2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
O
I refinished hundreds of pianos if not a thousand or more in the 60s and 70s,grands,uprights and spinets.Never did we have an ebony finish come thru the shop.Nor was an ebony finish ever requested.And to the best of my knowledge no new pianos were sold thru the music store with an ebony finish,even when the customer had a choice of finish..tastes in piano finishes may have changed since then.And as a wood finisher of some 50 years I can tell you that a glossy finish is much harder to apply.I don't like a glossy finish on wood myself.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I feel a satin finish will set off a beautiful veneer better than a polished finish and older pianos frequently have more interesting veneers to highlight.

Rich, when you talk of a polished finish on a beautiful veneer, are you thinking of polyurethane, or something like a french polish such as antique furniture would have? The latter would be my preference.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Classic black (satin or polished) can go with most decorating color palettes. Trends in wood finishes cycle every few years -- lighter, darker, reds, mochas, browns, etc. You can't just paint over a piano on the weekend. Well, I guess one could, but... Refinishing a piano is a costly and time-consuming process. All of the other wood finishes in a home can be changed pretty quickly and with lower costs, especially for the DIY'er.

If you go with Mahogany, just make sure you can live with that as a primary, influencing finish in your decor for many, many years to come. And what if you move for some reason, and the new house is all light oak? One water heater mishap a couple of years ago, and every wood finish in our entire house has been changed since except for the kitchen cabinets. Re-doing one room leads to another and another -- especially with a modern, open floor plan.

My 2 cents from the practical side...

Last edited by GC13; 09/11/17 09:17 AM.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oth47
I refinished hundreds of pianos if not a thousand or more in the 60s and 70s,grands,uprights and spinets.Never did we have an ebony finish come thru the shop.Nor was an ebony finish ever requested.And to the best of my knowledge no new pianos were sold thru the music store with an ebony finish,even when the customer had a choice of finish..tastes in piano finishes may have changed since then.And as a wood finisher of some 50 years I can tell you that a glossy finish is much harder to apply.I don't like a glossy finish on wood myself.

Glossy finish CAN be harder to apply, but when polyester is applied in a controlled area in a factory set up to do it on a large scale, ebony polish becomes an easier finish than just about anything else.

Originally Posted by David-G

Rich, when you talk of a polished finish on a beautiful veneer, are you thinking of polyurethane, or something like a french polish such as antique furniture would have? The latter would be my preference.

I wasn't actually referring to a particular process in that quote, David. Any of the above can be beautiful, but I still usually prefer a hand rubbed satin finish. That's just me.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The glossy ebony finish is like a young woman's little black dress; it is always in style. And it is much easier to fix (i.e., the finish that is).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by swampwiz
The glossy ebony finish is like a young woman's little black dress; it is always in style. And it is much easier to fix (i.e., the finish that is).

[Linked Image]

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
It would be a veneer. There isn't anything wrong with veneer, it is used on the best pianos in the world. The outside of my piano is a beautiful black high gloss finish and the inside has beautiful mahogany veneer.

Best of luck with your decision.

Steve

Bösendorfer 170

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I'm in the group that does not prefer glossy or black.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I don't know about Hoffmann, but I've heard it said that some "veneers" aren't much more than "grain" printed on paper and covered over with the thick, glossy plastic .

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think that many of us have become accustomed to associating the ebony, glossy finish with the beautiful concert grands we see in concert halls. There is also an aesthetically pleasing combination of the shiny black finish and the black and white keyboard.

I also love the natural wood finishes on pianos and many of them feature rare and spectacular woods. These finishes can cost significantly more, especially when buying a new piano.
We live in the market driven age of functionality. It is wonderful to see a piano in a resplendent natural wood finish.

Kind regards,
Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 10/09/17 02:16 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Painting a piano green is a way to deal with golden oak going out of fashion. 😀

And “Kermit” green won’t go out of fashion, of course.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I don't know about Hoffmann, but I've heard it said that some "veneers" aren't much more than "grain" printed on paper and covered over with the thick, glossy plastic .

W. Hoffmann might be the "mid-priced" piano line of Bechstein, but they are still expensive pianos, and I don't think they would use cheap wood-grain paper on such an instrument.

I personally would opt for the mahogany finish, but "basic black" goes with any décor. If you intend to keep this piano for a long time, go with the finish you prefer. If you intend to sell it within a few years, a mahogany veneer might be a little harder to sell because mahogany might clash with a prospective purchaser's décor or aesthetic

The choice is yours.

P.S. - a $2,000 premium is not outrageous considering what other makers charge for mahogany, but try to knock it down to $1,000 or so.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Painting a piano green is a way to deal with golden oak going out of fashion. 😀

And “Kermit” green won’t go out of fashion, of course.

Yikes! The author asks for opinions. I'm at a loss for words. Neither "ghastly" nor "grotesque" seem strong enough.

And the audacity of "the hubs!" He "actually uses it." Otherwise she'd surely be free to do something really ... err ... "creative," like lift the lid and use it as planter.

Well, I suppose if you're going to ruin a piano, you might as well do it in a big way.

Piano aside, I genuinely pity the hubs.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

W. Hoffmann might be the "mid-priced" piano line of Bechstein, but they are still expensive pianos, and I don't think they would use cheap wood-grain paper on such an instrument.

I personally would opt for the mahogany finish, but "basic black" goes with any décor. If you intend to keep this piano for a long time, go with the finish you prefer. If you intend to sell it within a few years, a mahogany veneer might be a little harder to sell because mahogany might clash with a prospective purchaser's décor or aesthetic

The choice is yours.

P.S. - a $2,000 premium is not outrageous considering what other makers charge for mahogany, but try to knock it down to $1,000 or so.

I didn't mean to imply that Hoffmann is a lessor piano. The printed wood grain comment was aimed more at the earlier discussion about whether wood is worth more.

Personally, I like prefer wood grain to black too. People just need to be sure what they're getting, but otherwise buy what they like. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission