers. I've test-played it, and liked it.

I think the RD-800 is out of production, replaced by the RD-2000.

So, unless you really need the "stage features" of the RD-800 (or RD-2000), I'd suggest looking at the FP-90. IMHO it's appreciably better than the last 3 DP's on your list.

If you want something similar, with a cabinet, the Roland HP603 is worth a look.

[I don't have a dog in this fight. My PX-350 has a less "piano-like" action than the Roland, and you didn't ask about "virtual pianos" running on PC's.]

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687741 11/07/17 01:28 AM
K
Kenny Cheng Offline
K
I own a Nord Stage 2 and I wouldn't consider it as a digital piano.

It's the combination of stage piano + Synthesizer + Organ.

The Nord Stage 2 has after touch so the feel of action / touch is quite different from standard digital piano.

Nord has Nord Piano and that's more suitable for your need if you do live gig a lot.

Personally, for the practice need. I wouldn't recommend Nord.

Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687790 11/07/17 08:51 AM
A
anotherscott Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by mcafarcchio

As mentioned, none will feel quite like an acoustic piano. What's closest? Hard to say. First, different acoustic pianos, themselves, feel different from each other, so you have a somewhat variable target. Second, one digital may feel more like a given acoustic in one respect but less in another.

For example, I tried a Kawai MP10 a while back which, on the whole, I would give relatively high marks for feeling like an acoustic piano, but it is closest to an acoustic with a heavy action. If you were comparing it to an acoustic with a lighter action, you might say it didn't feel much like it at all. Around the same time, I tried a Yamaha CP5... arguably less acoustic-piano-like (for example it uses a non-graded action, so low and high keys feel the same instead of low keys feeling heavier than high keys), but if you were used to an acoustic with a lighter feel, the CP5 would come closer overall than the MP10.

That said...

Nord Stage 2
Roland Rd800
Yamaha YDP 163
Yamaha P115
Casio Px-860

First, I noticed they're all "slab" style except the YDP-163. If you prefer the slab, you can get something similar to that model in a slab format in the Yamaha P-255 which I believe incorporates the same action and piano sound.

From Nord, I agree with the comment that the "Nord Piano" 2-88 feels a bit more like a piano than the Nord Stage 2-88. There's also a Nord Piano 3 which is supposed to be even better, though I haven't had a chance to try that one yet. Also, the Nord Stage 2 was replaced by the nearly identical Nord Stage 2EX which was then replaced by the slightly different Nord Stage 3.

Out of your list, the one that feels least authentic is probably the P115.

Although I haven't played one, from reports here, the Kawai MP11 should also be on your list. Also Yamaha CP4, which is generally considered to have a better action than any of the Yamahas mentioned above.

Casio gives you perhaps the best action for the money, but if money is not the limiting factor, I think other actions are better.

In current slab models, with a somewhat flexible budget, my inclination would be to audition the Kawai MP11, Nord Piano 3, Roland FP90, and Yamaha CP4. Also maybe the Korg Grandstage. Even though it uses Korg's RH3 action which is generally considered merely adequate, I have read where some people feel it seems to work really well on that particular model.

Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687792 11/07/17 09:05 AM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
I haven't seen the Kawai brand mentioned. It has a reputation for very excellent "touch".

I have the ES8 and would highly recommend it.

Here is an option ....

https://www.kraftmusic.com/kawai-es...=bing+shopping&utm_content=kaw-es8ch

Here is another option ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ES8BK?

Last edited by dmd; 11/07/17 09:09 AM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687793 11/07/17 09:13 AM
M
MuddyFox Offline
M

Got one as well and I really can't fault it so far... have the "furniture stand" for it, too.

Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: dmd] #2687852 11/07/17 03:31 PM
E
EVC2017 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dmd
I haven't seen the Kawai brand mentioned. It has a reputation for very excellent "touch".

This is a matter of opinion. IMO, not as good as hyped by fans of this forum (no disrrespect meant). I personally prefer Roland's PH50 that goes in FP90 that is at the same or slightly lower price range.

Sound is another matter, I like ES8's sounds (IMO a good selection of sounds - not many but very well thought of). The FP90 is modelled, some people hate (though I wonder if that would survive a blind test. I wish Roland sold it in Brazil.

Last edited by EVC2017; 11/07/17 05:05 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2687874 11/07/17 05:24 PM
Oskar Costa Offline
There is a newer version of the PX-860 called the PX-870, which has recently been released. It has improved piano sound, new sound projection system and some other new features. Check that out, it's a really great instrument for its price!

Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: mcafarcchio] #2688088 11/08/17 03:49 PM
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey! I'm a young student that travels a lot so I can't really have an acoustic piano, thus I decided to go with a digital one.
The problem is I don't know much about those and my teacher (who's old and only knows about acoustic ones) doesn't as well.
I've been doing some researching in the price range I want and selected five pianos. I've read people saying good things about those, I just don't know which one to get.
Could you guys help me out?

Nord Stage 2
Roland Rd800
Yamaha YDP 163
Yamaha P115
Casio Px-860

If you have any additional recommendations up to Nord Stage's price (the most expensive) I'd really appreciate.

The Nord, RD800 and PX860 are far more than just pianos. The RD800 & NP2 are really for band gigging where many sounds and functionality are utilised. Are you in a band or solo playing? If you are solo playing, the Roland FP-90 and Kawai ES8 have better actions for the price.

If you want a stage piano with action and bells/ whistles there is also the Kawai MP7 (new out, MP7SE with counter weights in the action). Also, weight can be problematic for gigging pianists. Therefore, consider the Yamaha CP4.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Choosing the best Digital Piano [Re: EVC2017] #2688091 11/08/17 03:54 PM
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by dmd

This is a matter of opinion. IMO, not as good as hyped by fans of this forum (no disrrespect meant). I personally prefer Roland's PH50 that goes in FP90 that is at the same or slightly lower price range.

Sound is another matter, I like ES8's sounds (IMO a good selection of sounds - not many but very well thought of). The FP90 is modelled, some people hate (though I wonder if that would survive a blind test. I wish Roland sold it in Brazil.

The PHA-50 action is very nice. I have read detailed posts showing why Kawai actions are superior; however, the weight and feel of the PHA-50 felt to me much closer in weight and feel to the Grand Feel 1 action than the PHAIV pro action . Also, Roland actions (since modelling) always feel great to play. For instance, I didn't enjoy much playing the RD700NX (PHAIII) but really enjoyed the same action on the modelled V-piano.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission