Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Hand Crafted Key Holder
Made From Real Piano Keys
By our resident crafter Kathy, right here at Piano World headquarters in Maine.

Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
110 registered members (Andrewski, ando, amad23, 7uturu, 23 invisible), 737 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2681389
10/11/17 06:50 PM
10/11/17 06:50 PM
Y
yellowsubroutine Offline
yellowsubroutine  Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Kawai James
A quick heads up to inform the thread that my friends at Kawai Europe have recorded and uploaded a selection of demos using the new SK-EX Rendering sound engine (aka 'Pianist Mode'):
https://www.kawai.de/products/digitalpianos/caserie/ca98/
x

Wow, that's definitely a true improvement - to my ears, anyway. The lower registers sound fuller and more realistic to me, and just generally more pleasing. You can tell Kawai is really ready stand behind this because the pieces they chose to record have a lot more slower and sustained notes, with room for the resonance to come through. Congrats to the Kawai engineers. I look forward to trying out the actual physical pianos and seeing how much of that resonance comes through on the piano speakers.

Last edited by yellowsubroutine; 10/11/17 07:24 PM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: jfl] #2681390
10/11/17 07:00 PM
10/11/17 07:00 PM
Y
yellowsubroutine Offline
yellowsubroutine  Offline
Y
Originally Posted by jfl
Can anyone who plays one regularly comment specifically on their experiences with the wooden soundboard on the CA-97 (and now CA-98)? It seems like the design is intended to render a more organic sound though I'd think the clarity of a well designed audio amplification and speaker system matched with sampling/modeling software would surpass a wooden soundboard on a digital piano. I'm planning to purchase a high-end DP within the next few months, and although I'm looking at models with acoustic piano actions, I'm intrigued by the concept of a wooden soundboard. In my case the back side of the piano will be against the side of an upholstered couch so not sure if there are any advantages of having sound pushed out the back.

I just got the opportunity to play one a couple weeks ago, and it definitely makes an improvement to the sound in the lower registers, around A0 - A2. In other digital pianos, including Kawai's lower models, there's a distinct artificiality I often hear in these low notes, especially played hard, or with the piano turned up to a louder volume (played through the piano speakers, not headphones). It's actually what I like least about digital pianos, that and how much a digital piano starts to fall behind in sound quality when you play pieces with a lot of chords or sustained notes where you really start to hear the lack of resonance in the digital piano.

I'd definitely say that the CA97 sounds the best out of any digital pianos I've tried so far, including Roland, Nord, etc. I haven't had a chance to try the very highest end Yamaha models yet though.

Last edited by yellowsubroutine; 10/11/17 07:28 PM.
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: lolatu] #2681407
10/11/17 08:23 PM
10/11/17 08:23 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by lolatu
New interface also looks a lot easier to use than the old one. Would it be correct to assume this is based on Android?

That's a tricky one to answer...

Originally Posted by lolatu
Incidentally, why are the menu titles in English on the Japanese version? Can all Japanese people read and understand English? Why localize the options but not the titles? Not a criticism; I'm just interested to know.

It's not uncommon to see English titles used on Japanese websites and in some UIs, perhaps the notion is that English words have a "stylish" appearance? I'm obviously not Japanese, however it's my understanding that most Japanese people can read and interpret English words to a greater or lesser extent. Moreover, the function of each button and screen is clearly explained in the owner's manual, so I expect the designers or the CA's UI (who are obviously Japanese) felt there would be no problem using English words in certain areas.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2681501
10/12/17 10:11 AM
10/12/17 10:11 AM
UK
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lolatu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
UK
Thanks for the replay James. I will interpret the non-denial as a "yes". wink

It would be pretty amazing if there were an API - then people could create and share music and settings via their own apps over the internet... backing tracks to play along with, libraries of jazz tunes to play in the background for a soiree... a particularly realistic virtual technician configuration... the possibilities are endless! Great to see Kawai at the cutting edge of user interfaces, but it can go even further if you allow a whole world of users to use their creativity and time/effort to improve it further. I might even write one myself.

Basically if it's on Android then there must already be an API, it would pretty much just be a case of making it public and providing a way to connect an external device.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2681746
10/13/17 07:39 AM
10/13/17 07:39 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Two new demos for the 'Classic' and 'Romantic' tonal characters have been uploaded to Kawai Europe's website:

Classic: Rachmaninov, Etude Tableaux op.39 no.1
Romantic. Enrique Granados, Los Requiebros

These pieces were performed by Viviana Lasaracina.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2681790
10/13/17 10:04 AM
10/13/17 10:04 AM
Europe
A
arc_turus Offline
arc_turus  Offline
A
Europe
Thank you James! The new engine sounds really great!

One question: I am aware the MIDI player and recorder is not available in pianist mode - and I do understand a number of perfectly valid technical reasons behind that decision. But does this mean that the demos that we are hearing in pianist mode are always played live and recorded to wav/mp3? Or is there any way to actually render/play a proper SMF/MIDI or KSO file in pianist mode?

Another question: is the rosewood finish on the new models darker than in previous models? Or is it just the photos?

Many thanks!

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: arc_turus] #2681801
10/13/17 10:47 AM
10/13/17 10:47 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello arc_turus,

Originally Posted by arc_turus
The new engine sounds really great!

wink

One question: I am aware the MIDI player and recorder is not available in pianist mode - and I do understand a number of perfectly valid technical reasons behind that decision. But does this mean that the demos that we are hearing in pianist mode are always played live and recorded to wav/mp3? Or is there any way to actually render/play a proper SMF/MIDI or KSO file in pianist mode?

Yes, the Pianist mode demos that you hear were all recorded live using the built-in USB audio recorder (WAV format). Currently there it is not possible to load an SMF or KSO file and play it back in Pianist mode - the player will automatically switch to Sound mode).

Another question: is the rosewood finish on the new models darker than in previous models? Or is it just the photos?

The CAx8 finishes are identical to the CAx8 finishes. However, we obviously shot photography for the two generations at different times, and unfortunately it's not always possible to get a perfect colour match in the images (although every effort is tried).

May I ask if you are comparing the product images on the Kawai Global site:

http://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca98/
http://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca97/

The location images will have a different colour tone, due to the different room and natural lighting, however the main product images (revealed by clicking the 'Gallery' button in the white information box) should match.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2681823
10/13/17 12:27 PM
10/13/17 12:27 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Here is a video of the CAx8 announcement/launch event at Kawai’s Omotesando store in Tokyo.

https://youtu.be/lQ20PA1mpOE

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2681827
10/13/17 12:44 PM
10/13/17 12:44 PM
R
R111 Offline
R111  Offline
R
Here is a video of the CAx8 announcement/launch event at Kawai’s Omotesando store in Tokyo.

Watching the video at .25 speed, the key bounce is pretty noticeable. Other videos show the same thing for these models.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: R111] #2681881
10/13/17 04:47 PM
10/13/17 04:47 PM
J
jokke Offline
jokke  Offline
J
Originally Posted by R111
]
Watching the video at .25 speed, the key bounce is pretty noticeable. Other videos show the same thing for these models.

I'm not certain that watching anything at 4x slow motion and estimating how the thing feels based on the slomo video is a good idea. smile Will your ears hear or fingers feel how something looks bouncy when slowed down? Or maybe you meant the springiness as a positive?

Have you had experience that slow motion bounciness is adversely correlated with keyboard feel? Without context, the statement sounded bit like "the Nike stripe on the sneaker looks rough on the edge when viewing the runner at 400 % enlargement". grin

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: R111] #2681896
10/13/17 05:27 PM
10/13/17 05:27 PM
Europe
A
arc_turus Offline
arc_turus  Offline
A
Europe

Yes, but the new CA98/78 models are supposed to use the same GFII action that has been used in the CA97/67 and CS11/8 models. And GFII is not so different from GF used in many other older models, including the MP11. So, I expect the action on the new models to behave the same way as in the previous models, with all the good and bad things that come with it...

You can also observe the behaviour of the Kawai actions in other videos, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3LNH2Zz_DU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-i8VbHylI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRKWy6j2Cg - this one compares the CA65 (with GF action) with a Yamaha acoustic grand

Cheers!

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682525
10/16/17 06:27 AM
10/16/17 06:27 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
A new demo for the 'Pop' tonal character has been uploaded to Kawai Europe's website:

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682528
10/16/17 07:00 AM
10/16/17 07:00 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sofia, Bulgaria
I applaud the fact Kawai hired such a talented classical pianist as Viviana Lasaracina to showcase the classical and romantic modes. She is a very well known name and her playing is absolutely fabulous. This is much better than recording internal demos that are just programmed MIDI files that were not even played on the same piano judging by how loud they come out, compared to even your best effort to play with the same strength. I'm not sure if the actual Playing by Viviana was recorded without editing and I hope so, but in any case it's at least a testament that a real demanding classical pianist can play the piano.

Nothing against Ingo (if that was his name) who used to do the video demos of Kawai but I've seen him demoing classical music and frankly it could have been better smile His pop/jazzy demos were very good and he seems to know very well al the features. But from my point of view (a customer one, and a classical music aficionado) Kawai pianos are meant to be appealing as ultimate acoustic piano replacement which I associate with classical music and serious solo jazz piano improvisation, so I expect to see demos made by serious classical pianists as well.

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/16/17 07:12 AM.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: CyberGene] #2682530
10/16/17 07:22 AM
10/16/17 07:22 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
UK
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I applaud the fact Kawai hired such a talented classical pianist as Viviana Lasaracina to showcase the classical and romantic modes. She is a very well known name and her playing is absolutely fabulous. This is much better than recording internal demos that are just programmed MIDI files that were not even played on the same piano judging by how loud they come out, compared to even your best effort to play with the same strength. I'm not sure if the actual Playing by Viviana was recorded without editing and I hope so, but in any case it's at least a testament that a real demanding classical pianist can play the piano.

Nothing against Ingo (if that was his name) who used to do the video demos of Kawai but I've seen him demoing classical music and frankly it could have been better smile His pop/jazzy demos were very good and he seems to know very well al the features. But from my point of view (a customer one, and a classical music aficionado) Kawai pianos are meant to be appealing as ultimate acoustic piano replacement which I associate with classical music and serious solo jazz piano improvisation, so I expect to see demos made by serious classical pianists as well.

That’s fine, but for balance I don’t agree. (ultimate acoustic piano replacement which I associate with classical music and serious solo jazz)

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682533
10/16/17 07:34 AM
10/16/17 07:34 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sofia, Bulgaria
OK, fair enough. This has been an old argument over here and I'm not saying pop music is lower standard, etc. smile I listen to pop music and won't divide music as serious and not serious (well, I used the word 'serious' in my previous post though, by which I mean piano playing that is demanding and showcases as many piano features as possible). What I imply, and it's not necessary that you agree, is that typical digital piano demos feature pop, new age and easy listening demos that won't showcase stuff like half-pedaling, resonances, long piano sustain, lyrical playing (that shows how smoothly the notes will blend, especially when played legato and/or with sustain pedal which might sound like an easy task but not all digital pianos actually posses).

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/16/17 07:38 AM.

Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682541
10/16/17 08:29 AM
10/16/17 08:29 AM
K
karvala Offline
karvala  Offline
K
Are people really hearing a big difference between the Pianist Mode and Sound Mode here? I just listened to all of the demos on the European site - both the Pianist mode demos with the different "Characters" and the Sound mode demo for the various instruments. The difference between the different Characters in Pianist is subtle but clearly apparent. The difference between the different instruments (e.g. SK-EX vs SK-5) in Sound mode is obviously huge as expected. But the difference between Pianist mode with Classic Character and Sound mode seems to be very small. I can hear, but only just, and I tried it on someone else and they couldn't tell the difference at all. I would have expected a much bigger difference. The new Pianist mode demos are also quite dry; I don't like things excessively reverbed but I think a bit would have helped bring out the differences a bit more.

I guess because they're from the same samples, they will sound very similar, but honestly, the difference between Pianist mode Characters is greater than the difference between Pianist Mode and Sound mode to me, and I wasn't expecting that given the hype. This is through headphones and via audio demos, mind you, so judgment should probably be reserved for testing the instruments in the shop, but I might lower my expectations a bit after hearing that.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: karvala] #2682558
10/16/17 11:01 AM
10/16/17 11:01 AM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Portland, OR, USA
Originally Posted by karvala
Are people really hearing a big difference between the Pianist Mode and Sound Mode here?

If I hear the Pianist vs. Sound mode in Novus NV 10's demo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2pbXbLKTk , I do hear significant difference - especially in trills. Note that, in this demo, first piece is in Pianist mode and the second piece is in regular Sound mode. And, Pianist mode does sound significantly better to my ears. This is Novus NV10 demo - but it appears to be identical interface/sound to CA98.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai CA-67 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682570
10/16/17 11:56 AM
10/16/17 11:56 AM
P
PianoGuyStuart Offline
PianoGuyStuart  Offline
P
Haven't tried either of these yet (as they don't seem to be in stock yet). Phoned up Rose Morris in London, but they don't have them in yet.

In any case... This post is really about the colour schemes (or lack of them) that these are available in.

Kawaii James - Why are they available in such a limited range of colours?

Looks like rosewood (which is dark), satin black (which is dark), and white (which is the only 'light' colour available)

How about adding in a white ash version as well?

(For example the Yamaha YDP163 is available in white ash - see here - https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/arius/ydp-163/index.html )

That way people wouldn't be forced to either get totally miserable dark colours, or slightly ott white. Seeing as most peoples homes are magnolia-ish colour schemes, it would seem to make sense to have something like a white ash version that matches up to that more neutral colour scheme.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: R111] #2682571
10/16/17 12:03 PM
10/16/17 12:03 PM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B
UK

Are you thinking that's a good or bad thing?

Most acoustics also bounce in a similar manner. It's an inevitable result of having the key/hammer system having a higher mass.

Originally Posted by Osho
Are people really hearing a big difference between the Pianist Mode and Sound Mode here?

If I hear the Pianist vs. Sound mode in Novus NV 10's demo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2pbXbLKTk , I do hear significant difference - especially in trills. Note that, in this demo, first piece is in Pianist mode and the second piece is in regular Sound mode. And, Pianist mode does sound significantly better to my ears. This is Novus NV10 demo - but it appears to be identical interface/sound to CA98.

Osho

If you watch closely, the sound mode appears to be playing the EX sample set not the SK-EX, I'd be cautious on judging too much on the modes, the sounds of those two sample sets is quite different, the EX is generally brighter, a little 'thinner' and has a bit more very low bass in it.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Osho] #2682594
10/16/17 01:19 PM
10/16/17 01:19 PM
Germany
D
danielp11 Offline
danielp11  Offline
D
Germany
Originally Posted by Osho

Osho

Hello

I am more or less an adult beginner (3 years of lessons) and i am just starting to learn the piece on this kawai demo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2pbXbLKTk (Pianist mode). Its the beginning of the Chopin Nocturne in c sharp minor opus posthumous.

I have an Kawai CS11 with the "normal hi-xl" sound of the SK-EX.

My recording of the beginning of this piece on my CS11 in .wav ist terrible (just starting to learn this piece and more or less a beginner), so forgive me for hurting your ears. I altered the default resonance settings on the CS11 a bit.

Maybe this comparison between hi xl SK EX and Pianist mode SK EX (on the video) of the same piece is nevertheless usefull for some.

Here ist the link of my recording:Chopin Nocturne c sharp minor opus posthumous

I am very much interested in your opinion of the difference of the sounds (hi xl vs. Pinist mode)

Daniel

KAWAI CS11 (sold KAWAI CA 97), KAWAI GX2 acoustic grand piano (sold SCHIMMEL acoustic upright)
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: danielp11] #2682639
10/16/17 04:38 PM
10/16/17 04:38 PM
Europe
A
arc_turus Offline
arc_turus  Offline
A
Europe

I think it is very difficult to objectively compare the two modes or even the difference between the pianist mode characters in terms of "quality".

Nevertheless, I have heard several digital recordings produced by the CAx7 and the CS models with the "old" sound mode. One of the main differences I hear is the "soundstage". The pianist mode demos are "wider" and have more spatial "depth". The sound mode is flat. it sounds like the mics are just capturing a basic stereo image. A related difference is that whenever there any multiple sounds being heard at the same time they seem to originate in different locations/sources in pianist mode (as different independent strings producing sound at the same time). In sound mode I hear what I hear on my DP: a "mass" of sound that blends together all individual notes. Just listen to the Full or Balad pianist demos and then to the sound mode demo. And then there is the resonance. Listen carefully to the Ballad and Vintage demos. This is what I am used to hear in Pianoteq, not in DPs that try to simulate resonance with a set of tweaked DSP effects.

The new Pianist mode demos are also quite dry; I don't like things excessively reverbed but I think a bit would have helped bring out the differences a bit more.

I agree that the sound is rather dry. But I actually think this may be a good thing! I would say that what we hearing on these pianist mode recordings is mostly the result of the acoustic resonance model and not of reverberation effects at all. If this proves to be true, then there is plenty of margin to apply reverberation afterwards. And if the speaker system of the new models is good enough, then maybe we can rely on the natural reverberation of the room instead of additional effects.

Originally Posted by danielp11
I am very much interested in your opinion of the difference of the sounds (hi xl vs. Pinist mode)

I hear what I described above. The Chopin piece on the youtube video has a wider and deeper soundstage than your recording. Yours is a flat stereo recording. The second part of the youtube video also has a narrow soundstage, like your recording. Your recording also has a lot of reverberation. This is very noticeable during the rests, especially during the first couple of measures. In the video the only sound that remains is that of resonance. In your recording the sound continues to reverberate. The fast repeated notes also sound clearer on the video. And congrats for your performance :-)

BTW, I have listened to these demos with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 (open) and Beyerdynamic DT 770 (closed) headphones. I would only point out that the soundstage of the pianist mode is even more pronounced than that of the sound mode on the 990s.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: PianoGuyStuart] #2682706
10/16/17 09:43 PM
10/16/17 09:43 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Stuart,

Originally Posted by PianoGuyStuart

Looks like rosewood (which is dark), satin black (which is dark), and white (which is the only 'light' colour available)

The domestic (Japanese) market offers the CA78 in a 'White Maple' finish:
[Linked Image]

...however, this is not available overseas.

I shall pass on your suggestion to the product planning team, however I expect for the time-being the colour finish line-up will remain Rosewood, Satin Black, and Satin White.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: arc_turus] #2682708
10/16/17 09:55 PM
10/16/17 09:55 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
arc_turus, I think that's a great description! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: danielp11] #2682712
10/16/17 10:34 PM
10/16/17 10:34 PM
Portland, OR, USA
O
Osho Offline
500 Post Club Member
Osho  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Portland, OR, USA
Originally Posted by danielp11

I think arc_turus covered it quite well.

Overall, I find that the Pianist mode sounds more like you are surrounded by Piano sound in all directions. I also found that the resonances were better with it in some parts.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai CA-67 + Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6
Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682762
10/17/17 05:36 AM
10/17/17 05:36 AM
P
PianoGuyStuart Offline
PianoGuyStuart  Offline
P
White Maple
Hello Stuart,

Originally Posted by PianoGuyStuart

The domestic (Japanese) market offers the CA78 in a 'White Maple' finish:
[Linked Image]

...however, this is not available overseas.

I shall pass on your suggestion to the product planning team, however I expect for the time-being the colour finish line-up will remain Rosewood, Satin Black, and Satin White.

Kind regards,
James
x

White Maple looks lovely James!

Have to say the miserable colours would give me pause for thought about buying this.

Satin white feels a little too 'Elton John'. White maple took the edge of it and was more subtle in my opinion. Would make sense to offer it elsewhere.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682766
10/17/17 05:56 AM
10/17/17 05:56 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Stuart,

May I ask where you are based, please? (country)

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682780
10/17/17 06:56 AM
10/17/17 06:56 AM
P
PianoGuyStuart Offline
PianoGuyStuart  Offline
P
Hello Stuart,

May I ask where you are based, please? (country)

Kind regards,
James
x

Sure, UK. London.

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682782
10/17/17 07:05 AM
10/17/17 07:05 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline OP
Kawai James  Offline OP
Hamamatsu, Japan
Okay, thanks!

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682801
10/17/17 09:20 AM
10/17/17 09:20 AM
Hungary, Europe
C
Csillag Offline
Csillag  Offline
C
Hungary, Europe

The new SK-EX Rendering (employed by 'Pianist Mode') requires more information than standard MIDI can capture/supply, [...] MIDI is also still transmitted through the MIDI, USB jacks, or Bluetooth MIDI

I understand that the new sound engine requires more information than what is available via standard midi.
However, if I understand the tech correctly, MIDI supports custom extensions for describing data that is not covered by standard midi.

Has Kawai defined the extensions for doing this? Because if it did, then any software pianos connected via MIDI could make use of this extra information.

Can we hope for a future software update that would support this?

Re: Kawai announces Concert Artist CA98 and CA78 digital pianos [Re: Kawai James] #2682806
10/17/17 09:31 AM
10/17/17 09:31 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sofia, Bulgaria
James, what it this data the Rendering engine requires that can't be sent through MIDI? This is really awkward. You play the piano through the keyboard and pedals. Both are supported in MIDI. If you are saying the keyboard generated high-resolution values that can't be transmitted through MIDI, this shouldn't prevent the engine from receiving low-resolution values. For example if the engine distinguished between a value of 27.5 and 27.6, why wouldn't it receive a value of just 27? The same about pedals. Unless there's some audio feedback that needs to go through the speakers and the audio system and then gets feed back into the engine for some reason (resonances?), there's really no reason for this limitation. Can you (are you allowed to) elaborate on this?

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyboard study
by yemerlums. 04/19/18 05:09 AM
Korg C1 Air vs many others
by gtn11. 04/19/18 03:59 AM
Combining dynamically-tuned just intonation and atonality
by Roshan Kakiya. 04/19/18 01:52 AM
Abstract concertos similar to these?
by Meelays. 04/18/18 11:07 PM
setting downbearing
by Alex_. 04/18/18 08:04 PM
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Play Debussy
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics185,134
Posts2,711,058
Members90,021
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission