2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Thank you KawaiJames, Markarian and LarryMan.

Originally Posted by LarryMan
(Markarian) You should do a recording with those sometime smile

Markarian, that would be very nice if you have the time.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by SunnyFriday
Thank you KawaiJames, Markarian and LarryMan.

Originally Posted by LarryMan
(Markarian) You should do a recording with those sometime smile

Markarian, that would be very nice if you have the time.

A recording of what? I'm confused.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
J
J
Markarian, your tag says you own a 2002 NY Steinway Model B?

Could you comment on the realism of the Grand Feel action compared to an actual grand piano?

Is there anything that immediately gives it away as "just" a digital piano?

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by jp2011

Could you comment on the realism of the Grand Feel action compared to an actual grand piano?

I think the biggest thing that gives it away, if anything, is how much force is needed to play each key before the escapement catches. On the Steinway it travels down smoothly as if you are not exerting any force. On the Kawai, you can feel a certain pushback, like the key is providing some resistance. I am not an expert, but I would guess this has to do with key weight. If you put weights on each keyboard to determine the force required for it to go down I think you would find the Kawai wants a lot more force. Adjusting "touch" and velocity curves only goes so far to mitigate this.

Most new digitals I play are just very heavy. Don't get me wrong, if I wanted a looser action, I would buy a Kurzweil, but forget any kind of realism or dynamic response. You know, with all this real wood piano action the Grand Feel has, I wonder if there's some way to have it regulated?

That being said going between the Kawai and the Steinway is not terribly jarring and both are a joy to play. I still love the MP11 and am glad I replaced my Korg with it. Though lately I have been eyeing the Physis from Viscount...I highly doubt their action measures up to Kawai's, even though it's tempting to think about owning a slab that has something like Pianoteq built in.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
M
M
Originally Posted by Markarian
I think the biggest thing that gives it away, if anything, is how much force is needed to play each key before the escapement catches. On the Steinway it travels down smoothly as if you are not exerting any force. On the Kawai, you can feel a certain pushback, like the key is providing some resistance. I am not an expert, but I would guess this has to do with key weight. If you put weights on each keyboard to determine the force required for it to go down I think you would find the Kawai wants a lot more force. Adjusting "touch" and velocity curves only goes so far to mitigate this.

You know, with all this real wood piano action the Grand Feel has, I wonder if there's some way to have it regulated?

Given my "heart vs head" conundrum is currently being won by my head and I anticipate plumping for an MP11 in the not too distant future (hopefully), I wondered about this too and I believe the answer is yes...

I remember reading a couple of posts in the "VI Labs Ravenscroft 275" thread that mention how the Kawai VPC1 used for the NAMM demo was 'tuned' to feel more like the Ravenscroft acoustic it was sitting beside. Part of PianoManChuck's video hints at what was done and it certainly looks like key weight was tweaked. I'm intrigued to find out more about Ravenworks Design and their custom re-finishing and regulating services once their website goes live.

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by jp2011

Most new digitals I play are just very heavy. Don't get me wrong, if I wanted a looser action, I would buy a Kurzweil, but forget any kind of realism or dynamic response. You know, with all this real wood piano action the Grand Feel has, I wonder if there's some way to have it regulated?

That being said going between the Kawai and the Steinway is not terribly jarring and both are a joy to play. I still love the MP11 and am glad I replaced my Korg with it. Though lately I have been eyeing the Physis from Viscount...I highly doubt their action measures up to Kawai's, even though it's tempting to think about owning a slab that has something like Pianoteq built in.

Acoustic pianos all feel different from each other, too. I've played Steinways that were really hard to play and others that were not. Also, the larger the grand in general the heavier the keys - all other things being equal.

For me, the MP11 feels lighter than my Petrof, but quite a bit heavier than my Yamaha. Like with acoustics, you adjust to the instrument you're playing. I think the things that make a digital harder to adjust to are feelings that you don't often find in acoustics of varying types: sponginess, springiness, hard bottoming out.

I'm now on week 3 of exclusively playing on the MP11 and I'm still not feeling any bad effects like I did on my FP-7 last summer, so that's a good sign.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Acoustic pianos all feel different from each other, too. I've played Steinways that were really hard to play and others that were not. Also, the larger the grand in general the heavier the keys - all other things being equal.

So true Morodiene, and in my distant past I can recall having to lift the odd sticky key whilst playing too... not only do all acoustic pianos feel different, they're not always meticulously maintained!

For me, the MP11 feels lighter than my Petrof, but quite a bit heavier than my Yamaha. Like with acoustics, you adjust to the instrument you're playing. I think the things that make a digital harder to adjust to are feelings that you don't often find in acoustics of varying types: sponginess, springiness, hard bottoming out.

Interestingly, when I tried the CA65 last weekend to get a feel for the Grand Feel action, I thought it felt lighter than the Yamaha uprights (and AvantGrand N1) on display, whilst the older RM3 Grand action subjectively felt a touch heavier.

I left the store knowing that I would adjust to whichever action I end up choosing – it's currently a toss-up between the MP10 and MP11 (the older display model is available at a nice price). Despite knowing that both are significantly more authentic than what I have now (and I'd be happy with either), Markarian's unboxing video really does make me want the shiny brand new model!! laugh

A shadow of my former self, but still the same Mac guy - designing, taking photos, talking tech, being creative and finally playing the piano again!
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic
Originally Posted by Morodiene

So true Morodiene, and in my distant past I can recall having to lift the odd sticky key whilst playing too... not only do all acoustic pianos feel different, they're not always meticulously maintained!

Interestingly, when I tried the CA65 last weekend to get a feel for the Grand Feel action, I thought it felt lighter than the Yamaha uprights (and AvantGrand N1) on display, whilst the older RM3 Grand action subjectively felt a touch heavier.

I left the store knowing that I would adjust to whichever action I end up choosing – it's currently a toss-up between the MP10 and MP11 (the older display model is available at a nice price). Despite knowing that both are significantly more authentic than what I have now (and I'd be happy with either), Markarian's unboxing video really does make me want the shiny brand new model!! laugh

While always trying to be conscious of my budget, I generally shy away from buying the older model of a keyboard. The technology progresses fast enough to make it a better long-term investment in terms of resalability and having more current samples, etc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
While always trying to be conscious of my budget, I generally shy away from buying the older model of a keyboard. The technology progresses fast enough to make it a better long-term investment in terms of resalability and having more current samples, etc.

There are advantages of getting the latest model, but "good investment" probably isn't one of them. The more expensive it is, the more it will depreciate. A second hand MP11 will get a much better price than an MP10 right now, but in 5 years' time when you come to sell, the difference will be much less. Still, if you value the extra features, the cost may be worth it.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Love unboxings. I feel like a kid on Christmas. Better when I am the one unboxing, but still fun to watch.

Good job on the video.

Also nice playing.

Have fun with the piano.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
M
M
Hello... just to revive the post a little. Do you still have the box?
I'm interested in weight and volume shocked
Thanks!
Marcos

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
V
V
Thanks for the video, really enjoyed it!
As for the pedals: The MP11SE will get new ones, so probably they fixed that. Still courious about the price, though.

P
P
Originally Posted by vibraverse
Thanks for the video, really enjoyed it!
As for the pedals: The MP11SE will get new ones, so probably they fixed that. Still courious about the price, though.

I thought we were told the SE would be the same price as the "older" versions...?

Last edited by Pologuy; 10/20/17 12:34 PM.

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP(12), or Kawai VPC(2), or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
V
V
Originally Posted by Pologuy

I thought we were told the SE would be the same price as the "older" versions...?

Yes, that's right. But the MP11 is currently massively discounted - more than 20% from the recommended retail price. (1890€ down from 2419€)
So you almost certainly have to pay more for the MP11SE upon its release.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission