Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
137 registered members (Alex C, AZNpiano, amad23, Animisha, akc42, anotherscott, Artur Gajewski, 15shoes, 33 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trying to silence a noisy Casio action #2675877
09/17/17 02:04 PM
09/17/17 02:04 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
I had a look at reducing some of the key noise in my old worn out Privia PX-800. AFAIK it's a 2007 model, sold as new in 2009 and I got it as used, so don't know the total "mileage".

At least one problem seems to be an increased gap where the key meets the hammer. I wrapped some teflon tape/PTFE tape/water blocking tape around the white keys' bottoms to fix this and compressed it with a flat head screw driver inside the hole:

[Linked Image]

I captured some video during the process and probably won't be doing any fancy editing, so here's some raw footage.

Before:

There are many ways in which the action can make noises. The hammer hitting the so called "felt strip" (I don't know what Casio uses) is not an issue in my case. A "thump" is acceptable. The keys bounce quite much when returning and there's some plasticky rattle included. And then there's a clacking noise in some keys when tapping them gently but not pressing down.

Trying out a window seal strip fix suggested on Casio Forums:

In my model there's originally nothing between the keys and the metal rail above them. (The one with the label texts.) The white strip is a 1.5 layers of D shaped window seal strip. It has some effect on the key return bounce and rattle. Too much of it could obviously affect the key return speed and ruin the piano.

Here I've treated the G key with some teflon tape:

It was one of the noisiest keys when returning up along with the A key next to it.

Removing a white key:

The camera angle isn't good. Basically I'm using a screw driver to push the back of the key upwards and twisting the plastic tabs on both sides of the key to release it.

This is where and how the key and the hammer meet each other:

There's some constant rubbing in use. And apparently some lubricant too, but probably the black plastic nubs wear out in use over time.

Inserting a white key:

Align the front part of the key and the hammer first and then press the back of the key down until it snaps into place.

More of that clacking noise when tapping gently:

Too much teflon tape will ruin the key return:

Just take some off until the key works properly.

After the "repair":

There's some improvement and also some noises left. And it's probably only a temporary fix. I didn't tweak any of the black keys.

Bonus photo - The key dimensions in centimeters:

[Linked Image]

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2675890
09/17/17 03:01 PM
09/17/17 03:01 PM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A

Sydney, Australia
Very nice job. How long did it take you to fix all the keys. Is this the same action with the newer models PX160, PX760, PX860, etc?

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite
Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2675909
09/17/17 05:27 PM
09/17/17 05:27 PM
S
Snail Offline
Snail  Offline
S

A few days ago I watched a video of a 2 million dollars Fisk church organ being played and making so much key noises as a bunch of the crapiest digiltal pianos put together, so I think that is something we must accept as it is. Anyway thanks for de videos, they are very instructional.

Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2675929
09/17/17 08:02 PM
09/17/17 08:02 PM
Canada
Tone Deaf Offline
Tone Deaf  Offline

Canada

Thanks for taking the time to video your "repair" attempts of the PX-800. I thought I was the only one with such a hideous sounding dp. My PX-800, bought new in 2010 developed the same noises as yours after ~2.5 yrs. of light use, about 1 -1.5 hrs daily. It got to the point my family asked me NOT to use the headphones as the on board speakers helped to mask the noises that could be heard through out the whole house. Casio's solution was for me to disassemble Whole the dp and haul the Whole unit to a repair "centre" or they could send "someone" out at $60 per hour to look at, even though I had a 3 yr. warranty.

I did neither. Instead I bought the new Kawai CA67 and to date with daily use ~2.5 -3 hrs., I have had no problems...knock on wood. I still have the PX-800 because I'm too embarassed to sell it for money or give it away. Think I will open it up and using your great videos do a bit of "surgery", I have nothing to lose.

@Snail, I beg to differ with you; noisy, cheaply assembled action that thuds, clunks and is wobblely every which way does nothing entice one to practice or play of fun. No, we do not have to accept that.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2675947
09/17/17 09:56 PM
09/17/17 09:56 PM
B
Beakybird Offline
500 Post Club Member
Beakybird  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

My noisy Casio PX-160 was under warranty. I brought it to a repair center 30 minutes from home. In the meantime, I bought the much superior Roland FP-90. After 1 month, I picked up the repaired keyboard, and the receptionist told me that they had changed the whole keyboard mechanism.

Hopefully for Casio fans, their new generation of keyboards will not become so noisy after sustained play.

I also thank our Finnish friend for posting the video.

Roland FP-90; Yamaha MX49; Pianoteq 5 + most add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X; Focusrite Saffire 2i2; For performing: Yamaha PSR-S970; FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic.
Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2675952
09/17/17 10:05 PM
09/17/17 10:05 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Wow, these Casio keys are really short. How do they play at the position marked with "14" on your scale?

Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7605
Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2676093
09/18/17 02:12 PM
09/18/17 02:12 PM
Finland
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
I don't remember how many of the white keys I treated. Probably most of them.

It's quite time consuming and also sort of a vicious circle: First you start with the worst key and once that is nice and quiet, then all the others seem noisy. I spent several hours on it and of course opening up the device is a bit of a hassle. The key cover gets in the way etc.

I know the spare part codes for the hammers are different for newer models, so there are some differences, but I guess the basic design hasn't changed much and they have mainly just added the third sensor and the ivory feel finish.

I'm not very technically skilled at piano playing and haven't compared with other digitals or acoustics, but I can say that I of course feel a difference when playing near the end of the key. It's possible to have dynamics and play either soft or loud, but it's definitely not so easy near the "fall board". Somebody used to "proper" pianos would probably be put off by it.

Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2676115
09/18/17 03:40 PM
09/18/17 03:40 PM
UK
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lolatu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Very good job OP. You could probably alternatively use a PTFE sheet cut to shape and secured with double-sided tape, as I did for fixing slow keys on the CA-95. Might have lower friction than plumbing tape, which is primarily designed for its inertness rather than its frictionlessness. But it looks like you're sticking it directly to plastic, so maybe the friction is not so important in this case.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2676137
09/18/17 05:18 PM
09/18/17 05:18 PM
Europe
J
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Europe
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
I'm not very technically skilled at piano playing and haven't compared with other digitals or acoustics, but I can say that I of course feel a difference when playing near the end of the key. It's possible to have dynamics and play either soft or loud, but it's definitely not so easy near the "fall board". Somebody used to "proper" pianos would probably be put off by it.

The issue has not much to do with technical skill, it's more one of anatomy. I you happen to have to short thumbs and long fingers, you play near the fall board, especially once you climb up the black keys for octaves. Sometimes manufacturers manage to offer good control even with shorter keys (my ES100 doesn't have the longest keys either), other digital actions are hard to play further to the back of the keys.

Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7605
Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2676279
09/19/17 11:21 AM
09/19/17 11:21 AM
Finland
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
PTFE sheet with double-sided tape might be too thick. I used typically maybe 20 cm or 8 inch of the teflon tape, it wrapped around the key several times and it's really thin stuff. And like said, anything too thick will ruin the key return. But experimenting is never a bad idea as long as it's something you can still take off. There's no glue involved with the PTFE tape as it clings to itself pretty well. But you'll end up with some of the lubricating grease on your fingers. smile

Re: Trying to silence a noisy Casio action [Re: clothearednincompo] #2676365
09/19/17 06:15 PM
09/19/17 06:15 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
If anyone wants to replace the felt in a Casio action, there's a thread here that might be interesting:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6597-px-350-keyboard-mod-success-at-last/

It's a step-by-step instruction manual on how to do the job.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time for first tuning?
by mackguy. 01/17/19 12:47 PM
Chickering Manufactured by Baldwin Mid 1990's
by Leslie C. 01/17/19 12:40 PM
Kawai CA63
by Bibster. 01/17/19 12:19 PM
Supplementing Faber Adult AIO Book 1?
by pianotimo. 01/17/19 09:54 AM
Pianoteq 6.4 - revoiced Steinway D, B and K2
by Groove On. 01/17/19 09:03 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,624
Posts2,782,828
Members92,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission