2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (AlphaBravoCharlie, computerpro3, chopinetto, anotherscott, Bill McKaig,RPT, Animisha, aliaksej, Abdol, Buzz209, 16 invisible), 469 guests, and 393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
#2675603 09/16/17 03:56 AM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
I'm pretty new to piano. I bought a Juno DS88 a few months ago and a double brace pro-line stand.

I use a computer chair to play since I thought the back rest would be nice. But since the computer chair is so deep, to even reach the back rest, my legs can't touch the floor (the chair has to be at max height to reach the pro-line stands lowest setting.

So, I end up having to just sit at the very edge of this rolling seat, and it's very uncomfortable. I can't really do more than 15 minutes or so before my back aches, and I need to take a break.

I decided I should invest in a proper chair. I went to GC and asked them what they recommend in terms of piano bench. They said that anything will suit me fine since I'm a beginner, but one with cushion is probably best.

However, they also told me that an even better option would be to go for a drum throne. They are shallow, usually height adjustable, have lower back rests, and are pretty comfortable considering how much drummers move around.

So I wanted to ask you guys/gals since I don't see too many forum posts about this.

Do you guys recommend drum thrones for piano? Or is a piano bench usually the better choice?

Thank you for any and all advice! smile

p.s. I found a Roc N Soc Lunar throne for a good price. For a similar priced piano bench I'd be able to get a Pro-line piano bench or something nice second hand.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675613 09/16/17 06:04 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,493
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,493
For home piano practice I use an expensive office chair with no arms.

On jobs, I have a drum throne (with no back support). Drum throne

Ikea offers inexpensive office chairs that you might like. I'm older and have more disposable income so the cost factor is not a big deal.


website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675624 09/16/17 08:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,592
S
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,592
I've used a drum throne in the past. It worked for me, can roll from one end to the other wink now I use a chair from IKEA.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675636 09/16/17 10:08 AM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,811
C
5000 Post Club Member
Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,811
I bought a Roc'n'Soc seat ("motorcycle" style, like the Lunar), and mounted it on the base of a rolling office chair. It works fine for piano. The height adjustment comes from a gas cylinder in the old base.

I think a used Lunar would be a good bet.

Note that it _doesn't_ support your back. You'll either develop better posture, or you'll add a Roc'n'Soc backrest to it for support.


. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675641 09/16/17 10:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,626
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,626
Drum thrones. The affordable, comfortable, infinitely height adjustable, twist and turntable, with and without backpable piano bench alternatable spot to place your arse. I love them. Great pick. The comfier the better though - rocnsoc are great.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675644 09/16/17 10:59 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,421
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,421
Thanks for the suggestion Charles. The Roc-N-Soc site offers options like wheels and a choice of Gas or threaded height adjustment.

I have a drum throne without wheels and that is not too convenient for upper & lower registers. My seat is probably a bit too soft also.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
newer player #2675751 09/16/17 09:53 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
For home piano practice I use an expensive office chair with no arms.

On jobs, I have a drum throne (with no back support). Drum throne

Ikea offers inexpensive office chairs that you might like. I'm older and have more disposable income so the cost factor is not a big deal.


Since I'm using an good quality office/computer chair right now, wouldn't it be the same? Or are Ikea chairs different?

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I bought a Roc'n'Soc seat ("motorcycle" style, like the Lunar), and mounted it on the base of a rolling office chair. It works fine for piano. The height adjustment comes from a gas cylinder in the old base.

I think a used Lunar would be a good bet.

Note that it _doesn't_ support your back. You'll either develop better posture, or you'll add a Roc'n'Soc backrest to it for support.



The one I'm looking at actually includes a back rest! smile

Originally Posted by newer player
Thanks for the suggestion Charles. The Roc-N-Soc site offers options like wheels and a choice of Gas or threaded height adjustment.

I have a drum throne without wheels and that is not too convenient for upper & lower registers. My seat is probably a bit too soft also.


Is too soft not a good thing?

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675756 09/16/17 10:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,040
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,040
I use an office chair as I need the back rest. The drum throne is worth looking into I think.


Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675765 09/16/17 11:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,421
2000 Post Club Member
Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,421
Originally Posted by Bubblejuice
Is too soft not a good thing?


Glad you asked. The issue is that for some reason this throne seems to encourage me to slouch. Tonight I looked a bit more carefully for an explaination:

1- The point where the threaded seat adjustment interfaces with the seat is a bit sloppy. So when I sit on the front of the seat to play, the seat is probably 10 degrees tilted forward. That is a bit by design as keeping that interface loose prevents the hight from changing

2- The foam is extremely high-quality; it is very thick and relatively firm but still has some give at the edges.

Both those factors combined seem to add a bit more forward tilt than a wooden bench would. I think that tilt encourages slouching.

I just tried tighening the bolt on the seat interface; that seems to have helped a lot.

Tomorrow I will stuff something inside that joint to remove the slop and try to figure out a reliable way to lock in the height.

Thanks!

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
newer player #2675781 09/17/17 01:36 AM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by newer player
Originally Posted by Bubblejuice
Is too soft not a good thing?


Glad you asked. The issue is that for some reason this throne seems to encourage me to slouch. Tonight I looked a bit more carefully for an explaination:

1- The point where the threaded seat adjustment interfaces with the seat is a bit sloppy. So when I sit on the front of the seat to play, the seat is probably 10 degrees tilted forward. That is a bit by design as keeping that interface loose prevents the hight from changing

2- The foam is extremely high-quality; it is very thick and relatively firm but still has some give at the edges.

Both those factors combined seem to add a bit more forward tilt than a wooden bench would. I think that tilt encourages slouching.

I just tried tighening the bolt on the seat interface; that seems to have helped a lot.

Tomorrow I will stuff something inside that joint to remove the slop and try to figure out a reliable way to lock in the height.

Thanks!


Oh ok, so if I go the drum throne route, I should make sure it doesn't wobble, that the padding is comfortable but firm, and that it doesn't cause me to lean forward?

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675789 09/17/17 03:56 AM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,922
C
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,922
Just some general thoughts without criticising what's been said so far:

There are an awful lot of various seating options meant specifically for pianos: chairs, benches, stools, with and without backrest, fixed height, mechanically adjustable, hydraulically adjustable, black, white, cherry, classic, contemporary, cheap and squeaky, expensive and quiet etc.

There are also the ones that are close to a drum throne: A round padded or non-padded seat with a threaded height adjustment. At some point those were quite popular (cheap) when (cheap) acoustic uprights were still more popular. Some may rotate (too?) easily and others might be more stiff and stable when sitting on them. I don't like the looks of the currently offered designs. I miss the old ones. Aww....

And pianists don't usually use back rests. Or wheels. They might move their butts along a bench a little bit in some cases, but usually stay somewhere around the middle C.

I have a X-style folding padded bench that's quite comfy. It's wider than my butt and stays in place when playing. Those are quite cheap unless you go for some famous brand like K&M.

As a curiosity this "piano throne" is kind of cool but also expensive:

https://www.thomann.de/fi/km_14092_piano_stool.htm

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675796 09/17/17 05:22 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,493
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,493
Since I'm using an good quality office/computer chair right now, wouldn't it be the same? Or are Ikea chairs different?

There's nothing wrong with using an Ikea office chair, I only mentioned it because of the price. You can spend more than $1500 for an office chair or as little as $50 or so at Ikea. I bought a €40 or €60 Ikea office chair (I forget the price) earlier this year to replace my computer / desk chair.



website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675798 09/17/17 05:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,924
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,924
Originally Posted by Bubblejuice
I'm pretty new to piano. I bought a Juno DS88 a few months ago and a double brace pro-line stand.

I use a computer chair to play since I thought the back rest would be nice. But since the computer chair is so deep, to even reach the back rest, my legs can't touch the floor (the chair has to be at max height to reach the pro-line stands lowest setting.

So, I end up having to just sit at the very edge of this rolling seat, and it's very uncomfortable. I can't really do more than 15 minutes or so before my back aches, and I need to take a break.

I decided I should invest in a proper chair. I went to GC and asked them what they recommend in terms of piano bench. They said that anything will suit me fine since I'm a beginner, but one with cushion is probably best.

However, they also told me that an even better option would be to go for a drum throne. They are shallow, usually height adjustable, have lower back rests, and are pretty comfortable considering how much drummers move around.

So I wanted to ask you guys/gals since I don't see too many forum posts about this.

Do you guys recommend drum thrones for piano? Or is a piano bench usually the better choice?

Thank you for any and all advice! smile

p.s. I found a Roc N Soc Lunar throne for a good price. For a similar priced piano bench I'd be able to get a Pro-line piano bench or something nice second hand.


Fold up piano stools are available. They have the advantage of being 1 and a half feet long, so you feel the need to slide to the left or the right, you won't fall off.

Fold up piano stools


Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675816 09/17/17 08:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 397
B
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
B
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 397
I use a regular height adjustable bench that came 'free' (i.e. already factored into profit margins) with the piano.

Drum thrones seem fine but I'm not sure they offer any specific advantages. You basically seem to replace the additional sitting width with turning instead. I think I'd find that degree of freedom in movement irritating myself but I'd imagine that's mostly a what you're used to thing.

I'm not sure a back provides any value either unless there is a specific medical need for one.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675819 09/17/17 10:05 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 202
H
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
H
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 202
I find a doctors stool to be better as they have 5 legs , way more adjustable in height, made to withstand more weight, and are available w adjustable handle or kind that spins up or down . I have the latter as it also serves as guitar stool. Suggest a temperpeudic cushion. Never get sore.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675820 09/17/17 10:14 AM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,845
G
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,845
Plenty of people use office chairs. Plenty of people also learn via Synthesia today. If it's what you have, yeah it's a seat you can sit on it. But if you spring for a piano bench (they can be $10-30 used) you get@ bit more lateral support and you can shift your position when playing high and low. No it's generally not a huge deal for anyone who is asking the question.


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2675945 09/17/17 10:48 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
So, it turns out that before I committed to buying another seat, I thought I would try one more trick. I put a small firm pillow behind me.

It takes up about half the seat.

I sit as far back as I can until the pillow starts providing lower back support, and Voila!, no more back pain and just the right position for my feet to lay flat on the floor.

Thank you everyone for your great answers and advice! Next time I have to look for a seat, I'll definitely reference this thread. smile

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2676316 09/19/17 03:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,144
H
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,144
switching to a drum throne (mine has an orthopaedic split seat and thick memory foam) virtually eliminated my sore lower back after practicing.

Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
Bubblejuice #2676410 09/19/17 09:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 169
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 169
Gigging keyboardist here. Drum thrones rock. Don't go cheap, you'll be happy after four hours smile


Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
Re: Using a Drum Throne for Practice?
cphollis #2676466 09/20/17 05:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,493
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,493
Originally Posted by cphollis
Gigging keyboardist here. Drum thrones rock. Don't go cheap, you'll be happy after four hours smile


I think the important phrase here is ... don't go cheap.

If you make a smart choice, you'll have a well designed, well constructed piece of equipment that might outlast the player.


website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music is so much more than most know
by Sebs - 09/26/20 01:26 AM
Technical exercises to accompany Bach Invention No 1
by AxelAxelAxel! - 09/26/20 01:18 AM
HELP KAWAI MR240 sound issue
by Danielares - 09/25/20 11:01 PM
Recording your piano
by ZoeCalgary - 09/25/20 10:53 PM
Help deciding on a tablet for a new Yamaha CLP
by GreatShowmanChopin - 09/25/20 09:32 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,827
Posts3,007,057
Members98,666
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4