Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
138 registered members (anotherscott, Amedeus, augustm, AZ_Astro, AdrianR, ARpiano, 37 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2681529 - 10/12/17 11:31 AM Street prices on new models  
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
Osho Online content
Full Member
Osho  Online Content
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
West Coast, USA
There have been recent announcement of several new products by Kawai. Each has their own MSRP - but I would imagine that the street price would be lower. How much do 'new' products typically get discounted for in the retail shops at the release time? Is it 0%, 5%, 10%, 20% or more??

This might depend greatly on the region - and, if so, I am interested in prices in US.

Thanks,
Osho

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2681540 - 10/12/17 12:02 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: Osho]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Pologuy Offline
Full Member
Pologuy  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Milwaukee, WI
The DIGITAL PIANO PRICES PAID thread above might be a big help to you smile

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029/42.html


Looking to purchase: Kawai MP11SE(12), or Kawai VPC1(2), or Kawai Novus NV10, or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
#2681548 - 10/12/17 12:42 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: Pologuy]  
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
Osho Online content
Full Member
Osho  Online Content
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
West Coast, USA
Originally Posted by Pologuy
The DIGITAL PIANO PRICES PAID thread above might be a big help to you smile

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1201029/42.html




Thanks - I have looked through the thread - it has purchase date - but not when the particular model came to market. So, it is kinda hard for me to figure out how close to the launch any given sale was for a piano.

Thanks,
Osho

#2681552 - 10/12/17 12:56 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: Osho]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Pologuy Offline
Full Member
Pologuy  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Milwaukee, WI
Oh... I see what you are getting at...

You are trying to figure out if "new" models have a premium and are not discounted as much for a certain period of time - and what that time period is.

I get it now.


Looking to purchase: Kawai MP11SE(12), or Kawai VPC1(2), or Kawai Novus NV10, or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2681576 - 10/12/17 03:23 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: Osho]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,603
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,603
North Carolina
Pianos don't "get" discounted. The buyer creates the discount by making a discount offer.
So how much of a discount do you want? Make your own discount!

#2681583 - 10/12/17 03:47 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: MacMacMac]  
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
Osho Online content
Full Member
Osho  Online Content
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
West Coast, USA
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Pianos don't "get" discounted. The buyer creates the discount by making a discount offer.
So how much of a discount do you want? Make your own discount!


I see. Thanks. In that case, for new just released models, what would be a reasonable discount offer to make to the dealer? I just haven't negotiated in this domain - so I don't know if there are any existing 'norms'.

Osho

#2681623 - 10/12/17 08:06 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: Osho]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,603
MacMacMac Offline
5000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,603
North Carolina
The hard part is knowing the list price. That used to be available on PianoBuyer.com in their piano price-and-features listings.

But the new fall 2017 issue discontinued the list prices. They only show some sort of "typical" street price. I've always found that to be useless, except as a way to know that I must pay much less than that amount.

You can look at the list prices from their previous edition, the spring 2017 listings. That's the last issue that shows list prices ... which don't change much, so the list prices there will suit well enough.

But there are two more problems:

1. I don't think they have the spring 2017 edition available online anymore. Only the fall 2017.
But fear not! I already have those spring 2017 numbers captured in a spreadsheet.
I cannot get that to you now because I'm away on vacation. But I can offer that to you next week.

2. The other problem is that you seem to be interested mainly in new models.
Perhaps these models first appeared in the fall 2017 edition ... with no list prices!
But again, fear not! I found a secret way to extract the list prices. I have it in a spreadsheet at home.

Send me a PM on this board next week as a reminder and I'll offer to feed the info.

==========================================================

Now ... back to your original question: How much should I offer for a piano? That's purely a matter of choice and/or opinion. Here's mine ...

On a brand-new/boxed piano that is a current model, not soon to be superseded by a new model ... I'd offer 30% off of list price, and I'd close the deal at 20% off.

For a floor model ... I'd expect to pay less ... but I'd only make an offer for a pristine unit.

For an obsolete model (or soon-to-be-obsolete model) I'd offer 35% off of list and maybe (just maybe) close a deal at 30% off.

#2681628 - 10/12/17 08:20 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: Osho]  
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
Osho Online content
Full Member
Osho  Online Content
Full Member

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 296
West Coast, USA
Thanks MacMacMac - very helpful information!

Osho

#2681637 - 10/12/17 08:55 PM Re: Street prices on new models [Re: MacMacMac]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Pologuy Offline
Full Member
Pologuy  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 300
Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The hard part is knowing the list price. That used to be available on PianoBuyer.com in their piano price-and-features listings.

But the new fall 2017 issue discontinued the list prices. They only show some sort of "typical" street price. I've always found that to be useless, except as a way to know that I must pay much less than that amount.

You can look at the list prices from their previous edition, the spring 2017 listings. That's the last issue that shows list prices ... which don't change much, so the list prices there will suit well enough.

But there are two more problems:

1. I don't think they have the spring 2017 edition available online anymore. Only the fall 2017.
But fear not! I already have those spring 2017 numbers captured in a spreadsheet.
I cannot get that to you now because I'm away on vacation. But I can offer that to you next week.

2. The other problem is that you seem to be interested mainly in new models.
Perhaps these models first appeared in the fall 2017 edition ... with no list prices!
But again, fear not! I found a secret way to extract the list prices. I have it in a spreadsheet at home.

Send me a PM on this board next week as a reminder and I'll offer to feed the info.

==========================================================

Now ... back to your original question: How much should I offer for a piano? That's purely a matter of choice and/or opinion. Here's mine ...

On a brand-new/boxed piano that is a current model, not soon to be superseded by a new model ... I'd offer 30% off of list price, and I'd close the deal at 20% off.

For a floor model ... I'd expect to pay less ... but I'd only make an offer for a pristine unit.

For an obsolete model (or soon-to-be-obsolete model) I'd offer 35% off of list and maybe (just maybe) close a deal at 30% off.


I'd like to know where you buy your pianos, lol


Looking to purchase: Kawai MP11SE(12), or Kawai VPC1(2), or Kawai Novus NV10, or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


New Topics - Multiple Forums
Certificates from Top Conservatories
by S'il Vous Plait. 12/12/17 02:05 PM
Amplifying synth through piano speakers?
by Paalrammer. 12/12/17 01:20 PM
Looking for some information, please!
by Mark Davis. 12/12/17 12:42 PM
The fun of correcting unisons
by Beemer. 12/12/17 11:23 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,242
Posts2,678,734
Members89,267
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0