2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 29 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 28 29
dire tonic #2673495 09/07/17 09:31 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Let's just take this example, and I've corrected the terminology:-
Originally Posted by Doug M.
For instance, if you play a note at a velocity mapped to MIDI level 90 (assuming the 14th volume level layer out of 20 starts at MIDI level velocity 90), if you play another note at a velocity mapped to 96, that second note would be the same amplitude (assuming approximately 6 MIDI layers per group velocities per layer).

No, you would have 6 levels of amplitude, one for each of the 6 notes in the layer.

Also, I'd probably need a special instrument to distinguish 127 different volume levels perfectly

"the proof of the pudding.....". To put it another way, where is the lack of expression if you can't discern it with your own ears?

Are you claiming that on your CFX you have 127 levels of amplitude?

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Doug M. #2673496 09/07/17 09:39 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

I can't say with authority that Garritan have provided 127 levels, only that the software could easily cope with that. More to the point, the test I proposed for you would challenge you no less than a library that did effectively provide 127 levels of amplitude out of 20 layers.

dire tonic #2673497 09/07/17 09:51 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I can't say with authority that Garritan have provided 127 levels, only that the software could easily cope with that. More to the point, the test I proposed for you would challenge you no less than a library that did effectively provide 127 levels of amplitude out of 20 layers.

I'm afraid I don't really know enough (do you?) about this interpolation business (especially when you're playing through a controller rather than a MIDI file)? Why claim only 20 velocity layers if in fact you can generate 127 volume levels? What in fact does it matter if you have 4 velocity layers or 90 velocity layers if you can interpolate and still get 127 volume levels (matching the MIDI values)?

The way you could measure is to program one note to play at all MIDI values, then play this through the CFX VST and use some kind of sound level meter to distinguish the decibel reading for each MIDI value played through the CFX VST. I don't have a sound level meter set up for that.

Anyways, to get the discussion moving further than this...
There are many other factors that make Modelled pianos more expressive to play (not just volume levels). I believe this explains why Roland moved from sampling to modelling rather than sticking to the hybrid approach.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Pete14 #2673498 09/07/17 09:53 AM
H
H
I took the MIDI from whatever the top Google result for "classical piano midi" was. smile

My thoughts:

I don't think there is one "right" solution for the perfect piano representation. When you play a piano, you are hearing so many different things: the soundboard resonating with the combined vibrations of all the strings, the depression of the keys, the movements of the hammers, the damper moving up and down, the reflection of the sound off the walls, and even more, I'm sure.

To expect a perfect piano sound to be generated from a stereo setup, is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Think about how massive the "speaker" is on a piano. How can speakers even try to duplicate that, from a physics perspective?

I prefer playing on modeled pianos. Modeled pianos feel more responsive to control. The sympathetic resonance sounds better to me, as well. This is not to say at all, that it sounds like an acoustic piano. It doesn't at all. But, it's a lot of fun.

Whenever I play a sampled piano, I always feel there's something a little left to be desired. Maybe it's because no one records 128 velocity layers, or the sympathetic resonance of every possible combination of keys. It sounds real, but it doesn't feel real to play, like I'm controlling a puppet with strings or something. Some VSTs use "reverb" as sympathetic resonance as well, and it sounds terrible.

That said, I use each for different purposes. If I'm playing live, I'll use a modeled piano, since it's probably a cocktail party or a band gig. If it were a classical gig, they'd probably have a piano there already. If I'm recording solo piano, or for a track with other acoustic instruments, I'll record the MIDI data while playing a modeled piano, and use a sampled piano for the actual track. If it's for a rock / electronic track, then I'll use modeled as realism isn't as important, in my opinion. If I'm practicing at home, it'll be the modeled pianos on the RD-2000 + headphones or studio monitors.

I think there is also a lot to be said about tweaking the keybed to the software. I know we can calibrated them for all the decent VSTs, but it's not the same as having Roland tweak their own keybeds to their own software, or any other company doing the same. There needs to be a good connection between the hardware and the software/firmware, otherwise it'll result in a bad experience for the player.

Finally, you can do a lot with EQ/compression/reverb if you have basic sound engineering skills. Even a mediocre piano can be made to sound half decent (but this may only be possible in post-production for many of you).

Instruments: Roland RD-2000 + Roland A-49
Software: REAPER and MuseScore
Pete14 #2673503 09/07/17 10:04 AM
F
F
There's no mistake I seriously dislike Pianoteq, and version 6 is yet another reason why. I was thrilled to try out the latest hoping that they really made it revolutionary, but it seems only slight improvement were made in the tonal department.

It still sounds like it has the same issues, and all the overhauled pianos sound like they've had their EQ adjusted, which of course is something you can do with version 3/4/5.

Where I really hear the difference is from version 3 to version 5. It seems that was the big leap.

Last edited by Fscotte; 09/07/17 10:04 AM.
HSFlik #2673504 09/07/17 10:07 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HSFlik
I took the MIDI from whatever the top Google result for "classical piano midi" was. smile

To expect a perfect piano sound to be generated from a stereo setup, is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Think about how massive the "speaker" is on a piano. How can speakers even try to duplicate that, from a physics perspective?

Quite simply, we have only two ears and two eyes! So we hear in stereo, and see in 3D vision.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Doug M. #2673505 09/07/17 10:07 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M
I'm afraid I don't really know enough (do you?) about this interpolation business (especially when you're playing through a controller rather than a MIDI file)? Why claim only 20 velocity layers if in fact you can generate 127 volume levels? What in fact does it matter if you have 4 velocity layers or 90 velocity layers if you can interpolate and still get 127 volume levels (matching the MIDI values)?

I believe I know enough, yes. Someone may correct me but I think the massive Vienna Imperial boasts 127 separate layers (or at least more than any other sample library.) AFAICT that in itself is a potential minefield of difficulty for realtime performance since the undoctored samples are unlikely to be as smooth in transition as those that are crossfaded with fewer layers. So layering matters to some more than others. Some would like the apparent attention to detail where every note has its own sample. Others will see the wisdom of compromise.
If you want more info on interpolation, there's extensive documentation on crossfading for the Kontakt engine. Check it out.

Fscotte #2673509 09/07/17 10:19 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Fscotte
There's no mistake I seriously dislike Pianoteq, and version 6 is yet another reason why. I was thrilled to try out the latest hoping that they really made it revolutionary, but it seems only slight improvement were made in the tonal department.

This point is made now and doesn't need repeating multiple times (if Pianoteq are reading posts here, they've probably picked up on this sentiment). Either you like the tone (or don't dislike it enough to stick with sampling) or find it initially ok then later get frustrated by the metallic nature, or you just don't dig the tone at all.

Originally Posted by Fscotte
Where I really hear the difference is from version 3 to version 5. It seems that was the big leap.

Yes, this is logical too because they've been adding more and more instruments to the library since version 3, meaning it's taking them longer to release updates and each update seems to be small evolutions rather than big steps. The same point has been made a few times in this thread.

Modartts business model is to bring out more models because they can make more money selling many instruments, and re-invest that into their R&D. It's growing their business faster to do it that way i.e., rather than to concentrate on improving the modelling for one piano model only.

Also, I suspect that piano modelling advances evolve with basic R&D, which moves at the academic output rate. Maybe faster advances will occur if someone makes a breakthrough or if computer technology suddenly takes a leap forward.

dire tonic #2673510 09/07/17 10:21 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M

I believe I know enough, yes. Someone may correct me but I think the massive Vienna Imperial boasts 127 separate layers (or at least more than any other sample library.) AFAICT that in itself is a potential minefield of difficulty for realtime performance since the undoctored samples are unlikely to be as smooth in transition as those that are crossfaded with fewer layers. So layering matters to some more than others. Some would like the apparent attention to detail where every note has its own sample. Others will see the wisdom of compromise.
If you want more info on interpolation, there's extensive documentation on crossfading for the Kontakt engine. Check it out.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to read about it. Heard many people refer to the Kontakt engine, but never really read about it!

peterws #2673512 09/07/17 10:23 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by peterws

Quite simply, we have only two ears and two eyes! So we hear in stereo, and see in 3D vision.

We do hear in stereo; however, there is a difference between the various sound reflections/absorptions and transmissions when comparing an acoustic grand to a stage piano with stereo speakers. I guess that's why Yamaha, Kawai and Roland have spent lots of time trying to place speakers, generate sound-boards etc to better mimic this.

HSFlik #2673513 09/07/17 10:26 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

My thoughts:

I don't think there is one "right" solution for the perfect piano representation. When you play a piano, you are hearing so many different things: the soundboard resonating with the combined vibrations of all the strings, the depression of the keys, the movements of the hammers, the damper moving up and down, the reflection of the sound off the walls, and even more, I'm sure.

I prefer playing on modeled pianos. Modeled pianos feel more responsive to control. The sympathetic resonance sounds better to me, as well. This is not to say at all, that it sounds like an acoustic piano. It doesn't at all. But, it's a lot of fun.

Whenever I play a sampled piano, I always feel there's something a little left to be desired. Maybe it's because no one records 128 velocity layers, or the sympathetic resonance of every possible combination of keys. It sounds real, but it doesn't feel real to play, like I'm controlling a puppet with strings or something. Some VSTs use "reverb" as sympathetic resonance as well, and it sounds terrible.

That said, I use each for different purposes. If I'm playing live, I'll use a modeled piano, since it's probably a cocktail party or a band gig. If it were a classical gig, they'd probably have a piano there already. If I'm recording solo piano, or for a track with other acoustic instruments, I'll record the MIDI data while playing a modeled piano, and use a sampled piano for the actual track. If it's for a rock / electronic track, then I'll use modeled as realism isn't as important, in my opinion. If I'm practicing at home, it'll be the modeled pianos on the RD-2000 + headphones or studio monitors.

I think there is also a lot to be said about tweaking the keybed to the software. I know we can calibrated them for all the decent VSTs, but it's not the same as having Roland tweak their own keybeds to their own software, or any other company doing the same. There needs to be a good connection between the hardware and the software/firmware, otherwise it'll result in a bad experience for the player.

Finally, you can do a lot with EQ/compression/reverb if you have basic sound engineering skills. Even a mediocre piano can be made to sound half decent (but this may only be possible in post-production for many of you).

Thanks for that post!
I remember Phil Best commenting on YouTube that Pianoteq 5 and the V-piano had different qualities but he like both. Do you feel that Pianoteq 6 competes well with your RD2000's (despite the keybed comment)?

Doug M. #2673516 09/07/17 10:33 AM
T
T
I did think it was interesting that Phil Best had a Roland FP-90 that he was using in the Pianoteq 6 videos.

Doug M. #2673517 09/07/17 10:34 AM
H
H

Think about it like this: If you were to shout "Get off my plane!" at 127 different volumes, the tone of it would change gradually as you got from softer to louder. At the quietest, it would be a sweet (maybe) sounding whisper. At the loudest, your mouth might be wide open and you may get some throat growl in there.

To reduce the amount of work, you could just record/sample a "quiet" one, a "medium" one, and a "loud" one. You could assign the "quiet" one to velocities 0 - 42, the "medium" one from 43 to 90, and the "loud" one from 91 - 127. Then, you would adjust the volume for each such that the higher the velocity, the louder the volume. While the volume changes from 0-127, you only hear three different tones. The same thing happens when the hammer strikes the keys at different velocities. It's not just a volume change that you hear on an acoustic, but a tonal one as well.

Piano modeling tries to find a mathematical equation (highly complex, I'm sure) that captures all of these characteristics across the velocity range, and how the strings interact with each other. So, while the problem of velocity layers is eliminated, there's a more complex one of the modeling being realistic enough for the human ear to recognize as a piano.

I'll let you know what I think of the RD-2000 / Pianoteq combination after I try it out a little more. Haven't had much of a chance yet.

Last edited by HSFlik; 09/07/17 10:36 AM.

Tom Fort #2673521 09/07/17 10:54 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tom Fort
I did think it was interesting that Phil Best had a Roland FP-90 that he was using in the Pianoteq 6 videos.

Perhaps Phil likes the PHA-50 better than the PHAIII of the V-piano and the NW-GH of his CP4?
On his website it says he uses the FP-90 for live performance, so I guess he doesn't use Pianoteq much on stage.

Doug M. #2673522 09/07/17 10:56 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Folks, I'd like to point out that the argument about which is best---modelled vs. sampled---depends upon what you value.

Whilst modelling has improved its tonal qualities modestly, sampled piano libraries have only made modest improvements in number of velocity layers---both represent an evolution in technology, ergo, the choice for customers hasn't really changed viz modelling vs. sampling.

Sample-based synthesizer hardware can morph velocity layers since decades. There is no modeling needed for smooth layer transitions from pp to ff. Software libraries took very long to get this right (if at all).

Currently, for those who place less value on the accurate tonal reproduction of a Steinway etc., and value more the dynamic expressiveness, then Pianoteq and/or Roland/Physis modelling appeals more.

The real comparison to this segment of the market (to modelling enthusiasts) is certainly not CFX vs Pianoteq 6, because despite having 20 velocity layers, CFX isn't going to provide the player with an expressiveness equal to a modelled piano with 127 velocity layers.

I'm comparing Pianoteq, Ivory II American Concert D (22 velocity layers) and the Kawai EX built into my digital piano over the course of three years and the dated sample inside my DP became my favorite instrument. It sounds great, especially in the forte-fortissimo range, unlike Synthogy's Steinway (there might be great sounding Steinway Ds, but the instrument Synthogy chose to record was not one of those) and is perfectly playable just as Pianoteq's model.

I much preferred this Minuet to the MIDI file of Chopin played through the various Pianoteq 6 pianos. For that matter, the performance by Phil Best and the other Pianoteq 6 recordings (in the listen section of PTs website) are more enjoyable to listen to than the MIDI file of Chopin, even though the Chopin melody is more impressive. The underlying tonal quality of Pianoteq in these different recordings are similar---signature to Pianoteq.

My question regarding the Chopin MIDI file is: was it originally recorded using a sampled VST? If so, would it not be the case that the MIDI velocity levels of each note would play the same whether played back through Pianoteq or CFX?

Rendering MIDI files has nothing to do with playing piano at all.

Yamaha P-515
HSFlik #2673523 09/07/17 10:56 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Think about it like this: If you were to shout "Get off my plane!" at 127 different volumes, the tone of it would change gradually as you got from softer to louder. At the quietest, it would be a sweet (maybe) sounding whisper. At the loudest, your mouth might be wide open and you may get some throat growl in there.

To reduce the amount of work, you could just record/sample a "quiet" one, a "medium" one, and a "loud" one. You could assign the "quiet" one to velocities 0 - 42, the "medium" one from 43 to 90, and the "loud" one from 91 - 127. Then, you would adjust the volume for each such that the higher the velocity, the louder the volume. While the volume changes from 0-127, you only hear three different tones. The same thing happens when the hammer strikes the keys at different velocities. It's not just a volume change that you hear on an acoustic, but a tonal one as well.

Piano modeling tries to find a mathematical equation (highly complex, I'm sure) that captures all of these characteristics across the velocity range, and how the strings interact with each other. So, while the problem of velocity layers is eliminated, there's a more complex one of the modeling being realistic enough for the human ear to recognize as a piano.

I'll let you know what I think of the RD-2000 / Pianoteq combination after I try it out a little more. Haven't had much of a chance yet.

Ah, so the 20 volume levels on the CFX are actually 20 different tonal characteristics. That makes sense, thanks!

JoeT #2673524 09/07/17 11:02 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JoeT
Folks, I'd like to point out that the argument about which is best---modelled vs. sampled---depends upon what you value.

Whilst modelling has improved its tonal qualities modestly, sampled piano libraries have only made modest improvements in number of velocity layers---both represent an evolution in technology, ergo, the choice for customers hasn't really changed viz modelling vs. sampling.

Sample-based synthesizer hardware can morph velocity layers since decades. There is no modeling needed for smooth layer transitions from pp to ff. Software libraries took very long to get this right (if at all).

Currently, for those who place less value on the accurate tonal reproduction of a Steinway etc., and value more the dynamic expressiveness, then Pianoteq and/or Roland/Physis modelling appeals more.

The real comparison to this segment of the market (to modelling enthusiasts) is certainly not CFX vs Pianoteq 6, because despite having 20 velocity layers, CFX isn't going to provide the player with an expressiveness equal to a modelled piano with 127 velocity layers.

I'm comparing Pianoteq, Ivory II American Concert D (22 velocity layers) and the Kawai EX built into my digital piano over the course of three years and the dated sample inside my DP became my favorite instrument. It sounds great, especially in the forte-fortissimo range, unlike Synthogy's Steinway (there might be great sounding Steinway Ds, but the instrument Synthogy chose to record was not one of those) and is perfectly playable just as Pianoteq's model.

I much preferred this Minuet to the MIDI file of Chopin played through the various Pianoteq 6 pianos. For that matter, the performance by Phil Best and the other Pianoteq 6 recordings (in the listen section of PTs website) are more enjoyable to listen to than the MIDI file of Chopin, even though the Chopin melody is more impressive. The underlying tonal quality of Pianoteq in these different recordings are similar---signature to Pianoteq.

My question regarding the Chopin MIDI file is: was it originally recorded using a sampled VST? If so, would it not be the case that the MIDI velocity levels of each note would play the same whether played back through Pianoteq or CFX?

Rendering MIDI files has nothing to do with playing piano at all.

I felt my MP7 EX grand sounded great with the Chopin MIDI file.
Dire tonic and HSFlik have just explained about the smooth layer transitions thing: quite interesting!

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/07/17 11:03 AM.

HSFlik #2673533 09/07/17 11:26 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

You forget about the sample crossfading/morphing interpolation. Most (if not all) samplers gradually blend the samples, so it's not only the volume that changes, it's also a smooth and gradual timbre variation. You can see in the DPBSD test that almost all of the tested hardware and software pianos utilize such a technique.

Not saying you've been mislead or anything but I can easily see how a false assumption like that could lead many people to incorrectly believe it's only modeled pianos that give you smooth velocity and timbre gradation, hence they must be better than sampled.

Last edited by CyberGene; 09/07/17 11:29 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Pete14 #2673534 09/07/17 11:28 AM
P
P

What would be useful now is:
1) A comparison of the Pianoteq 5 instruements vs the Pianoteq 6
instruments so we can hear the improvements.

Hi Doug,

thank you for your interesting suggestion. We have prepared a special
comparison page between Pianoteq 5 and Pianoteq 6.

Philippe

CyberGene #2673535 09/07/17 11:31 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You forget about the sample crossfading/morphing interpolation. Most (if not all) samplers gradually blend the samples, so it's not only the volume that changes, it's also a smooth and gradual timbre variation. You can see in the DPBSD test that almost all of the tested hardware and software pianos utilize such a technique.

Not saying you've been mislead or anything but I can easily see how a false assumption like that could lead many people to incorrectly believe it's only modeled pianos that give you smooth velocity and timbre gradation, hence they must be better than sampled.

Thank you for the correction!

I think it's all personal preference, not necessarily one is better than the other, anyway.

Page 10 of 29 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission