Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
88 registered members (36251, baudelairepianist, astrotoy, amyram, apianostudent, AndrewJCW, accordeur, 20 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine #2676972
09/22/17 11:25 AM
09/22/17 11:25 AM
C
Chopin431 Offline OP
Chopin431  Offline OP
C

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could share your ideas on this. I run a piano studio in the center of a small town. I've invested a lot in it (monthly space rent, great quality acoustic pianos, etc). I have master's degree in Piano and hired another teacher with similar credentials. I've been teaching piano for over 16 years. Just like many of you we use Lesson/Theory Books, give recitals, sign up students for Royal Conservatory Exams, etc. We also try to makes lessons fun by adding songs our kids love to lessons.
A year ago, a gentleman opened his music studio on the same street (2 min walk) from my studio. While I understand that everyone is free to run their business wherever they like, the way he advertises is very disrespectful.

For example: - the only trusted high quality music school in the area
-play your favorite songs at the first lesson
- no boring old-school ways to learn music
- free lessons/instruments if you refer friends

On social media he also advises clients not to go to a place down the street (us) where they're small rooms. And trust me, they're regular sized with windows. He has a digital piano. We teach on acoustic Yamahas and get them tuned and maintained. I'm also impressed how he goes to every store on the street and gives out his flyers with free lessons, 50% discount offers....I feel like he'll soon be giving them out at the door steps of our school. Any ideas?

Last edited by Chopin431; 09/22/17 11:31 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2676977
09/22/17 11:52 AM
09/22/17 11:52 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
There's a term for this and it's called libel. Print out copies of his advertising where he specifically is speaking out against you. Are you a member of MTNA? You can call them and get advice on the best procedures in handling this. If he also happens to be a member then it could very easily be resolved with some mediation. But perhaps a letter from an attorney would be enough to have him cease with the questionable advertising.

As far as his tactics goes, however, I don't think you need to worry. Don't you think the businesses in the area are annoyed by him? And someone who is willing to give away their services probably know they are at a disadvantage. Unless he's actually stealing your students, however, you've really got nothing to worry about.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2676981
09/22/17 12:20 PM
09/22/17 12:20 PM
C
Chopin431 Offline OP
Chopin431  Offline OP
C

Morodiene, thank you for your advice. If it gets worse (regarding the advertising against us) I'll contact MTNA. Yes, I am a member. I really feel that he wants to steal students. At first I even had an idea to say hi and introduce myself and see if we both could benefit from this. Maybe we could forward students who are interested more in rock to him and he could do the same with classical students. But I won't be doing that now. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again!!!

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677006
09/22/17 01:59 PM
09/22/17 01:59 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Focus on increasing the quality of your studio. Don't engage in the dirty game with the other studio.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677008
09/22/17 02:16 PM
09/22/17 02:16 PM
C
Chopin431 Offline OP
Chopin431  Offline OP
C

AZNpiano, thanks! I'm trying to do what you suggested. Trying to look at the situation from a different view, see what I can do to improve more. Thank you!

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677046
09/22/17 06:16 PM
09/22/17 06:16 PM
Hawaii
T
TheHappyPianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member
TheHappyPianoMuse  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Hawaii
A newcomer boasting ..." the only trusted high quality music school in the area" has damaged his credibility right there. Whether that's ground for libel. I don't know ... I suspect it's like those ads for a "real meal" launched by hamburger joints.

However using social media to slam you is NOT legitimate. I would simply write a formal note asking him to desist or legal action will be taken. If you can be patient ... and I know this is really difficult in such an unfair situation ... time will definitely win out. He sounds like a jerk. If you are a really good teacher and have a record of 16 years in the community, I would imagine it will be very difficult for him, no matter how many "freebies" he offers, to displace you.

I have found that a disappointing number of students ( many adults here) mistakenly think learning piano is a pice of cake and after a year or so drop out. No great loss. But you will have a larger number who will continue their lessons and learn and enjoy. They are your "walking" advertisements right there. I immigrated to the USA over twenty years ago and settled in Hawaii. I have an English background with many years in India and students were an incredible mixture of local Hawaiian, Asian and Caucasian. The culture is informal and fun and laughter is important. One day after about three years I looked around my living room which was bursting with Samoan children and parents ... all chattering away in pidgin and their own language. I suddenly realized that ONE student who joined my classes three years earlier had been my most powerful advertisement. And had brought her relatives and neighborhood to me. And for years until I retired, I was to the "go-to" teacher for many different groups. I never posted an ad after the first year or so. And my "free" lessons were rewards for good scholarship .. and occasionally disgused as "scholarships" for parents going through a rough patch. Worked like a charm.

If you love teaching and are a good and honest teacher ... your path will shine. And now one waving insults or cheap flyers around will darken that light.

"Ku Pa'a" ( which means "Stand Firm" in Hawaiian)

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677047
09/22/17 06:23 PM
09/22/17 06:23 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Wearing the hat of a student and parent (once upon a time) of a child taking lessons:
Originally Posted by Chopin431

If I saw something like that my reaction would be, "Thank you for warning me to stay away from your school." Everything following the first line spells careless, non-caring, used car salesman tactics, untrustworthy. I would not put myself or a child of mine in the hands of such an attitude. Perhaps he's siphoning off the non-serious students who want quick fixes and won't stick with it, and sending those who want quality and will practice your way. wink
The attitude and actions are terrible, though.

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: keystring] #2677049
09/22/17 06:43 PM
09/22/17 06:43 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by keystring
Wearing the hat of a student and parent (once upon a time) of a child taking lessons:

If I saw something like that my reaction would be, "Thank you for warning me to stay away from your school." Everything following the first line spells careless, non-caring, used car salesman tactics, untrustworthy. I would not put myself or a child of mine in the hands of such an attitude. Perhaps he's siphoning off the non-serious students who want quick fixes and won't stick with it, and sending those who want quality and will practice your way. wink

Yes, but what is scary is that it works. At least for a time. There will always be some people who buy into these "play piano in a flash" people. At least then they won't waste my time, which I'd rather devote to more dedicated students.

[Linked Image]
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677050
09/22/17 06:53 PM
09/22/17 06:53 PM
San Francisco
S
SchroedersCat Offline
SchroedersCat  Offline
S

San Francisco
I won't comment on the legal issues as I'm no expert, but I agree with what others are saying in terms of this teacher's "game". When I first started teaching in Miami, I was very young and inexperienced and lived in the world of house calls in order to get students. Nearly all my students had a business card in their bench or on the rack from a guy who advertised himself as The Piano Man Who Will Teach The Way You Learn, or something like that. It was clever and slick. It's also horse pucky! At first I feared this guy, but then it dawned on me. If he was so good at teaching the way each individual learns, then why I was I getting all his former students?
Teaching isn't a game, or a quick fix. You have nothing to worry about! You're the real deal. This fellow isn't your competition...but you will probably end up with those dreaded "transfer wrecks" that AZNpiano is always telling us about!

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677061
09/22/17 08:32 PM
09/22/17 08:32 PM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Online content
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
Dear Chopin 431 as an adult learner for over 3 years, I selected a studio based on length of business and qualifications of the instructors. I am still with that studio. When I started at the age of 54, I had only taken lessons as a child and considered my self a novice when looking for a school. I am not suggesting everyone needs a degree to be a great teacher and not all teachers with degrees are good teachers. However since I knew basically nothing I had to have some criteria to select a school and teacher. Both of my instructors had masters degrees. As an educator myself I would have concerns about an advertisement Teach the Way You Want to Learn. As a novice, you don't know what you don't know -- so how would a I know the way a want to learn prior to any exposure. Now after taking lessons for 4 hours a week for the past several years I am educated enough to suggest to a teacher what works best for me. Anyone who is somewhat savvy would see issues with the advertisement and hopefully stay clear of that school.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: TheHappyPianoMuse] #2677083
09/22/17 10:22 PM
09/22/17 10:22 PM
C
Chopin431 Offline OP
Chopin431  Offline OP
C

Thank you so much for your inspiration! I agree 100% that good and honest teaching works better in a long run.

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: TheHappyPianoMuse] #2677088
09/22/17 10:43 PM
09/22/17 10:43 PM
C
Chopin431 Offline OP
Chopin431  Offline OP
C

Thank you everyone for your replies! You really motivated me to continue working and improving my studio. I really appreciate everyone's advice. smile

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Morodiene] #2677118
09/23/17 03:39 AM
09/23/17 03:39 AM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by keystring

Yes, but what is scary is that it works. At least for a time. There will always be some people who buy into these "play piano in a flash" people. At least then they won't waste my time, which I'd rather devote to more dedicated students.

Some of my best students are former students of "piano in a flash" teachers, meaning that the discover they have learned nothing and finally find out, with me, what it means to actually learn something!

Piano Teacher
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Gary D.] #2677128
09/23/17 04:32 AM
09/23/17 04:32 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Gary D.Some of my best students are former students of "piano in a flash" teachers, meaning that the discover they have learned nothing and finally find out, with me, what it means to actually learn something![/quote

This is where my thoughts were going.
Where Morodiene wrote:
[quote=Morodiene]At least then they won't waste my time, which I'd rather devote to more dedicated students.

My mind said with irony, "Meet your future transfer students, where you will spend time undoing the damage of that first teacher."

The part of the advertisement that bothers me in this:

is "only trusted high quality", because this does draw in students who want quality and learning. Hopefully they'll see the oxymoron, since "quality" is followed by "favourite songs", and "boring old-school" (red flags for me). But the "quality" may attract students who would be studious, and then they have a mess to undo. If you have no experience with music or proper lessons, you won't recognize what is going on, and go on blind trust that over time what you're told to do will work out.

Last edited by keystring; 09/23/17 04:33 AM.
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677163
09/23/17 08:31 AM
09/23/17 08:31 AM
C
Chopin431 Offline OP
Chopin431  Offline OP
C

I think that the other studios's target clients are those who'll actually won't stick for long. I say that because most advertising is about huge discounts/freebies in the beginning just to get you going. I actually even feel embarrassed that my students walk by and see it because I project the idea that piano playing is hard work, self-discipline and commitment. But it's very rewarding. So when they see those "you don't have to do anything just have fun" posters I feel that they get confused...😕 Also, as much as I disagree with the way he does things I understand that it's his business and he can run it however he wants, BUT it certainly takes some guts to open next door to another school who's been here almost 10 years and and claim that the community of our town has been long waiting for a place like his.

Last edited by Chopin431; 09/23/17 08:56 AM.
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677173
09/23/17 09:05 AM
09/23/17 09:05 AM
sara elizabeth Offline
500 Post Club Member
sara elizabeth  Offline
500 Post Club Member

How long has this guy been in business? Have you felt any effect on your own business? I wonder if this is something you would feel comfortable directly talking to him about? The one that really bothers me is "the only trusted..." and the crap about the small rooms. If you feel you can do it without losing your composure, maybe a first step would be to ask him to stop. I agree that the second step would to be to consult a lawyer. Even if you take zero action it would be nice to know what the options are.

Hopefully this guy has no effect on your own business and he simply attracts losers.

Another option would be to bump up your advertizing game.
"We offer high quality tried and true methods for your child's success!"
"Intimate lesson space so your teacher is actually sitting next to you, helping you every step of the way"
"Our teachers form a strong bond with students through careful, positive instruction"
"Learn the right way, building a solid base of technique and style"
Basically taking the shitty things he is saying and making them a positive for you. The only thing I would not engage in is direct digs at that guy's business.

I am also one of those people who would probably choose your studio over that guy simply based on advertizing. However, I think the people who frequent this forum are all very like-minded, studious, piano-loving folk, so I don't know what the general masses are attracted to.

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Chopin431] #2677199
09/23/17 10:25 AM
09/23/17 10:25 AM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Online content
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
Chopin 123, people can make any claim they want. However, I would have to ask what research has been conducted to validate his claim? He should be able to produce a research study for review to support his claim (not all reach is valid). Long waiting for a place like his gives me no information. Community also needs to be defined. Community can be the same people with a similar trait such as over 55, have physical challenges, an ethnic group, etc... He would of had to operationalize the variables used in his study. He could be referring to types of pianos used or lighting. Do you see where I am going with this?

The school I attend is non-profit and I have often wondered why she does not send out a questionnaire at the end of the year to inquire about the students experiences and recommendations. I did suggest to her to put the qualifications of the instructors and their names on the website. She said she used to and sometimes other studios would try to steal her instructors. How sad is that?

As Sara noted intimate lesson space and strong bond I would be careful with that wording. I understand what is means, but being in health care and on the ethics committee that could be a slippery slope. You have to remember the perceptions of others. You could use words like instructors who are masters prepared and performing artists with x number of years experience. One instructor per student which helps to accelerate the learning process and provide quality education. Instructors who work with diverse populations and learning styles to meet your educational needs. We offer instruction that will allow you to learn the fundamental skills of music and help you progress to become proficient at playing the piano.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: sara elizabeth] #2677255
09/23/17 03:34 PM
09/23/17 03:34 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
How long has this guy been in business? Have you felt any effect on your own business? I wonder if this is something you would feel comfortable directly talking to him about? The one that really bothers me is "the only trusted..." and the crap about the small rooms. If you feel you can do it without losing your composure, maybe a first step would be to ask him to stop. I agree that the second step would to be to consult a lawyer. Even if you take zero action it would be nice to know what the options are.

Hopefully this guy has no effect on your own business and he simply attracts losers.

Another option would be to bump up your advertizing game.
"We offer high quality tried and true methods for your child's success!"
"Intimate lesson space so your teacher is actually sitting next to you, helping you every step of the way"
"Our teachers form a strong bond with students through careful, positive instruction"
"Learn the right way, building a solid base of technique and style"
Basically taking the shitty things he is saying and making them a positive for you. The only thing I would not engage in is direct digs at that guy's business.

I am also one of those people who would probably choose your studio over that guy simply based on advertizing. However, I think the people who frequent this forum are all very like-minded, studious, piano-loving folk, so I don't know what the general masses are attracted to.

I think the strongest response is no response at all. That says you're in a different league and don't consider him competition.

[Linked Image]
Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: Morodiene] #2677264
09/23/17 03:55 PM
09/23/17 03:55 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I think the strongest response is no response at all. That says you're in a different league and don't consider him competition.

In fact, any response that seems a response legitimizes this character.

Re: Music Teacher opened his studio next to mine [Re: TheHappyPianoMuse] #2677298
09/23/17 07:34 PM
09/23/17 07:34 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
The culture is informal and fun and laughter is important. One day after about three years I looked around my living room which was bursting with Samoan children and parents ... all chattering away in pidgin and their own language. I suddenly realized that ONE student who joined my classes three years earlier had been my most powerful advertisement. And had brought her relatives and neighborhood to me. And for years until I retired, I was to the "go-to" teacher for many different groups. I never posted an ad after the first year or so.

That might be an ideal situation for all piano teachers, except that it probably only happens in places like Hawaii.

Over here, good work doesn't necessarily lead to more clients.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has anybody used Schaum series?
by Mils. 10/22/19 10:41 PM
Looking for a new teacher
by Mils. 10/22/19 10:23 PM
Missing Marty...5 years on
by Retsacnal. 10/22/19 09:42 PM
"Standard" Regulation Job
by Seeker. 10/22/19 08:58 PM
Best Online Jazz Piano Courses?
by PlayitSam. 10/22/19 08:54 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,681
Posts2,882,299
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission