2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, 5 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Of course, the answer could easily depend on the passage and there are virtually unlimited examples. But do you think LH octaves should be voiced and, if so, should the bottom or top note be louder? Or is every example different so the answer depends on the passage? Or are the two notes generally played about the same volume? Or will the top note just generally sound louder because it is higher?

R
R
Yea

Last edited by AviChak; 09/09/17 11:09 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by AviChak
Octaves in generally aren't really "voiced". There is no voicing to do if they're both the same note, just an octave apart. In fact, voicing them might actually kill their effect in my opinion.

Octaves should generally be voiced, in either hand.

Especially melodies played in bald octaves, like in the Appassionata (I). No-one worth his salt would ever play those octaves with the same volume - the top notes must be louder. In effect, it is really the tune, supported by the LH.

Octaves in LH are voiced or not depending on context. Generally I'd play the bottom note of LH octaves louder as the 'bass note' - especially if the RH is quite busy. But if the LH octaves are carrying the melody, I'd play the top notes louder.
The only time chords are voiced is if the melody is intertwined within the series of chords (for example, a few chords in section B in Chopin's Sonata 2 second movement, the melody is found within the chord, and different notes are emphasized, while the rest are harmony. Also note that it is not always the higher notes.), and this phenomenon almost always happens in the right hand. Also, for the left hand the lower note will sound louder because it's...well lower.

Chords should almost always be voiced whether or not there are melodies within them. Otherwise you risk sounding like a jazzer, with opaque undefined block sounds all the way. Generally, the inner notes should be slightly softer to give 'air' to the sound.

When playing a series of chords in both hands, the top notes should be prominent (assuming that's where the melody is) and the bottom notes should also be slightly louder, because it is the bass line, and underpins the harmonic progression.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
At the risk of repeating or copying and pasting, let me just say that I'm with bennevis all the way.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Generally, yes, and it varies depending on the passage.

O
O
I would say in fast octave passages never, and in those cases you lead both hands with the thumb. In slower passages it depends on what the music calls for.

Last edited by oldpianoboy; 09/09/17 09:54 PM.
Great question.
And I have the total answer. grin

Yes -- but it's probably not the best idea for most of us to exactly think of it that way.

I remember that when I was working on Schubert's 'slow' A-flat major Impromptu -- i.e. the one from the second set, not the one with the fluttering right hand arpeggios -- I had this bright idea about how to voice the left hand octaves in the closing portion of the middle section. My teacher (Seymour Bernstein) just sort of smiled ever so slightly -- I think he was trying not to be smiling at all -- and said, "Just play nice octaves."

I think the answer is that it depends on who we are -- partly involving 'how good' we are, but also what's our kind of approach to music in general. I think what was behind Seymour's advice to me, and what he was too kind to say, was that I'm not good enough to worry about such things; just do your best in a more general way to play beautifully.

And I think that's the best advice for most of us in general, including people who are "good enough." Yes indeed, it makes a difference how we voice the octaves, bu I have doubts that except for people whose approach routinely involves conscious attention to the voicing of each and every note .....that except for people like that, I have doubts that paying that kind of attention to left hand octaves is an effective way to achieve it. I think the best way for most of us to do it well is just to use our ears and go for the kind of overall sound and impression that we want. I do think it's good to pay occasional attention to it while learning a piece -- and so, I guess, to the extent that the question might be about that, I guess I'm saying YES! ha But I'd say, not much. Mainly just use your ear, and go for the overall sound and impression that you're trying to get.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
....is every example different so the answer depends on the passage?....

Yes. smile

O
O
My childhood teacher recently sent me an email regarding a film about her friend Seymour and movie made about him (it was Seymour Bernstein). I think it must be your teacher. I think play nice octaves isn't a reflection on your playing. I think that is the answer. Listen to what you are doing. If it doesn't sound right, adjust. Voicing octaves except in very few cases seems a little like overkill to me.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Chords should almost always be voiced whether or not there are melodies within them. Otherwise you risk sounding like a jazzer, with opaque undefined block sounds all the way.
Although I agree with most of what you wrote, I don't think this is generally true. Certainly, the great jazz players like Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, and many more voice their chords especially beautifully.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/10/17 09:02 AM.
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Experiment a lot. Sometimes it sounds best (even in the right hand) to emphasize the bottom note of the octave. Then the melody is right in the middle of the treble and the top note gives it a little extra tone color.

Poetry is rhythm

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission