2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2676848 09/21/17 06:28 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi everyone,

J just got my gorgeous Steinway semi-concert grand C-227, hamburg made. Used, one owner, year 1986, all original in pristine condition with original genuine ivory and ebony keyboard. It makes me so proud!

I have some photos to share with you all. The Steinway model C is rare, would you please to share your experience about this piano to me?

Thank you all

Nam Anh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Beautiful! And excellent photos as well.

We most often encounter the now quite old NY model C. Maybe you can share a recording of yours eventually?

I made a video a few years ago of one of the C's we've restored. It went to a private school here in town for their performance dept.
Restored Steinway model C - circa 1900

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
A
A
The keys and, well, everything, look like new.

Is "bonaventura II" something you had painted on? Sort of naming your piano? Or is that from the factory and there is or was some sort of Anothony di Bonaventura commemorative model coming out of Hamburg? If it is something you added, what piano was "Bonaventura I"?

Again, it looks pristine -- at least on my screen. Was anything restored/rebuilt/replaced/refinished? Or just well cared for and lightly used? And, since we don't see these new in the USA, how is the scale design on the C? Does anyone know why NY doesn't make them anymore?

Thanks for the great piano p0rn. Definitely lust-worthy IMO.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Mr.Bennett, thank you. marvelous sound from the C, proper to its period and very different than a modern steinway. fine playing on the Rachmaninov too.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
One of the finest pianos I ever had the pleasure to try.
Several times when was in Germany.

Norbert

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Agent88
The keys and, well, everything, look like new.

Is "bonaventura II" something you had painted on? Sort of naming your piano? Or is that from the factory and there is or was some sort of Anothony di Bonaventura commemorative model coming out of Hamburg? If it is something you added, what piano was "Bonaventura I"?

Again, it looks pristine -- at least on my screen. Was anything restored/rebuilt/replaced/refinished? Or just well cared for and lightly used? And, since we don't see these new in the USA, how is the scale design on the C? Does anyone know why NY doesn't make them anymore?

Thanks for the great piano p0rn. Definitely lust-worthy IMO.

Yes, "Bonaventura II" is what I named my dear Steinway. It's not painted onto the frame, just adhesive vinyl. My "Bonaventura I" was an excellent french made Pleyel P-190:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The "Bonaventura II" Steinway is in pristine and original condition, very well cared for and very lightly used, nothing restored/rebuilt/replaced/refinished.

Here's something about the history of the Steinway C model:

The Steinway Model C’s Origin:

The early 218 cm Steinway and Sons Model C was first manufactured in 1878 with Steinway serial number #38675 being the first in the series to be completed on 24/8/1878. This 85-note Model C was also known as the Style 3 in catalogs. The scale design featured a 21-note bass section and was redesigned from the earlier parlor grand piano by C.F. Theodore Steinway. The Model C was introduced during a time of advancement for the Steinway Company. The early Model C was first produced with a sectional case design, and in 1880 production of Model Cs with a more modern style bent-rim case began. The 85-note Model C/Style 3 was in production until 1886.

1886 | The 88-Note Model C

In 1886 the Steinway Model C was extensively redesigned. This new 88-note Model C featured a completely new scale design with an overstrung, 20-note bass section once again crafted by C.F. Theodore Steinway. The new Model C #58952 was completed on 19/5/1886. These new 227 cm grands were then considered to be more comparable to the Model D than the Model B. In a letter to dealers William Steinway said:
“This new Grand piano, the result of years of study and experiment, is 227 cm in length, and is the exact counterpart, in a shorter form, of our new [in 1884] Model D Concert Grand, with patent double cupola steel frame. This new Model C, 7 ¼” octaves, is the grandest creation in power, sonority and sympathetic singing quality, ever achieved in a Parlor Concert Grand.”
William Steinway (who was the son who focused on the manufacturing and business management aspects) went on in that letter to point out that the price made it very acceptable for home use; however, the piano was more than capable of being utilized in normally sized concert venues. This move was an attempt to position the Model C in between the Model B and Model D both in function and in size. In fact, these 88-note Model Cs featured a scale design scaled down from the Model D, making them unrelated to the earlier designs.

The ‘New Curve’ Model C | Bringing This Piano Into the Present

The ‘Old Curve’ 88-note Model C lasted until 1892. In 1893 the Model C ‘New Curve’ was introduced with a newly designed rim. The Model C was still also known as the Style 3 until 1896 when the style numbers were dropped and model letters became more standard. New Curve Model Cs were in regular production in both New York and Hamburg until 1906. This is when regular production was ended in New York. Production continued in limited, custom requested quantities until 1936 when production ceased for good. With that said, the Hamburg Steinway & Sons factory continued and the Model C is still in regular production to this day. Out of the seven basic sizes of Steinway grand pianos, the Model C is the second largest with only the Model D reigning above it.

A Unique Instrument | The Conclusion

The Model C-227 and its history have been forgotten to some extent. It occupies a place between the full concert Model D-274 and the Model B-211, two legendary and well-loved instruments. However, it would be remiss to ignore the Model C-227. Contemporary Model Cs measure 227 cm in length and we have found these instruments to be very capable pianos with the larger soundboard area when compared to the Model B-211 to be evident in the piano’s tone. These pianos boast a clear treble and a dark bass section. The ‘modern’ Model Cs are fine examples of the quality expected of golden era Steinway & Sons grand pianos. With these pianos being crafted during late 19th and early 20th centuries, craftsmanship was high and top quality woods and other materials were available to be utilized. Hamburg continues that craftsmanship to this day. The rare Model C-227 is a wonderful piano with a well-crafted scale that features a character that is unique and all of its own. Since it is scaled down from the Model D-274 and is larger than a Model B-211, it has its own unique character of tone.

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 09/21/17 08:55 PM.

S
S
I am astounded at the condition of the instrument given its age. The pleyel looks beautiful as well. You no longer have it?

Last edited by sroreilly; 09/21/17 10:51 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Congrats! I'd also love to hear a recording when you get a chance smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
H
H
1/I'm not surprised when seeing the pristine condition of the piano, some people really love piano, and when having it they never have time to play it, family, work, responsibility... always push them forward, like on the bicycle, if we don't keep pedaling, we fall ! From who you got this piano in perfect condition?

2/ I love ivory key and I love elephant, I think that it's cruel to kill an intelligent, useful animal like elephant for our pleasure, so I'm glad that ivory key is forbidden, it's a big progress of humanity, but again ivory keys are something very special, its ending marked an episode of our journey in the quest of being a better human, we can not recreate history, let us think about beautiful, handsome elephant once lived and now live forever in our heart, in the music we play.

3/Living in Paris and owning a Steinway C 227 cm is an inachieved dream for a lot of people, congratulation for this bijou.

4/ I only saw Steinway C in Hanlet Paris, not in Velizy Hanlet showroom, this is a rare object.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
Hi everyone,

The Steinway model C is rare, would you please to share your experience about this piano to me?

Well, you know, you are kind of in a class by yourself.
It really seems fantastic in every way.
Enjoy.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hoola
1/I'm not surprised when seeing the pristine condition of the piano, some people really love piano, and when having it they never have time to play it, family, work, responsibility... always push them forward, like on the bicycle, if we don't keep pedaling, we fall ! From who you got this piano in perfect condition?

2/ I love ivory key and I love elephant, I think that it's cruel to kill an intelligent, useful animal like elephant for our pleasure, so I'm glad that ivory key is forbidden, it's a big progress of humanity, but again ivory keys are something very special, its ending marked an episode of our journey in the quest of being a better human, we can not recreate history, let us think about beautiful, handsome elephant once lived and now live forever in our heart, in the music we play.

3/Living in Paris and owning a Steinway C 227 cm is an inachieved dream for a lot of people, congratulation for this bijou.

4/ I only saw Steinway C in Hanlet Paris, not in Velizy Hanlet showroom, this is a rare object.

I got this wonderful piano from a rich family after the death of the father who passed away after his long period of cancer. He was an amateur, and bought this Steinway just for completing the interior of his manor and rarely played it.

The touch on the ivory keyboard is so wonderful. It's very silky, never slippery, and just cool enough to please my fingers, and it makes a perfect harmony with ebony black keys. I completely agree that we can not recreate history, ivory is forbidden now, and it's a right thing to do. But ivory keys are really special.

Steinway opened their own showroom in Paris since several months. They have all models there, including at least 2 new C-227s. The finish of the new Steinways is even better, but I didn't like brand new piano's tone. It need time to develop

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sroreilly
I am astounded at the condition of the instrument given its age. The pleyel looks beautiful as well. You no longer have it?

I still have the Pleyel P-190, and looking for a new owner because I can't keep all 2 wonderful instruments

J
J
Congrats on your piano! It looks beautiful!

Yamaha C2X
X
X
That is a beautiful piano, and those are great pictures, it would be great to hear it!

I now have a signature.
F
F
I'm most impressed with the piano's condition. I have never seen a 'C' with the logo on the side as well as on the fall. (Standard on all 'D's).

I'm much impressed by the lockable wheels (again normally only the 'D's had this), and equally so by the brass caster cups. Can you tell me where you were able to find these, as I have never seen anything so beautiful for these chunky wheels.

The English may not like music much, but they love the sound it makes ... Beecham
M
M
A very beautiful C! I have never played a C before. Thanks for mentioning that the Steinway Showroom in Pairs is now open. I would be in Paris first week of October and I would certainly try and see if I could try a C there.

2010 Steinway B #586826
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fareham
I'm most impressed with the piano's condition. I have never seen a 'C' with the logo on the side as well as on the fall. (Standard on all 'D's).

I'm much impressed by the lockable wheels (again normally only the 'D's had this), and equally so by the brass caster cups. Can you tell me where you were able to find these, as I have never seen anything so beautiful for these chunky wheels.

The lockable wheel is a standard option on every hamburg Cs and Ds. The solid brass caster cups are homemade, as I can't find any on the market. When decided to make them myself, I chosen solid brass so they could match the concert casters perfectly.

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 09/22/17 01:46 PM.

C
C
What an incredibly beautiful piano! Count me as another who would like to hear a recording.

H
H
Dear NamAnh

Dang Thai Son in the following clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJnGBQbtYW0 talked about the new metallic frame of new modern piano brings more power to the piano, allows it to cut through the whole orchestra, and fills in the concert hall. Steinway, specifically well-known for its projection capacity.

DTS also talked about the wooden frame Pleyel, weaker, but produces a warmer tone, suitable for salon music, for Chopin.

Your Pleyel is of metallic frame, different from old era.

I also surprised when watching a clip of Alfred Brendel with 2 D Steinways side by side in his small apartment room in London, I believe that Alfred wants to simulate the concert hall condition in his home with same instrument, but not sure that a full size piano would give the best sound at our home. Un 3/4 queue would be the max size for home, especially in Europe.

Could you please tell if there is anything that your 190 cm Pleyel does better than the 227 cm Steinway, especially in a home, an apartment environment in Paris?

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by hoola
Dear NamAnh
I also surprised when watching a clip of Alfred Brendel with 2 D Steinways side by side in his small apartment room in London, I believe that Alfred wants to simulate the concert hall condition in his home with same instrument, but not sure that a full size piano would give the best sound at our home. Un 3/4 queue would be the max size for home, especially in Europe.

2 concert grands in the home is not uncommon amongst successful concert pianists.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission