2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Hi all,
I have an adult (male) student who has wide fingers. When he plays chords that require extending fingers 2, 3 or 4 onto white keys between two black keys, it's a problem for him. His fingers nudge the adjacent black keys down, which of course is undesirable. Neither of us see any solution other than curling his fingers under to stay away from the black keys. (Playing near the tips of the white keys doesn't help, since his fingers are a bit long and still need to curl to avoid the problem.)

I've never encountered this before, but it doesn't seem like a very unusual possibility. Does anyone have better solutions to help him play chords more easily/properly?

Thanks!

PhD (musicology), ARCT, Circus Gal.
Yamaha C7, Fender Rhodes Stage Mark II, Nord Piano 2, and all that jazz.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Men with wide fingers have to adduct the wrists in order to press white keys between black. (Rotate right hand clockwise, left hand counter clockwise.) With practice it soon becomes habitual.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

In some cases you can get by with that twisting of the wrist and playing with the outboard sides of the fingers. In my case it only works a little, and for the most part, I just have to do things like going to C7/E or C7/G instead of C7, because my L2 won't fit between Gb and G#. Or just drop the 5 from the chord.

Try to re-finger, if that doesn't work, re-arrange. Don't expect to be able to do exactly what someone else with better hands can do.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The only real solution is to omit some notes. If you can't reasonably re-distribute the notes between hands, then it's time to drop notes.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'd avoid twisting unless playing easy chord pieces.

There may be some pieces that will work fine, avoiding certain key signatures and certain types of pieces can help. Also, not every piano has the same spacing. A little bit of search could help him find a piano known for a wider spacing - even a millimeter or two can make a huge difference.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
Men with wide fingers have to adduct the wrists in order to press white keys between black. (Rotate right hand clockwise, left hand counter clockwise.) With practice it soon becomes habitual.

Just a point of usage in English : 'adduct' is an unknown word outside medical usage. More normal words would be 'slant' or 'twist'. My fingers are quite slim, and I still occasionally catch a black note when playing a white note between them.

I think that the key widths became standardised when people had smaller hands than today. I once tried playing a piano-accordian, and found it nearly impossible as the keys were even narrower. My muscle memory of where notes should be was completely different, and it was one of the more frustrating moments in life !

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
My father tried a few piano lessons when I was starting out. But his fingers were too broad and I think that wrists would have been that flexible either. He soon gave up. If your pupil is keen enough and willing to experiment he may be able to achieve something.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Fareham
Just a point of usage in English : 'adduct' is an unknown word outside medical usage. More normal words would be 'slant' or 'twist'.

Yes, thank you for correction. I just wanted to be precise, not to let anybody confuse twisting of the hand and twisting of the forearm.

I think that the key widths became standardised when people had smaller hands than today.

I totally agree. That concerns grand's height too. I have to move apart my knees sitting at a grand till I was 12 or 13.

My fingers are quite slim, and I still occasionally catch a black note when playing a white note between them.

Everyone does. My fingers are not slim, and I guess I catch black notes more often than you do. For men it's really better to play outside spaces between black keys where possible. But I highly recommend against dropping off notes, I think it is the worst idea.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
If your pupil is keen enough and willing to experiment he may be able to achieve something.

Achieve something! There are many virtuoso pianists with thick fingers. Everything is achievable with technique adjustment.

I can tell you that the guy who is now considered the best entertaining pianist in Russia is huge! His hands are so large and fingers are so thick, that I was shocked when I first saw them live. Nevertheless he plays everything and does it brilliantly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Every hand is different which is why it is important to get both the fingering and the hand and wrist movements sorted out. Easier for some than others but what works for one person won't work for another. I still have a piece of music from 60 years ago where my piano teacher had marked fingering involving 'twisting' the 4th and 5th fingers 'over' each other, despite the written fingering being different and for me 'correct'. Obviously worked for him but impossible for me even though I was much younger than him. Hopefully piano teachers nowadays listen to their pupils and look at their hands to see what is or isn't possible!

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK

Just a point of usage in English : 'adduct' is an unknown word outside medical usage. More normal words would be 'slant' or 'twist'. My fingers are quite slim, and I still occasionally catch a black note when playing a white note between them.

I've seen it used frequently in sports related things, yoga, posture training, and also frequently in music when it comes to physical movement. The four I've seen the most often in music (incl. piano) are adduct, abduct, pronate, supinate. I'd feel uncomfortable about "twist" as there is twisting which is bad. Of course words are a problem, period. It is better to see, to demonstrate or have demonstrated, and even to have a teacher touch the hand at times to guide.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
But I highly recommend against dropping off notes, I think it is the worst idea.

You'd rather twist and turn the hands to fit all the notes??? You're asking for an injury. Even when you curl the fingers inwardly to play on the white keys, it could potentially lead to an injury if done repeatedly.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
But I highly recommend against dropping off notes, I think it is the worst idea.

You'd rather twist and turn the hands to fit all the notes??? You're asking for an injury. Even when you curl the fingers inwardly to play on the white keys, it could potentially lead to an injury if done repeatedly.

The wrist is naturally adducted every time a pianist has to play wide chord with thumb on black key. I'm not talking about some weird rare movement, I'm talking about very simple thing. A person with thick fingers simply should play every chord in that hand position, like he is going to play wide chord with thumb on black key. With practice it becomes a second nature.

The point is that a finger is not round, it's always thinner on the side, and the fingertip on the side is even more thin.

On the other hand, when you tell someone with thick fingers to miss notes it's like telling, "yes, you can play, but you will forever be second-grade pianist." I think it's very discouraging. And there is really no reason to do it.

Last edited by Iaroslav Vasiliev; 10/19/17 02:36 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
On the other hand, when you tell someone with thick fingers to miss notes it's like telling, "yes, you can play, but you will forever be second-grade pianist." I think it's very discouraging. And there is really no reason to do it.

We clearly have very different values. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping a note or two, if the player's physique necessitates it. The same could be said about people with small hands--I'm certainly not going to force them to play all the notes in a big chord. There are times when the player's physical limitations will play a major role in the repertoire being chosen.

If your wrist twists whenever you play a large chord with the thumb on a black key, then you and I have very different ways of playing piano. I'll leave it at that.

W
OP Offline
W
OP here. Obviously, there's disagreement about which adjustments are recommended, but I thought it might be helpful to list what the various recommendations are.

Recommendations for Chordal Playing with Broad Fingers (NOT in any recommended order):

1. Move laterally (try adducting or abducting from the thumb), so that fingers are placed slightly “sideways” on the keys. Risk of injury may be minimized by moving the elbow laterally and keeping the wrist in alignment.
2. Prepare the notes: set the finger in position before playing, for precise placement.
3. Forward momentum: aim for a forward push rather than (only) a downward strike. The finger moves down at an angle, so that horizontal (forward) movement balances the downward movement.
4. Use alternate fingerings: finger 3 is rarely used between black keys. Ex., use 1-2-4 to play Eb major in root position and D major in 1st inversion.
5. Keep a high arch in the hand, so that white keys are struck with the tips rather than pads of fingers.
6. As a last resort, omit some chord notes.

Clearly, many great pianists have large hands - perhaps the majority of earlier jazz pianists! Trial and error, perhaps.

PhD (musicology), ARCT, Circus Gal.
Yamaha C7, Fender Rhodes Stage Mark II, Nord Piano 2, and all that jazz.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Then there is this...The 4 fingered pianist. A video I show all my students who might feel limited because of hand size, a missing finger, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=2FSnalrPYpc

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
... it's like telling, "yes, you can play, but you will forever be second-grade pianist."

That's me. And it hasn't stopped me. I just arrange and finger things to fit my limitations.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
M
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
... it's like telling, "yes, you can play, but you will forever be second-grade pianist."

That's me. And it hasn't stopped me. I just arrange and finger things to fit my limitations.

Exactly. All that any of us can do is the best with what we've been given. If that means adjusting the score to suit, then so be it. I've made arrangements for my students who have small hands or other limitations. Why the heck not? If someone refuses to listen to your playing because you dropped a note in a chord, then they probably miss out on a lot of enjoyable things in life. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
When I was young I thought that playing the same piece over and over again was boring. Now I find that every time I play a piece it is different. It's all about interpretation and rearranging notes/chords so that one can play the piece should, if done properly, in no way diminish the end result. Unless you are a Chopin listening to Listz playing your pieces - though there might have been a bit of jealousy there.

Incidentally, listening and watching the 4 finger pianist got me to thinking that sometimes the other fingers get in the way.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission