2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
cmb13 #2909911 11/09/19 07:52 AM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Aw....it was unreasonably difficult.

Fwiw, Rumours was my favorite album of theirs, and I grew up on the new Fleetwood Mac. However, we posted questions relating to the old version of the band on this quiz as it was a 50-years ago themed party and the music trivia reflected that.

Kevin, sound like you had a great time with that baby grand. The high registers probably had some short strings, a limitation of the size.

Animisha, I also had some computer problems; I finally retired my 2009 iMac and spent a while transferring data and old emails to my newer MacBook (2017). I experimented with some external drives for backup and transfer, and bought a beautiful external monitor. I think this one will be my primary computer for a while. The hard drive is smaller, so I archived my music burned from hundreds of cd's and older photos onto an external drive, and left current info not the MacBook. The music is no longer necessary, really, as I can listen to anything on iTunes now anyway.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
enw10 #2909912 11/09/19 07:55 AM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10
I got 2!!!

I knew "A Boy Named Sue" only because I had an obsession with the Goo Goo Dolls in high school and their best album was "A Boy Named Goo", obvious from the Johnny Cash song. I also knew the Fleetwood Mac one... only because we just talked about it on the last page.

So, really, I deserve 0.

No, you deserve 2.
Chance favors the prepared. You, by chance knew 2. And you're not from the generation represented in this quiz, if you grew up with the Goo Goo Dolls, who I was listening to in my 20s. So not bad. Now go listen to Abbey Road, CSN, Led Zeppelin I, Pinball Wizard, and some Stones. smile

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Jytte
Much as I like Fleetwood Mac and Les Miserables, I preferred to give myself some goosebumps with Faust:

Do you like concert operas? I have a fundamental objection to operas that aren't staged. That is not how the composer intended for the performance. It might as well be an Oratorio instead of an opera.

My life would be so much poorer without Gounod, Bizet, Lehar & Co. smile

Agreed in the case of Bizet. I'm an opera superfan and a patron member of the NY Met. thumb

I actually came to piano because of opera. In November 2017, I was shopping for opera Blu-ray's and came across a Casio keyboard on the landing page of Amazon.com. On an impulse, I bought a keyboard that afternoon (a Roland FP30 and not that first Casio). And that's how I got into piano. I can blame it all on shopping for opera discs.

If I like a piece of music/singing, it matters not a bit to me how or where it's performed (as long as it's good). I was exposed to all this at a very young age. My first opera, at the age around 8 or 9 or so, was Mozart's 'Die Entführung aus dem Serail', and while the spectacle, the costumes etc captured me, I was thinking 'wow! these people can really SING', and it was the music that stayed with me. Ironically, I don't think I've ever seen or heard that one since. I was taken to 'Swan Lake' in that same period, and that music has been my trusty companion ever since, have the video, have the CD, listen to it all the time. While I like to watch the video at times, it is very beautiful, it's the music that counts. If music speaks to me, gives me goosebumbs, that is what counts for me. Put me in front of a video of Placido Domingo singing Vesti la Giubba, and I'm in heaven, I could care less if he's 'on stage' wearing a costume and clown makeup, or not.

Does it matter 'what the composer intended'? I don't think so. It matters very much how it makes you feel. The music I really like, is music that conveys the feeling that the composer intended, even if you're blindfolded. Think 1812 Overture... no imaging necessary, the music is enough, it tells the story.

There's plenty of other music I like as well, plenty of music in the goosebump category. It could be pop, rock, folk, country (but not jazz please), but it's gotta speak to me.

I came to the piano in a similar way smile I just love singing, but I cannot sing (voice broke), so the piano is my outlet, even as bad as I am at present, I still feel the piano sings for me.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Yes, it was pretty tough....too tough imo. My wife helped make the questions; I thought we should tame it. Nobody got more than 5-6 answers. Fun trivia, though.

I think contests like this should have prizes for the lowest scores too. Like if there was a prize for zero answers, I'd be competitive! 😎

You beat me LOL, I got 1 because of Johnny Cash (I'm a fan).

I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Jytte #2909948 11/09/19 09:56 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If I like a piece of music/singing, it matters not a bit to me how or where it's performed (as long as it's good). I was exposed to all this at a very young age. My first opera, at the age around 8 or 9 or so, was Mozart's 'Die Entführung aus dem Serail', and while the spectacle, the costumes etc captured me, I was thinking 'wow! these people can really SING', and it was the music that stayed with me. Ironically, I don't think I've ever seen or heard that one since. I was taken to 'Swan Lake' in that same period, and that music has been my trusty companion ever since, have the video, have the CD, listen to it all the time. While I like to watch the video at times, it is very beautiful, it's the music that counts. If music speaks to me, gives me goosebumbs, that is what counts for me. Put me in front of a video of Placido Domingo singing Vesti la Giubba, and I'm in heaven, I could care less if he's 'on stage' wearing a costume and clown makeup, or not.

Does it matter 'what the composer intended'? I don't think so. It matters very much how it makes you feel. The music I really like, is music that conveys the feeling that the composer intended, even if you're blindfolded. Think 1812 Overture... no imaging necessary, the music is enough, it tells the story.

There's plenty of other music I like as well, plenty of music in the goosebump category. It could be pop, rock, folk, country (but not jazz please), but it's gotta speak to me.

I came to the piano in a similar way smile I just love singing, but I cannot sing (voice broke), so the piano is my outlet, even as bad as I am at present, I still feel the piano sings for me

I totally get it and why you like opera. Yet... in the bigger picture, I'm just don't feel comfortable with it, just like I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable with someone telling me he likes paintings because he likes the way the textures of the different brush strokes feel under his fingers. While such a hypothetical art appreciator certainly has the right to enjoy his art any way he wants and to appreciate it for qualities others don't commonly appreciate or perhaps, even notice, the way he appreciates it is not the way that that art form was intended to be experienced.

Similarly, for opera, you have full right to listen to opera, on the radio, in your shower, whenever and however you wish. But without the staging was not the reason the Florentine Camerata invented opera in the sixteenth century - a work of drama and not just song. They had songs before - beautiful songs. But opera was to carry action and drama... and does. But of course, one can just view it as music and song too. So don't let my words be a criticism of you. I am not intending it to be this way at all, and I am only trilll to find another fan even if you appreciate it in your own way.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
cmb13 #2909953 11/09/19 10:14 AM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
In other news, I just picked up tickets for two South Florida shows:

National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine Nov 19
Volodymyr Sirenko, Conductor
Olga Kern, Piano

Program to include:
+Maksym Berezovsky/Symphony in C Major (circa 1773)
+Rachmaninoff/Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18
+Tchaikovsky/Symphony No. 1 in G minor, Op. 13 (“Winter Daydreams”)

and

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Jan 19
Mark Wigglesworth, Conductor
Khatia Buniatishvili, Piano

Program to include:
+ Walton/Portsmouth Point Overture
+ Liszt/Piano Concerto No. 2 in A Major, S. 125
+ Rachmaninoff/Symphony No. 2 in E minor, Op. 27

Very Excited!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, it was pretty tough....too tough imo. My wife helped make the questions; I thought we should tame it. Nobody got more than 5-6 answers. Fun trivia, though.

I think contests like this should have prizes for the lowest scores too. Like if there was a prize for zero answers, I'd be competitive! 😎

I'd be tops in that, LOL!!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
cmb13 #2910051 11/09/19 04:02 PM
A
A

Olga Kern, Piano

Program to include:

and

Program to include:

Very Excited!

Congratulations.

The January 19 show in particular sounds great. I am a big fan of the Rachmaninoff concerto.

I live in the Tampa Bay area---I'm debating taking my 6 year old to some of the upcoming Beethoven events.

She is also a fan of classical and takes lessons from the same teacher I do.

cmb13 #2910064 11/09/19 04:22 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by enw10
I got 2!!!

I knew "A Boy Named Sue" only because I had an obsession with the Goo Goo Dolls in high school and their best album was "A Boy Named Goo", obvious from the Johnny Cash song. I also knew the Fleetwood Mac one... only because we just talked about it on the last page.

So, really, I deserve 0.

No, you deserve 2.
Chance favors the prepared. You, by chance knew 2. And you're not from the generation represented in this quiz, if you grew up with the Goo Goo Dolls, who I was listening to in my 20s. So not bad. Now go listen to Abbey Road, CSN, Led Zeppelin I, Pinball Wizard, and some Stones. smile

Thank you, cmb! You always say the nicest things smile

And you're right, this music was a little before my time wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I came to the piano in a similar way smile I just love singing, but I cannot sing (voice broke), so the piano is my outlet, even as bad as I am at present, I still feel the piano sings for me

I totally get it and why you like opera. Yet... in the bigger picture, I'm just don't feel comfortable with it, just like I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable with someone telling me he likes paintings because he likes the way the textures of the different brush strokes feel under his fingers. While such a hypothetical art appreciator certainly has the right to enjoy his art any way he wants and to appreciate it for qualities others don't commonly appreciate or perhaps, even notice, the way he appreciates it is not the way that that art form was intended to be experienced.

Similarly, for opera, you have full right to listen to opera, on the radio, in your shower, whenever and however you wish. But without the staging was not the reason the Florentine Camerata invented opera in the sixteenth century - a work of drama and not just song. They had songs before - beautiful songs. But opera was to carry action and drama... and does. But of course, one can just view it as music and song too. So don't let my words be a criticism of you. I am not intending it to be this way at all, and I am only trilll to find another fan even if you appreciate it in your own way.

I understand where you're coming from. No, I don't take it as criticism, we each appreciate music in our own way, and for our own reasons. As long as we enjoy it, everything is good smile For some reason it's getting rarer to see people listening to opera without wrinkling their noses and/or rolling their eyes.

PS: I also enjoy (some) film music without the movie shocked

cmb13 #2910158 11/09/19 07:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Olga Kern, Piano

Program to include:

and

Program to include:

Very Excited!

Wow, two excellent pianists! Sounds like they will be outstanding!

[Linked Image]
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Antihero

Olga Kern, Piano

Program to include:

and

Program to include:

Very Excited!

Congratulations.

The January 19 show in particular sounds great. I am a big fan of the Rachmaninoff concerto.

I live in the Tampa Bay area---I'm debating taking my 6 year old to some of the upcoming Beethoven events.

That's amazing your 6 year old is into tihs music. You honestly don't want know what my kids listen to. Hint...my son has played travel basketball for many years. The music ain't pretty.

I'll bet Tampa gets some nice shows also. We don't get what they get in NY, though, that's for sure. And Europe blows us all away!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Olga Kern, Piano

Program to include:

and

Program to include:

Very Excited!

Wow, two excellent pianists! Sounds like they will be outstanding!

Yes, I'm psyched. Unfortunately, Jean Thibaudet is coming also, but I can't make it. He also played a recital literally blocks from where I was staying in London this summer, and I missed that too...I had family events I couldn't pull away from.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 #2910277 11/10/19 08:10 AM
A
A

Olga Kern, Piano

Program to include:

and

Program to include:

Very Excited!

Congratulations.

That's amazing your 6 year old is into tihs music. You honestly don't want know what my kids listen to. Hint...my son has played travel basketball for many years. The music ain't pretty.

I'll bet Tampa gets some nice shows also. We don't get what they get in NY, though, that's for sure. And Europe blows us all away!

Haha. I understand about the music most kids listen to.

Our house has always had an unusually eclectic mix of musical genres playing. My daughter doesn't find anything unusual about moving between Mozart/Beethoven/Kidz Bop/other popular music.

During her first week of first grade the kids were tasked to complete and share things about themselves. One of the questions was "What's your favorite song?"

When we went to visit the school all of the responses were posted in the classroom. Old Town Road was the response for half of the classs. There were a few Disney tunes and a smattering of other pop songs. Hers was Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata. She was absolutely perplexed that none of her classmates knew the music.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
When we went to visit the school all of the responses were posted in the classroom. Old Town Road was the response for half of the classs.

Had to look that one up! Never even heard of "Lil Nas X." Probably should have asked the daughter. smile

There were a few Disney tunes and a smattering of other pop songs. Hers was Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata. She was absolutely perplexed that none of her classmates knew the music.

Enjoy that feeling while it lasts. Based on my personal experience, it doesn't last that long after a child becomes school-aged!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
A
When we went to visit the school all of the responses were posted in the classroom. Old Town Road was the response for half of the classs.

Had to look that one up! Never even heard of "Lil Nas X." Probably should have asked the daughter. smile

There were a few Disney tunes and a smattering of other pop songs. Hers was Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata. She was absolutely perplexed that none of her classmates knew the music.

Enjoy that feeling while it lasts. Based on my personal experience, it doesn't last that long after a child becomes school-aged!

Personally I could do without Lil Nas X in my life---but kids seem to be utterly enamoured with that song.

I hope you're wrong---but think it is OK for kids to drift away from clasical music and hopefully return to it later in life. I think exposure is important.

I'm just glad that she enjoys music--and learning to play it. My hope is that it will be a lifelong friend for her.

E
E

I have no idea who/what that is either... and I'm pretty ok with that, hahaha. I kept up with popular music through college, then I moved abroad and spent 10 years listening to 80's Brazilian rock. I'm back in the US now, but my oldest is 11 and still into Disney and musicals.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have been looking at AnthemScore lately. Has anybody here tried it?
I'm wondering how much of a 'useful' sheet one might get from a piano solo with this software?

Try it and let us know! I've seen some things like this, but the resulting score usually requires heavy editing since people are imprecise and rubato gets mangled smile However, this says it uses AI techniques, so maybe it tries to infer what was on the original score from a person's attempt to play that score.

So I did. I just downloaded the trial version of AnthemScore... (I haven't used MuseScore in years, and AnthemScore never obviously)

I decided to make a test run with something familiar, so made an mp3 (with VLC) of a video of Tzvi Erez playing Bach's Prelude in C.
I opened that mp3 file in AnthemScore, chose the first 20 seconds of it, and ran it. You have various options of editing in Anthem, like moving the measures, changing notevalues etc, but in this case I did nothing at all. I just saved it as .xml file, then opened it up in MuseScore. I did nothing to it in there either.
This is the result:

(the top half is the actual sheet music, the bottom half what AnthemScore transcribed)

[Linked Image]

Well, actually not too shabby. All the notes are there. Obviously the note values are off, but you should be able to fix that in AnthemScore easily (from what I've read). You also get the misc dynamics of the player displayed as 'longer notes' and what not. And, the software considers any and all notes played from middle C to be 'treble'.

It would take some editing to bring this back to where it's supposed to be, but not too bad really.

I was thinking of getting this as a 'last resort' when you find music you absolutely want to play, and no way whatsoever to get at the sheet (and DO want a sheet to play from). I have done this the 'old fashioned way' before, by ear, one note at a time, maybe by sight (if video) for some of the bass, entering into Musescore etc etc. It is a LOT of work. Having the 'ground work' done by Anthem, beats the old method by a mile. I think...

Jytte #2911238 11/12/19 04:45 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
So I did. I just downloaded the trial version of AnthemScore... (I haven't used MuseScore in years, and AnthemScore never obviously)

I decided to make a test run with something familiar, so made an mp3 (with VLC) of a video of Tzvi Erez playing Bach's Prelude in C.
I opened that mp3 file in AnthemScore, chose the first 20 seconds of it, and ran it. You have various options of editing in Anthem, like moving the measures, changing notevalues etc, but in this case I did nothing at all. I just saved it as .xml file, then opened it up in MuseScore. I did nothing to it in there either.
This is the result:

(the top half is the actual sheet music, the bottom half what AnthemScore transcribed)

[Linked Image]

Well, actually not too shabby. All the notes are there. Obviously the note values are off, but you should be able to fix that in AnthemScore easily (from what I've read). You also get the misc dynamics of the player displayed as 'longer notes' and what not. And, the software considers any and all notes played from middle C to be 'treble'.

It would take some editing to bring this back to where it's supposed to be, but not too bad really.

I was thinking of getting this as a 'last resort' when you find music you absolutely want to play, and no way whatsoever to get at the sheet (and DO want a sheet to play from). I have done this the 'old fashioned way' before, by ear, one note at a time, maybe by sight (if video) for some of the bass, entering into Musescore etc etc. It is a LOT of work. Having the 'ground work' done by Anthem, beats the old method by a mile. I think...

I was just complaining what a hard time I have to listen to a piece and determine the meter. Glad to see AI can't do it either smile

Better than I thought it would be though. Thanks for the software review. I'll have to try it myself!

[Linked Image]

cmb13 #2911244 11/12/19 04:56 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, the human ear has the advantage of being attached to our brain. When we listen to a piece, we know that 'this note isn't longer, he just plays it that way', 'the measure starts here not there', and we can generally (for simpler pieces) hear what is treble and what is bass, or deduct it. Software does not have this advantage, and I knew these limitations up front, but it is a help in just 'getting all the notes lined up' before you get to the editing part.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission