Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
97 registered members (AZNpiano, ando, accordeur, AWilley, BeeZee4, achoo42, AYS, 18 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best music editions? #2684558
10/23/17 11:29 PM
10/23/17 11:29 PM
Northern California
JDRPiano Offline OP
JDRPiano  Offline OP

Northern California
Hello everyone!

I looked into a website which listed the best publishing editions for music: http://bestsheetmusiceditions.com/. I have also seen the Belwin-Mills Publishing and the Kalmus Edition (it says on the website that the Kalmus Editions aren't exactly the best). Which is the better between the two of the previous statement. Also, isn't Belwin-Mills Publishing owned by Alfred? Thanks you all in advance!

“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”
― Johann Sebastian Bach
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2684562
10/24/17 12:03 AM
10/24/17 12:03 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Check out the FAQs, just above the opening window in this area.

Semipro Tech
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2684642
10/24/17 11:00 AM
10/24/17 11:00 AM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Aren’t some Kalmus scores reprints of Peters, or the other way around? 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2684807
10/24/17 11:57 PM
10/24/17 11:57 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by JDRPiano
Hello everyone!

I looked into a website which listed the best publishing editions for music: http://bestsheetmusiceditions.com/. I have also seen the Belwin-Mills Publishing and the Kalmus Edition (it says on the website that the Kalmus Editions aren't exactly the best). Which is the better between the two of the previous statement. Also, isn't Belwin-Mills Publishing owned by Alfred? Thanks you all in advance!

That is a very odd site - you click on the "About" and there's is absolutely nothing about who is responsible for it, or what their credentials might be, or why we should have any confidence in their opinions. There's an email in the "Contact", but again, not a word about the actual person(s). Strange.

I didn't realize that Alfred had taken over Belwin-Mills. Or maybe only part of it - after a bit of investigation of a couple of scores at Sheet Music Plus, it isn't clear to me what has happened.

I have an old Belwin-Mills Rachmaninoff collection, and now, at Sheet Music Plus, it shows up with the Alfred logo at the bottom of the front cover.

But, I also have a Belwin-Mills Chaminade collection (which, interestingly enough, says "Kalmus Piano Series" at the top of the cover), and if I look it up at Sheet Music Plus, it now has a Kalmus logo where Belwin-Mills used to appear, not Alfred. So, who knows....

In terms of quality, I'd place them around the same level. The actual physical production is pretty basic, to put it kindly, but the print is clear enough, and the editions seem based on fairly decent sources. The cheap, glued binding of the Rachmaninoff collection I mentioned is completely falling apart, but to be fair, it has seen a lot of use, and was inexpensive, so I didn't necessarily expect it to hold up. I should go get it spiral bound, I guess.

-----------------

Off on a tangent - last time I checked, there is no complete collection of Rachmaninoff's transcriptions and arrangements, which seems inexplicable, considering his popularity. The closest thing to it I found was this old - former Belwin-Mills, now Alfred - collection. Maybe now that the copyrights have run out (I think), that will change and some smart publisher will publish them all in one volume.

Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2684814
10/25/17 01:54 AM
10/25/17 01:54 AM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Wisconsin, USA
Hi there,

Have you ever heard or urtext additions? Henle Verlag, Barenreiter and Wiener Urtext are examples of publishers who specialize in urtext editions. Scholars research each and every notation and trace it back to the original composition.

Here is a more formal definition:

An urtext edition of a work of classical music is a printed version intended to reproduce the original intention of the composer as exactly as possible, without any added or changed material. Other kinds of editions distinct from urtext are facsimile and interpretive editions.

My preference is urtext because I don't really care for editions that change anything from the original. My favorite is Henle Verlag.

All the best to you / Steve

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 10/25/17 01:56 AM.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2684824
10/25/17 04:24 AM
10/25/17 04:24 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Online happy
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Every edition has it's pro's and con's. And books of the same publisher can have various levels of quality. My preferences are, in order:

1) Newly engraved editions, please! Computer generated. None of that photocopy of photocopy junk. Everything has to be neat, clean, and clearly legible.

2) Pagination done with consideration for wide spacing and logical page turns. I don't like the older editions that try to cram 1,000,000 notes onto one page to save paper. Large font is a plus.

3) Solid binding that allows the book to lie flat on the rack. Paper quality is important, too.

4) Nothing overly edited. If edited, I'd like to know exactly what was edited in/out and why (footnotes or endnotes). Some editors are so bad, I stopped buying their music.

5) Don't give fingering unless it is actually helpful.

--------------------------------------------------

One word on urtext editions: They are not always good. In fact, I'm starting to think that publishers use the word "urtext" as a marketing ploy. I mean, any edition can call itself urtext, but which "original" are they reproducing? Sometimes the composer's manuscript varies drastically from the first edition. And then there might be corrections done by the composer over the first edition.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Best music editions? [Re: AZNpiano] #2684839
10/25/17 08:56 AM
10/25/17 08:56 AM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Minneapolis
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

2) Pagination done with consideration for wide spacing and logical page turns. I don't like the older editions that try to cram 1,000,000 notes onto one page to save paper. Large font is a plus.

5) Don't give fingering unless it is actually helpful.

One word on urtext editions: They are not always good. In fact, I'm starting to think that publishers use the word "urtext" as a marketing ploy. I mean, any edition can call itself urtext, but which "original" are they reproducing? Sometimes the composer's manuscript varies drastically from the first edition. And then there might be corrections done by the composer over the first edition.

2 - You mean like International's edition of the Rach Preludes, especially 23/10? If you've seen this, you'll know what I mean! They squeeze it into two pages and could easily be four...

5 - My students always ask why I cross out most fingering. A college professor once told me that fingering editors have never played piano; they just get paid by the amount of numbers they arbitrarily insert. smile Half-joking, of course, maybe...

Urtext - I found out as a young student that urtext may, in fact, just be a marketing ploy as there are so many bad urtext editions out there. So many urtext editions of the same music, yet vast differences and wordy footnotes to justify them. If "urtext" leads us to believe they are closest to the composer's original manuscript, how can they all be "right", yet so different and contradictory? Sort of like religions... wink

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: Best music editions? [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2684841
10/25/17 09:32 AM
10/25/17 09:32 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp

Urtext - I found out as a young student that urtext may, in fact, just be a marketing ploy as there are so many bad urtext editions out there. So many urtext editions of the same music, yet vast differences and wordy footnotes to justify them. If "urtext" leads us to believe they are closest to the composer's original manuscript, how can they all be "right", yet so different and contradictory? Sort of like religions... wink

A good urtext will explain exactly what their sources are, and why they made the choices they made. I don't remember seeing many that claimed to be "right". I am leery of ones that just say they are urtext, but give no information to back it up. But I haven't seen that very often.

If there are choices to be made, and different urtext editors make different choices, the results will be different. That doesn't invalidate the concept, I don't think. It just shows that there are different paths towards reaching the final urtext edition. If you understand what they are doing, there's no reason to expect all urtexts of the same score to be identical.

And publication dates can come into play, too. Sometimes things come to light after one urtext is published, but before another, so the latter one can incorporate information that wasn't available to the earlier one, resulting in differences.

Re: Best music editions? [Re: BDB] #2685018
10/25/17 10:11 PM
10/25/17 10:11 PM
Northern California
JDRPiano Offline OP
JDRPiano  Offline OP

Northern California
Hello everyone!!

Thank you all so much for your informative responses! In response to Lakeviewsteve, yes, I have heard of "Urtext" editions and I own several Urtext edition scores as well by various publishing companies such as G. Henle (Verlag), Editio Musica Budapest, and Konemann Musica Budapest (this edition is rare but very authoritative and awesome!). I have recently discovered Boosey & Hawkes (actually, the night that I started this thread) and some other editions such as Durand and Berenreiter. Any other editions for Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 1 that I should know about? I really would love to have the best edition possible as I do with all of my other music. On another note, I hear that the new G. Schirmer Performance editions (the ones with dark brownish ends and some kind of portrait in the middle) are very good, anyone have an objection to that so I can keep note of it? Thank you all again for your posts!

“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”
― Johann Sebastian Bach
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2685025
10/25/17 11:10 PM
10/25/17 11:10 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
There is a relatively new selection of Schumann, in an urtext by Dover, which looks pretty good—not discussed much on PW.

Schumann Urtext Dover

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2685026
10/25/17 11:24 PM
10/25/17 11:24 PM
Northern California
JDRPiano Offline OP
JDRPiano  Offline OP

Northern California
Thanks for the link WhoDwaldi! Will definitely purchase the two volumes as I am preparing to learn Schumann's Papillions next quarter!

― Johann Sebastian Bach
Re: Best music editions? [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2685031
10/25/17 11:58 PM
10/25/17 11:58 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
There is a relatively new selection of Schumann, in an urtext by Dover, which looks pretty good—not discussed much on PW.

Schumann Urtext Dover

A user on Amazon commented:

Only thing is... Dover claims the book's binding is "Lay flat." It may be, but it's not flat enough for me. The solution is simple: go to your nearest Staples and rebind the book with a spiral. Then you can really enjoy your Schumann without hassle!

... which has always been one of my primary complaints with Dover.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2685250
10/26/17 10:40 PM
10/26/17 10:40 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by JDRPiano
I have recently discovered Boosey & Hawkes (actually, the night that I started this thread) and some other editions such as Durand and Berenreiter. Any other editions for Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 1 that I should know about? I really would love to have the best edition possible as I do with all of my other music.

A relatively recent edition (2012) of the Rachmaninoff sonata is a Russian edition from P. Jurgenson. I haven't seen it or read anything about it. The San Francisco public library has it, so, since you are in northern California, you may want to check it out, either directly from them or via interlibrary loan.

Other than that, there really aren't all that many editions of that piece among the top tier of publishers. Henle hasn't gotten around to it yet, but I am guessing they will eventually. Personally, if ordering it today, I'd choose either Boosey or International. One of my favorite Rachmaninoff editions in my library is the International edition of the Etudes-Tableaux op. 39, which has a decent sewn binding that seems indestructible and it is easy to read, so I'm a little biased in favor of them.

Re: Best music editions? [Re: JDRPiano] #2685260
10/26/17 11:58 PM
10/26/17 11:58 PM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Wisconsin, USA
Hi there JDRPiano. Thank you for your response. G. Henle Verlag, a German company, published several Urtext editions by Rachmaninoff just a few years back after the copyright expired in Germany because their copyright law is life plus 70 years. Since he died in 1943 the first year they were eligible to be published in Germany was 2013. Unfortunately the Sonata no 1 hasn't been published by them yet (as mentioned in WR's post above). I have their volume of 24 Preludes and in my opinion it is excellent!

Here is a link:

http://www.henleusa.com/en/detail/index.html?Title=24+Préludes_1200

All the best / Steve

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 10/27/17 12:02 AM.

Bösendorfer 170

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A YouTube Channel That Has Really Helped Me
by writebynight. 08/18/19 05:31 PM
Repertoire for Warm Up
by cmb13. 08/18/19 04:11 PM
Fallboard not as slow as it used to be
by doremi. 08/18/19 03:55 PM
A Theoretical MIDI Question (or Two....)
by newbert. 08/18/19 03:28 PM
Best cheapest hydraulic piano bench
by Abdol. 08/18/19 03:00 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,610
Posts2,860,188
Members94,184
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission