2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
49 members (Camicov, Bill McKaig,RPT, 20/20 Vision, beeboss, Audetto, aphexdisklavier, Animisha, 10 invisible), 450 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Garritan CFX Lite vs. CFX
#2680811 10/09/17 12:29 PM
O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
I recently purchased Garritan CFX Lite - and am loving it so far. Great sound. I am considering upgrade to CFX. I see the main differences at the link below, which are more mic perspectives.

https://www.garritan.com/products/cfx-concert-grand-virtual-piano/compare-cfx-lite/

I would like to get opinions from those who have gone through both of these versions and what they thought of the improvements in sound going from CFX Lite to CFX.

Thanks,
Osho

Last edited by Osho; 10/09/17 12:29 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Re: Garritan CFX Lite vs. CFX
Osho #2680819 10/09/17 01:09 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I did it that way. Had Lite for a few months, and then got the upgrade to the full Concert Grand, which actually worked out cheaper than buying the full product, and you can keep the Lite version installed to use alongside the full version if you want to (though there's not really any reason to). The only differences are the microphone perspectives with the things which go with them, i.e EQ per microphone, and something of a redistribution of the various presets found in the Lite version amongst the different perspectives. Other than that, all parameters are the same.

For those who don't know, the CFX Concert Grand (i.e. the full version) comes with three "perspectives": Classic, Contemporary and Player. Each of these perspectives has two microphones associated with it: a close mic and an ambient mic. You can mix the two mics in a given perspective to your taste, i.e. have more close or more ambient, or even mute one if you want just the one mic. You can't mix mics across the perspectives; each perspective can be thought of a separate "mode" if you like. The perspective are differentiated by different types of microphones being used, and slightly different locations, so they give a different sound and feel to the instrument.

I play classical music primarily, and I like the instrument to feel as close to playing an acoustic as possible, which means an ambient mic perspective where the instrument sounds like it's across the room isn't really my thing (although it's nice sometimes for a change or to give the impression of playing on a recording). The Classic perspective is sold as the one most suitable for classical music, and the Lite version contains the Classic close mic (only), so I imagined that was what I would be most interested in anyway.

Is it therefore worth the upgrade? To me, definitely yes. I use headphones, and the Player perspective is sold as particularly suitable to headphones. I'm not sure that's really true; all three perspectives actually sound great through headphones, but as it happens, the Player perspective has become my preferred one, so maybe there's something in it. More surprising to me, though, was just how much more alive it sounds when mixing the ambient perspective into the close one. As long as you keep the close mic volume high in the mix, then you can add as much ambient sound as you want without really losing the sense of playing an acoustic instrument, and it adds a whole other dimension to the sound. The ability to change the mix when you want something slightly different, or even to adjust it between pieces, I find really helpful.

A bonus is that the ambient mics are where the decay samples of the CFX in the Abbey Road studios really come into their own, so the release volume and release decay dials (along with the crossfade) suddenly become quite important, and you can pretty much dispense with artificial convolution reverb and instead use the recorded reverb in the release samples. It really does sound better.

Going back to the Lite, or imitating the Lite by using the Classic close mic only (and muting the ambient mic) still sounds as I remember it - warm, resonant, close. But now it also feels quite dead compared to having the ambient mic in there as well, on both Classic and Player perspectives (I don't use the Contemporary perspective much, though it's good for a change).

I've been disappointed by pretty much every piano VSTi I've ever bought, to the extent that I probably wouldn't buy any of them again. This is the exception; if I lost mine for any reason, I would buy this again tomorrow.

Broadwood, Yamaha U1; Kawai CA67; Pianoteq Std (D4, K2, Blüthner, Grotrian), Garritan CFX Full, Galaxy Vintage D, The Grandeur, Ravenscroft 275, Ivory II ACD, TrueKeys Italian, AS C7, Production Grand Compact, AK Studio Grand, AK Upright, Waves Grand Rhapsody; Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650, O2 amp
Osho #2680825 10/09/17 01:23 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I won't repeat what Karvala wrote, as I pretty much agree with most of it.

I'm not a huge VST aficionado, I just wanted to find one that spoke to me and really improved my playing experience, and CFX was it.

I didn't bother with the Lite as I got Full while it was on sale (and the Lite + upgrade would be the same price). I only ever use the Classic setting (in fact I Frankenstein'd my setup so that only Classic Full is installed on my laptop, as it doesn't have enough drive space for the full ~100gb install). IMO the ambient mic perspective makes all the difference--it doesn't sound like a fake DSP reverb (because it's a real in-studio recording) and really brings out the character of the piano. In fact I turn the ambient mics down a little bit and disable the convolution reverb, and it still sounds more cathedral-like than some DPs with high reverb settings. I didn't like it much without the ambient mics, so Lite was a non-starter for me.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Osho #2680839 10/09/17 02:15 PM
O
Osho Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
O
Thank you karvala - very detailed and informative - this is exactly the kind of information that is hard to find anywhere else except in these forums!

Thanks Gombessa for your input - I have played with some of the reverbs in the "Lite" version - and I was quite never happy with any of those - so I have simply turned the reverb off in Lite. But that makes it seem like 'something is missing' - so perhaps moving to full version will help.

Thanks,
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Osho #2680875 10/09/17 05:20 PM
G
G
Agreed, forget about the Lite version. Or consider it a 'demo' version to find out whether you like the touch and the software itself. But IMHO the sound won't be complete without the ambient mic.

Osho #2680900 10/09/17 06:57 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think the ambient mics and the recording room are important.

In my experience, Garritan CFX required a relatively powerful computer and audio interface, which I spent some time optimizing. It took me some effort to get low latency (virtually) glitch free opration. Some people here had the same experience whilst some others seem to be running out of the box.

There still are a few glitches some have reported (e.g. leaky RAM usage and false reported buffersizes) but I am not sure I would classify those as major flaws.

I keep coming back to the full>classic>default piano as it is very lush and realistic.

Like others, I don't use any reverb and reduce the ambient mics a bit. Kill the limit button as it causes strange audio behaviour. Also change stereo image to performer. On the advanced tab you can play with the RAM allocation and pre-caching menus as their behaviour is a bit unpredictable.

The lower registers seem just a bit sluggish on my es100, which only has 2 sensors (but not sluggish on internal sounds or PianoTeq or other VIs). A 3 sensor controller should be more responsive. Tinkering around with the velocity curve & dynamic range & setting latency very low (e.g. 44.1khz, 64 buffer) helps.

Osho #2792220 12/17/18 12:44 AM
M
M
Hello Friends can anybody give me information and a vendor to make the upgrade from Lite to full Thanks, MooganDavid

Osho #2954920 03/06/20 06:24 PM
B
B
Has anyone here done a comparison between the Garritan CFX and the built in CFX grand that you find in the 6-series clavinova, p-515 and N1 series?

I have a P-515 but curious how much better the Garritan will sound.

Boboulus #2954943 03/06/20 07:55 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
Has anyone here done a comparison between the Garritan CFX and the built in CFX grand that you find in the 6-series clavinova, p-515 and N1 series?

I have a P-515 but curious how much better the Garritan will sound.

CyberGene has the Garritan CFX and N1x so search his posts. I think he likes both...

He uses headphones; since he purchased the N1x, I think he only uses the N1x binaural sounds only and has not been tempted to use the Garritan CFX.

Osho #2954981 03/06/20 10:27 PM
B
B
I only use the classic mic perspective of Garritan and overall to me sounds so much more realistic than the built-in CFX of the Clavinova, the mid range in particular. The lower registers of Garritan sound significantly weaker while the upper registers are much more piercing to the ears.

Osho #2955036 03/07/20 05:04 AM
B
B
Thanks Beowulf! smile

If anyone know of any comparison recording it would be super helpful for me so I can listen.

I want to get a VST and right now I might go for pianoteq since I can try it but CFX lite might also be a good first VST.

Osho #2955037 03/07/20 05:21 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
I’ve been playing with CFX Lite to calibrate my controller for the last few days and it’s a very nice piano. I’ve switched now to my other computer with CFX full and the added Abbey Road ambiance really makes it shine. It’s definitely better although whether it’s worth it the extra price I’m not sure. Since I use only the classic perspective anyway.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2955041 03/07/20 05:51 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I’ve been playing with CFX Lite to calibrate my controller for the last few days and it’s a very nice piano. I’ve switched now to my other computer with CFX full and the added Abbey Road ambiance really makes it shine. It’s definitely better although whether it’s worth it the extra price I’m not sure. Since I use only the classic perspective anyway.

The Full version Classic preset uses the Ambient mics which aren't available in the Lite version, so yes, the Full version is worth the extra price IMHO.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Osho #2955200 03/07/20 06:50 PM
B
B
Im more curious (i realized that this thread was about CXF full and CFX lite) how the Gerritan compares to the yamaha inbuilt CFX voice. Is it so much better that it's worth buying or is it better to go with pianoteq for more variation?

Boboulus #2955296 03/08/20 04:20 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
Im more curious (i realized that this thread was about CXF full and CFX lite) how the Gerritan compares to the yamaha inbuilt CFX voice. Is it so much better that it's worth buying or is it better to go with pianoteq for more variation?

There seems to be some interest in this. I find the CFX and other related voices a bit middle-shy even compared to Pianoteq, on speakers or even headphones. Bosendorfer and "Warm grand" are much better.
Funny thing was the CLP635 seemed better in this respect with its single speakers. 645 and 515 both have 2 way speakers.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Osho #2955302 03/08/20 05:11 AM
B
B
I’ll after some searching I manage to find another thread that gave me the answers I was looking for smile

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2848761.html

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
N1x vs clp695gp almost same price
by Karim 888 - 05/31/20 05:51 AM
Trouble getting cfx garritan to work with my DP
by Hikenkami - 05/31/20 04:10 AM
Well! How's the playlist comin' long, then? :)
by peterws - 05/31/20 01:39 AM
Difference between n1 and n1x
by lopmax - 05/31/20 01:17 AM
A Philadelphia piano store was looted tonight
by Rich Galassini - 05/30/20 11:19 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,299
Posts2,964,158
Members97,243
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission