2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pologuy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Wondering what speakers those of you who have the Kawai MP11/MP7 (or any digital piano really) are paring with your MP11/MP7?

JBL LSR308...?
Yamaha HS8...?

Thanks!

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP(12), or Kawai VPC(2), or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
P
Pologuy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
80 views and no one cares to share what speakers they use with their digital pianos...? lol

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
My speakers aren't great, and I play with headphones 99% of the time. But if it helps, they're M-Audio BX5a.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
I am happy to share, though they are not 'powered monitors' like the ones that were mentioned in your original post.

I have two different setups.

Piano room setup: this is where I spend most of the time playing piano. I am using a pair of B&W CDM 1SE Monitors (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/b-and-w/cdm-1se/prd_119120_4290crx.aspx). They are powered by Onkyo 2-channel receiver.

Home Theater room setup: I take the DP to the home theater room occasionally - typically on weekend to listen to the Piano sound from the HTPC connected to the speakers in the home theater room. The speakers are a pair of GoldenEar Triton Ones (https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series), powered by a pair of monoblock amplifiers. The sound is quite amazing!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
P
Pologuy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Osho
I am happy to share, though they are not 'powered monitors' like the ones that were mentioned in your original post.

I have two different setups.

Piano room setup: this is where I spend most of the time playing piano. I am using a pair of B&W CDM 1SE Monitors (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/b-and-w/cdm-1se/prd_119120_4290crx.aspx). They are powered by Onkyo 2-channel receiver.

Home Theater room setup: I take the DP to the home theater room occasionally - typically on weekend to listen to the Piano sound from the HTPC connected to the speakers in the home theater room. The speakers are a pair of GoldenEar Triton Ones (https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series), powered by a pair of monoblock amplifiers. The sound is quite amazing!

Osho

Triton Ones?! You aren't messing around! lol

That is awesome!

You get a chance to hear their new speaker? It is beyond gorgeous and so is the sound.

E
E
I have two Bose L1 Compacts.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I use LSR305s and they do very well, I think. But I'm not someone who is very picky. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
K
I have a pair of old Yamaha HS80m in my studio and a pair of Yamaha HS5 in my room.

Originally Posted by Morodiene
I use LSR305s and they do very well, I think. But I'm not someone who is very picky. smile

That would be my choice. At the moment, I have a couple o' practice amps. A Behringer 15W bass (I have a bass guitar that I've not got round to learning yet) and a Marshall. They'd be handy for gigs if I did any . . . .it's fun learning to live with the un-hi fi aspects of these.
And if the speaker cone gets damaged, you can fix it with a Kelloggs packet and UHU . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pologuy

Triton Ones?! You aren't messing around! lol

That is awesome!

You get a chance to hear their new speaker? It is beyond gorgeous and so is the sound.

Yes, the bass notes are a thing of beauty (via either Pianoteq 6 or Garritan CFX) on the Triton ones!

No, not yet - I am almost afraid to hear their new speaker - it usually leads to the 'upgrade itch' smile smile smile

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I highly recommend a pair of Mackie MR8 mk3's specifically for MP11.

I had a chance to compare Mackie MR8 mk3, Yamaha HS8 and LSR308 head-to-head in a studio environment using the uncompressed records made on MP11. I can tell you that Mackie's performance was absolutely stunning. Great bass and decent details. For MP11 I would not consider anything else (for the reasonable price).

A
A
I used to have a pair of Mackie cr4's. Now replaced with JBL 305's and use the Mackie's on the PC. Pretty happy with both.

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite |
https://leadingtaxaccountants.com.au/

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
@Osho That's one impressive setup! Seeing the specs on the Tritons is impressive in itself. More than covers the audible spectrum.
I have to ask - does that in conjunction with good VSTs (like the ones you named) feel like you're playing an actual acoustic? Or that you're listening to an acoustic (when listening)? Or it's still not there yet?

And on-topic - the LSR305 here as well. Very pleased with them for their size and price. I wonder how better ones would sound, but the only way to test would be buying them, so I'm not going to, too soon. I also wonder how they compare with the internal speakers of the CA67 for playing back a vst.

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yamaha HS-7 here. They are OK. However they do not sound as good as I expected as they are close to the wall. I had to do some aggressive equalization on the bass range because of that. I underestimated how much being close to the wall would affect the sound. In hindsight I would possibly pick a 5in monitor such as LS305 and if bass was not sactisfactory (probably it would for me), pick a subwoofer in the future.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm using a Roland CM-220 2.1 setup. It works very well, although there's a little floor hiss. Unfortunately Roland discontinued them.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by mcoll
@Osho That's one impressive setup! Seeing the specs on the Tritons is impressive in itself. More than covers the audible spectrum.
I have to ask - does that in conjunction with good VSTs (like the ones you named) feel like you're playing an actual acoustic? Or that you're listening to an acoustic (when listening)? Or it's still not there yet?

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of experience playing on acoustic pianos. I have only played at the piano lessons (my teacher has an acoustic grand) and in piano stores. So, my ears haven't been calibrated enough with the real acoustic sound yet to answer this question. But, this setup definitely provides the feeling of real acoustic piano sound filling an entire room nicely with a good dynamic range - especially on lower notes which are f, ff or fff.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
P
Pologuy Offline OP
OP Offline
P

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of experience playing on acoustic pianos. I have only played at the piano lessons (my teacher has an acoustic grand) and in piano stores. So, my ears haven't been calibrated enough with the real acoustic sound yet to answer this question. But, this setup definitely provides the feeling of real acoustic piano sound filling an entire room nicely with a good dynamic range - especially on lower notes which are f, ff or fff.

Osho

What connector(s) and connection(s) do you use from the digital piano to your Onkyo stereo receiver?

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pologuy

Osho

What connector(s) and connection(s) do you use from the digital piano to your Onkyo stereo receiver?

Not sure which of the 2 setups you are referring to, but here are the details of both:

For the Piano room, I go from DP (USB Midi) -> Laptop (On-board Realtek sound audio) -> Headphone jack -> Line in input of Onkyo stereo receiver -> B&W CDM 1SE speakers

For the Home Theater room, it is DP (USB Midi) -> HTPC (Lynx L22 PCI sound card) -> Line Out -> Morrison ELAD pre-amps -> 2 BEL 1001 Monoblock amplifiers -> Triton One speakers.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB

[Linked Image]
If you have the resources, I think the better quality the speakers, the better the piano playing experience. If you are an "audiophile", or appreciate high-fidelity music, consider a significant investment into your digital piano's sound reproduction.

By resources I don't just mean cost, but also the right space. To take advantage of even $200 studio monitors coupled to digital pianos, you need a decent arena. That means setting up a roughly equilateral triangle between each speaker and your head, speakers at close to ear level, and avoiding terrible room placement like your back in a corner. There are many easy-to-find websites for good speaker and room setup. Bigger rooms are better, with less than 100 sq. ft, for example, to be avoided. If you have a good room and placement in it, you may even want to consider room treatment (again, many sites will help). Though this will cost good money to do this right (roughly $1000 and up), even spending $500 or less for just bass traps will help a very small room.

Personally I found that spending upwards of a thousand dollars on quality studio monitors to have revolutionized my experience at my digital piano. To have very clear bass and mids, well balanced under a load of frequencies, is spectacular for playing piano. Now this amount of money is probably a big investment for many people, as it is for me. But if you are not just playing an hour a week and know you will play for many years, this can be very worth it (as it is to me). I ended up going with overkill monitors for my current space (found good deal of $3000) with the aim of using them for many years both listening to and playing music and planning on upgrading my room setup as well.

I am totally satisfied with my Neumann KH 310s. About a half year in, and still maybe every other play session I'll find myself totally uplifted and mesmerized by the music that I didn't think even a year ago I could ever play in my own living room. I also tried the smaller Neumann KH120s extensively (can get for roughly $1000) and would be very happy with those, for example. Just a bit less fidelity and weaker bass. If you have the means and consider this at least a serious hobby, I would recommend speakers of that caliber or higher. Otherwise, even the entry-level studio monitors like JBL 308s or Yamaha HS7 are great value and are huge upgrades over onboard piano speakers.

Beethoven, Bach -> Kawai CA-97 -> Garritan CFX Full -> Neumann Klein and Hummel 310s
M
M
Even JBL LSR 305's do their jobs great for their ridiculous price.
I'm very satisfied.

Roland FP-30
Komplete 12 Ult; Ivory 2 - ACD, Grand Pianos; Vilabs - ALL; Pianoteq - 7 PRO; Galaxy - Vintage D, Vienna Grand; Production Voices - All Kontakt libs; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AcousticSamples - All; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Beyers DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission