Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (Bambers, Almaviva, ando, anotherscott, amad23, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2681505 - 10/12/17 10:46 AM Re: Why So Serious? [Re: wr]  
David Farley Online content
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by wr
It has always been like this, more or less. Take a look at the Lexicon on Musical Invective. True, these quotes are from professional critics, and they are about composers, but the tone and spirit seems to be part of that general contentiousness surrounding the arts since pretty much forever.

Why it is this way is anybody's guess (I've got a bunch of theories), but at least it seems to show that people care a great deal about musical and artistic matters (along with their egos, of course).

People seem to react to viscerally to music in a way they normally don't react to the other arts. I've noticed that people like to overlay a moral dimension onto music that often doesn't fit well, considering the all-too-human foibles of musicians. "Sincerity" often has something to do with it. "I like this musician because they're sincere. But not that musician because they aren't sincere." Well what does that mean exactly? Pressing people on this point is a good way to get everybody angry. More often than the moral equivalence is simply a way to justify liking some music and not others. I've had professors dismiss entire genres of music for complicated moral/political/religious reasons when all it comes down to is, they don't like that music. But there has to be a reason. So music needs to be either good or bad, and the people who like good music are good and the people who like to bad music are bad.

The older I get, the less I believe music in itself has any moral dimension at all, and the more wary I've become of getting into conversations with people about "what kind of music do you like?"

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2681518 - 10/12/17 11:35 AM Re: Why So Serious? [Re: David Farley]  
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by David Farley
Originally Posted by wr
It has always been like this, more or less. Take a look at the Lexicon on Musical Invective. True, these quotes are from professional critics, and they are about composers, but the tone and spirit seems to be part of that general contentiousness surrounding the arts since pretty much forever.

Why it is this way is anybody's guess (I've got a bunch of theories), but at least it seems to show that people care a great deal about musical and artistic matters (along with their egos, of course).

People seem to react to viscerally to music in a way they normally don't react to the other arts. I've noticed that people like to overlay a moral dimension onto music that often doesn't fit well, considering the all-too-human foibles of musicians. "Sincerity" often has something to do with it. "I like this musician because they're sincere. But not that musician because they aren't sincere." Well what does that mean exactly? Pressing people on this point is a good way to get everybody angry. More often than the moral equivalence is simply a way to justify liking some music and not others. I've had professors dismiss entire genres of music for complicated moral/political/religious reasons when all it comes down to is, they don't like that music. But there has to be a reason. So music needs to be either good or bad, and the people who like good music are good and the people who like to bad music are bad.

The older I get, the less I believe music in itself has any moral dimension at all, and the more wary I've become of getting into conversations with people about "what kind of music do you like?"

That's an interesting take on it. I hadn't thought of the good vs. bad thing very much as a moral dimension, but now that you bring it up, it does seem to have some of that going on. Personally, when I am thinking in terms of good and bad music, either in composition or performance, it is usually more about how I perceive quality in its many possible forms. But you are right, in some ways even when using good and bad as indicators of quality, I sometimes tend in some weird way to think of good quality as also being somehow morally superior over bad quality. Funny how that works, especially since I think very high quality music can be made by composers and musicians who I don't think of as being particularly "good" human beings.

#2681580 - 10/12/17 04:36 PM Re: Why So Serious? [Re: David Farley]  
JohnSprung Offline
4000 Post Club Member
JohnSprung  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by David Farley
[. "Sincerity" often has something to do with it.

Indeed, sincerity is the most important thing. Once you learn to fake that, you got it made.... ;-)

(... stolen from George Burns or Groucho Marx or somebody ....)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
To buy or not a kawai acoustic piano?
by hobby. 10/17/17 08:24 AM
PT brittleness in high notes
by Chris Warren. 10/17/17 06:43 AM
Delete Account
by Cobrun Sells. 10/17/17 02:13 AM
Two Masters!
by DavidWB. 10/17/17 01:10 AM
LA area tech for digital Kawai?
by Joe Garfield. 10/17/17 12:19 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,337
Posts2,665,148
Members88,982
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission