2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Falsch

When playing the Hammond, I don't really need four sets of drawbars or the black preset keys (I'm no B3 purist), but I'd at least want 3 drawbar sets (upper, lower, bass), two manuals, 20 pedals, and an expression pedal. And of course the stuff such as Chorus, Vibrato, Leslie switch AND a foot swoot switch. (It's baffeling that Nord's C2D doesn't have a foot switch. People are even retro-fitting old Hammonds with one.)

So... organ day? I'm not impressed. There are much better clones around, and a lot of competition for the single manual, single drawbar affair Roland has introduced here.

Falsch,
To be fair, this thing costs under $1000 and weighs 12 pounds. It also has a nice selection of bread and butter sounds (piano, synth, etc) and has some other nice features. I think it's competing more with the Nord Electro than the C2D. Even compared to the electro it's got a lot lacking, but again, the value for the money seems quite high to me. The VR-09 had a lot going for it. It was obviously popular/successful enough to warrant a successor.

Also, FYI you can hook it up to a second keyboard via midi for a 2nd manual. The ipad app shows separate (albeit digital) drawbars for upper and lower manuals and even drawbars for the pedalboard which is an optional extra. So that option is a possibility. You could buy two VR-09B's and the PK9 20 note midi pedalboard/expression pedal for almost $3000 less than a nord C2D with the Nord pedalboard. You'd lose the pipe organ but you'd have a lot of other options that the C2D doesn't have.

With all that said, I'm not sure what the actual improvements are over the predecessor. Roland has done a poor job communicating that. I look forward to seeing some reviews when these things get out in the wild.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EPW
Maybe a new V-Piano Grand not mini Grand. TonyB can upgrade smile

It would be interesting to see what Roland does next with the V-Grand idea. Personally, I still am really enjoying mine. For me, it was the right thing to do - buy once and forget about it and just enjoy playing. I do enjoy watching the parade of new products go by though. smile

Tony

Roland V-Grand
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Glad you're still enjoying the V-Grand.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Dang it. I thought it be fun too see the guesses on the new Roland piano products!

I guess there's no guessing going on here.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EPW
Glad you're still enjoying the V-Grand.

Thanks! smile

Tony

Roland V-Grand
J
J
With the release of FP-60 they eliminated all the drawbacks and inconveniences of FP-30 like: stupid volume control, downward facing speakers, absence of a display, volume control for metronome, different temperaments, audio input, line out, included half-pedal. I should have waited a bit longer and buy FP-60 instead. frown

M
M
Both the HP603 and HP603A feature built-in wireless Bluetooth® MIDI support for working with apps like Roland’s Piano Partner 2 and Piano Designer on your smartphone or tablet.

The HP603A also includes Bluetooth audio support, allowing you to wirelessly stream music from your mobile device through the piano’s integrated sound system.

Not a big update, but could be usefull

Currently: Kawai CN37 / Former: Kawai ES110
Developer of Picto-Selector: www.pictoselector.eu - a freeware tool for visual schedules
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Boring!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"Boring" covers it quite well :))

I see they've introduced an HP601, as a replacement for the HP504. If my deductions are right, it's the same sound engine as the HP50x, not the modelled sounds, with an upgraded action (the PHA50 instead of the PHA4-Premium) and Bluetooth. It may be an interesting buy for somebody looking for a good action in a reasonably priced package to drive VSTs. I expect it to be around 1500 euros, the same as HP504 was. That's 250 more than the VPC1 and you get a nice furniture stand, built in sounds and speakers, to be able to play instantly, bluetooth and other pluses. The extra 250 are well worth it, not to mention that personally, I like the action better than that of the VPC1, and being a console, it gives you the chance to place an LCD and studio monitors on top.

Otherwise, it's not a big upgrade. I was thinking of upgrading the HP504 to get the newer action and modeled sounds (was thinking HP605), but getting pianoteq may be a better investment. The 605 will probably be upgraded next year and the investment is quite high (I'd have to add 1200euros for the 605 or around 800 for the 603A). Any thoughts if it's worth going for a modeled Roland vs pianoteq? (I might look more into this on another thread)

And the RP201 is a great addition to the line-up. I expect it to be very reasonable priced, in which case it will make for a great piano to start on (probably one of the best low-cost options).

A
A
So the only update to the HP line is that they added Bluetooth audio to the bottom product, and added another version with an even weaker speaker setup.

The Future has been Redefined.

Adult beginner, playing since October 2016
Yamaha CLP-645 Soundcloud
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The future will be redefined when the Novus comes out. This piano paired with Pianoteq will be as good as it gets for a while.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoniD
With the release of FP-60 they eliminated all the drawbacks and inconveniences of FP-30...I should have waited a bit longer and buy FP-60 instead. frown

Well, the FP60 will probably be about double the price of the FP30. Weighs over 40 lbs, too (about 5 lbs more than the FP50 it is replacing.... which I think also addressed most of your FP30 complaints?)

L
L
Originally Posted by anotherscott

Well, the FP60 will probably be about double the price of the FP30. Weighs over 40 lbs, too (about 5 lbs more than the FP50 it is replacing.... which I think also addressed most of your FP30 complaints?)

Yep the FP-60 is $1,400. PHA-4 same keyboard as the FP-30. Double the price for extra features. I'm looking learn piano, so the FP-30 may be enough for me. So it's a no brainer for me. If I decide piano is not my bag, I won't lose a large investment. Adorama has had the FP-30 on sale for $499. Probably what I'm getting.

Question: I noticed the FP-60 has 288 polyphony and the FP-30 has 128 polyphony. Would using either as a midi controller have the same polyphony as the keybooard?

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
And here I was hoping that Ronald will introduce real grand action (like nv10) with LX17 sound system and modelled sound!

This 'redefined future' is really under-whelming.

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 09/14/17 11:28 AM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
E
E
Well, Roland still give some existing users something to play with. They will release Piano Partner 2 Version 2.0 by the end of this month. They added remote control, recorder, diary, and multiple user profiles in the new version.

https://www.roland.com/ca/products/piano_partner_2/

Roland already released new firmware for compatible models to support the new Piano Partner 2.

Last edited by eshmh; 09/14/17 08:38 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by labjr
[quote=anotherscott]

Question: I noticed the FP-60 has 288 polyphony and the FP-30 has 128 polyphony. Would using either as a midi controller have the same polyphony as the keybooard?

I stand to be corrected, but in the past the polyphony limit would always be on the board not on the midi software.

However, for beginner piano players it is more likely they'll outgrow the piano before they outgrow 128 notes of polyphony.

B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Dear Roland,

Please make an A88 with the PHA-50 action and with the velocity presets like the Kawaii VPC-1.*

*If not, I will buy a Kawaii VPC-1 or a VPC-2!

L
L
Originally Posted by jamiecw

I stand to be corrected, but in the past the polyphony limit would always be on the board not on the midi software.

However, for beginner piano players it is more likely they'll outgrow the piano before they outgrow 128 notes of polyphony.

So the FP-30 will only transmit 128 notes of polyphony over MIDI?

S
S
The "future redefined" is few more megabytes, a few more polyphony, many more buckaroos! A trifecta of innovation! Mega-ultra-super-natural-processing.

Wait until they find out about those newfangled things called touch screens! Should roll those out about 2025! It's going to ----blow---- -----yo--- ----freakin'---- mind!

The future is bright, Guys! Very bright -- indeed!

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by labjr

. . .

So the FP-30 will only transmit 128 notes of polyphony over MIDI?

PMFJI --

I think that the "polyphony limit" is in the sound generator, _not_ in the keyboard mechanism, or its MIDI output.

The MIDI data stream carries _keystroke_ information. If you hold down the "sustain" pedal (one MIDI message), and run a glissando over the keyboard (88 MIDI messages for "Note On", 88 MIDI messages for "Note off"), and repeat the glissando several times:

. . . the sound generator might be overwhelmed, and exceed its polyphony limit,

. . . but the MIDI datastream won't have any problem keeping up.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission