2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, 5 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2684180 10/22/17 07:46 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi all,

I create my videos using Windows Movie Maker and I seem to have an issue with volume level.

I video recored with a digital camera and I audio record with a Zoom H2n recorder that I sync in Movie Maker. I set the gain on my Zoom recorder to obtain the recording level indicated in the user's manual. The problem I am encountering is the volume level on my videos is not as loud as other videos on Youtube, even after increasing the volume setting in Movie Maker.

As an indication, here is a video I made this morning: https://youtu.be/JCFdd071P8E

My questions are as follows:
a. How can I obtain a higher volume level for a Youtube video?
b. Is there a standard for volume level for videos and how do I apply this to my videos?

Any assistance I can obtain will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

Yamaha G2 5'8" grand piano, Walnut finish.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I watched your YouTube video On my iPhone, and the volume is great

X
X
The audio levels sound perfectly fine on my end. I would even say that you could likely lower the gain one level, it sounds like there could be some distortion from it, although that could also just be YouTube.

Great work on your channel by the way!

I now have a signature.
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you for your encouragement, XenondiFluoride. smile

Dennis

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you Dogperson. smile

Dennis

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Dennis in Canada. I actually just got through listening to several professional and amateur recordings of piano on YouTube to make a playlist, and listened to your video at the same volume level. Your recording seemed right in the "comfortable zone", the recording level was not too quiet, and not overly loud that it was causing distortion or compression. So it seems like you're right where you need to be, so it begs the question, can you give us an example of a video you're comparing yours to so that we can understand the difference you're finding?

Last edited by squidbot; 10/23/17 04:47 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
You could run the audio through Audacity before Movie Maker- that will let you set the levels to your liking. I use a Zoom H4n and will typically adjust the audio to peak at -3 dB in Audacity. You can also use some other filters/effect that can often help.

[Linked Image]
D
OP Offline
D
Hi Squidbot,

Thanks for your response. Several other responses indicate that the sound level is where it should be and that it sounds fine. As I listen to it again I have to agree that the volume is within the acceptable range. But that being said, I realize what is happening.

I have the sound coming out of my stereo sound system via a bluetooth adapter. It seems that it has been getting progressively weaker, but so gradual that I never suspected any issue with the adapter. Until today.

Just today the music (and any sound) starts off OK, then it gets muffled and the volume decreases rapidly until it is almost unaudible. When I use the built-in laptop speakers the sound is fine.

I will have to check it out more closely, but it looks like the bluetooth adapter is defective -- I have had it for a few years.

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen to my video. smile

Dennis

D
OP Offline
D
Hi Ajames,

That is a splendid idea. I never thought of using Audacity. smile But I will keep it in mind for future videos. Now that I have a yardstick (-3 db) to compare my sound level to in Audacity it will be interesting to see how that works out in future videos.

Just today I realize my bluetooth adapter to put the sound out through my sound system is defective. That may have been what I was hearing lately.

Thanks for this great tip. Sometimes we don't see the most obvious. smile

Dennis

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your audio volume is quite good. On my PC, I have the Windows volume at 50% and the YouTube volume around 75%, and it's more than loud enough. Those other videos you see on YouTube either have their gain way too high, or they are using pro mics with pre-amps (often with compressors and equalizers, too, which you normally wouldn't use in classical music anyway, but a lot often do).

In fact, I would turn down the gain on the H2n a bit; it will eliminate some of the noise and hiss in the background. I am also very curious as to why your recording sounds so "live" when it's that close to the source. Maybe your gain is just really high.

Have you experimented with other recording modes? Lately, I have been using my H2n in 2ch surround with MS at 150 degrees with the XY side facing away from the piano. It gives it a much, much fuller sound without the background hiss. (You can hear what this sounds like via my YouTube channel in my sig.)

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
D
OP Offline
D
Hi SonatainfSharp,

Thanks so much for your generous and useful comments.

I checked out your Youtube channel. Impressive indeed -- How do I Choose Music to Study? and The Wrath of the Despoiled. Lovely piano playing, and you are an excellent communicator. And I see you have one of those crazy cats too. smile

I have not experimented with the H2n settings since I got it about 3 years ago. I'll try different settings and positions... I might be pleasantly surprised.

In this lastest video I have my gain set at 5.5. In Windows Movie Maker I increased the volume to the maximum. Perhaps that causes some of the distortion.

In the comments above I indicated that my bluetooth adapter is defective. After a little more exploration I discovered that it is my stereo receiver that is showing signs fo age. I have had this old JVC RX-6010V over 20 years.

Glad I discovered hour Youtube channel. And thank you again.

All the best.

Dennis

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the kind words. Whenever I start to feel that my YouTube channel is a joke and waste of time, someone makes a positive comment and I am inspired to keep going.

I definitely encourage you to re-visit your recording settings, even though your audio is perfectly fine now. You may find new settings that you like, or you may keep everything the same.

I am surprised that your gain is all the way up to 5.5. I can't have my gain higher than 1.5 or it distorts. Of course there are several factors here, though, and having the H2n 18" behind my studio upright and yours placed on the side of the music rack of a grand piano might account for the volume output from the piano to be so different.

If you do revisit your mic set-up, post a video and let me know because I would love to hear the difference!

On this same topic, I have to revisit all my recording settings myself now because I rearranged my studio and I have to find a new microphone placement, which means at least a few hours of microphone placement experiments! smile

Sorry to hear that your 20yo receiving is breaking. My 20yo studio headphones broke recently, and nothing is coming close to a suitable replacement. frown

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
D
OP Offline
D
Hi SonatainfSharp,

Your advice on the mic configuration was excellent advice. I set the H2n to 2ch with at 150 degrees (S: +6), I am playing around with the gain and it looks like 2.5 is about optimal for my playing. The sound difference is amazing. I am hearing a clarity that I could not get before.

I live about one hour north of Ottawa and the weather here has been crazy for the past few days with extended power outages. When things get back to normal I will make a video demonstrating a "before and after". The sound difference is really noticeable. I can't do it now as the generator is just outside the wall.

I checked out your studio makeover. Looks really good and functional. I am sure the kids will enjoy their play area.

Thanks again. All the best.

Dennis

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission