Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
102 registered members (alfredo capurso, anotherscott, accordeur, ando, AndyE, 29 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2683107 - 10/18/17 10:22 AM keyboard latency (not the piano kind)  
David Farley Online content
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
This article is actually about computer gaming keyboard latency. But since latency is a perennial favorite topic here and this article goes into great detail, I thought people here might find it interesting.

http://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

Last edited by David Farley; 10/18/17 10:22 AM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2683685 - Yesterday at 06:09 PM Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
Interesting study! If you think about the super precision and high resolution of today's games, and the highly tuned, highly priced rigs that serious gamers have. And then recall the computer games of the 1980s. Pac-Man, wasn't it?

Then read this:

I had this feeling that some old computers feel much more responsive than modern machines. For example, an iMac G4 running macOS 9 or an Apple 2 both feel quicker than my 4.2 GHz Kaby Lake system. I never trust feelings like this because there’s decades of research showing that users often have feelings that are the literal opposite of reality, so got a high-speed camera and started measuring actual keypress-to-screen-update latency as well as mouse-move-to-screen-update latency. It turns out the machines that feel quick are actually quick, much quicker than my modern computer – computers from the 70s and 80s commonly have keypress-to-screen-update latencies in the 30ms to 50ms range out of the box, whereas modern computers are often in the 100ms to 200ms range

....and this:

at the time I did these measurements, my 4.2 GHz kaby lake had the fastest single-threaded performance of any machine you could buy but had worse latency than a quick machine from the 70s (roughly 6x worse than an Apple 2), which seems a bit curious.

Curious is the word. Bonkers might be even better. LOL!!!

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / NI K9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Yamaha HS7s / HD598

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck
#2683694 - Yesterday at 06:41 PM Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
JohnSprung Offline
4000 Post Club Member
JohnSprung  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Reseda, California

Bottom line, software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
#2683706 - Yesterday at 07:46 PM Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Yup.

When Apple moved from OS 9 to OS X, they were shipping machines that could boot into either OS. They were much faster when booted into 9 ("classic"). Years earlier, there was a big change from System 6 to System 7, and again, there were machines that could boot into either, and they were much faster when booting into 6. And even among recent machines, people often find that their systems are quicker if they don't update them too far away from the version of the OS they shipped with,

Some reasons for at least the earlier big shifts: Programmers moved away from low level tight efficient code (like assembly) to high level languages that are increasingly inefficient but allow the programming to be done more quickly. The trade-off means that the programs run more slowly. Also, everything used to run out of RAM, and hey moved toward constant swapping in and out of storage (luckily much faster with SSD than it was with hard drives). Programs were now not limited by RAM, but they ran more slowly. And the operating systems used to do one thing at a time, now they're always multi-tasking, often doing things in the background that you'd like to shut off, but can't!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2683776 - 4 hours ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
Anyway, it does help to put in perspective the problem of latency for musicians working with computers. Our saving grace being the invention of ASIO and the well designed proprietary drivers of that class. Without them, we'd be in the unenviable place of the gamers and their terrible systems with hundreds of millisecond keyboard latency.

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
#2683797 - 2 hours ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
The Apple 2 was the computer from the 1970s referred to above. This home computer ran with a processor running at ONE mega hertz. The present day comparison is an 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHz.

That's like having 8 processors running at over 4 thousand times faster than the old Apple 2. And yet this new super computer reacts six times more slowly than the prehistoric Apple 2. What ever the excuses for this state of affairs, they'd better be good. Seems like a sense of proportion (or indeed sanity) has got lost somewhere on the way.

#2683811 - 1 hour ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
I'm not sure I trust the claims that the Apple 2 was so much faster.
Also ...
1. Keep in mind that any device interfacing to the Apple 2 (or any small computer of that era) did so through a dedicated proprietary interface.
2. And one interface served only one device. No port sharing.
3. And at the software level the drivers were trivially simple back then, partly because of 1 and 2, above.
All of this conspires to make response fairly quick.

#2683823 - 56 minutes ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
Frédéric L Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

France
I did remember when the audio card embedded a 4 Osc. FM generator. Since the sound generation were decoupled from the CPU, notes could sent as soon as they where received with low latency. The FM generator can’t produce drop outs by design.

Now, we get rid of dedicated sound generators (FM, square waves...). Instead, the sound is produced by the CPU with a complex CPU - Soundcard interface, 1 interrupt per streamed buffer (we have to use big enough buffers to reduce to flow of interrupts), and a complex software architecture : interrupts generate Deferred Procedure Calls, which when called awake the DAW or the virtual piano...

We can make it more straitforward and produce the sound in the kernel (with privileged right and more risk of blue screen). This has been made by the Yamaha XYG50 virtual instrument if I recall.

Nowadays, when Yamaha want to make a low latency hardware synthesizer, they make a dedicated DSP(the SWP70), whose the clock is alligned (with a multiplicated factor) to the sample rate. Like the old audiocard, but with a more powerful chip dedicated to produce the sound.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 53 minutes ago.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
#2683832 - 34 minutes ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: MacMacMac]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I'm not sure I trust the claims that the Apple 2 was so much faster.
Also ...
1. Keep in mind that any device interfacing to the Apple 2 (or any small computer of that era) did so through a dedicated proprietary interface.
2. And one interface served only one device. No port sharing.
3. And at the software level the drivers were trivially simple back then, partly because of 1 and 2, above.
All of this conspires to make response fairly quick.

Yes sure, these are all good reasons why early micro computers were fit to be efficient. Even so, the speed difference of processing is now over two orders of magnitude greater than it was then......like the difference between a model T Ford and a brand new BMW series 7, ( except 100s of times bigger if measured by horsepower). The computer refined for gaming is supposed to be the racehorse of computers. The gamer perfects his responses much like a sports person or musician. The fact the keyboard latency is still in the same ball park (let alone arguably 6 times slower) as machines from the 1970s is baffling to me.

Just another of the modern madnesses.

#2683834 - 25 minutes ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

With seemingly near infinite resources, there's no great value placed on efficiency these days. Similarly, when the Mac came out in 1984, the entire operating system plus a word processing program and a painting program fit on a 400k floppy disk. (Okay, there were also 64k worth of OS code built into the computer's ROM.) The Lisa had a 5 megabyte hard drive, which seemed huge. (It also cost $2k.)

#2683836 - 17 minutes ago Re: keyboard latency (not the piano kind) [Re: David Farley]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
True, there's no value placed on efficiency because of almost endless, powerful resources. And for the most part, it's reasonable (though maybe regrettable) that those resources are squandered. However, sometimes it does lead to absurdities and big practical problems. This looks like just such a case.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much should I sell my Kawai CA67 for?
by AndyE. 10/21/17 11:09 AM
What is cocktail music?
by pianoloverus. 10/21/17 08:44 AM
Yamaha DGX 660 vs Casio PX 560
by VMK. 10/21/17 06:54 AM
Can I Run Roland RD700nx Through Stereo Speakers?
by ClsscLib. 10/20/17 09:19 PM
Improve your sight reading series
by Scottswald. 10/20/17 06:34 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,409
Posts2,666,174
Members89,015
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission