Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (augustm, ando, alphonsus, AZNpiano, AndyP, 20 invisible), 1,042 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2682213 - 10/14/17 10:15 PM Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms  
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pacific Northwest
Welcome to the general discussion thread for the AB Forum Spanish/Latin American Themed Recital!

Please use this thread for any discussion. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:
Spanish Recital Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the recital!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2682219 - 10/14/17 10:34 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

01. dire tonic - Chega de Saudade

I adore Bossa Nova and this was a delightful opening to the S-LA themed recital.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
#2682225 - 10/14/17 10:40 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

07. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Milonga del Angel

Love the ornamentation you've added to this arrangement.

EDIT: "I am not sure who transcribed the piece for solo piano"

I have a printed version of this, published by TONOS. There doesn't appear to be an arranger credit.

Last edited by Whizbang; 10/14/17 10:53 PM.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
#2682234 - 10/14/17 10:45 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

08. Greener/Jeff - Libertango

This is normally played at a driving tempo and it's never been among my favorite Piazzolla pieces. The tempo you are taking it at is more contemplative and I find I prefer it this way very much! Super nice.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2682238 - 10/14/17 10:48 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

23. Greener/Jeff - Wave

Looks like you've applied a similar relaxation to "Wave". Really enjoy the way you let the music breathe.

Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
#2682284 - 10/15/17 03:42 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
So many wonderful high-quality, sometimes studio-quality recordings. It will take some time to appreciate all of them.

1. dire tonic - Chega de Saudade
Amazing what an impressive recording can be made with a "cheap" keyboard/software combination. So this is what Garritan CFX sounds like. Wanna have. Your arrangement is truly perfect, wonderful solo.

3. UnderConstruction - Remando
I really do like that one. Good to have at least one up-tempo piece in the collection. Must be fun to play with the melody in the left hand in the "A" part.

15. Tim Adrianson - Cubana
Another wonderful contribution. Didn't know the piece yet. What can I say to such an excellent pianist with 60+ years of piano experience (in an Adult Beginners Forum)? Oh yeah, I have found something. The recording would be even more impressive if you could cut off the sound of your footsteps at the beginning and at the end (you know, that only takes five seconds with Audacity).

23. Greener/Jeff - Wave
That tune is very popular, I recognised it at once. The Bossa Nova rhythm is really difficult to play...

29. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Spanish Dance #5 - Andaluza
What a wonderful piece and performance. I knew the piece already without knowing who wrote it. Thanks for this perfect interpretation. Precise timing and tempo.

More to come.
Constantin

#2682590 - 10/16/17 12:03 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pacific Northwest
01. dire tonic - Chega de Saudade Like the drive, energy and rhythmic precision you bring to this piece. You play with a lot of confidence and am impressed this is your own arrangement.

02. mel_lem/Melanie - Os Pintinhos no Terreiro Delightful performance of this charming piece. You mention that this piece tested your stamina – I thought you kept the tempo going and energy up through the entire piece.

03. UnderConstruction - Remando Very enjoyable performance - it kept my toes tapping. Glad you made the last minute decision to submit a piece for this recital.

04. Tim Adrianson - Cancion y Danza #14 I like how you brought out the contrasts between the two sections, one sensitive and contemplative with the other lively dance section. I can hear Poulenc’s influence on Mompou, especially in the second section.

05. Tim Adrianson - Divagacio I am not familiar with Montsalvatge so thank you for bringing this charming piece to life. The harmonies are intriguing.

06. Whizbang (Chris) - Oblivion I like this arrangement too. Your performance demonstrates that you can play styles other than ragtime. I thought you brought out the melancholy mood of this piece very well.

08. Greener/Jeff - Libertango Like how give the piece space to breathe in the opening section. Impressed how you drew from different resources, including your own arrangement.

#2682649 - 10/16/17 04:20 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

01. dire tonic Chega de Saudade (Antonio Carlos Jobim) Well, I can certainly see why PianogrlNW chose to start the recital with this rendition -- it's a knockout in rhythmic vitality and rich harmonic interplay -- great to have some professional panache out of the starting gate! I confess that I have never heard Jobim approached in this manner -- you know who it reminds me of? Nikolai Kapustin's immensely rich, ingenious "jazzoid" compositions. Many thanks for putting this together at the 11th hour!

02. Mel-lem (Melanie) Os Pintinhos no Terreiro (Zequinha de Abreu) Again, a great sense of rhythmic vitality throughout; more specifically, an excellent evocation of "Latino Ragtime", as I call it -- for me, it really is markedly similar to the Rag style developed by Joplin and others in the turn of the 20th century. And yes, it is physically very taxing to sustain that very precise syncopation over several minutes, in the characteristic Rondo form. The pause in the middle was amusing -- sort of like a long-distance runner catching a swig of water at a post, before continuing on! But overall, a great "sell" of Abreu's style!

03. Under Construction Remando (Ernesto Nazareth) Nazareth is, I believe, considered South America's counterpart to Joplin in the USA. This particular composition has for me a little more of the Choros quality than some other Nazareth compositions I've heard. Your rendition is smooth and attractive, very secure, with just the extent of improvisatory "feel" I would expect of a Choros guitarist. Nice!

06. Whizbang Oblivion (Astor Piazzolla) I, too, am a Piazzolla fan, and "Oblivion" IMO is one of his finest efforts. Yermolyeva's arrangement is IMO exceptionally good in underlining Piazzola's Classical training -- the telling use of dissonance, elegant melodic turns, exquisite counterpoint, etc -- and I thought you captured a lot of those details and enhanced them very effectively. Most appreciated!

07. PianogrlNW (Ellen) Milonga del Angel (Astor Piazzolla) Again, a very effective arrangement, beautifully presented. Another clue to Piazzolla's Classical training in this piece is the quite elegant "bridge" material he devises after the main theme is introduced. IMO, he seeks to "move" the listener, in the sense that Classical music does, rather than supply dance music "fill". That's what I found most intriguing in your rendition.

08. Greener (Jeff) Libertango (Astor Piazzolla) Great to hear your own arrangement, cobbled from various sources! I think you'd agree with me that there were a few tentative patches to keep this rendition from being truly satisfying, but I certainly applaud your initiative in exploring the various possibilities for adapting Piazzolla to the solo piano -- not an easy task! Many thanks for sharing this.

More to follow.

#2682675 - 10/16/17 06:00 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pacific Northwest
09. Pianist685 - Por una cabeza This piece reminds me of a French song performed in the 1920s-40s. You brought out that singing quality and the drama found in torch songs.

10. Pianist685 - Intermezzo No. 1 Very nice performance. Beautiful singing effect during the waltz passages and you brought out the passion of Ponce. I like your use of rubato.

11. Tim Adrianson - Danza de la Pastora Tim, Thank you for performing lesser known composers and pieces for this recital. This is a charming piece with the Scarlatti-like passages mixed with Spanish rhythms and folk tunes. I’ve listened to this a few times and it is growing on me.

12. Pianist685 - Romanza de Amor I like the way you took the time to let the piece unfold, bringing out the drama just at the right time. Nice voicing and phrasing.

13. Pianist685 - Scherzino Mexicano I don’t know either how Mexican Scherzino should be interpreted, but what you figured out sounds very convincing. I get the feeling that there is lively conversation being exchanged among friends, with several voices of questions and answers.

14. Kalos Piano - "Prelude" from "Seis Hojas De Album" You have such a good sense of rhythm, pacing and dynamics. Really nice performance.

#2682701 - 10/16/17 08:15 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

09. Pianist685 Por una Cabeza (Carlos Gardel) As part of my search for Chicago-based composers for an Amateur Competition in Chicago, I had come across a piece entitled "Tango Gardel", by Roosevelt University-based composer Stacy Garrop. It turns out that Carlos Gardel was a well-known singer-composer in Argentina in the early 20th century, and essentially was the inventor of the "Tangocancione" -- songs based on the tango rhythm. He died in a plane crash in his early 40s, and has been revered as a major figure ever since. The transcription you provided I suspect is vintage Gardel -- a very florid declamation in the popular style of the day. The "chorus" I totally agree with -- just as a matter of taste, I would make the "verses" as extroverted as the "refrain", only because I hear in my mind a throaty declamation of emotion -- and of course that's now considered "cornball", but it was the spirit of those times.
Great job with it!

10. Pianist685 Intermezzo (Manuel Ponce) I would say this is deservedly one of Ponce's best known works, along with "Estrellita". For me, it is very reminiscent of one of Fritz Kreisler's "bon-bons" -- thoroughly and completely charming, like many early 20th century works intended, I believe, as a confection following the Mozart/Beethoven/Brahms, et al main course. Very fluid, a delight to listen to!

12. Pianist685 Romanza de Amor (Manuel Ponce) Personally, this was my favorite among the four you provided -- you seemed to have some second thoughts about the choice of instrument, but for me this was both Ponce's best piece of the three, and your rendition was the most moving as well. Just a great "sense of style" -- a beautiful sense of melodic line between the hands; allowing the music to "breathe" at critical times, and particular attention to the "majorness" at the end of the piece -- all very convincing!

13. Pianist685 Scherzino Mexicano (Manuel Ponce) You know, here I agree with you regarding the enigmatic character of this piece -- there is indeed a sweet-sad quality that clearly is at odds with the "joke" that a Scherzo should evoke ( Parenthetically, why did Chopin call his Opuses "Scherzi"? -- never have run across a satisfactory answer). In any event, I would push the "rubato" element you cite in your notes even further than you did -- along with perhaps no damper pedal at all. Like the Intermezzo, I get the impression that this is intended as a Kreislerian bon-bon as well, only more improvisatory and "throw-away" in character.

Thanks ever so much for sharing these in this Themed e-Cital -- most appreciated!

14. Kalos Prelude, from "Seis Hojas de Album" (Isaac Albeniz) In my notes, I had scribbled down "very honest 'feel'" in my initial reaction. Upon second hearing, I'd still go with that -- a simple, straightforward rendition of Albeniz, very tastefully presented -- sort of like a Copland folk-song setting. Very nice!

16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) Malaguena (Isaac Albeniz) I related to this piece as very typical Albeniz solo piano writing, prior to his IMO utter quantum leap into "Iberia" at the end of his life. I thought you exhibited wonderful control of the left hand, and a good sense of the "semi-improvisatory" passages, particularly in the "major" sections of the piece. My other note was "nice musical intelligence in presentation" in my first hearing -- my second hearing was somewhere along the lines of "you took what the music gave you, and made the journey secure and convincing". Most appreciated!

Second half tomorrow -- enough for tonight!

Last edited by Tim Adrianson; 10/16/17 08:17 PM.
#2682814 - 10/17/17 09:25 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Next batch...

17. SwissMs (Doris) Orientale (Enrique Granados) As you say, this Spanish Dance from his set of 12 is not as easy as it appears. Personally, I liked your "B" section (the Oriental melody) the most convincing -- it has a great sense of soul, and I personally prefer this melody in high relief over the LH accompaniment. Also a nice job keeping that nasty syncopated LH in line. In the "A" section, I would personally prefer a more relaxed rubato -- your own rendition seems a tad careful and "dutiful". Also, your trills sound truncated -- you did that consistently, and so I assumed you wanted that effect, but it sounds wrong to my ear. You might want to check a couple of YouTube recordings to see whether that is in fact so. Overall, though, a satisfying performance -- not bad for one take!

18. BarbaraM Danza de la Moza Donosa (Alberto Ginastera) A great job highlighting the special details in this major/minor, bittersweet piece -- I especially liked your precise "doubling-down" on the dissonances in the middle section, and bringing out the sinuous, acid middle line against the main theme. Also, I thought the ending was staged perfectly, allowing that dissonant chord in the top register to make a final short comment before the conclusion. Well done!

19. Ganddalf Sous le Palmier (Isaac Albeniz) My reaction to your rendition of this wonderful Albeniz piece is the sense of quiet celebration and joy you brought to it. I also liked your precision and fidelity to the score, although I did get the impression that in a few of the more difficult sections, you weren't quite "believing" the chordal progressions you were playing. Albeniz can be nasty that way! In any event, a very gentle, civilized reading -- most appreciated.

20. Ganddalf Cordoba (Isaac Albeniz) As you indicated, this is a tougher piece than your other Albeniz selection; briefly put, I think you have all the details worked out properly, but your present rendition doesn't overall "escape the printed page" quite enough for my taste. In the interests of full disclosure, I myself had worked extensively on this piece, about 20 or so years ago, and so can follow what you're doing "bar-by-bar". I really liked the fact that you paid close attention to the LH throughout; you teased out a lot of really quite difficult ornamental details very precisely -- I learned a few things that I had "walked over" in the voicings! But overall, I want this piece a little more theatrical, atmospheric -- somewhat more "attitude" in the main Flamenco dance section -- things that typically come by themselves with just more familiarity with the Spanish style. Thanks for sharing these!

Last batch to come....

#2682905 - 10/17/17 02:52 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pacific Northwest
More comments - I'm enjoying this recital and thanks to all the participants, including those who dove in at the last moment.

15. Tim Adrianson - Cubana I like the unhurried beginning and how you build the quiet drama of this gorgeous piece. Nice use of rubato. Very evocative of a scene in Cuba with people socializing and dancing in a public square. I can envision this piece choreographed for dance.

17. SwissMS/Doris - Spanish Dances - Oriental op. 5 #2 I think the A section could be played at a quicker tempo with more time on spinning out the trills – I know they are tricky to pull off – they were for me too when I learned this piece. You seem more confident with the middle section and you bring out the melody nicely.

18. Barbaram - Danza de la moza donosa I hear you pausing slightly after phrases in the A section – keep the melody moving. I liked the buildup in the B section and your expressiveness of the dissonant harmonies. I think there could be more use of the damper pedal throughout.

19. Ganddalf - Sous le Palmier Beautiful piece and like the way you captured its sunny spirit.

20. Ganddalf - Cordoba I hear the guitar strumming in the middle section – nicely done with the rhythm. At times the performance sounds tentative.

21. Tim Adrianson - Siete Piezas, #s 1, 3, 4, and 7 Another composer I am not familiar with. Interesting compositions which may take several listens to appreciate. You convey an innocent joy in the last piece that requires nimble fingers.

#2682952 - 10/17/17 05:59 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Last batch...

Greener (Jeff) Wave (Antonio Carlos Jobim) For me, a very familiar piece -- but only in its guitar/voice or jazz combo setting. The keyboard arrangement served to remind me how subtle the chord changes are -- a very nice, gentle reading of one of the Bossa Nova classics!

Valencia Preludio, Bachianas Brasileiras #4 (Heitor Villa-Lobos) I very much liked the passion you infused into this beautiful Prelude. It does indeed evoke Bach in the slow unfolding of the musical lines, both linear and harmonic. And you staged the climactic last measures very convincingly. Personally, I don't get any sense of despair in this piece, although maybe it's because I know what happens in "Part 2" shortly afterwards!

QuinGold Apariciones #s 3 and 7 (Enrique Granados) I've never heard these pieces before; I suspect it's quite early Granados -- it's most reminiscent of the Ocho Valses Poeticos. Personally, I preferred your rendition of #7, in large part because of the subordination of the LH to the RH throughout. By contrast, I thought the LH was too predominant in #3, and for my taste it requires more "shaping" in addition. But a very clean, straightforward rendition -- thanks for sharing them!

PianogrlNW Spanish Dance #5 -- Andaluza (Enrique Granados) Well, this was a great way to end -- great job on evoking the Flamenco guitar; not being afraid to project some "attitude". I always hear the contrasting Chorale section as more sweet-sad in nature; your own rendition projects more of a joyful character. Overall, I could sense the attention to the details in making this piece "work" -- the Spanish Dances are not as overtly virtuosic as later Granados, but they're not particularly easy, either, as you indicated.

Many thanks to all who contributed here -- collectively, I thought it a very nice "tip-of-the-hat" to Spanish/Latin American music, and IMO this is the most under-served region of the solo piano Classical Music literature.

#2682954 - 10/17/17 06:07 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Last batch...

Greener (Jeff) Wave (Antonio Carlos Jobim) For me, a very familiar piece -- but only in its guitar/voice or jazz combo setting. The keyboard arrangement served to remind me how subtle the chord changes are -- a very nice, gentle reading of one of the Bossa Nova classics!

Valencia Preludio, Bachianas Brasileiras #4 (Heitor Villa-Lobos) I very much liked the passion you infused into this beautiful Prelude. It does indeed evoke Bach in the slow unfolding of the musical lines, both linear and harmonic. And you staged the climactic last measures very convincingly. Personally, I don't get any sense of despair in this piece, although maybe it's because I know what happens in "Part 2" shortly afterwards!

QuinGold Apariciones #s 3 and 7 (Enrique Granados) I've never heard these pieces before; I suspect it's quite early Granados -- it's most reminiscent of the Ocho Valses Poeticos. Personally, I preferred your rendition of #7, in large part because of the subordination of the LH to the RH throughout. By contrast, I thought the LH was too predominant in #3, and for my taste it requires more "shaping" in addition. But a very clean, straightforward rendition -- thanks for sharing them!

PianogrlNW Spanish Dance #5 -- Andaluza (Enrique Granados) Well, this was a great way to end -- great job on evoking the Flamenco guitar; not being afraid to project some "attitude". I always hear the contrasting Chorale section as more sweet-sad in nature; your own rendition projects more of a joyful character. Overall, I could sense the attention to the details in making this piece "work" -- the Spanish Dances are not as overtly virtuosic as later Granados, but they're not particularly easy, either, as you indicated.

Many thanks to all who contributed here -- collectively, I thought it a very nice "tip-of-the-hat" to Spanish/Latin American music, and IMO this is the most under-served region of the solo piano Classical Music literature.

#2683059 - 10/18/17 03:31 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: Tim Adrianson]  
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Norway
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson

19. Ganddalf Sous le Palmier (Isaac Albeniz) My reaction to your rendition of this wonderful Albeniz piece is the sense of quiet celebration and joy you brought to it. I also liked your precision and fidelity to the score, although I did get the impression that in a few of the more difficult sections, you weren't quite "believing" the chordal progressions you were playing. Albeniz can be nasty that way! In any event, a very gentle, civilized reading -- most appreciated.

20. Ganddalf Cordoba (Isaac Albeniz) As you indicated, this is a tougher piece than your other Albeniz selection; briefly put, I think you have all the details worked out properly, but your present rendition doesn't overall "escape the printed page" quite enough for my taste. In the interests of full disclosure, I myself had worked extensively on this piece, about 20 or so years ago, and so can follow what you're doing "bar-by-bar". I really liked the fact that you paid close attention to the LH throughout; you teased out a lot of really quite difficult ornamental details very precisely -- I learned a few things that I had "walked over" in the voicings! But overall, I want this piece a little more theatrical, atmospheric -- somewhat more "attitude" in the main Flamenco dance section -- things that typically come by themselves with just more familiarity with the Spanish style. Thanks for sharing these!

Last batch to come....

Tim,
Thanks for your feedback. This music is so interesting and beautiful, and I'm highly motivated to continue working on it. Therefore I find your comments very useful. I hope that with some additional practice I can be able to play in a more theatrical and atmospheric way without losing the details that I already have spent a lot of time with. As for the chordal progression in "Sous le Palmier" I'm pretty confident that I know how they should be, but I really need to know everything by heart in order to play fluently and without stupid mistakes.

#2683063 - 10/18/17 03:56 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
barbaram Online content
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

500 Post Club Member

Ellen/Pianogrl - many thanks for co-ordinating this recital, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I don't have individual comments yet, but collectively this is a fantastic and inspiring collection of music. Nearly every piece I've listened to has me thinking "I want to play THAT!", and indeed I've already been downloading/buying some of the sheet music.

Thanks to Tim and Ellen for your kind and thoughtful comments.

#2683132 - 10/18/17 10:52 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

uk south
Great recital!...still listening....

#2683234 - 10/19/17 03:27 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
Tim and Ellen, thanks very much for your kind comments. Tim, you are a very attentive listener and knowledgeable commentator. Concerning "Por una cabeza", there are 2 different recordings on Youtube. I tried to imitate the original RCA recording from 1935 by Gardel himself, what you called "vintage Gardel". The verse is not dramatic at all in that recording with special emphasis to make the text of this "tango-canción" understandable for the listener. The second version is a dramatic instrumental arrangement (with some bars of the verse missing) which appeared in the movie "Schindler's list". That version seems to have gained so much attention that many people think this tango has always been played in that manner, which is not true.

18. Barbaram - Danza de la moza donosa
Very nice, melancholy dance-tune with dissonant, yet pleasing harmonies. One can really see this "dance of a cute servant girl" in the shimmering heat of an Argentinian summer - almost like a mirage. Very good performance, fun to listen to. I particularly like the way you are playing the ending, ritardando, diminuendo and then one last, small treble dissonant chord. Gorgeous!

19. Ganddalf - Sous le Palmier
I rather liked this which really is not easy to play. It has a haunting melody played in the treble region, and one can really imagine somebody sitting "under a palmtree" in the noonday heat of southern Spain. I like the dynamics and rubato you apply.

24. Tim Adrianson - Ensueño
The atmosphere is quite like in "Sous le Palmier", though much more dramatic, so this "daydream" or simply "dream" could have occurred under the palmtree. Interestingly, "ensueño" can also mean "illusion". The opening and some parts in the middle are really "virtuoso".

Last edited by Pianist685; 10/19/17 03:40 AM.
#2683264 - 10/19/17 07:42 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

uk south
(...dipping in here and there....)

02. mel_lem/Melanie - Os Pintinhos no Terreiro Congrats on maintaining such a metronomic left hand, made me want to spring up and dance (if only I knew how to dance). A spirited and fun performance!

06. Whizbang (Chris) - Oblivion This works so well it's hard to believe it wasn't written with the piano in mind. The time you spent on it has paid off handsomely. A fine performance, such contrast and drama. Loved it.

23. Greener/Jeff - Wave Compelled to make a beeline for a performance of the recital's fellow Jobim exponent, it's a pleasure to hear Wave so balanced and familiar. Your left hand works really well in laying out a very characteristic Latin rhythm while supporting much of the chordal structure too. Great to have the connection, picking up from the start your dad gave you, most enjoyable!

#2683318 - 10/19/17 12:38 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: Pianist685]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pianist685, thanks for your comments -- and the correction regarding the Gardel! Just a bit of information regarding the Danzas Fantasticas, and Ensueno specifically --- Turina based all three Danzas on short quotations from a novel by author Jorge Mas entitled "La Orgia". The quotation that precedes Ensueno is translated as follows: "...the guitar's strings sounded the lament of a soul helpless under the weight of bitterness...". In that context, I believe the better translation of Ensueno might indeed be "illusion" rather than "daydream" -- the 5/8 zortzico section representing the sweet, calm everyday world, but the 6/8 - 4/4 section providing a far more dark, passionate metaphysical state.

#2683724 - 10/20/17 08:10 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pacific Northwest
My comments on the last set of pieces. Thanks again to all the participants for making this an enjoyable and enlightening recital.

22. Tim Adrianson - Sonatina in G Minor, 1st Movement Yet another composer I’m not familiar with. Sounds like a piece written earlier than 1947 in the Romantic style. You have created a feeling of warmth and nostalgia – it sounds like you enjoyed playing this piece.

23. Greener/Jeff - Wave I like the cool, carefree sound of your Bossa Nova rhythm. And even more cool is that you are playing your dad’s arrangement.

24. Tim Adrianson - Ensueno I’m hearing a 123,12 rhythm in the A section. I tried to find a video of a Zortzico Basque dance on the internet to better understand the piece but only found a limited description of this type of dance. Very intriguing piece.

25. Tim Adrianson - Sonata de Castilla #3 Your technique is very effective in making the piano sound like a guitar. You also bring out the percussive tones and rhythms very well.

26. Valencia - Bachianas Brasileiras No. 4, Preludio Nice pacing on the dramatic buildup from the opening haunting melody. You kept this listener in suspense.

27. QuinGold - Apariciones No. 3, Andantino quasi allegretto and No. 7, Sensitiva The No 3 sounded a little methodical with each beat emphasized. Your playing of No 7 sounded relaxed and the melody shined through.

#2683840 - 10/21/17 11:33 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Toronto, Canada
Wow, way cool everyone. Thanks so much for your encouraging responses. Isn't it great being a piano player and nice to know you all here.

I listened to some I was drawn to right off the bat last Sunday and will comment on these now. The rest working on and will see you again shortly, I suppose smile . Great tunes and very worthwhile choice for theme, I think.

PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Milonga del Angel

Very nice and like your interpretation. It is a lovely piece I still play. Thought you brought an under stated feel to it which I really like as it is a tune that can otherwise easily get over the top dramatic. You handled the bridge nicely. Nice work with all of it really. I wasn't so crazy about closing chord. Sorry, could be just me. Just felt it didn't fit so great with the feel of the rest of the piece and seemed was a little too coolsville. At any rate, again, just me being picky and my taste. You play well. Thank you for chairing here.

Whizbang (Chris) - Oblivion

Had no idea what to expect with this, Chris but it became more familiar as the piece progressed. Lovely progressions as I'd expect now from Piazzolla. It started becoming very capturing around 30 second mark. To take your breath away at a minute twenty five mark and continuing. Fabulous arrangement you found for it and very fine job. A great sound and a beautiful work.

dire tonic - Chega de Saudade

This is what I'd like to hear at a nearby supper club. Unfortunately I've never found it. Even though Toronto is supposed to be such a great jazz city and I live here now, the best I ever saw was when my Dad met me DT when I was working here for a year when I was 19 or so. The Chicken-deli at the time. He could always find them, but I can't seem to. The place isn't the same now. I love the cocktail feel in your performance and the feeling it brings to me hearing it. Thanks for sharing and being here. Thank you also for kind words. You have nice way of putting things.

mel_lem/Melanie -Os Pintinhos no Terreiro
Just noticing that of what I've been listening to so far, many are similar length of 3.5 minutes. It is a nice pocket and good length. There is a lot going on in this and you've done it all very well with polished sound. Great job and Thank you.

UnderConstruction - Remando

My first time hearing this. Nice playing and a great Spanish, familiar feel you bring to it. Nice choice of material that I knew would be in store for this recital. Nice playing and presentation of a challenging piece of work. Congratulations and hope you enjoy the new piano.

Tim Adrianson - Cancion y Danza #14 / Divagacio

Good job being able to play works like this. They would be out of reach and too obscure for me basically, as I would need to rely on reading too much which I never do exclusively. A lot more to Spanish than the small segment I know. Thanks for sharing and fine playing of these sophisticated compositions.

Pianist685 - Por una cabeza
Like your arrangement of this. Powerful bridge I've always liked with octave melody. Sweet light sound and nice playing. A cute and very nice entertaining piece. You play it great.

#2683860 - 10/21/17 01:02 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: Greener]  
PianogrlNW Offline
500 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted by Greener

PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Milonga del Angel
Very nice and like your interpretation. It is a lovely piece I still play. Thought you brought an understated feel to it which I really like as it is a tune that can otherwise easily get over the top dramatic. You handled the bridge nicely. Nice work with all of it really. I wasn't so crazy about closing chord. Sorry, could be just me. Just felt it didn't fit so great with the feel of the rest of the piece and seemed was a little too coolsville. At any rate, again, just me being picky and my taste. You play well. Thank you for chairing here.

Interesting observations. My first version was more melodramatic and I lived with it for awhile to conclude I didn't like the predictability of that interpretation. That led to the more understated version. I haven't received your reaction to the concluding chord before, but it's very possible that listeners had the same reaction as you. I don't know much about jazz, but think it may be a 13th chord, diminished or augmented? I'm going to experiment with the ending. I can see how a jazz chord is not compatible with a milonga. Thanks for pointing that out.

#2684026 - 10/22/17 05:57 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

uk south
04. Tim Adrianson - Cancion y Danza #14 I hear an assortment of harmonic strains; some in the earlier part fairly familiar, then in the latter half something quite novel to my ears, almost simulating bells, perhaps church bells. No matter how primitive their melodies I guess folk songs can always be worked into something very sophisticated, as here, but that gongy dissonance, putting hands in unusual chord shapes, would take (me) a bit of time to get used to. Impressive and exciting.

07. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Milonga del Angel. Hot on the heels of Oblivion, I’m now beginning to get a sense of Piazzolla’s writing. I know I've heard this before somewhere before without noting the composer’s name or the title but I was completely caught up in your delightful, expressive rendition.

10. Pianist685 - Intermezzo No. 1 This is so familiar that it must in the past have drifted into my subconscious, never identified, so thanks for this opportunity to take it in fully (I'm a pushover for melodies that creep into the left hand!). Absolutely lovely, enviable pianissimo, and the Vintage D suits it really well.

20. Ganddalf - Cordoba A very convincing effort on this demanding piece. For sure, there are areas that will need further focus (aren’t there always!?) but you appear to be within a stone’s throw of a keeper performance. Really well done!

26. Valencia - Bachianas Brasileiras No. 4, Preludio That repeating motif is quite hypnotic, no knowing where it will go next, making the unexpected and explosive climax so effective – a great listen and positively no mood antidote required!

#2684161 - 10/22/17 05:28 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Kalos Piano Offline
Kalos Piano  Offline

I'd just like to say that this has been probably my favorite recital so far. I'm impressed by the very high quality of the performances and I thank you all for letting me discover some new great music.
I won't be making comments for each specific piece as I really liked everything and I'm not in a position to teach anything to anybody on this music, but I'd like to make a special mention for Melanie's Os Pintinhos No Terreiro, as you mention that the piece is definitely out of your level but I actually thought it was perfect, just like the rest of your soundcloud channel.
So looking forward to the next recital.

#2684293 - 10/23/17 04:49 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Jerzyk19 Online content
Jerzyk19  Online Content

UK
I have to say that I love this recital and its climate.
I’m beginner pianist so I don’t want to judge technical aspects of the performances but it seems that level of all participants is high.
I would like to point out one performance, which I love the most. It is :
06. Whizbang (Chris) - Oblivion - Excellent composition very well played.

#2684395 - 10/23/17 11:20 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dire tonic  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

uk south
14. Kalos Piano - "Prelude" from "Seis Hojas De Album" But for this recital I’d have remained quite ignorant of so much Spanish music but those Moorish harmonies are instantly recognisable. You’ve turned in a confident, convincing performance with a maturity that belies the short period you’ve apparently been learning for. Well done!

15. Tim Adrianson - Cubana For a few seconds there I was transported back to the first time I heard Peanut Vendor as performed by the Stan Kenton orchestra (the opening chords are reminiscent) but obviously Manuel de Falla had other ideas, a mountain of them. Luscious warm harmonies and modulation flitting about with wild abandon. This is a piece I'm sure I'd never have sought out so many thanks for submitting such an enjoyable, compelling recording.

18. Barbaram - Danza de la moza donosa I’ve only learnt through listening to this recital that sometimes quite outlandish dissonance is characteristic of some of the later Spanish composers (all of them?). But I recognise Danza de la moza donosa so a rapt fascination if not easy acceptance replaces what had been surprise bordering on shock at first hearing. And maybe that apples to dissonance generally: you can get inured to it, even get to like it.
You might disagree but I'd be tempted to add a dash of reverb to your recording to give it a little more grandeur, but even without, this was a most enjoyable performance and a welcome reminder of a great composition.

#2684615 - 10/24/17 08:41 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Ganddalf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ganddalf  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Norway

25. Tim Adrianson - Sonata de Castilla #3
Very interesting piece. It is clearly modern music while the link to Scarlatti isn’t difficult to make out. Somehow it also makes me think of Shostakovich. I can hear that it is quite difficult technically, but you seem to master almost any musical style.

26. Valencia - Bachianas Brasileiras No. 4, Preludio
This is a very rich and musically very interesting composition. It is possible to hear that the music was inspired by Bach while the Latino character is evident. I enjoyed your performance. Great contrast between the soft and load parts and very expressive development throughout.

27. QuinGold - Apariciones No. 3, Andantino quasi allegretto
28. QuinGold - Apariciones No. 7, Sensitiva,
These two pieces were both new to me. I enjoyed how you shaped the beautiful melodic lines of both of them, and as far as I can judge your performance is flawless.

29. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Spanish Dance #5 - Andaluza
Very well prepared and thoughtful interpretation! You have been very conscious about the details, and obviously spent a lot of time studying the piece. Excellent performance!

#2684781 - 10/24/17 08:01 PM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A few comments regarding the comments --

@ PianogrlNW -- You were correct in discerning that the Guastavino was my personal favorite. It's perhaps because it's the freshest -- I purchased the Sonatina sheet music for this recital, knowing that Guastavino had written some very pleasing guitar music that I remembered from 50 years ago, and figuring that his piano music would be similar in nature -- and I certainly wasn't disappointed! Actually, all three movements are terrific in their various ways, but I thought the first was just such a knockout in its intimate sweet sadness. Just an aside -- all the other pieces were rarities I've collected over the past 20 years or so, a couple older than that. There is SO much wonderful solo piano music, virtually never played!

@ dire tonic -- It may interest you to know that the family of Mompou's mother were owners of a bell foundry -- and Mompou wrote several pieces with allusions to bells -- occasionally explicit; more often implicit. Definitely a component in his quite unique music.
In regard to de Falla's "Cubana" -- I had learned that about 10 years back, along with the other three Spanish Pieces. It struck me how beautifully and completely realized his piano writing was in evoking the "Spanish sound". There is such a sense of craft which is deeply satisfying in his compositions.

@ Ganddalf -- I agree with you regarding your Shostakovich comment -- more specifically, I think it's the comic "wrong-note" buffoonery that Shostakovich used in a number of instances in his compositions, and that I think Rodrigo uses very effectively here in the middle section -- the sudden sharp, dissonant declamations, the dance-like fragments across the entire range of the keyboard, are all intended to be gently comic in effect. Incidentally, some of the other Sonatas in this set are far more serious in nature (although still Scarlattian), but this one is amusingly high-spirited!

#2685064 - 10/26/17 02:44 AM Re: Spanish Themed Recital 2017 - General Discussion Rooms [Re: PianogrlNW]  
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Albunea  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Spain
Listening to the Recital and enjoying it very much! smile

I'm now listening to your Malagueña, PianoGirlNW, and I love what you do there with it! I am not very familiar with the piece but yours sound to me fantastic, making the piano sound like a guitar at times. Very especial! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
action and regulation books
by musicbased. 01/16/18 02:05 AM
Buzzes, help !
by Piano Valentine. 01/15/18 09:18 PM
Hi. It’s been awhile. . .
by JeanieA. 01/15/18 08:39 PM
How much piano do I really need
by dcupright. 01/15/18 08:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,805
Posts2,687,466
Members89,459
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission