2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Rickster
When I read threads like this, it corroborates my perception of the piano industry as a whole. It is basically 90% marketing, salesmanship and perception and 10% reality. I remember several years ago when the new Brodmann was the best thing since sliced bread among new pianos made in China. European designers with lots of experience venturing out to create a new brand to be manufactured in China (due to very low labor cost) and marketed as a lower-cost, high-end instrument on par with other more reputable, but more expensive brands.

The particular piano in question could have been an outlier or the negative review could even be wrong or biased. One can always find people who don't like or have had bad experiences with any piano, even the most exclusive Tier 1 makes. Two of the Brodmann models over 6' were listed as staff picks in the PB, so some reviewers really liked the piano.

Just for clarification's sake, the Brodmann PE-187 is the only model we currently list in the Piano Buyer "staff picks", and it's a piano we've tried a lot at dealers, at NAMM, and in the field.

Years ago, I felt like Rickster about these pianos: Certain retailers that sold them (and a few industry participants here) were making an awful lot of noise and hype about the brand. I got to see a few back then...and even gave a half masterclass/recital on one at an institution (who knows how well it was kept) and I was scratching my head to find what all the fuss was about. Was it suddenly better with additional prep work at a better dealer? [dealers in that metro at the time were, with few exceptions, not particularly prep or service oriented]

In the years since this initial impression I played more and more of them, and it has been my opinion that the new ones kept improving in musical quality from year to year, to the point that they're one of my favorite Chinese-built grands. It's one of the things that's tough to gauge when you only get to try one model, or only get to try a piano at one moment in time - one's impression is the "landed" quality of a Brand X piano is what you experience at that moment, while the reality is emerging makers may be making changes that improve the same models incrementally from year to year...or are taking cost-cutting steps with suppliers and quality control that makes them worse.

As has been mentioned here before, toughest of all is to predict how pianos will fare over time and use. Not unlike auto-industry publications, it would be fun if we could somehow do "Long Term Tests" of new pianos at PianoBuyer. I could think of a practice room or two we could use to get a decade's worth of home use on a piano in a year...now I'd just have to figure out how not to have the students eat or drink anything in the room, or scratch up the music desk with spiral notebooks, etc.!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
[]
. Two of the Brodmann models over 6' were listed as staff picks in the PB, so some reviewers really liked the piano.
Alas, one thing that no reviewer has the time to discover is the long term reliability of the instrument, the original topic of the thread. Will it fall apart in five years? How could you tell?
True, but out of the hundreds or thousands of Brodmann pianos sold we have one person saying the piano had problems holding up. It could be an outlier piano or extreme amount of playing, or poor conditions for the piano, or...? The piano was also from the early years of Brodmann's introduction and almost all pianos have things that need to be worked out at the beginning of their production. Hardly enough to form a valid opinion.

There was a run of Boesendorfer pianos where numerous treble strings were breaking. I know this from my tech who worked on one of those pianos. Should we conclude that Boesendorfer pianos are poor?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/21/17 11:41 AM.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
[]
. Two of the Brodmann models over 6' were listed as staff picks in the PB, so some reviewers really liked the piano.
Alas, one thing that no reviewer has the time to discover is the long term reliability of the instrument, the original topic of the thread. Will it fall apart in five years? How could you tell?
True, but out of the hundreds or thousands of Brodmann pianos sold we have one person saying the piano had problems holding up. It could be an outlier piano or extreme amount of playing, or poor conditions for the piano, or...? The piano was also from the early years of Brodmann's introduction and almost all pianos have things that need to be worked out at the beginning of their production. Hardly enough to form a valid opinion.

There was a run of Boesendorfer pianos where numerous treble strings were breaking. I know this from my tech who worked on one of those pianos. Should we conclude that Boesendorfer pianos are poor?

This is why I'm being very careful not to say that all Brodmann pianos are problematic.

However, what I will say is that in general I find the Hailun pianos to be more robust. I know of a few of these pianos in high pressure situations (conservatoires and schools) and while ANY piano (including the 2001 Bösendorfer in the school where I teach) will not sound its best after years in an institution, at least not without serious servicing and replacement of certain parts, they hold out very well. They're not my favourite sounding piano, but they are good. They have good actions, they have a very nice and useable tone, and they're pretty responsive.

The situation in the UK with Brodmann is that the previous managers (who are now nothing to do with Brodmann at all, and in fact I believe that Brodmann UK folded in 2012) annoyed a lot of dealers and weren't providing a good after-sales service, which has led to no dealer in the UK touching the brand, so it's not possible to buy a new Brodmann piano here anymore and hasn't been since Chris Venables stopped carrying the brand a few years back (he now carries his own brand to cater to that end of the market). From what I hear on this forum the new Brodmann team is quite different and really going out to prove themselves in the industry.

For the record - there are some batches of pianos over the years from a few makers that have been problematic. Bösendorfer sent some awful pianos over here in the 1980s, cleaned up their act, and then sent some bad ones over again around 2000-2005. Steinway went through a bit of a weird experimental phase in Hamburg when they got new software to help with the action design, and some of the pianos from around 2008-2011 played like trucks (I can tell you from a Steinway tech whom I will not name that Mitsuko Uchida herself kicked up such a stink at Steinways about it that they were forced to go back to the drawing board - she threatened to switch brands in concert). Kawai in the 1980s produced some horrible pianos simply because they were going through a transitional phase with the action type, and they used some bad wire. The instruments were recalled although some slipped through the net and have remained in service (albeit playing terribly), but new Kawais - from around the late 1990s onwards can be absolutely beautiful instruments.

I also know of the odd bad instrument that has popped out of Yamaha, although to be honest that's a bit of a rarity, and let's not forget Blüthner who went through 30 years of communist control and produced some absolutely horrendous instruments (and, surprisingly some very beautiful instruments in that time). Blüthner have also had some problems over the more recent years with instruments voiced way too brightly, actions not properly set up, and pianos that have a lacklustre sound no matter what servicing was done. It happens. No maker is perfect and every maker will have low points in their careers.

One truth that does keep cropping up on this forum is that yes, you get good brands and not so good brands, but the individual piano is what it comes down to in the end.

YAMAHA Artist
B
BDB Offline
B
Or it may boil down to that it is better to shop for a good technician than a good piano.

Semipro Tech
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB
Or it may boil down to that it is better to shop for a good technician than a good piano.

It is probably better to shop for both. A good piano with a bad technician of course will never play well, but a bad piano with a good technician is still pretty limited.

YAMAHA Artist
B
BDB Offline
B
If you get a good technician first, you are not likely to get a bad piano.

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by joe80
This is why I'm being very careful not to say that all Brodmann pianos are problematic.
I understand. My remarks were only addressed to any who concluded based on your posts that Brodmann pianos were universally and presently deficient.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB
If you get a good technician first, you are not likely to get a bad piano.

Good point..... I was thinking from the point of view of already having bought a piano and hoping the technician could work a miracle. A good tech can take it quite far but silk purses and pig's ears and all....

Originally Posted by joe80
I understand. My remarks were only addressed to any who concluded based on your posts that Brodmann pianos were universally and presently deficient.

Got it.

YAMAHA Artist
The basic point is that every piano I know can and will significantly improve if getting not just "good" but superior service. We just sold a certain grand to a local teacher who chose one particular piano from our floor after trying several others. It's not always going this way but in this case it did. Knowing how good a player our customer was and since piano was also going out of town, I saw fit to hire a local top tech who spend approx 5 hours to bring piano to absolutely top condition. When the piano was delivered later, the new owner was so perplexed he thought it was an entirely different one. Of course it was not.
But the difference he claimed, was significant. Fact is that these type improvements can be seen and appreciated from any level including from low to high. Often almost regardless of make.
Of course there's more to it. But also very much the an essential and consistent truth behind any fine sounding piano. Those are the facts.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 09/21/17 07:50 PM.

L
L
@Dara Hi may I know the (range of) serial number of your 2010 Brodmann PE 187? Someone is selling a used Brodmann of the same model, and tells me it is a 2010 piano.
I cannot find out any listing of serial number for Brodmann anywhere on the Internet to ascertain what year the piano was made.

"Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue."
-- Plato

"When you play, never mind who listens to you."
-- Robert Schumann
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
An old thread resurrected! There doesn't seem to be a list of Brodmann serial numbers but the way it seemed to work was they had the model number and then 7 or 8 digits IIRC. So mine was something like 187 0001172 or something, and that piano was from 2007. Strangely, I've seen later models with lower numbers, so I wonder if they just had a list of numbers between 1000 and 3000 or something and they put them out randomly.

YAMAHA Artist
L
L
@josephfleetwood. Thanks for sharing some info. It'd be very strange / weird if any company randomly serialized their products! By the way, I'm no longer interested in the product, so no need to look up further.

"Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue."
-- Plato

"When you play, never mind who listens to you."
-- Robert Schumann
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission