Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (604Rakuda, Ankee, Anticlock, astrotoy, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, AprilE, BeeZee4, 11 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
sheet music galore #2680873
10/09/17 05:18 PM
10/09/17 05:18 PM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Somebody clued me in that there would be a ton of sheet music at the neighborhood book sale this year. This is the pile after three days (everything gets cheaper as the sale goes on). All kinds of stuff - classical, methods, old sheet music, etc. Last year they didn't have any sheet music at all. The dealers that usually rampage through the book boxes have no interest in sheet music. And the other people digging through were complaining that there was "too much piano music." Ha-ha-ha.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by David Farley; 10/09/17 06:04 PM. Reason: typo and duplicate sentence
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2680878
10/09/17 05:28 PM
10/09/17 05:28 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Wow, good haul! It's so cool to come upon and treasure lode like that.

I always keep my eyes open when I see books on sale shelves, especially at the local library. Occasionally there's a good find, but mostly--disappointment.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2680884
10/09/17 05:51 PM
10/09/17 05:51 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
What’s the one with the blue cover under Tausig? A Masters Music Publications score (their stuff is usually unusual and interesting)?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: sheet music galore [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2680886
10/09/17 06:02 PM
10/09/17 06:02 PM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
What’s the one with the blue cover under Tausig? A Masters Music Publications score (their stuff is usually unusual and interesting)?

Smetana Waltzes for Solo Piano. I believe that was the only one with that imprint I ran across. The classical selection was a bit thin, or else I already had most of it.

The Tausig is above my pay grade, but I recently finished a book that mentioned Tausig and that particular work, and ... there it was, like I was meant to find it.

Many of the old sheet music folios (that Hoagy Carmichael pile) are not easy at all and make for good sight reading. Were pianists at that time generally more technically skilled than they are today, as I imagine these were intended mostly for home playing? I remember reading somewhere that Liberace published his own transcriptions until he realized nobody could play them, so he bagged that and started putting his name on big note easy songbooks.

There was a book of Sammy Cahn songs, signed by Sammy Cahn. I also learned today that nobody at the Monday staff meeting had ever heard of "Three Coins in the Fountain." But they did know "High Hopes."

Last edited by David Farley; 10/09/17 06:03 PM.
Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2680895
10/09/17 06:34 PM
10/09/17 06:34 PM
Middle Atlantic
J
Joe302 Offline
Joe302  Offline
J

Middle Atlantic
OMG David, this is hilarious!
This past Saturday I went to a tag sale in a nice part of the town where I live and bought a whole box of piano sheet music for 20 USD!

I must have gotten nearly 100 pieces of sheet music and several books with a wide range of styles: pop, standards, classical, christmas music, college music and a method book.
I figure everything I got cost me 20 cents each.

I've just been taking piano lessons for a year and really can't play much, but my finds are "aspirational".
The really neat part of the story is that the woman who lived in the house had music from her mom from the early 20th century and then her music from the 1940s and her college days plus 1970s pop.
I can see the timeline of this woman's life and I think that is really special.

One of the funniest finds is the Fourth Edition of the Smith College Song Book containing the song B.W.O.C.
One of the lines is as follows:

"I'd give anything to be a B.W.O.C.
I'd give you my flannel undies
And my extra sleep on Sundays"

Somehow, I don't think they sing this song anymore!

But thanks for your tip, my local library has a big book sale coming up and so I will hunt out the sheet music.
Joe

Proud owner of a Kawai KU-5D 52 inch professional upright.
Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2680913
10/09/17 07:31 PM
10/09/17 07:31 PM
SE USA
WhoDwaldi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WhoDwaldi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SE USA
Originally Posted by David Farley

Many of the old sheet music folios (that Hoagy Carmichael pile) are not easy at all and make for good sight reading. Were pianists at that time generally more technically skilled than they are today, as I imagine these were intended mostly for home playing? I remember reading somewhere that Liberace published his own transcriptions until he realized nobody could play them, so he bagged that and started putting his name on big note easy songbooks.

There was a book of Sammy Cahn songs, signed by Sammy Cahn. I also learned today that nobody at the Monday staff meeting had ever heard of "Three Coins in the Fountain." But they did know "High Hopes."

I think snooty people used to privately relish playing Lee’s “Beer Barrel Polk.” 😀

Hardback scores are interesting. There were some conventional, educational book publishers that used to do piano/vocal collections for accomplished mothers and fathers to play for children at home—those arrangements can be deceptively sophisticated.

Really, nobody knew “Three Coins”?

Lots of sheet music seems to find its way to this seller http://shop.vendio.com/seanmusic/home.html

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2680915
10/09/17 07:45 PM
10/09/17 07:45 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Smetana Waltzes for Solo Piano. I believe that was the only one with that imprint I ran across. The classical selection was a bit thin, or else I already had most of it.

The Tausig is above my pay grade, but I recently finished a book that mentioned Tausig and that particular work, and ... there it was, like I was meant to find it.

Many of the old sheet music folios are not easy at all and make for good sight reading. Were pianists at that time generally more technically skilled than they are today, as I imagine these were intended mostly for home playing?

I have a big pile of sheet music that I collected from sales bins over the years, starting from my early teens. They were all I could afford to buy for my own personal playing pleasure when I was a student - whenever I saved enough pocket money, I'd make a trip to visit the local music store to browse through the sales box. (The music my teacher got for me to learn was put on my parents' account bill at the end of each term).

I never threw away any of what I acquired. These days, every now and then, I'd peruse through the stack of yellowing sheet music which I bought several decades ago, mostly printed on cheap paper and clearly designed for amateur pianists to play at home, in the middle of the last century. The range was actually quite astonishing - there was everything from simple 'sentimental salon tosh' like Badarzewska's A Maiden's Prayer and light music like Ketèlbey's In a Persian Market, which near-beginners could manage, to virtuosic stuff like Chopin's Heroic Polonaise, Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 and Tausig's arrangement of Schubert's Military March No.1, as well as favorites (in those days) like Albéniz's Tango, Chopin's Nocturne Op.9/2, Mendelssohn's Spring Song, Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# minor, Grieg's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen, Liszt's Liebestraum No.3, Elgar's Salut d'Amour, Chaminade's Automne, Paderewski's Nocturne in B flat, Sinding's Rustle of Spring, Rubinstein's Melody in F, Weber's Invitation to the Dance, Joplin's The Entertainer etc. There was a smattering of easy arrangements of songs and waltzes like La Paloma, Silent Worship (Handel), Ave Maria (Schubert), Over the Waves, The Blue Danube, Roses from the South, Nimrod etc which I just used for sight-reading. (This is in the UK, so we didn't have stuff from The Great American Songbook and the like.)

When I play through them today, it's like a journey back in time, when talented amateurs (probably with at least Grade 6 ABRSM to their name) could tickle the ivories on the family's home upright for their own pleasure, perhaps sight-reading many of them. Many of those pieces seem to have gone out of fashion these days, but some of the older people in my audiences at my monthly recitals recognize the tune (and what they have in common are nice tunes thumb) when I program one occasionally as light relief from heavier fare. One woman even gave me some of her own sheet music (even older than mine) which she inherited from her mother - she said they were too difficult for her, and these days only play simple hymn tune arrangements.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: sheet music galore [Re: WhoDwaldi] #2680917
10/09/17 08:04 PM
10/09/17 08:04 PM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

I think snooty people used to privately relish playing Lee’s “Beer Barrel Polk.” 😀

Hardback scores are interesting. There were some conventional, educational book publishers that used to do piano/vocal collections for accomplished mothers and fathers to play for children at home—those arrangements can be deceptively sophisticated.

Really, nobody knew “Three Coins”?

Lots of sheet music seems to find its way to this seller http://shop.vendio.com/seanmusic/home.html

I thought they'd at least remember this scene from this movie.

And speaking of Lee:

I have a copy of his version filed away somewhere for someday.

Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2681089
10/10/17 12:23 PM
10/10/17 12:23 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California

For public domain popular music prior to 1923, google "Lester S. Levy Collection" -- Johns Hopkins hosts a massive collection of PDF's that you can download and print out.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: sheet music galore [Re: David Farley] #2681103
10/10/17 01:41 PM
10/10/17 01:41 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Online content
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Master's Audition-- Beethoven Op 79, 'Cuckoo'?
by winterflower. 10/19/19 11:29 PM
Baldwin: The End of an Era!
by Retsacnal. 10/19/19 09:46 PM
CAREFUL when performing in China!!
by Norbert. 10/19/19 08:37 PM
Music Theory Posters
by jandz. 10/19/19 06:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,619
Posts2,881,111
Members94,716
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission