2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (Bett, ambrozy, 8ude, ChadUK, AWilley, Beowulf, CharlesXX, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 568 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Which DP could play Pianoteq best?
MacMacMac #2675442 09/15/17 07:58 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Cheaper, yes. But my living room demands a console. Yes, it costs extra money. That's life.

It costs extra money, it also sounds worse, is more inflexible and might have latency problems etc.

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004, Kawai MP11 digital piano, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
ADWyatt #2675501 09/15/17 12:26 PM
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
All of the suggestions everyone is making at my request are very sensible, and well worth considering. But it seems that in one way or another there always has to be a fly in the ointment.

A good set of external speakers, and the equipment needed to power them, I think would work perfectly for playing Pianoteq, and all of my problems would be solved. The sky would always be blue and the grass would always be green. Alas, if the sky is always blue then the grass isn't going to stay green for long. Or something like that. Anyway, there are problems for me with that setup. In my 13x13 room I can't think of anywhere to seat good external speakers. In the cavity of the CA65? On both sides of the music holder? One solution sounds bad, and the other looks bad. In my room, which opens out to the living room and kitchen, I have ultra-expensive oak desks and very expensive art works. Quite simply, adding external speakers in my case would be like painting a Rolls Royce in pink, with purple dots. So I'm afraid that isn't an option. As well, by keeping the CA65 I'm still left with only one bland default tone (the Concert Grand) if I decide to use just the piano voices for playing live. But I'd like everyone to know that I deeply appreciate the suggestion.

I'm thinking that there *might* be a sound idea for my particular case, quite different from what I've originally planned. I'm a 68-year-old retiree with a good pension, full insurance, and social security. I don't need to work any longer, but to buy expensive toys--and to get out of the house--I work a few hours every week at Wal-Mart (yecchh!!). Hey, it's a job. And I think 'Bless the Children' when I'm zoning the toy aisle. Oh yes, Lord, bless the children. At any rate, it lets me take home $860 every month, all pure play money. I'm thinking about financing a higher-end DP next April, putting half down immediately, and paying the rest off in about four months. Sounds like a plan. And I think at my age I could keep such a piano for the rest of my life.

The pianos I'm considering right now would include Kawai's replacement for the CS11 (or the CS11 itself), the Yamaha NU1 X, or the Roland LX-17. For feel, tone and the ability to play Pianoteq, I think these might be worth considering. If anyone has experience with any of these models, by all means please feel free to give your opinions.

Thanks to everyone for all the help you've given.

ADWyatt #2675504 09/15/17 12:37 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Out of curiosity, why do you need to play Pianoteq and nothing else? Have you tried it yourself, compared to "bland" sampled sounds or you've been just reading some stuff? Have you tried the Roland's own fully modeled sound in LX-17 for instance if you insist on modeling?

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2675571 09/15/17 07:24 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It requires nice looking speakers, too! smile Mine are pretty good looking.
The laptop takes up lvery ittle room, and the cables are hidden.
The original speakers required no stands, but the add on speakers did. All nice looking, though.

Otthers can (and have) done better. But I've had no wife complaints, so we're good.
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I get the argument about the living room provided you are using the embedded speakers and are happy about that. However most people seem to use external speakers and that already defeats the purpose of the neat looking console piano in the living room because you'll have speakers, cables, possibly stands, a laptop.

ADWyatt #2675588 09/15/17 11:07 PM
M
M
if you want good sound, maybe consider getting good speakers, even if they don't look good. you may adapt, in time to the look.
check these out:

http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/

CyberGene #2675592 09/15/17 11:35 PM
A
ADWyatt Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Out of curiosity, why do you need to play Pianoteq and nothing else? Have you tried it yourself, compared to "bland" sampled sounds or you've been just reading some stuff? Have you tried the Roland's own fully modeled sound in LX-17 for instance if you insist on modeling?

CyberGene, thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts. What I'm looking for is two things: a DP that can play Pianoteq with full fidelity through its speakers, and a higher-end piano than my CA65, which has several superb native piano voices of its own, quite apart from Pianoteq. Sometimes I will want to fire up the computer and play Pianoteq modelled pianos, and sometimes I'll just want to turn on my DP and play its default sampled or modelled voices. Pianoteq has so many superb modelled voices that it becomes fun to play a song with different forms of expression, but sometimes I'll just want to sit down at the keys, turn on the DP and play.

The CA65 is okay I guess, and I try to find various ways of altering the sound of the Concert Grand for certain moods, but YouTube videos give me the impression that 2018 may be a good year to upgrade. I think maybe my best bet is to just be patient for now, and see what happens in the next six months.

Again, thanks for your response.

Last edited by ADWyatt; 09/15/17 11:37 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,643
Members100,187
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission