2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2674315 09/10/17 05:50 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi all,

I read somewhere that people like to post their shopping experiences to this forum? I wanted to share mine. I decided last year to make my first big piano investment. My budget was in the 10-20 range. I shopped for about 6 months, trying pianos on craigslist every weekend. I narrowed it down to yamaha pretty early, since I've always loved the clarity of the yamaha sound and the smoothness of the action.

I tried a lot of the C series from the mid 1990s and late 80s, in the 10-15 range, and found many good instruments. I found one 1999 S6 that was absolutely incredible, but the seller got rid of it for 25k...more than I could afford.

I almost purchased a 1986 C5, but chose not to after spotting a small split in the rim (many members of this community weighed in on this issue).

In the end I found a seller with a 1985 s400b. It had been owned by one owner and never moved in all its life. The seller was asking 23k, and we settled on 16k. A technician evaluated the piano and gave it an excellent rating. I have subsequently had it evaluated by a more experienced tech, who pointed out some friction in the action that I hadn't noticed. He voiced it and regulated it, and now it's playing absolutely perfectly.

The tech also points out that the strings are a little old, and the piano is not sounding as clear and resonant as it could. Ideally, he says, I'd invest another 3k in it and get all new strings, and eventually new hammers as well. I plan to do this when I can afford it. For now it's an absolutely wonderful piano and I'm very happy with the purchase.

For shoppers out there looking to get a sense of what a good price is, my tech says even with the aging strings the price of 16k was a bargain. He would have bought it too, he says. This is in southern california (prices vary considerably from market to market).

thanks to everyone in this community that helped me educate myself during this process. I'm really happy with how it turned out and grateful to the community for its support. This is truly what the internet was really supposed to be all about.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new-to-you grand piano! thumb

Post pictures (and a recording:-) when you can.

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Yes, congratulations! There's hardly anything like the feeling of owning a new-to-me/you piano, is there?

Wishing you great enjoyment from this instrument.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The S series Yamaha pianos are awesome instruments. Congrats!

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ashertob

The tech also points out that the strings are a little old, and the piano is not sounding as clear and resonant as it could. Ideally, he says, I'd invest another 3k in it and get all new strings, and eventually new hammers as well. I plan to do this when I can afford it.

Greetings,
Do the hammers first. Strings, unless abused, will often sound the same after 80 years as they sound after 10. The tightness of the bridge pins, and the possible deterioration of the notch's edge are more influential than the age of the wire. There may. be some deformity at the capo, but that is less often the case than bridge damage. I have often replaced a broken string in an old piano,and there is rarely any difference in the sound between the originals and that new one I just installed, so age is not the only criteria for strings. Wound strings can certainly lose their tone with age, but the plain wire. not so surely.
Regards,

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congratulations! I know you're overjoyed with you're new instrument. Enjoy!

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Strings, unless abused, will often sound the same after 80 years as they sound after 10.

+1. Mine are like that. The thing about replacing strings is that when you have them all off, you have access to the bridges, sound board and pin block. So, if the strings are OK, keep them for a while. When you do replace them, make sure the rest of the instrument is as good as the new strings will be.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
T
T
Hi ashertob,

Thanks for sharing the experience.
I want to ask you about the action of your s400b,
is it a lot heavier compared to the new cx series?

Last edited by tirta; 09/11/17 01:43 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
The action was a little on the heavy side when it arrived -- not much, but I did notice it after several hours of practice. My tech explained that this was due to exposure to humidity most likely. Ed Foote has an explanation for heavy action in s400b that he's offered elsewhere on this forum. I'm not sure that was what was going on in piano. But in any case after the tech spent a day with my action it feels really good.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission