Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
112 registered members (Amedeus, ajames, anamnesis, Almaviva, Agent88, 25 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2673968 - 09/09/17 10:43 AM Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008  
Manil Offline
Manil  Offline

Hello, I'm really new from this forum. I'm planning purchase a grand piano. My budget is between 12k-15k USD. I'm most interested in two pianos: one is M&H model A used condition (1991) and yamaha C3x used condition (2008) on online store. I have no chance to play it. I'd like to ask you all about these 2 brands.
1- Is M&H in this early 1991 worth to buy? Or M&H in golden era 1900 is much better than younger M&H?
2- Between M&H model A and Yamaha C3X, which one is better in term of tone and touch?
3- Are there any brand do you suggest me in my budget range?
In my taste, I like a light touch keyweight because I have owned a Kawai KG3D and I don't like their touch because it seems so heavy. Thanks everyone who answer to my question based on experiences. I appreciate your answer in details.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2673974 - 09/09/17 10:58 AM Re: Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008 [Re: Manil]  
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Manil
Hello, I'm really new from this forum. I'm planning purchase a grand piano. My budget is between 12k-15k USD. I'm most interested in two pianos: one is M&H model A used condition (1991) and yamaha C3x used condition (2008) on online store. I have no chance to play it. [...]

This gives me considerable concern; you are raising a definite red flag. Used pianos sold in a dealership should not only be played before buying, they should be examined by an independent technician. But buying from an on-line store leaves you at considerable risk, in my opinion. You have no indication of the actual condition of either of these pianos, regardless of what might be posted. So, asking opinion on these two brands is relatively meaningless since, in a used piano, condition is more important than general reputation.

I would strongly suggest that you buy a piano - new or used - that you have played and which, in the case of a used instrument, you have had examined by an independent technician.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2673976 - 09/09/17 11:10 AM Re: Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008 [Re: Manil]  
Duke of Dunning Online content
Duke of Dunning  Online Content

Chicago
The questions you are asking are impossible for anyone to answer in a way that is useful. You must try each piano in person. Whatever that piano was when new, it may, or may not be, the same piano today. This is what makes shopping for a piano such an exciting, and frustrating, experience.

With regard to the M&H A, a 1991 model will be from the early period of the "new" post-Aeolian M&H era. some people love these pianos, others hate them. It just points to the need for you to search for the tone and touch that speaks to you.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
Chickering Console (1950s)
Associate Member PTG (Chicago chapter)
#2673992 - 09/09/17 11:57 AM Re: Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008 [Re: Manil]  
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Used piano you can't play or have inspected prior to purchasing = bad idea.
There was no such thing as a Yamaha C3X in 2008. Just the C3.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2673995 - 09/09/17 12:25 PM Re: Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008 [Re: terminaldegree]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
[...]

I believe that this should give the OP some concern about the integrity of the on-line store. A reputable dealer shouldn't make this kind of mistake since, according to what I have read, there are important differences between the older C3 and the newer C3X.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#2674047 - 09/09/17 06:45 PM Re: Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008 [Re: Manil]  
huaidongxi Offline
500 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Manil , are you considering pianos you're not able to personally play or look at because of severe limitations in your accessible piano market ? if that's your situation and you plan to keep your grand with you for any length of time, your best option might be to budget $$ for a piano shopping expedition. planning well ahead you might be able to inspect a number of candidates in one or two trips. if professional or other obligations necessitate travel of course, consider those as potential opportunities to look at pianos. the other variable of course is the cost of moving any piano you find to purchase. some dealers pay for part or all of the moving for purchases in your projected budget range if overland transport is involved.

#2674224 - 09/10/17 11:26 AM Re: Mason&Hamlin model A 1991 versus Yamaha c3x 2008 [Re: BruceD]  
Rich Galassini Offline
Rich Galassini  Offline

Philadelphia/South Jersey
My first thought:

Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Either this dealer knows little about this piano (which is a problem) or they are intentionally making it seem like something else (another separate, and more serious problem).

My best advice is to NOT buy a piano that you cannot play, touch, or examine personally. I have personally fully rebuilt pianos for clients who have done that at websites that claimed all sorts of things (trying not to be specific here) but the bottom line is that photos, and even video can be misleading.

I had a client in Colorado who, after speaking with me, bought a Steinway B from another "rebuilder" from a video. After playing it (or trying to play it) for several months, they then shipped the piano to me and paid $25,000.00 to correct the "rebuild".

i hope that helps,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Check out the Science Channel's "How Its Made" featuring our piano restoration:
http://www.cunninghampiano.com/how-its-made/

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheaper pianos actually sound good
by Dave Horne. 11/21/17 09:38 AM
Piano benches - Stagg, Hercules , etc.
by Dave Ferris. 11/21/17 06:48 AM
Arthritis and Action Adjustments?
by harpsichorder. 11/21/17 05:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,869
Posts2,673,304
Members89,166
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission