2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Where ever is heard the discouraging word.

Karl

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have seen several stringing scales on Mason & Hamlin As, at least a couple of plates on similarly sized Knabes and Bösendorfers, so these things change more than one might think. It is amazing how little difference some of the things that you might think are major changes make.

Semipro Tech
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Just read my signature...

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
N
N
It's a bit expensive I'm guessing. need to have a look at the age of the piano and the mat on behind

Ed A. Hall -

I had a few minutes this evening after I came from work (as our twin five year old girls were getting ready for bed) to record as requested Nicolai Orlov's AMPICO 67751 (7-1927) roll recording - on my 2013-era Mason & Hamlin BB via my PianoDisc SilentDriveHD system using a Peter Phillips MIDI emulation - of Chopin's Etude in F, Op.10 No.8. As the speed of reproducing roll playbacks can vary, this recording came out just a tad slower than yours... but it's not too big a difference. The tone of each instrument is indeed quite different between the new-era M&H BB and the Chickering 123. I like both for very different reasons! The Chickering has a lovely "bell-like" ringing tone in the treble that is not heard on any modern era instrument; not surprisingly the BB reproduces the bass with the great character and clarity it is known for. I didn't have time to fuss with mic placement etc - in fact, I just used the built-in mic's of my TASCAM digital recorder. I also wish my piano had been more recently tuned - it was done last January, and is scheduled to be done in the coming month - but this is the best I can provide as a comparison in short order. Enjoy!

Link to SoundCloud:
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.8 in F - Nikolai Orlov, pianist (7-1927)

Link to YouTube:
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.8 in F - Nikolai Orlov, pianist (7-1927)

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkP65I5BsNipAaT6BbTL-A7ibPdOv0DEZ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Jason:

I hope you won't object to me pushing my oar in here - BUT
it seems strange to one who can't abide piano rolls OR Bruce Clark pianos that I should be so utterly smitten by BOTH. As for the tuning, I daresay that none of us have pianos that have survived the Summer with tuning so solid as yours.
Of course, it's impossible to know much about Orlov's playing from this other than the obvious: a beautiful, totally lyric, caressing tone, allied with a, for want of a better word, GRACIOUS style of music-making; the clarity and superb pedaling combing to achieve a kind-of ideal, at least from my vantage point. Sad to say, yet another example of a way of playing, a general approach that seems to have gone out of this present age.

Have to say that your BB is a gorgeous piano, especially when played in such a noble manner.

Thank you very much for posting this. Have you considered doing so in the pianists section ?

Karl Watson

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
wolfgangmeister,

Thanks for posting the recording. It was very interesting to hear the 2 pianos with the same roll. You have a very fine piano and I can most certainly appreciate them both.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission