2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Please do not post in this thread - use the discussion thread!

Welcome to the Spanish Latin American Themed Recital! Fifteen pianists have performed 29 pieces representing composers from Spain, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina.

A separate thread has been created for discussion:
Spanish Themed Recital discussion thread

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:
Spanish Themed Recital Response Template

There are three ways to listen to the recital:

You can listen to individual performances below.

You can use the Online Streaming Player

Or you can download the zip files:
span1.zip
span2.zip
span3.zip
span4.zip

You can also listen to previous ABF recitals through the ABF Recital Index

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this recital. Special thanks Monica and Sam for your advice with recital management and of course to everyone who has made the recitals possible here on ABF.

DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD!

Time to listen and ENJOY!

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:dire tonic
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Chega de Saudade
Composer:Antonio Carlos Jobim
Duration:03:06
Source of music:own arrangement
Instrument used:VPC1/Garritan CFX
Recording method:Cubase
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Memory's a bit of a problem these days so decided finally to get to grips with Sibelius scoring for drafting this out, which itself cut into the time left for an eleventh-hour effort hence a couple of edits to ease the task. There's quite a lot I'd have changed if I'd had the sense to start earlier but panic set in and didn't have the time to remedy an overly busy final quarter of the song which is reprised after the 'solo'. Filched a couple of bars from the Corea/Burton version to slot between the minor and major sections.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:mel_lem/Melanie
Experience:Retarted since December 2016
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/mel_lem22/tracks
Title of piece:Os Pintinhos no Terreiro
Composer:Zequinha de Abreu
Duration:03:29
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-120
Recording method:Live audio recorded through line-in into Garageband running on iPad.
Additional info:This piece is definitely out of my current level. I have been working on it since early August, and yet it took me a few weekends attempting to record a take without major mistakes. One cruel wakeup call when I was recording it -> I do not have the stamina to keep up with the flow of the music, guess I will have to keep working on building up my stamina for longer pieces. Another challenge is how this piece should be played stylistically. The notes and the rhythms are not challenging, the difficult part is how to make it sound like Choro, which beat to accent etc. Also, this should be played more upbeat and fast.

My favourite part is section B. laugh

Lunch was curry pork chop with rice!

I hope you enjoy my submission. Thank you for listening!

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:UnderConstruction
Experience:2.5 years as a child, returning adult for the past almost 3 years I think?
Video link:https://youtu.be/xtGvLiSuimE
Title of piece:Remando
Composer:Ernesto Nazareth
Duration:02:13
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1
Recording method:iPad + Tascam
Additional info:Last minute decision to record and submit a piece for this recital. Probably the last piece I record on this piano before the new piano comes!

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:60+
Title of piece:Cancion y Danza #14
Composer:Federico Mompou
Duration:04:29
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Recording method:TASCAM 400
Additional info:Federico Mompou was a composer born in Barcelona, of a Catalonian father and French mother. His musical education was in Paris, and his unique style of composition first became known, and admired, in 1920s France. The difficulties of the War years eventually prompted him to return to Barcelona, where he remained for the remainder of his considerably long life (1893-1987).

His 15 Canciones y Danzas were written not as a set, but individually, over a time span of 60 years or so. More typically, they were his unique, elegant settings of a Folk Song and a Dance, although he did create a few "from scratch". The Cancion y Danza #14 was written in 1979, when he was 85 years old. The Cancion is based on the song "Petiteta l'Han Casada"; the Danza, "La Danza de Castel Terso (Canco del Lladro).

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Title of piece:Divagacio
Composer:Xavier Montsalvatge
Duration:03:33
Source of music:Sheet Music (Boileau)
Additional info:Xavier Montsalvatge was born in Barcelona, Catalonia Spain, in 1912. He received his training in Madrid, and first made his mark in the 1940s, particularly for a set of songs called Canciones Negras. He later made his mark in the Barcelona area as a music critic as well as a composer throughout the 1950s and 60s, and later returned to teaching while maintaining an active compositional presence in both the Opera and Orchestral world. He died in 2002.

His "Divagacio" (Digression, roughly translated) was written in 1949, "per a l'admirada Alicia de Larrocha", who was only 26 years old at the time, but had already established herself as one of Spain's finest up-and-coming ambassadors. Of course, she was later to become the stuff of legend.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Whizbang (Chris)
Experience:35+
Home page link:http://youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Title of piece:Oblivion
Composer:Astor Piazzolla
Duration:03:54
Source of music:Sheet music. Arrangement by Viktoriya Yermolyeva
Instrument used:Fandrich Piano Company U-122
Recording method:Zoom R24
Additional info:Despite my focus on ragtime, Astor Piazzolla is probably my favorite composer ever. However, he composed for ensemble. This makes finding good piano arrangements difficult to impossible, because the arrangers have to condense five or more instruments into a faithful representation of the original.

I ran across a performance of this arrangement on YouTube and the performer, Viktoriya Yermolyeva, also had prepared a sheet version of it.

I don't have a video recording this time. My phone ran out of storage space in the middle of recording this take.

Last edited by PianogrlNW; 10/14/17 11:38 PM.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:PianogrlNW (Ellen)
Experience:6 as youth, around 6 as adult
Title of piece:Milonga del Angel
Duration:03:34
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:H2N
Additional info:Milonga Del Angel was composed by Piazzolla in 1965 for his quintet that consisted of bandeon, double bass, electric guitar, piano and violin. He was forging a new fusion sound of classical and jazz with Argentinian tango thrown in. I am not sure who transcribed the piece for solo piano. I found the piece in the RCM Grade 8 book that was circulating a few years ago, but believe it has been dropped in the most recent syllabus. I added the trills and rolled chord at the end.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Video link:https://youtu.be/uKfXWxO97JU
Title of piece:Libertango
Duration:03:36
Source of music:A mix.
Additional info:One thing I've discovered about this tune is that there appears to be as many arrangements for it as there are performances of it. So, here is another.

The rhythm I am using for the A section I got from an arrangement by Gregorius. The last time I did a small piece of Libertango, I'd made it into a medley for a past recital. At the time I did not attempt the rhythm with counter-melody plus the main melody from this same Gregorius arrangement as it was looking too tough and out of reach. It felt like I needed 3 hands. I'd come up with something else. This time I've tried it. I'm happy it has come along as well as it has (the A sections that is) but it is still a work in progress to get nicer. It was difficult for me in the beginning of restoring this and I was not drawn to it. As it started coming together, it has become more enjoyable to practice and fun to play as it really has a very cool sound to it I think, when the melody, counter-melody and rhythm start working well together. The rest is my own interpretation of how I've remembered it going from the arrangements I'd heard and then putting the components together into some sort of playable arrangement for me. This is my 3rd recording of it now and they are all very different. The versions have progressed in difficulty, I can say that much. The sound though will always take more work. It's been a challenging piece.

Thank you for listening.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Pianist685
Experience:Classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, playing without a teacher since
Title of piece:Por una cabeza
Composer:Carlos Gardel
Duration:02:28
Source of music:Based on sheet music by Adam Cuerden (2008)
Instrument used:1968 Sauter 108 upright with retrofit Pianodisc GT2 mini silent system
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI cable to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, recorded with Savihost plugin

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Experience:Classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, playing without a teacher since
Title of piece:Intermezzo No. 1
Composer:Manuel Ponce
Duration:02:40
Instrument used:1968 Sauter 108 upright with retrofit Pianodisc GT2 mini silent system
Recording method:Silent system via MIDI cable to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, recorded with Savihost plugin

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Title of piece:Danza de la Pastora
Composer:Ernesto Halffter
Duration:03:53
Source of music:Sheet Music (Boileau)
Additional info:Ernesto Halffter comes out of a family very much devoted to Classical Music, although not of it, in the direct sense. He was educated in Madrid, and over a long period became a well-known name in Spanish music circles, over many decades. This piece comes from a Ballet entitled "Sonatina", written in the late 20s (i.e., when he was young and upcoming). Like a lot of his early music, Scarlatti was clearly his muse, and this piece has all the earmarks of a Scarlatti Sonata.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Title of piece:Romanza de Amor
Duration:03:51
Recording method:Silent system via audio grabber from headphone jack to notebook, then Audacity
Additional info:To my mind, the original piano sound of the silent system is not smooth enough for this piece. I should have recorded it from Galaxy Vintage D.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Title of piece:Scherzino Mexicano
Duration:02:23
Recording method:Silent system via audio grabber from headphone jack to notebook, then Audacity
Additional info:I am still wondering what a Mexican Scherzino (small Scherzo) should sound like. I listened to some piano and guitar recordings of the piece on Youtube, played by Mexican musicians, and all of them play it in a romantic way with lots of extreme Latin-American rubato, thus, making it sad-sweet. So I have imitated that way of playing since it seems to be correct. However, a Scherzo or Scherzino, from the original meaning of the word (scherzo, ital. = joke), should be merry and lively. Do the Mexicans have some special understanding what a joke is?

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Kalos Piano
Experience:about 2 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck40MSfj3M8
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/kalos-piano
Title of piece:"Prelude" from "Seis Hojas De Album"
Composer:Isaac Albeniz
Duration:01:49
Source of music:
Instrument used:Roland FP30
Recording method:Audio recorded via the keyboard's built-in recorder. Converted into WAV via Pianoteq and then converted into MP3 via Audacity.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Title of piece:Cubana
Composer:Manuel de Falla
Duration:04:14
Source of music:Sheet Music (Kalmus)
Additional info:Manuel de Falla is one of the better-known Spanish composers from turn-of-the century Spain. He was regarded in his early years as exceptionally gifted in Madrid, and as a result went to Paris to learn from "the best". The "Cubana" is the second in a series entitled simply "Four Spanish Pieces", which he wrote in 1908 and is still regarded as his first really significant contribution to the solo piano literature.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:PianogrlNW (Ellen)
Experience:Around 12
Title of piece:Malaguena
Duration:04:30
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:H2N
Additional info:Albeniz composed Rumores del la Caleta, malaguena in 1887, as part of a collection of seven pieces entitled Recuerdos de Viaje (Opus 71), or Travel Memoirs. His piano compositions captured the spirit and atmosphere of Spanish cities and countryside and he incorporated Spanish folk idioms such as the dances that were popular at the time. Malaguena has a back and forth quality, with a measure of the lyrical melody followed by a rhythmic staccato accompaniment in the following measure, almost as if the accompaniment was played by another instrument. The piece has a melancholy, soulful mood that I tried to capture.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:Approx 9 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JK4GIF6EPg
Title of piece:Spanish Dances - Oriental op. 5 #2
Composer:Granados
Duration:05:36
Instrument used:Bosendorfer 214VC
Recording method:Zoom HD4 to Audacity
Additional info:Historically many cultures inhabited Spain. "Oriental" connveys the exotic cultures of the Moors, and the Gypsies who remained in Spain for centuries, dwelling mainly in the southern region of Andulucia. The B section evokes the expressive style found in cante Flamenco.

The greatest challenge in the piece for me was that most of the piece is to be played piano or pianisimo. It was difficult for me to learn to subdue the left hand against a right hand in the upper registers, without the right hand sounding harsh. Hence this piece was more of a challenge than I expected.

This is a one take recording. It has some warts, but it is indicative of how I would perform it at the moment.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Barbaram
Experience:4 years back as an adult, 4 years as a kid, occasional dabbling in between
Title of piece:Danza de la moza donosa
Composer:Ginastera
Duration:03:26
Instrument used:Kawai CS8
Recording method:Digital to Audacity
Additional info:I love this piece - the sweetness, the dissonance, the romance of it. It was a real stretch for me when I started with it, still is really.

I submitted this to an ABF quarterly recital last year. I wasn't entirely satisfied with where I had got to, but I had taken it as far as I could at the time and needed to take a break from it.
This recital was a good motivation to return to the piece and try to make some further progress.
There's still a lot of room for improvement, and this recording is a bit sloppy in places, but I feel it's come on quite a bit on this revisit and I'm happy about that.

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Performer's name:Ganddalf
Title of piece:Sous le Palmier
Duration:03:30
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:Sous le Palmier is the third piece in the suite "Cantos de Espana". I chose it because it didn't sound too difficult technically. Alas, I was wrong, at least for a person with virtually no experience with Spanish music it proved to be quite challenging. I would have needed much more time to learn the piece well. It would have been easier to play with the required flow and elegance if the piece was memorized, but time didn't permit that. Turning the pages took too much of the attention, and as usual the most difficult places are around the places you have to do that. I hope that I have captured some of the sweet moments, though. It is actually a very beautiful composition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission