Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Tuning a Piano
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
82 registered members (Beakybird, ando, Bambers, alfredo capurso, Achilleas, 24 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2676681 - 09/21/17 07:13 AM Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules  
TripleSharp Online content
TripleSharp  Online Content

This post (and thought) resulted from an arrangement of the pop-jazz classic in the following link I came across on the youtube:

https://youtu.be/YmaIlOx_1es

At the 16th second on the video, the pianist plays an unusual voicing: G-F-Bb-F#. Some sheets of the song give that chord as Gm6 (implying the first mode of the G melodic minor: Gmin(maj7)) while some show Gm7 there, but changing the melody note to F natural accordingly. While it’s unfitting to the general harmonic context of the piece (including F, F# and G in the same voicing as if Shostakovich was arranging some wind section), in terms of theory as it would be well-known, in either chord choice, one of the “F and F#” is a “wrong note”. Note: It did not happen accidentally, as proven by exact repetitions when the same chord comes over and over throughout the piece. An out-of-context explanation could be a simplified voicing of the polychord Bb+/Gm7, considering that a D is strongly implied around that point. Perhaps (and I hope) the pianist is a member of the forum, and posts a response.

What I also found intriguing was that a dissonance that in theory should sound too harsh, was almost acceptable with a softer-than-expected and somewhat bluesy effect.

Tempted with the many discussions going on about the personal choices on the tones of various piano brands, models, modules, etc, I wrote down what he exactly plays in a few bars around that point, in an attempt to find out how it would sound when played on a piano other than the Yamaha grand on the video. I sent it via midi, including the pedalling, to TruePianos soft synth. The result has been interesting: with the sub-settings at their defaults, it had a similar effect with Atlantis, Emerald, and Amber modules, but was definitely unacceptable with Sapphire, Diamond, and SapphirePed. I even lowered the velocity of F natural, again unbearable with the same modules. The performer would not be able to play it like that on a piano with a timbre close to those modules and publish it on the youtube.

Now, this would not be so surprising if tested among, for instance, oboe, French horn and piano, but… among various piano modules? Considering the example is just one of the endless possibilities of harmonic experimentation, I think this suggests that the choice of a particular piano tone can have more crucial consequences than being —subjectively(?)— pleasant to your taste. After all, some content is applicable to one and not applicable to another. (I wonder how this would go with various real acoustic piano brands.) I would like to hear about your thoughts.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2676705 - 09/21/17 09:48 AM Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: TripleSharp]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
Perhaps those sorts of clashes happen more than you'd think in popular songs. I think the simplest explanation is that the voice is following one path - the melody - and the accompaniment has its own very compelling path which is a harmonic progression. I suppose that is stating the obvious smile but my point is this:

As the melody ascends from f# and returns to the same note, the'light & shade' harmony contains a line which is in downward counterpoint (to the melody). The upshot of which is that, at the precise point you mention, the voice is returning to f# while the accompaniment is playing essentially a G minor 7 (which must, of course include an F natural).

That's ok when one element is part of a piano chord and the other, a human voice. But, as is the case here, when both melody and harmony are played on the same instrument, the clash becomes much more obvious - though it's really nicely played in that clip.

I'm sure the specific overtone identities (timbre) of some pianos are going to make that clash far more jagged than others, hence the results of your experiment. Though I think it's mostly down to the skill of the pianist to give the notes thier due weights and durations to make it sound good.

Last edited by toddy; 09/21/17 10:26 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck
#2676769 - 09/21/17 01:29 PM Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: toddy]  

It's obvious of course that the descending minor seventh in the left hand is treated separately, but as you stated already, when all voices are to be sounded by piano, clashes are more pronounced. It is not a "passing chord" within the harmonic rhythm of the piece as well. It was not needed (the f could be replaced by e for example) and should not have been done within that context. But it "could" be done, because the timbre of Yamaha permitted it to sound "relatively" easy to be tolerated. (I hope I don't sound like advertising Yamaha!)

I think if you can try it yourself, you will agree that it is not a mild but a striking difference with those three out of the TruePianos modules which I categorized as unacceptable to sound that voicing.

For the sake of not missing the point I tried to emphasize in my post: the result of my experiment indeed suggests that there is not much for a skilled pianist to do to play those dissonances convincingly at some pianos with certain timbral qualities. The timbre of your piano may be limiting the possibilities of what you can play! Which makes me wonder how different piano brands weigh in according to such a criterion, for example.

#2676777 - 09/21/17 01:54 PM Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: TripleSharp]  
toddy Online content
2000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Portugal
I don't have Truekeys. But it is curious that you find the Yamaha more tolerant of the dissonance because they are often characterised as 'bright' which would imply more overtone content in relation to the fundamental note.......relatively more partials to clash against each other. But these things often turn out more complicated than simple theory might imply.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Focusrite Saffire 24
W7, i7 4770, 16GB / Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2676850 - 09/21/17 06:38 PM Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: toddy]  

Originally Posted by toddy
I don't have Truekeys. But it is curious that you find the Yamaha more tolerant of the dissonance because they are often characterised as 'bright' which would imply more overtone content in relation to the fundamental note.......relatively more partials to clash against each other. But these things often turn out more complicated than simple theory might imply.

In fact, I didn't have a chance to try it on an acoustic other than what is heard on the video with the acoustic Yamaha. (My acoustic is far away atm.) I tested with the TruePianos modules and also on a Yamaha clavinova at the office; the digital Yamaha had a similar result with the acoustic on the recording. My new Roland also hasn't arrived yet.

If your brightness approach is right, other real acoustics might not pose limitations at all, but it would be good to hear some evidence.

#2677116 - Yesterday at 03:17 AM Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: TripleSharp]  
eclectic Offline
eclectic  Offline

San Francisco Bay area, Califo...
IMO it's a garden variety jazz chord. And any piano that doesn't sound good playing it is automatically a problem piano.

Probably the problem is not with the piano at all. You have to roll the spooky augmented triad a little in the right hand, while at the same time you need to project your hound dog eyes onto the left.

I am pretty sure that is not only how Billy Joel turned "you never let me down before" into a signature moment, it's also how Gershwin handled a similar chord in the ragtime section of I Got Rhythm decades ago, and also how Steely Dan did likewise a few years before Billy Joel did, on the words "major dude" in the song of that name.

The chord is not particularly dissonant to my ear. There's weird stuff in classical music too. And I suppose theory wise anything goes in piano for film and TV.

Last edited by eclectic; Yesterday at 04:28 AM. Reason: clarification and corrections
#2677388 - 20 minutes ago Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: eclectic]  

Thank you for your contribution.
Originally Posted by eclectic
The chord is not particularly dissonant to my ear. There's weird stuff in classical music too. And I suppose theory wise anything goes in piano for film and TV.

I hear you:) Actually, the weird thing about my quite simple example is, when you take it separately, the voicing (which also doesn't count as a passing chord when analyzed) suggests a rather biting dissonance with its ingredient semitones not even aligned as all major seventh intervals instead of including one 13-semitone interval between f and f#. But (I think) the f# is perceived as a temporary foreign note specifically in the continuation of the song, which in turn makes us perceive the dissonance lighter.

About your examples, if I'm not mistaken, at that position between melodic lines containing f#, Billy Joel sings f-e-d (not f#) when saying "le-et me", and in the Gershwin example you are referring to a passing chord I guess. I'm not familiar with the third one; I listened to but I couldn't be sure what to catch with "major dude".

Meanwhile, my new FP-90 has arrived and I could test its pianos with the voicing (to check if they were "problem pianos" according to your definition wink ); I was glad to find nothing as disturbing as the soft modules I had listed before, though some tones, expectedly, could not handle it as easily as the rest, including especially the ones whose names begin with "bright".

#2677393 - 2 minutes ago Re: Feasibility of content vs piano brands or modules [Re: TripleSharp]  
Charles Cohen Online content
3000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by TripleSharp
Thank you for your contribution.
[quote=eclectic]
. . .
Meanwhile, my new FP-90 has arrived and I could test its pianos with the voicing (to check if they were "problem pianos" according to your definition wink ); I was glad to find nothing as disturbing as the soft modules I had listed before, though some tones, expectedly, could not handle it as easily as the rest, including especially the ones whose names begin with "bright".

Since "dissonance" is largely caused by frequency mis-matches in the harmonics of the notes in a chord, and "Bright" means that the harmonics have higher volume (as compared to not-"Bright"), that makes perfect sense.

It's nice when what you hear, matches up with what theory predicts.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Double crowned sounding board
by Davepost. 09/24/17 09:04 AM
SSD for samples, NTFS or FAT32
by stamkorg. 09/24/17 07:19 AM
K 545 Trills
by Qazsedcft. 09/23/17 11:04 PM
ES8, what I will miss the most
by EVC2017. 09/23/17 08:06 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,001
Posts2,659,787
Members88,883
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission