2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pologuy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Are there any virtual instrument software packages for "other sounds" like organ, sax, violin, strings, etc. - that sound great?

Trying to decide between the Kawai MP11SE and MP7SE.

I would much prefer the 11SE - if I could find a really great software package of "other sounds".

Anyone have any experience with one or ideas?

Thanks!

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP(12), or Kawai VPC(2), or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
AAS (Applied Acoustic Systems) makes a line of software instruments. They're "modelled", not sampled. I have the "electric piano" package (Lounge Lizard) and think it's very good. There's tremendous freedom in shaping the sound.

They are having a sale on some of their products which I _haven't_ tried. I think you can download and run them for a while, without paying anything.

www.applied-acoustics.com

A problem for any software that simulates an acoustic instrument:

. . . A player can "warp" the sound (or "color" the sound) of an acoustic instrument,
. . . in ways that can't easily be carried on a MIDI channel.

I know there are sampled instrument packages available -- some are quite costly. The ultimate along that line is "Hauptwerk", which is a classical (not drawbar) organ package, with huge sample libraries.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
AAS (Applied Acoustic Systems) makes a line of software instruments. They're "modelled", not sampled. I have the "electric piano" package (Lounge Lizard) and think it's very good. There's tremendous freedom in shaping the sound.

They are having a sale on some of their products which I _haven't_ tried. I think you can download and run them for a while, without paying anything.

www.applied-acoustics.com

A problem for any software that simulates an acoustic instrument:

. . . A player can "warp" the sound (or "color" the sound) of an acoustic instrument,
. . . in ways that can't easily be carried on a MIDI channel.

I know there are sampled instrument packages available -- some are quite costly. The ultimate along that line is "Hauptwerk", which is a classical (not drawbar) organ package, with huge sample libraries.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
UNA CORDA faithfully captures the special sound signature of a custom-made contemporary piano with one string per key – originally created by David Klavins in close collaboration with composer Nils Frahm. Learn more: http://native-instruments.com/unacorda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8rs_AMHZ0

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/native-instruments-una-corda

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pologuy
Are there any virtual instrument software packages for "other sounds" like organ, sax, violin, strings, etc. - that sound great?

Trying to decide between the Kawai MP11SE and MP7SE.

I would much prefer the 11SE - if I could find a really great software package of "other sounds"

There are few sounds in any keyboard--including piano--that can't be bettered with software, especially if you're talking about sampled instruments. Kontakt from Native Instruments is one of the popular high end choices, but there are lots of others. For organ in particular, look at VB3 from GSI or maybe B5 from Acoustic Samples.

For strings (virtual instruments) you'd have several choices with prices ranging from the < $500 to even over $1000. The following are just a few of these "strings-centered" virtual instruments:

1. Native Instruments: Strings products
2. SpitFire Symphonic Strings
3. Vienna Symphonic Strings

Or you can always opt for orchestral symphonic virtual instrument products if you want to have more instruments than just strings:

1. Miroslav Philharmonik 2
2. ProjectSAM Symphobia
3. EastWest Symphonic Orchestra

Unlike the usual orchestral/string patches that come with most keyboards, you'd probably be able to appreciate more detail from each of the virtual instrument and have more articulations at your disposal.

Of the products listed above, I currently own/use EastWest Symphonic Orchestra (Gold) and Hollywood Brass and Strings (Diamond). Been using these for the past couple of years. It becomes a little difficult to go back to using ROMPLER sounds after being exposed to these virtual instruments as there's night and day difference between using built-in sounds/patches of a keyboard vs. virtual instruments (sampled).

For the orchestral virtual instruments, depending on the version that you buy (e.g. EastWest has "Silver", "Gold" Platinum" and/or "Diamond") you either get less or more articulations, less or more microphone placements and a higher bit-rate quality of sampled instrument sound (24-bit).

The total cost may reach more than a thousand bucks depending on what product you get (add to that the cost of the appropriate PC or laptop and audio interface to be used that can run the virtual instruments without problems).

Or you can possibly consider Roland's INTEGRA 7 sound module too...this is not limited to acoustic/orchestral instruments but has other instrument patches/sounds as well...

There are other products of course and you can search them out later...

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You can get a good idea if you like the Native Instruments route by getting Kontakt Player as a free download
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-5-player/

Then download the free Factory Selection (same link), which contains 50 instruments as a taster for their Komplete bundles - hundreds of instruments and production effects, starting at $200 hundred dollars.

As for the 'best' instrument, apart from pianos and keyboards. I've been impressed with the trumpet from Sample Modelling.
https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php

It's more costly, at about $240 for the trumpet and $387 for the saxophones.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
T
T
For organ, the top two I read about are Acoustic Samples' B-5 V2 and GG Audio's new Blue 3:

https://www.acousticsamples.net/B5
http://gg-audio.com

For other instruments, I think it depends a lot on if you want orchestral sounds, jazzy sounds, ambient sounds, etc. Some packages are intended for scoring an orchestra, some for providing a soundtrack to films, etc. It's all out there. For keyboard sounds, Spectrasonics' Keyscape gets rave reviews, but those sounds will be mostly covered by the MP11SE. Native Instruments' Komplete libraries cover a lot of ground, as does Spectrasonics' Omnisphere. Arturia has a big selection of keyboard and synth-related instruments. For any sound you need to use, 30 minutes of internet searching and reading will find you the top few software VSTs.

C
C
I’ve been very happy with Galileo Organ for B3 sounds, available on ITunes. I run it on an iPad Mini, park it on top of my CP4 and midi to it.

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The Roland Integra-7 has many great sounds!

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-integra-7

http://www.proaudiostar.com/roland-integra-7-supernatural-sound-module.html

Quotes from Sweetwater reviews:

Amazing Sound from the Roland Integra 7

The SuperNatural sounds of the Roland Integra 7 are just brilliant and are extremely realistic. I feel they are actually better than some of the best sampled software synthesizers. Being a module means I don't have to buy *another* bulky keyboard taking up space. The Roland Integra 7 meets all my needs and some. I would heartily recommend this unit to musicians, composers, teachers and even beginners. You can make great sounds on any instrument imaginable with just the addition of a computer or keyboard. Buy it, you will be amazed.

I am literally in awe of this product. There are just endless sounds and so easy to access.

This thing is Bad To The Bone....Wonderful.....I can't believe the instrument sounds that are coming out of it and it is so user friendly.. I am assigning the sounds to my midi songs in Cakewalk Sonar and it is like the band in right in my studio...worth every penny I paid for it and I highly recommend it to anyone and the pre-loaded thumb drive is a great idea....it's all there on the thumb drive so no need for the bulky hard copy manuals unless you just want to print one out...

I WILL NEVER SELL MY INTEGRA 7!

Anytime roland evolves it evolves into more clarity.

This sounds awesome and the ability to control with my iPad and realtime mix and modify stuff is so cool. The sounds are a must.
The box is a must! just add it to your rack. It will be the box that starts taking over your rack. "Oh, that sounds crappy...Lets use the harp or piano on the Integra!" before you know it you will be buying another box and selling something older.

This box can seem overwhelming at first but if you stick to it you can do amazing things. Sounds and effects really sit in mix perfect. Saving your Multi setups with all your Midi setups to match your Cubase or MOTU DP seq templates is to perfect. It has about every sound you want.
Cant go wrong. Just buy this and get it over with. Then it will spread like cancer and you will want another box.

See the problem is not weather you like this unit as it is a fact you will love it. It is how can I afford two? Why can't Roland make a box with 256 Polyphony and allow me to load ALL of Roland's snd banks at the same time. Ha Like I will part with mine!!
Oh..dont forget the WiFi usb. Mine did not come with one. You will need to buy this in order to use your iPad wireless or iPhone wireless and the IOS cool Roland app. A MUST have!

Roland did a awesome job. People are buying more Virtual instruments plugins. If companies like Roland and Kurzweil can add polyphony to 256 or 512 and allow more of there existing libraries to load..well the units would fall off the shelfs. Computers are maxed, and lagging. You can't open all your virtual libraries and effects that you need anymore do to lack of CPU. It is a opportunity for Roland, Yamaha, and Kurzweil to breakout with some 256-512 polyphony and large sound sets. We all need our CPU back.
Let the CPU on my Mac be used for Sequence and Special VST effects. HELP Roland! Kurzweil! anyone?
Musicians world wide are suffering from slow computers and VST saturation. Bring back the Rack units that use midi or usb or wireless!

This is simply one of the best sound modules that gives you access to a VAST library of sounds. I often find that the default effects on each sound to be optimal and rarely have to add any additional effects. The front panel is well thought out and navigation is easy. It is effortless to find the sound I'm looking for with the Tone Finder function and the audition function, accessed by pressing the volume button, auditions each part with a musical phrase that is customized to the specific part. Genius! This unit has more functionality than I can possibly go into in a short review and I have yet to explore all its capabilities. This is definitely a professional piece of gear. Definitely buy it--you won't be disappointed!

I'm so glad that I finally went ahead and bought the Integra-7. It sounds great on its own as well as in combination with my other gear. If you know how to get your controller or DAW to send MIDI CC messages, Roland's documentation makes it easy to get up to speed and get the most of it from the start.

The entire roland history in one unit plus the additional supernatural sounds are enticing enough to take the plunge. The interface is super intuitive. Large LED panel makes it easy to navigate through this device even without the wifi iPad app. Ease of use is a great plus when dealing with rack synths. Using its onboard effects as time based DSP processing for pass thru audio for my other instruments. Thanks to sweetwater I get the latest OS pre installed as well

A very vast and comprehensive top quality library of sounds and invaluable addition to any studio. Indeed, this module carries the last 30 years of Roland's sounds. Some could be deemed as dates, but well worth it and better sounding at 24bit/96Khz. Plenty polyphony for multi-channel operation, and pro on board effects free up CPU resources from any DAW setup. All of the videos and ads seen on Roland and review websites are a true representation of what you get. Fantastic purchase and top notch customer service from Sweetwater, would recommend product and retailer to anyone.

The Roland INTEGRA 7 has a extremely large selection of excellent sounds that would satisfy almost any kind of music genre project. For the kind of music that I make it has given me excellent drums and synth layers. I also downloaded the free "Euro Attack Synth" sound library from Roland's AXIAL website which includes some gritty electro sounds and the best analog kick drum I've heard in a long time.

The one thing I noticed right away was how realistic the piano sounds are. The full Grand piano sounds like a real full grand piano. Also, I'm amazed at how the violin and string sounds are so close to the real instruments.

This Module is amazing! Over 6000 sounds in this thing. So many Roland sounds you know and love. All the SRX cards too. Also all the sounds from the Jupiter 80 plus 50 more super natural tones. Also you can use your Ipad wirelessly to control the Integra 7!If you are a Roland user and have been for years like myself then this is a perfect synth module for you. Has 128 polyphony , maybe could be mire. 256 would have been great. Also a VST AU plug in for the Integra 7 would be awesome. Hopefully they will have one soon. Overall I highly recommend this synth. You will Love it!

great sounds, unique 5.1 surround that I've not explored yet, and 6,000+ sounds! I'm just learning all the unit's features but it is a great expansion sound module that I plan to use in my keyboard setup. I love the SuperNatural sounds!

well I've been using the integra and i have to admit, i reach for it a lot more often than software these days. the sound is SO CRISP AND IN YOUR FACE it just leaves most plugins in the dust. they are selling these for 1400....some places have them on sales for lower if you watch. it is worth every penny. plugins are so cheap. yes. but if you buy a new computer ......headaches. i have lists of songs I've created over the last 5 years and sometimes i load them and "wheres my sounds?". not so with the integra. time will be the ultimate test. how much more fidelity can they bring to a unit without wiring it directly to your brain. this unit will be in use for a long long time. i have read that the sounds are not inspiring or modern....well you know, if you can't get something out of this box then you don't need to be making music in the first place. the integra 7 is an endless source of sound. and its always there, ready to go. no mousing. finding sounds is so easy. that is why i depend on it more than my KOMPLETE LIBRARY> its fast and easy. not to knock native instruments by any means. awesome. but its nice to have a hardware unit to TOUCH. and selecting sounds is a few quick button pushes. and also, it doesn't tax your computers resources which would be best applied to Audio, Compression, EQ etc etc etc. GET THE INTEGRA

Amazing sound module. Just scored a film trailer with it. Thousands of sounds, great functionality and flexibility. Detailed menus and readable screen display. Easily integrated with my daw and all my other midi gear and devices. A little different at first that is not laid out in banks and patches, rather studio sets. But, after using a short time it's a great concept, and naturally everything is categorized for easy navigation. The Ipad editor is a must since there is so much inside this box. I would like to point out that I was hesitant about the fact that the rear usb port can accommodate either pc or Ipad connection, and not both at once. There is a usb port on the front which allows wireless Ipad connection but, I'm not a fan of using wireless and haven't tried that out yet. Then I realized, why not just connect Ipad via the midi din jacks. Works perfectly! Even the Roland techs insisted you can only connect Ipad via usb, wrong. My only complaint was that the other editor that's offered as a plug-in is VST3, which is not supported in my version of Sonar.

In an age of very fast computer power and enormous ram and solid state hard drives and amazing soft synth plugins what possible advantage could a rack synth like the integra provide? Well AS IT TURNS OUT PLENTY. Need a new computer? Need to update your software? No problem, the integra is still plugging right along! And when the creative juices are flowing nothing kills it like endless mouse clicking menu diving in software synths while on the other hand the integra is laid out in such a way as to Make finding the right sounds much much faster. It's truly worth the Rediculously low prices they are being offered. Do not listen to those who dismiss this huge resource. Hardware is also not so easy to download and Crack!

This is a sort of a trade off between unlimited adjustments and massive sound library. Own a kronos x so between the two this is different. Like that can spend the time layering endless tones for massive sounds over near endless kronos adjustments. The sonic quality is extremely excellent. The samples air all over the map from airy to dreary! This is still a very deep instrument with a lot of adjustment still to be had. Run it off a cme 88 board and the velocity and aftertouch is near perfect.

The SuperNatural tones in this thing are amazing. The acoustic instruments are particularly convincing, thanks to the fact that they aren't simply samples. If you need to add convincing acoustic instruments like strings, woodwinds, brass, or guitars... you shouldn't need to look elsewhere (except maybe the Jupiter-50 and -80 synths which are related to this rack unit).

The motion sound is cool, if you're producing for 5.1 then this really makes it simple to deal with the sound field. But for me I only use it to create a cool soundscape for our band's intro, and for positioning some SFX for a Pink Floyd cover.

Roland's marketing of their latest products has baffled me as they seem to have missed their target market. This is seriously a great piece of kit for the gigging performer who doesn't want their acoustic tones to sound like digital keyboards. You need to add a harmonica in one song? or a cello? or that sweet flute solo in that outro? You won't find any other hardware device capable of such convincing tones as this guy is, thanks to the behavioral modeling that adds essential nuances to the tones when played. The piano tones are excellent, as are the EPs. I can't speak to the organs as I use my SK-1 for organs. This replaced a Yamaha Motif XS and a Korg Krome; it's definitely a big step up from both.

I thought I'd never buy a sound module again, but I gave in and picked this item up. It's basically got every Roland preset and sound library over the past 30 years. All the SRX cards and the same synth engine as the Jupiter-80. Another way of thinking about it is a rack-mount Jupiter 80 Plus a bonus of all the SRX cards. (well, and half the polyphony of a JP-80...)

The sound quality is astonishing. Roland has a knack of having amazing presets and having this collection is super awesome.

Roland has rocked the synth/keyboard world over and over again with their many innovations, from the original analog Jupiter to the digital D-50, from the JV-1080 (and all of its expansion cards) to the recent Jupiter-80 -- not to mention their incredible digital pianos. And let's not forget their industry-leading electronic drum kits. Imagine how cool it would be to have the full range of Roland's synth, drum, and keyboard sounds in your studio or live rig.

The all-new Integra-7. The Integra-7 is a 2-space rack module that is a virtual library of all things Roland, with a stupefying selection of 6,000 onboard sounds. Need TR-808 or TR-909 sounds? In there. A gorgeous grand piano or an electric piano? In there. Vintage and modern analog and digital synths? In there. Orchestra strings? Ethnic instruments? Guitars? Brass? Acoustic drums? Special effects? Yep, all in there!

It's hard not to rave about the Integra-7. The power of this synth borders on the ludicrous. If you can have only one synth to cover all your sonic needs, this is it. If you're looking to expand your palette, this is it. If you love creating sounds and textures, this is it. If you love acoustic instruments, this is it. The list goes on and on, but so does the capability of the Integra-7. Sorry, Roland, I won't be returning the review unit. It's staying right here with me!

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission