2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dean F Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is such a specific question, I apologise! But I need suggestions grin

Basically, I'm entering a competition soon in which I need to play something romantic, over 5 minutes and under 12. The rest of the programme is filled with Prokofiev and Scarlatti and Debussy, but I do need that one romantic piece. Now, my teacher thinks that I do BIG emotions really well, and my programme as it stands is a little cold. Not necessarily big music, but music that shoots you right in the heart - tragic, romantic, tender, the stuff that makes you feel like you're going to cry. So, that's what I'm looking for! Difficulty isn't a massive consideration - I've played big Chopin and currently studying Gaspard for my masters.

Suggestion what you have; little known is preferred but all suggestions are great, I may have missed something big, just as long as it's emotional.

A good example, for me, is the Rach 2 mvt 2 or the Franck violin, only it must be solo.

Thanks so much!

M
M
A few pieces I can think of:

Rach Elegie Op.3 - 1 is quite dramatic and extremely emotional (only 5 minutes long)

Chopin Ballade 1

Scriabin Sonata 2 (op.19)

Liszt - Sonetto 104. or Vallee d'Obermann

Good luck.

H
H
Well, I thought I could provide a quite perfect piece for your purpose, but alas, it usually seems to clock in at a mere 4 1/2 minutes:
Medtner - Canzona Serenata (Op.38 No.6)
Alexei Volodin - Canzona Serenata

Something in that vain?

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Oddly, the first piece that came into my mind is a Classical piece, Mozart's Rondo in A minor, K511. grin

It will also help to balance your program out, as it currently lacks a Classical piece.

Otherwise you're talking Chopin (Polonaise in F# minor, Op.44 perhaps), Mendelssohn (Fantasie in F# minor, Op.28), Liszt (À la Chapelle Sixtine - Miserere d'Allegri et Ave verum corpus de Mozart), Brahms (any of his Ballades Op.10), Fauré (Nocturne No.2, Barcarolle No.5 in F# minor - I love F# minor), Tchaikovsky (Meditation in D, Op.72/5), Rachmaninov (Prelude Op.32/13), Taneyev (Prelude & Fugue in G# minor)......

For something really wacky and off-the-beaten-track, I recommend Smetana's Macbeth and the Witches thumb.

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Sean P! A few that come to mind for me --

Chopin Nocturne Op 27 #1
Nocturne Op 48 #1

Schumann 3rd Movement from Phantasie Op 17

Faure Nocturne Op 36 #4

Rachmaninoff Prelude Op 23 #4

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
To me, late Brahms piano pieces are full of emotions. I think they are some of the saddest music ever written. Can you program several pieces? Or play an entire opus?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
A second vote for Rach Elrgie op 3 no 1
Listen to recordings of Garilov and Reisenberg before you make a decision

B
BDB Offline
B
At one end, Invitation to the Dance, by Weber. At the other end, the Carousel Waltz by Rodgers.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
To me, late Brahms piano pieces are full of emotions. I think they are some of the saddest music ever written. Can you program several pieces? Or play an entire opus?

Sadness is only one emotion, however. There are many other emotions well-portrayed in music: joy, anger, passion, devotion, etc.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Depends how obscure you want it to be, and what else you want to show off.

Chopin's Allegro de Concert (op.46) could fit the bill - it's not his best work by a long way, but is overtly with some passionate climaxes, it's a substantial and technically demanding work, if you play it a good tempo you can squeeze it in under 12 minutes, and by Chopin standards it's less well known.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Sadness is only one emotion, however. There are many other emotions well-portrayed in music: joy, anger, passion, devotion, etc.

Hmm...to me, late Brahms pieces provide different shades or variations on sad. Or they evoke sadness in the listener. Even that last Rhapsody, which sounds joyful and full of hope, has to end on a crushingly sad coda in a minor key.

Maybe I'm just associating that music with old age, regrets, sorrows, lost love, what could have been, yadda yadda yadda

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
A second vote for Rach Elrgie op 3 no 1
Listen to recordings of Garilov and Reisenberg before you make a decision

Listen to a recording by Rachmaninoff as well.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I'll let others suggest the more mainstream pieces. My heart breaks at just the opening notes of so many of them! But since you said you're also looking for more unknown, I was listening to some dumkas today; maybe one would catch your fancy. I can think offhand of a lovely one by Balakirev, and another one by Tchaikovsky.

Trying to think broadly of things people tend not to be familiar with...here are some other things that came to mind, though I didn't really think too hard other than recalling I liked them for one reason or another, and that they are not as well-known. I didn't take difficulty in mind, either, so some might not be sufficient for your purposes.

Scriabin Fantasy Op. 28

Bortkiewicz Elegie Op. 46

Medtner Forgotten Melodies (op 38 one) Sonata Reminiscenza, or the Op. 39, sonata tragica

Tchaikovsky Romance in F minor

Alkan Nocturne Op. 22

Merikanto Albumblad Op. 3

Kalinnikov Elegie b flat minor (or maybe the nocturne?)

Glinka Alabiev Nightingale variations

Kosenko piano sonata #3

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I came into this thread all excited to mention the Rach Elegie, and I see it was the very first suggestion listed and then a few more times after that.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
I came into this thread all excited to mention the Rach Elegie, and I see it was the very first suggestion listed and then a few more times after that.

Yeah, that makes two of us.

T
T
I find Tchaikovsky's Dumka Op 59 is a good piece to convey emotions. Since you say you convey big emotions well, I might consider looking at this if your teacher feels its appropriate for your level.

No one's mentioned it yet so I will. Rachmaninoff's arrangement of Fritz Kreisler's Liebeslied or "Love's Sorrow". The piece is definitely for an upper-level intermediate to advanced pianist as the rhythms can be complicated in some areas as well as voicing.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~ Sergei Rachmaninoff ~
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JDRPiano
No one's mentioned it yet so I will. Rachmaninoff's arrangement of Fritz Kreisler's Liebeslied or "Love's Sorrow". The piece is definitely for an upper-level intermediate to advanced pianist as the rhythms can be complicated in some areas as well as voicing.

You're underestimating the transcription's difficulty. It's very hard. Also too short for the OP's criteria.

Regards,

Polyphonist
O
O
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp

Yeah, that makes two of us.

Three of us laugh

"It always seems impossible until it's done."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission