2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
72 registered members (AB99, 36251, Carey, Coker, bxrdad1, albydooby, Bill McKaig,RPT, accordeur, CharlesXX, 12 invisible), 431 guests, and 531 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Considering the AvantGrand N2 #2677482 09/24/17 05:08 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I've been considering getting an upright acoustic for sometime time now to replace the YPD-181 I have. After a visiting a store I became sold on upgrading to a different digital vs buying an upright acoustic. I understand that the action is different between an upright and grand. My lessons and events are always played on grands, but having a grand piano in my home is not practical. Also, I can then get rid of the existing digital now, and not have to make space for another piano. Note, a discounted N2 floor model was offered, which I am considering.

Wondering what others think of the AvantGrand? I played on a N2 and it felt very nice, but I would have to get used to it. It actually feels like the piano I use at my lesson. I didn't know what to expect almost 2 years ago now when I started. Moving forward though, I probably don't want to continue on the YDP.

Unrelated, but at the store they have 9' Bosendorfer. They let me play on it for a brief moment. The school's competition this coming weekend will be held at the store and played on this piano. I realize now that practicing on the YPD-181 really doesn't help, the feel is so much different.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677501 09/24/17 06:26 PM
O
Osho Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
If you can wait, wait until Kawai Novus NV10 is out before deciding.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677564 09/25/17 06:53 AM
M
Michael. Offline
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
M
I tried both the N2 and N3 (not N3X) on the same day I tried various acoustic instruments. I found the N series to me to have the best actions I have played on a DP. For what it is worth I also played on a Casio GP500 which also has an acoustic grand action and something was missing.

I brought this topic up with my teacher and he mentioned the Avantgrand was his favorite DP and the only one that allowed him to shape the sound well and can handle the nuances needed for French music.

Acoustic: Cunningham Parlour Grand
Digital: Kawai ES-8 / Pianoteq 6

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: Michael.] #2677570 09/25/17 07:11 AM
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael.
For what it is worth I also played on a Casio GP500 which also has an acoustic grand action and something was missing.

That's not surprising, as the GP500 (and GP400/300) does not actually have an acoustic grand action. It's just a case of cleverly crafted marketing material, which, although it never actually states that the GP500 action is in fact an acoustic action, nonetheless leaves you with that impression.

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: JoBert] #2677582 09/25/17 08:24 AM
E
EssBrace Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JoBert
Originally Posted by Michael.
For what it is worth I also played on a Casio GP500 which also has an acoustic grand action and something was missing.

That's not surprising, as the GP500 (and GP400/300) does not actually have an acoustic grand action. It's just a case of cleverly crafted marketing material, which, although it never actually states that the GP500 action is in fact an acoustic action, nonetheless leaves you with that impression.

You've got to hand it to Casio and/or their dealers. If it has entered the consciousness of DP buyers that the Casio has a real piano action then they've hit the back of the net. Without ever saying it (which of course would be a lie) they've referenced the 'link' with Bechstein enough to get it into the minds of some potential buyers. For all we know there will be owners of the GP series out there who have an honest belief that their piano has a real grand action in it.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677595 09/25/17 09:49 AM
B
Belger1900 Offline
B
The only line-up with real grand piano action are the avantgrands. Perhaps that's why you enjoyed them so much. At least from action standpoint.
I personally love the avantgrands and have the N1. The N2 was too expensive, the N3 way to expensive. The N1 is what I expect from a digital piano. Grand action and good playability. If the sound at some point should not suit my taste, I can still replace with another software piano. Which I will do anyway smile

There should be some sales going on as the newer models "X" are now on their way.
What's the price of the N2 floormodel?

Last edited by Belger1900; 09/25/17 09:51 AM.
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677603 09/25/17 10:32 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Floor model is $8500. I wonder though how much people are paying for it brand new.

When is the N2X or NV10 due to arrive?

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677606 09/25/17 11:11 AM
L
LynnChr Offline
L
I am considering an N2 also. The floor model price is $8900 but the manufactured date is Oct 2011. Do you know when the floor model you are considering was manufactured? I am not sure it matters but it sures seems a long time to sit on the floor. Just curious if you know.

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: LynnChr] #2677608 09/25/17 11:18 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LynnChr
I am considering an N2 also. The floor model price is $8900 but the manufactured date is Oct 2011. Do you know when the floor model you are considering was manufactured? I am not sure it matters but it sures seems a long time to sit on the floor. Just curious if you know.

Not yet, I hope to know soon. I sent the question out last night in email. I should hopefully get answer today.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677647 09/25/17 02:29 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Looks like build date was Jan 2016, purchased by store in Aug 2016, and was told it replaced another floor unit in May of this year.

Last edited by bSharp(C)yclist; 09/25/17 02:30 PM.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677653 09/25/17 02:59 PM
F
Falsch Offline
F
Isn't the Avant Grand 8 years old already?

For the action, it wouldn't matter, but I wouldn't like to buy a digital piano with an 8 year old sound engine in it, knowing the N3X has been released recently. I'd be very unhappy if I bought an N2 just to see the N2X appear half a year later.

I'd wait for the Kawai Novus, and to see what Yamaha does with the N1 and N2. I can't imagine them not updating them at some point in the near(ish) future, after they just released the N3X.

Roland LX-17 PE == At GF's condo: Kawai MP7 == Currently in storage: Focal Alpha 80, Pianoteq with Kremsegg I, II and Ruckers II addons.
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2677657 09/25/17 03:23 PM
B
Belger1900 Offline
B
I would not want to buy an 8 year old instrument. I would have concerns about the electronic components. Not that the soundengine would bother me (if you don't know it, you will probably not even notice it) but how long do these pcb´s last? And it is way out of the guarantee.

For the N1.
I bought mine a couple of weeks ago. And of course I would be upset seeing an N1X pop up this year. The Novus from Kawai to be honest doesn't bother me. It will be more expensive anyway. And buying first instruments with bugs....no thanks. Kawai isn't really known for their outstanding quality checks...I will give them at least a year of serial production and pick up some information in this forum. Will probably not take long before we have the first Novus here wink
(And the first person totally taking his piano apart trying to solve issues on it laugh

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678449 09/28/17 08:07 PM
cphollis Offline
Yeah, well, I bought the original NP3 when it first came out, and still LOVE it.

I own a small fleet of APs and DPs. The NP3, a grey market Yamaha grand, Nord Piano 2, and this stupidly expensive Bosendorfer Klimt Model 200 that's sitting in my living room ...

Bottom line, the AvantGrand line does not suck. It delivers 95% of the AP grand experience for a fraction of the cost. Keyboard feel, sounds, etc. I know, I go back and forth between my instruments all the time.

My NP3 is still a joy to play. I sit down, I play my brains out. Which is what it's all about, right?

Totally reliable, zero maintenance required.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678468 09/28/17 11:08 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I caved and bought the N2 yesterday. It was delivered this morning. I finally ate something a few minutes ago.

I've playing with it all day. My fingers are a bit tired, the keys are so much different (heavier) than the YPD-181, as expected. Now the keys on the 181 feel like fluff.

I think the sound of the first voice is great. I really don't need the others, and that was case with the 181. Sure it's fun to mess around with at times, but I never really use all the different voices. The YDP's interface to change settings is easier I think, but after you figure it out on the N2 it's not really an issue. That's why they have manuals.

Pianoteq works fine with the N2. One thing though, hopefully it's not an issue, is that the highest velocity value the N2 sends is just a bit over 100. And I'm really banging on the key. The 181 would send the max value, 127. But maybe that's as it should be. A guess a value of 127 should be at the point of breaking your hand ;0

I've listened to the N2 in several ways now. From the speakers with the lid up, with headphones, and with a line out to my sound system. I also took a line out from the laptop into the N2 and listened to Pianoteq's sound that way. Sounds a bit muffled in that respect, so it's probably better to output Pianoteq to the sound system.

In playing, I came across issues that would present themselves during my lessons. For example, ghosting notes when trying to play some things lightly. This wouldn't happen when playing on the 181. I'm not going to tell my teacher yet that I bought it. I'm curious to see if she's any difference over the next few weeks.

In the end, I think this was better for me than an acoustic. Oh, and because I just got it, it means the N2X will come out Monday ;0 Actually, the salesman mentioned to me that the NX2 will have 10 voices, instead of 5. Bluetooth capability, but said the keyboard action and sound system is the same, no change. It's due the middle of October. I guess we'll find out what it really has then.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678474 09/29/17 12:27 AM
G
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations on buying a digital piano that you love!

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Pianoteq works fine with the N2. One thing though, hopefully it's not an issue, is that the highest velocity value the N2 sends is just a bit over 100. And I'm really banging on the key. The 181 would send the max value, 127. But maybe that's as it should be. A guess a value of 127 should be at the point of breaking your hand ;0

My recollection is that this is a feature and a selling point in the AvantGrand line. I think some pianists had complained about hitting 127 on regular pianos so Yamaha decided to satisfy them by raising the bar for 127 to herculean. The question is, do you feel that your current dynamic and timbral range is sufficient? I would think the touch settings on your AvantGrand would map your key velocities into higher ranges if you set it to 'light.' Maybe you can report back if this is the case. If not, you can, of course, change the touch settings in PianoTeq (and probably should), but you lose a little bit of the fine granularity since now you only have 100 velocity levels to send to PianoTeq. I've never been able to hear the difference between a velocity of, say 80 and 82, so maybe this loss of granularity is no big deal.

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678507 09/29/17 06:41 AM
scorpio Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
bought the N2 yesterday

Congratulations! I am so envious. Can't wait to see your next video. Enjoy it!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: gvfarns] #2678509 09/29/17 06:46 AM
E
EssBrace Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I would think the touch settings on your AvantGrand would map your key velocities into higher ranges if you set it to 'light.'

I always used to set my N3 to the slightly lighter touch. I find the AGs give the impression of being just slightly stodgy otherwise. The lighter touch setting is very nice though.

And congrats to the OP. The N2 is a lovely thing. Yamaha have found out that you have just purchased one and have brought forward the launch of the N2X to this afternoon!

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678517 09/29/17 07:14 AM
36251 Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. I prefer the CFIII sample, which is Piano 1 on AG N1-3. I also prefer the CFIII on my CP4. Compared to CFX, I find it darker, more like a Steinway and since the NX series will not have the CFIII, you have to ask yourself, which you prefer. That's not to say I've tried a NX3, maybe it's amazing; haven't found one in a store yet. Now if someone wants to give me a CFX acoustic and a house to put it in, I probably would love it.

Last edited by 36251; 09/29/17 07:15 AM.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678524 09/29/17 07:49 AM
M
Michael. Offline
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
M
Congrats !!

I played on an N2 recently, wonderful instrument, I am sure you will be happy with your decision. I am considering one myself someday, I am sure when the Kawai NV10 comes out it will be more expensive.

Enjoy !!

Acoustic: Cunningham Parlour Grand
Digital: Kawai ES-8 / Pianoteq 6

Re: Considering the AvantGrand N2 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2678525 09/29/17 08:01 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Huge congrats! I'm really quite jealous smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Roland FP10 vs Yamaha125 or alternative?
by Ilin - 02/24/20 03:06 PM
Snippets of Pieces I've Been Composing
by PianoYos - 02/24/20 02:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,168
Posts2,929,557
Members96,101
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission