2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
There’s a new family member to the Yamaha AvantGrand series. The NU1 X. I came across an article in ‘prweb’. Let’s hope the N1 and N2 will soon follow with an X version as well.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/08/prweb14637862.htm

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/nu1x/index.html

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Of interest:

Great sound demands great feel, and the NU1X delivers with a real acoustic upright hammer action that is far more grand-like in its response than that of the NU1, or indeed, of any digital piano on the market today.

It sounds like there isn't a mechanical change to the action, but there are sensor improvements? And I'm assuming they're not claiming that NU1X is more grand-like in its response than the actual AvantGrands?

Speaking of which, I feel the NU1 should really be part of a separate AvantUpright product line, but that doesn't have the same ring to it smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
C
Looks like a spec bump and will replace the NU1. Binaural sampling that's in the N3X and Silent-SH has been added to the NU1X, small tweaks to the action, speakers are up from 160W to 180W, and it's now available in a glossy white finish.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Interesting.. more competition for kawai novus nv10! Very excited to try it out!!

One question: why does Yamaha choose upright action for avantgrand? If there are no strings, wouldn't grand action be better?

Thanks
Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Osho
Interesting.. more competition for kawai novus nv10! Very excited to try it out!!

One question: why does Yamaha choose upright action for avantgrand? If there are no strings, wouldn't grand action be better?

Thanks
Osho

They don't - all Avant Grands have a grand action. The Yamaha NU isn't an Avant Grand - the U refers to Upright.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

They don't - all Avant Grands have a grand action. The Yamaha NU isn't an Avant Grand - the U refers to Upright.

According to the Avant Grand page of Yamaha, the NU1X is an Avand Grand :

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/

(Even if it seems weird to have the Avand Grand name without the grand action.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I was very close to buying a NU1 some time ago but the well known problem of sudden loud notes stopped me. Yamaha has described this is normal in their manual so I need to see whether they have fixed this in the NU1X and this might be my next instrument. I was really impressed with NU1 in the store but I managed to produce this bug without even trying, in the course of regular 10 minutes playing frown

What bothers me though is NU1 was around €4400 if my memory serves me well and the NU1X is more than $7000 and paradoxically they will just replace the US dollar sign with the Euro sign as they usually do although the US dollar is currently very weak compared to the Euro.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/13/17 02:27 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I have an NU1 which I've been very happy with. It has never shown the sudden loud note problem in my playing, but even so it's not clear if they have added the under key sensor that exists on the N1/2/3. One of the videos suggests they have but the specs remain quiet, although the features description talks of improved grand like touch.

Bluetooth is new, but I already have that via the MD BT01.

10 more voices added including VRM enhancements, hmmm, or ho hum, when I can easily get more with my iPad.

Better acoustic projection. I used a sub at one stage, but day to day practice,who cares.

So, I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment based on a just looking at the release information. Would I change my mind after playing the NU1X in person!?

B
B
A lot of marketing bla bla.
As long as there are no facts concerning mechanical or technical changes, I think it's just an upgrade to be up to date.

I just bought my N1 4 weeks ago. I hope they don't update it as well. But this would then explain the good price I paid for it....

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

According to the Avant Grand page of Yamaha, the NU1X is an Avand Grand :

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/

(Even if it seems weird to have the Avand Grand name without the grand action.

Hmmm, you're right, it seems they're fudging their own category now...

This is a new development - prior to the NU1X, the NU1 was not part of the AG lineup. It did not carry the AG tag at all. I think they are bringing it into the fold so that it has a home among a family of similar instruments. Obviously it isn't a grand action, but they clearly have decided that it's close enough - having the same sound engine and features, just with an upright action. When Yamaha began the AG concept, they certainly were pushing the idea that the grand idea was to do with the authentic grand action along with the grand multichannel samples.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Hmmm, you're right, it seems they're fudging their own category now...
............ When Yamaha began the AG concept, they certainly were pushing the idea that the grand idea was to do with the authentic grand action along with the grand multichannel samples.

If they are going to include uprights in the range, they should rebrand the whole series without the word 'grand' in it. In any case, the 'avant' part is daft, outdated and inappropriate. Marketing should put their thinking caps on.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by toddy

If they are going to include uprights in the range, they should rebrand the whole series without the word 'grand' in it. In any case, the 'avant' part is daft, outdated and inappropriate. Marketing should put their thinking caps on.

I think I understand your reasoning based on the AG series having a grand key action. However, to counter, the NU1 already had, and now the NU1X has too and more, some grand voices. Maybe that's their justification? But whatever sells sells and confusion might help!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, that's true, but what about the 'Avant' bit? It's not very good, is it? Japanese marketing departments do better with numbers than names for branding. DX7 sounds pretty good but Avant Grand sounds silly.....like some of the car names: Datsun Cherry, Nisan Sunny, Daihatsu Applause and the Mitsubishi Toppo - they manage to miss the mark somehow, no matter how well designed, engineered and built they may be.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
offtopic, but could this be language dependent or a cultural thing? Since English is not my native language, I don't see anything wrong in Datsun Cherry, Nissan Sunny and Daihatsu Applause smile And as a similar example, the Spanish brand SEAT name their cars after cities. While the actual Spanish city names sound kind of OK to me, it's a common joke theme between me and my friends to come up with some imaginary car names that are after Bulgarian cities because most of Bulgarian city names sound like something very stupid, rural, redneck, etc. laugh Which I guess might not be felt this way by a foreigner...

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/13/17 03:00 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Osho

Thanks
Osho

Thanks. Good to know - I missed that other AvantGrands are real grand actions.

I think this is a bit misleading to call NU series "anything Grand" without the Grand action. Buyer beware!

Osho

Last edited by Osho; 09/13/17 03:51 PM.

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by CyberGene
offtopic, but could this be language dependent or a cultural thing? Since English is not my native language, I don't see anything wrong in Datsun Cherry, Nissan Sunny and Daihatsu Applause smile.

There's nothing wrong with these names exactly. It's just funny because so much investment goes into getting the image right with high profile brands, but your average aspirational car driver in the UK is not going to feel better about himself if he has to tell his friends that he drives a 'Cherry' a 'Sunny' or an 'Applause'. It's all cultural as you say, but those names just sound so wide of the mark. Mind you, Renault were stretching it with 'Twingo' but they got away with it, presumably on the grounds of gallic panache. The British did well to bags Jaguar when they did.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by toddy
The British did well to bags Jaguar when they did.

I await with not-so-bated breath a car (USA = automobile) named after other big cats: A Tiger, a Lion (or Lioness, we mustn't be sexist in PW), a Leopard, an Ocelot, a Cheetah, a Puma, a Cougar.....hold on, the last two have been used.

OK, how about a Chevvy Cat? thumb

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'd be surprised if they hadn't all been used already one way or another in the auto industry. Felines are such an obvious winner: power, form, elegance, streamline, sexiness, danger. Etc.

Feline is a good name: Ford Feline. Could be worth billions.

PS I like Chevy Cat......very chunky, sounds like a line for an urban 4x4........we should go into the image consultancy business. smile

Last edited by toddy; 09/13/17 05:56 PM.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
offtopic, but could this be language dependent or a cultural thing? Since English is not my native language, I don't see anything wrong in Datsun Cherry, Nissan Sunny and Daihatsu Applause smile And as a similar example, the Spanish brand SEAT name their cars after cities. While the actual Spanish city names sound kind of OK to me, it's a common joke theme between me and my friends to come up with some imaginary car names that are after Bulgarian cities because most of Bulgarian city names sound like something very stupid, rural, redneck, etc. laugh Which I guess might not be felt this way by a foreigner...

What's wrong wi British town/place names? Ideal for cars, babies, pianos . . . "Hemel Hempstead Boudoir", (cheap grand) or, "Barrow in Furness Pub Classic " (upright, minus the front panel with a dummy pint of beer and fag end stuck to what remains of the case). . . . . . . .

I won't mention Hampstead Heath . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission