2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Given the limited information that we were given, I also think that the Roland FP-90 is probably the best solution based on the OP's requested criteria. of course if the kid could go to a local music store and test play the various recommendations others have made that would be best (and if the kid can't play he could perhaps go with someone who could (OP? their teacher? etc... -- worst case they could get the salesman to play some pieces for them to get a sense of how it sounds live and in context). But if that's not possible, I think the FP-90 is the most likely best compromise that meets what waw requested

It has Roland's best in class piano action which is very authentic feeling and which allows for very nuanced playing. While some don't like the modeled piano approach, others find it very authentic and wonderfully expressive to play. I doubt a 9 year old is going to be able to tell the difference between modeled and sampled piano sounds. Here just watching some youtube to hear it played in context would perhaps be very helpful.

It's very portable, but also has the option for a "furniture style" stand with 3 pedals (it can be detached from the stand) and if that's truly not wanted it also works with Rolands RPU-3 stand alone triple pedal unit.

It also has a lot of voices and features built in. All the usual ones, splitting/layering sounds, transposing, etc... It has a line in that you can use to feed sounds from a computer or mp3 player through the speakers to play along with and even has a microphone input with some vocal effects processing if the kid likes to sing as well as play. Of course the piano designer and 3 band EQ lets you fully adjust the tone/timbre of the different piano voices to suit your tastes and the style of music being played, and it can even be set to alternate historical piano tunings for playing period music.

Another bonus is that it features built in bluetooth and can interface with a lot of different ipad apps. Sheet music apps are particularly useful, but there are other apps that can provide instructional tools (like sightreadingfactory, apps that stream backing tracks wirelessly through the piano's speakers, etc...).

At $1800-ish the cost is well within the OP's budget. Even with the matching stand/triple pedal unit it's only $2140.

If it's well cared for, I think it would also have pretty high resale value should the kid/parents decide to discontinue piano lessons after a few months. So I would advise get the best you can afford. My vote would be for the Roland FP-90

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
B
B
If he's keen and likely to continue then kawai es8 or Roland fp90 would be my choice given the max price (which mp11 seems to be outside of, also it's stretching the definition of portable for many)

The altenative is the lower price bracket which contains the Roland fp30, kawai es110, Yamaha p115, Casio px360 etc. My preference would go to one of the first two mostly because of action and pivot length. My relatively diddy thumbs and long fingers mean I really dislike Yamaha's GHS action and the Casio's are similar in that bracket.

Also the sound is certainly, technically speaking (I.e. not considering subjective differences in tone etc), worse on the p115. It's still only around 30odd samples that are stretched over 3 key groups and it's pretty audible when playing scales. I think according to the sub $1k sticky thread that the Casio's in this price range also note stretch.

F
F
Some of the portable slabs are pretty heavy; will they be able to pack it into the car every week without throwing out their back? I'm lazy, so I'd get two of the cheaper ones and keep one in each house. It's also one less thing for the parents to potentially argue about. "You didn't bring the piano!" etc. I've seen divorced couples in action, so it's bound to happen, and the kid will be without a piano for a week or whatever.

Middle-aged curmudgeon, started learning on Nov. 3, 2016.

https://soundcloud.com/user-197203213
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Duke of Dunning
...this is a joint custody situation where the boy alternates his residence.

Get two cheaper pianos instead of one expensive unit. wink

Maybe even seriously.

Exactly how "bad" would a $1000 modern digital piano be for someone studying classical music in his second year? Something like a Roland FP30, RP102 or FP-140R? Yamaha Arius YDP-163? Kawai KDP90?

And exactly how much fun is hauling a digital piano (even a portable one) always with the kid? And how likely it is to damage during transport? Not necessarily likely, but a portable/stage piano in a flight case + stand + pedal(s) do take up space and need many hands to carry around.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by arc_turus
I would suggest the Casio PX-360 or PX-560 due to their action and price. The 560 would be a better option as it adds resonance to the acoustic piano sounds.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the PX360 had the same piano sound as the PX560, including the resonances. (As an aside, I suspect that the resonances are a subtle enough thing to be a non-issue to a 9 year old beginner; and if you're concerned enough to just feel it's worth it just in terms of getting the best piano sound in its price range, I think the comparable priced Kawai and Yamaha will probably beat the Casio on that front, resonance or not).

I fully agree that for a 9 year old the actual quality of the piano sound could be rather secondary...

Regarding the Casio: the PX-560 has the same 256 note polyphony sound engine of the PX-5S and has adjustable sympathetic and damper resonance. The 360 has a 128 note polyphony engine with very basic on/off damper resonance. Pianoman Chuck has a number of videos on the PX-560 since he used one for his gigs due to its action and low weight (12 Kg vs the 23 Kg of the Roland FP 90). And check this video that compares the sound of the acoustic pianos of the Casio PX-560, Kawai MP11 and Korg Kronos. If price and weight are factors I would say the 560 is difficult to beat. To get better action, sound and features you would need something like a FP90 or a Kawai MP that cost at least 50% more...

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
And check this video that compares the sound of the acoustic pianos of the Casio PX-560, Kawai MP11 and Korg Kronos. If price and weight are factors I would say the 560 is difficult to beat. To get better action, sound and features you would need something like a FP90 or a Kawai MP that cost at least 50% more...

Wow ...

I have to tell you.

After hearing this demonstration I would absolutely consider purchasing 2 Casio 560s so he could have 1 at each site.

Much simpler solution without sacrificing much in the way of quality.

This would be my choice ....

http://www.kraftmusic.com/casio-privia-pro-px-560-digital-piano-blue-complete-home-bundle.html

Last edited by dmd; 11/05/17 04:31 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

where the boy alternates his residence.

I think this rules out the Kawai MP11SE or MP11 IMO - too heavy to move on a regular basis.

I tend to agree with the comments that purchasing 2 identical pianos (each about ~$1000 or so range) might be a better solution in this case. This also opens up the 'furniture style' pianos - which look way nicer in a home setting. And, it simplifies life by not having to lug around a piano.

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 11/05/17 06:11 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you to all who have responded. Between your remarks and my own research, my knowledge base has increased significantly. Not that I’m ready to compete with Pianoman Chuck.

A couple of comments,

The boy has been taking lessons for about 1.5 years with a well regarded classical teacher. He has been using a basic 61 note keyboard which is inadequate. The teacher is strongly encouraging an upgrade and the parents concur.

As to the portability issue, this is a joint custody situation where the boy alternates his residence. Tough situation but both parents are cooperative when it comes to their son.

It’s time to pound the pavement a bit and check out some of these suggestions. I think I will have some fun myself. Being in Chicago, we have many options.

Right, I see.

This simplifies matters considerably. Here is an approach for you.
You outline 3 price ranges and test the top 3-5 pianos in each range.

I am going to rule out portable pianos with wooden stands for now as they take longer to disassemble, pack, and reassemble (portables will need external stand). As headphone practice is enough in the first instance I'm going to suggest he tries out only stage pianos.

Don't forget, many of these come with the option of a triple pedal!

Top price bracket:
1) Kawai MP7SE.
2) Yamaha CP4
3) Roland RD800.
4) Roland FP-90
5) Kawai ES8
6) Yamaha P255

Middle price bracket
1) Yamaha CP40
2) Roland RD300NX
3) Casio Privia PX-560

Low price bracket
1) Kawai ES110
2) Roland FP-30
3) Yamaha P115
4) Yamaha DGX660

What to do is: locate your local music stores within radius 15 miles. Ring them, find out which of these in the list they have in store to try out. Then go there and let him (9 yr old) try out each of those available. If it means two trips to separate stores, so be it.

I have a Kawai MP7 with a K&M table stand, a triple pedal and a stand bag and carry case for the board. The table stand takes 5 seconds to fold away and 30 seconds to put in the bag. The pedal and wires go in a ruck sack, and the board goes into the case. Quick, simple, not so expensive---more fun than the ES8, and I think lighter.

Another good shout is the CP4 from Yamaha. Exceptionally light, also reasonablly great action. The Roland RD800 is so fun, and prices are low. Action different than CP4 but on a par with it.

Both ES8 and FP-90 excellent but obviously the internal speakers are heavy. With headphones, a stage piano will do. Can buy small speakers. Piano man Chuck had some great speakers on a recent video: $300 or so.

Anyway, try or die: we've said enough to get you going!!!

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I would suggest the Casio PX-360 or PX-560 due to their action and price. The 560 would be a better option as it adds resonance to the acoustic piano sounds.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the PX360 had the same piano sound as the PX560, including the resonances.

Regarding the Casio: the PX-560 has the same 256 note polyphony sound engine of the PX-5S and has adjustable sympathetic and damper resonance. The 360 has a 128 note polyphony engine with very basic on/off damper resonance.

Where are you getting the information that the 360 has less resonance functionality than the 560? Both have string resonance and damper resonance, and I see no difference in how these are described in their manuals/specs.

(You're right about the 256 vs 128 polyphony, though that's pretty irrelevant in this situation.)

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Where are you getting the information that the 360 has less resonance functionality than the 560? Both have string resonance and damper resonance, and I see no difference in how these are described in their manuals/specs.
(You're right about the 256 vs 128 polyphony, though that's pretty irrelevant in this situation.)

I am not sure if the 360 and 560 share the same sound engine. The differences are not limited to the polyphony. The 560 enables editing filters, effects, equalization and the sounds. It also enables to create and edit new instruments as a combination of six different sounds. Acoustic piano effects such as "lid position" and "cabinet reflection" are also editable. None of these options is available on the 360. For example, on the 360 reverb can be selected from a list of fixed options but cannot be further configured. And resonance has 3 levels whereas on the 560 there are 16 separate levels for string and for damper resonance, besides all the other effects that can be configured as well. When it comes to the sound itself, the maximum level of resonance on the 360 produces less audible results than the middle setting on the 560. The damper resonance effects are also less noticeable. The 560 also has the option to add damper noise. Other audible difference is that the strings of the top two octaves or so on the 560 are not damped. If this effect is also present on the 360, then it is barely noticeable. At the end of the day, the resonance functionality may actually be the same on these two keyboards, but the level of configuration possible on the 560 can definitely make it sound quite different. BTW, I have a 560...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission