Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
49 registered members (AZNpiano, AprilE, 12 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2683655 - 10/20/17 04:39 PM How do you feel about “Banging” in Blues/Boogie/Rock & Roll  
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
500 Post Club Member

I went to a local blues/rock festival with a group of music students/teachers and there was a whole lot of piano banging ‘goin on’ - typical jerry lee lewis / high-energy type songs We got into a long unresolved discussion ... so I thought I’d ask here ...

Do you think banging the piano is poor technique or is it part of the style of high-energy blues/boogie/rock & roll? laugh

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2683675 - 10/20/17 05:38 PM Re: How do you feel about “Banging” in Blues/Boogie/Rock & Roll [Re: Groove On]  
Simon_b Offline
Simon_b  Offline

Kent, UK
Hi

I have a huge admiration for great technical Pianists, whether it's in the Classical or Jazz genre. Oscar Peterson is probably my favourite Pianist of all. The dedication required to get to the level of a great player like that is unbelievable.

However, Jerry Lee Lewis is also one of my Piano heroes, along with many other lesser players who aren't great technicians.These people probably just 'bang' the Piano, by any accepted 'classical' standard. But you know what I don't care. Rock, boogie and blues Piano is what got me into taking the Piano seriously (for a while at least), and to this day its what I enjoy listening to and playing the most. And it sparked my interest in Jazz as well, which I listen to a lot, and dabble with playing sometimes as well.

So I suppose I'm sitting on the fence.
It probably is bad technique, but its a part of blues/boogie etc; especially for the enthusiastic amateur!

Cheers

Simon

Simon
Yamaha CLP535

#2683703 - 10/20/17 07:32 PM Re: How do you feel about “Banging” in Blues/Boogie/Rock & Roll [Re: Simon_b]  
krewster Offline
krewster  Offline

equatorial asia

I'm guessing the professional banging to which you are probably referring is mostly, historically a negative by-product of the keyboardist never enjoying control of the PA mixer.

Back at home, the only thing banging achieved for me was persistent RH tendonitis (fm practicing fast-changing, 4-noted chords for hours every day in a clenching type posture).

Nursing the RH back from the injury these past 3 years, I noticed and lasered out of my life a bad habit of being moved to bang as a way to create cheap passion to cover up finger uncertainty about the next chord/solo line notes.

so that's how I feel about banging...

#2683707 - 10/20/17 07:52 PM Re: How do you feel about “Banging” in Blues/Boogie/Rock & Roll [Re: Groove On]  
carolinakeys Online content
carolinakeys  Online Content

Union SC
It seems if done correctly it’s good. I don’t see the piano as strictly a classical instrument as others aren’t. Watching Stevie Ray Vaughan beat up a strat and not miss a note proves artistic expression comes in many forms. I love Classical as well as Metal and Country. It looks to me like banging would sound like a bloody mess if incorrect notes sound so maybe there is more to it than just slamming keys.

#2683754 - 10/21/17 02:53 AM Re: How do you feel about “Banging” in Blues/Boogie/Rock & Roll [Re: Groove On]  
Nahum Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Israel
The question is only in proportions. Touche of boogie Woogie (rock and roll) is decidedly different from touch of Chopin's nocturnes ; however, there are boundaries of the instrument itself, it is designed for finger-punching with the help of forearm, not hammering. IMO, the muscles of Jerry Lee Lewis are suitable for lifting the piano ...

#2684372 - Yesterday at 11:26 AM Re: How do you feel about “Banging” in Blues/Boogie/Rock & Roll [Re: Groove On]  
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member
fizikisto  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hernando, MS
I think that it is wonderful that our beloved instrument is capable of so many different sounds. And I think there are no rules about how a particular artist chooses to make music. Jerry Lee Lewis may not have been a great piano player in the traditional sense, but he did great and innovative things with his piano. Ben Folds is another person that comes to mind; he has a very percussive style of playing (and not boogie woogie), and he's a much better pianist than Lewis. His style of playing fits perfectly with the music he makes.

The thing is, the piano is at its heart a percussion instrument. It shouldn't surprise that some people play it as such. At the end of the day it comes down to the question, do you enjoy the music?

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800

Moderated by  sharpsandflats 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best music editions?
by JDRPiano. 10/23/17 11:29 PM
85 Yamaha G2 vs 03 Kawai GM10
by Eru. 10/23/17 10:48 PM
Best Simple Powered Speaker/Monitor for RD700nx?
by ClsscLib. 10/23/17 09:40 PM
Nervous while playing
by MusicaMusique. 10/23/17 06:11 PM
Software Pianos misbehaving....
by mwf. 10/23/17 05:34 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,453
Posts2,666,903
Members89,031
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission