2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2673184 09/06/17 12:36 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
It's here!

Pianoteq 6

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
brooster #2673271 09/06/17 04:02 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's alive!

Pianoteq 6 has just been announced. The brief summary of the changes from v5:

• All 49 instruments available in Pianoteq have been overhauled (the pianos, EPs, percussions, etc, including KIVIR).
  • VST3 plugin format support has been added (plugin formats supported in Pianoteq 6: VST2, VST3, AU, AAX (64-bit), LV2).
  • A MIDI playlist is now available.
  • The MIDI auto-recording and archiving is improved and more configurable.
  • The MIDI Mappings feature is more configurable -- MIDI Mapping can now be either global, or preset specific.
  • Audio export in MP3 or FLAC format has been added.
  • New tuning tool (available in Pianoteq Std and Pro only).
    A simple chord detector has been added.
  • The Linux version is now available for ARM architectures.

That last one is interesting:

...the ARM architecture (Linux version only, for example on Raspberry Pi 3 boards)

Click for more

[Linked Image]

brooster #2673273 09/06/17 04:13 PM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
HELP !!!

If I understand it correctly, the upgrade from P v5 to P v6 is free, for anyone who has purchased a Pianoteq product (including an instrument) in the past 3 years.

I can find the "Upgrade to P v6 -- $39" on the Pianoteq website.

BUT I can't find that "free upgrade to P v6" link, anywhere on the Pianoteq website.

. . . Can somebody tell me what they did, to get it?

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
brooster #2673274 09/06/17 04:23 PM
H
H
"I purchased my licence recently. Do I need to pay for the upgrade?
f you purchased and registered your licence after 1 September, 2016, the upgrade to version 6 is free and you can go ahead downloading from the user area to download)."

https://www.pianoteq.com/faq

Instruments: Roland RD-2000 + Roland A-49
Software: REAPER and MuseScore
HSFlik #2673277 09/06/17 04:31 PM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
You're right -- my license to _Pianoteq_ is older than that! And purchasing the Grotrian instrument pack doesn't entitle me to a free upgrade.

Ah well, it's a lot of software for $39 ! <g>

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
ElmerJFudd #2673306 09/06/17 06:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
That last one is interesting:
...the ARM architecture (Linux version only, for example on Raspberry Pi 3 boards)

This is a step in the right direction. It's a good sign that we'll see this on iPad/Android. I like Pianoteq and I will buy it in a heart beat when it's released on a tablet. I just don't want to have to use a laptop every time I wanna play.

(... even then the techie side of my brain is already wondering what's the most efficient and compact way to get video/audio/MIDI out of the raspberry pi.)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
brooster #2673935 09/09/17 06:17 AM
L
Lam Offline
L
Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor Op. 13 by Beethoven
https://youtu.be/sfr8kfnetxk

I had it re-uploaded from the 5.8 Grotrian to the new Pianoteq 6 Steinway D, I haven't had the time to try the other updated models yet though but this was a big improvement from the old Steinway D.

Last edited by Lam; 09/09/17 06:18 AM.
Lam #2673942 09/09/17 09:21 AM
C
C
Really liked the playing.

...and that sounded the best I've heard PT. Have you got a file of the same on 5.8. ... and could you share the fxp file or is this a standard voice (which one)?

Thanks

brooster #2673944 09/09/17 09:27 AM
A
A
Still waiting for the UCA222 before biting the bullet, hopefully next week!

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite |
https://leadingtaxaccountants.com.au/

ArtlessArt #2673972 09/09/17 11:56 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ArtlessArt
Still waiting for the UCA222 before biting the bullet, hopefully next week!

From Wikipedia ....

To "bite the bullet" is to endure a painful or otherwise unpleasant situation that is seen as unavoidable

I think it derives from a time when men had to perform some level of cutting on someone's body in order to repair some physical issue (remove a bullet, cut and suck poison from snake bite, etc ...) .... the patient would bite on something (a bullet ?) to keep from biting their tongue.

Is that what you mean't to convey ?

Last edited by dmd; 09/09/17 12:00 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Lam #2673973 09/09/17 11:57 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lam

I had it re-uploaded from the 5.8 Grotrian to the new Pianoteq 6 Steinway D, I haven't had the time to try the other updated models yet though but this was a big improvement from the old Steinway D.

Knock it out of tune, man! Sounds a tad clinical . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Lam #2673984 09/09/17 12:38 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Lam

Superb playing.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
dmd #2673991 09/09/17 12:52 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by dmd

From Wikipedia ....

To "bite the bullet" is to endure a painful or otherwise unpleasant situation that is seen as unavoidable

I think it derives from a time when men had to perform some level of cutting on someone's body in order to repair some physical issue (remove a bullet, cut and suck poison from snake bite, etc ...) .... the patient would bite on something (a bullet ?) to keep from biting their tongue.

Is that what you mean't to convey ?

Precisely!

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite |
https://leadingtaxaccountants.com.au/

Lam #2674000 09/09/17 01:59 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lam

This is world-class playing! I am very impressed.

BTW, I listened to this through my iPad speakers and this is the first time I can’t detect the sound is coming from Pianoteq. While that could go as a joke, I am actually serious, I used to be able to detect Pianoteq even through cr*ppy speakers but not this time. So the sound must have been improved indeed. Hopefully this improvement can go on so that I won’t be able to detect the modeled artifacts even through high-fidelity speakers/headphones in the future smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/09/17 02:02 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Lam #2674008 09/09/17 02:13 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by Lam

Great control and thoughtful interpretation - what keyboard are you using??

Lam #2674045 09/09/17 07:41 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Lam

Is your "input" to the PT available as a midi file?

brooster #2674067 09/09/17 09:38 PM
Given all the discussion here I thought I'd give a try to Pianoteq 6 Standard, trial version. I've not like Pianoteq before. But it costs nothing to give it a try.

The install was simple and it worked right away. I tried several of the Steinway D and Grotrian variants. I settled on the Steinway Classical.

I had to dial down the volume by 8 dB. And I cut down the reverb setting. The default setting was too wet for my liking.

My objection to v4 and v5 was that the piano sounded like it was in another room, rather than right in front of me. Distant rather than present. I did not get that at all from v6. S'good.

And as usual, Pianoteq is very responsive, which has always been it's strongest virtue.

The highest octaves were a bit tinkly, but tolerable. I don't play the C7 octave much anyway.

The C1 and C2 octaves were a bit thin on bass fundamental, but not objectionably so. The sound was quite natural. Not sure whether there should be a stronger fundamental. Perhaps not. This is, after all, a Steinway, not a Bosendorfer. (Note: I left the EQ at its default setting, which was flat except for a tiny cut at the extreme low end.)

The C3 octave is okay, but it's the C4 and C5 octaves that bother me. The sound there is very thin. It's a shame because this is the meat of most music. An A/B comparison of the Pianoteq Steinway D and the Galaxy Vintage D immediately demonstrated to me the radical difference in character. Vintage D sounds good across the range. But the Pianoteq mids sound thin and artificial.

With the scad of adjustments available, maybe this can be fixed. But I don't know whether that's possible, nor how do accomplish so if it is.

MacMacMac #2674088 09/09/17 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
But I don't know whether that's possible, nor how do accomplish so if it is.

Yes, it's absolutely possible in Pianoteq Pro to customize the piano sound across the entire keyboard, specific ranges, specific notes, or any combination of those, including making the fundamental tone stronger or weaker, any of the partials greater or lesser, changing the inharmonicity, the volume, the hammer hardness (to get more bite, a sharper tone from what may seem like weak octaves or ranges) to change so many aspects of the tone that I can't and don't wish to spend the time to remember, refer to the interface and list.

But you need the Pro version with its Note Edit feature, which, if it were the ONLY difference between the more limited versions of Pianoteq and the Pro Version, would be more than worth the price differential, in my opinion. I use the Note Edit feature, and all of the parameter adjustments available in the main user interface and its sub-windows, all the time. I rarely find a preset instrument that I completely like without any alteration at all, and one of Pianoteq's great strengths, especially in comparison with sampled pianos, is that nearly every aspect of each instrument and even each note of an instrument can be highly customized, in fine-grained and comprehensive detail, in order to suit one's personal taste with little or no compromise.

Pianoteq has improved tremendously in the last several years, and it is well worth a try. It is also very reasonably priced in comparison with many top-tier sampled instruments.

However, it is certainly a personal decision, and discussing the subject here has become somewhat tiring.

Thanks.
I was hoping for a solution. You see, I don't wish to make dozens of adjustments.
I wouldn't know how, and I don't have the patience.
I just want the sound to be fixed (esp. the middle octaves).

I understand that Pianoteq keeps settings for each piano in a separate file.
If someone has a file that fixes the problems I described, can you please offer to share it?
Originally Posted by Stephen_Doonan
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
But I don't know whether that's possible, nor how do accomplish so if it is.

Yes, it's absolutely possible in Pianoteq Pro to customize the piano sound across the entire keyboard, specific ranges, specific notes, or any combination of those, including making the fundamental tone stronger or weaker, any of the partials greater or lesser, changing the inharmonicity, the volume, the hammer hardness (to get more bite, a sharper tone from what may seem like weak octaves or ranges) to change so many aspects of the tone that I can't and don't wish to spend the time to remember, refer to the interface and list.

But you need the Pro version with its Note Edit feature, which, if it were the ONLY difference between the more limited versions of Pianoteq and the Pro Version, would be more than worth the price differential, in my opinion. I use the Note Edit feature, and all of the parameter adjustments available in the main user interface and its sub-windows, all the time. I rarely find a preset instrument that I completely like without any alteration at all, and one of Pianoteq's great strengths, especially in comparison with sampled pianos, is that nearly every aspect of each instrument and even each note of an instrument can be highly customized, in fine-grained and comprehensive detail, in order to suit one's personal taste with little or no compromise.

CyberGene #2674092 09/09/17 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by CyberGene
this is the first time I can’t detect the sound is coming from Pianoteq ... so the sound must have been improved indeed

After everything else you have stated recently on this topic, that grudging compliment just seems insincere and disingenuous.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission