Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
112 registered members (Amedeus, ajames, anamnesis, Almaviva, Agent88, 25 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2672507 - 09/03/17 10:48 AM If Chickering were reborn  
Duke of Dunning Online content
Duke of Dunning  Online Content

Chicago
Sitting here recovering from some unplanned cardiac surgery with too much time on my hands.

So, f you were a Burgett type willing to do for Chickering what they did for M&H, which Scales/designs would you offer to the public?

I don't even know who owns the rights to the Chickering brand. Is it Gibson/Baldwin?

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
Chickering Console (1950s)
Associate Member PTG (Chicago chapter)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2672544 - 09/03/17 01:44 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Owners of the Chickering name? Baldwin/Gibson, as far as I know.

The community technical college where I work has a small 4'10" Chickering baby grand made by Baldwin in the early/mid 1990s. It has the proprietary Baldwin accu-just hitch pins in the plate. I believe Dell Fandrich had a hand in designing that particular piano for Baldwin. To be a among the smallest baby grands made, it has a nice tone and touch. It was purchased by the student government association from a local Baldwin dealer at the time, and then donated to the college.

I've played it many times over the years for special events and programs at the college. It is poorly maintained and rarely tuned. In fact, I will be playing it for a small graduation ceremony this coming Thursday. I've been practicing "Pomp and circumstance" a lot here lately. In fact, I was practicing it last week and my wife told me I had the tempo to fast. She said the graduates were marching, and not jogging. But I have two basic tempos, fast and faster. smile I hope I can slow it down just a bit for the program.

You are right, Duke, the Chickering name is among the most recognized, as least here in the US.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
#2672547 - 09/03/17 02:16 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
Chickering would not be my first choice of piano to resurrect, and there are very few old scales by any manufacturer that are worth emulating. Modern computing can improve many of them, but some are beyond redemption.

Semipro Tech
#2672554 - 09/03/17 02:36 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Karl Watson Online content
500 Post Club Member
Karl Watson  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Your Grace:

Sorry to hear about your surgery but hoping you are recovering nicely and feeling stronger.

About your VERY tempting question/speculation: not at all an easy question, as you well know, given the firm's amazing, even restless spirit of innovation and experimentation. The revised/new scales they brought out for the firm's centennial year are admired by many.

The Burgetts & Coy. studiously AVOIDED any reference to the Boston, even the Rochester scales, everything was newly conceived in Haverhill, totally new bellies throughout. Any suggestion to the contrary is false.

In the case of Chickering, I'd personally be interested to hear one of their final straight-strung concert grands from the 19th-century, newly-built.

One wonders if the Chickering tonal qualities would find any customers. I wager that it is possible, just as I think that a modern Mason, built to the original scales, would find an eager fan base, especially with the benefits and possibilities of the fine new W, N&G action. Of course, our premier boutique builders can do the same rebuilding vintage instruments.

I wish Robin Hufford would weigh-in on this one.

Lacking even the very semi-professional credentials of BDB, my perspective is that of a pianist, ONLY.

Best wishes for your speedy recovery -

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY,
kw35@si.rr.com

Last edited by Karl Watson; 09/03/17 02:40 PM.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2672557 - 09/03/17 02:45 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
oldpianoboy Offline
oldpianoboy  Offline

I grew up playing and learning on a Chickering grand. My parents eventually replaced it was another better maintained Chickering that was incredibly similar to the first. I never thought of Chickering as more than an average piano at best. Is there a reason we would want to resurrect it?

#2672560 - 09/03/17 03:04 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: oldpianoboy]  

Chicago
Originally Posted by oldpianoboy
I grew up playing and learning on a Chickering grand. My parents eventually replaced it was another better maintained Chickering that was incredibly similar to the first. I never thought of Chickering as more than an average piano at best. Is there a reason we would want to resurrect it?

Which Chickering was this? Was this an original Chickering, a late Aeolian, or a Korean made Baldwin era version? It makes a difference

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
#2672564 - 09/03/17 03:18 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
oldpianoboy Offline
oldpianoboy  Offline

I don't know honestly. I had it through the 60s and 70s and it was used. Maybe made in the 50s.

I just called my parents. They bought it new in 1964. I was mistaken. It cost $1850.

Last edited by oldpianoboy; 09/03/17 03:26 PM.
#2672592 - 09/03/17 05:16 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Karl Watson]  
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Karl Watson

The Burgetts & Coy. studiously AVOIDED any reference to the Boston, even the Rochester scales, everything was newly conceived in Haverhill, totally new bellies throughout. Any suggestion to the contrary is false.
I've read the opposite, and I think some of their ads claim the new Masons are highly based on older models. I know they're not exactly the same in scale design but I think they are quite similar although some claim the tone of the new Masons is quite different from the Boston era examples. For starters, the overbuilt cases, tension resonator, and the length of most of the grand models are the same as the Boston era models.

#2672593 - 09/03/17 05:17 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Piano Practice Online content
Piano Practice  Online Content

MADISON, MISSISSIPPI
I had a chance to play a 9 ft Chickering last year and it was from the mid to early 1920's (pre-Aeolian). It was at a store located near where I live... Somewhere along the way, someone had rebuilt it within the last couple of decades... When I sat down to play it, I was expecting an old, tired and tinny sound.... But, to my surprise, I was totally blown away by the tone of the piano!

Piano Practice
1972 Baldwin R #196745
Casio CDP 100

Soli Deo Gloria
#2672608 - 09/03/17 07:25 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
P W Grey Offline
500 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Hampshire
Since not enough people are interested in sound history, there would not be enough market to keep it alive. I am presently restoring a 1907 Chickering 121 scale quarter grand, still has its original hammers. I very much like the sound, but it is thinner and more delicate than what most people want today. It is a small footprint though. Few people care about history anymore.

They did learn how to make awesome big pianos though.

Some point to the 123 scale quarter grand as being extremely good.

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 09/03/17 07:26 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)
#2672629 - 09/03/17 09:11 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: pianoloverus]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Dear pianolover:

With respect, and not wishing to start a dispute, argue or haggle about anything, whatever you've read and whatever conclusions you've drawn, I know FOR A FACT, that the Haverhill Mason scale and belly designs are new and were conceived with no reference whatever to the vintage Boston designs - spiders and outside dimensions notwithstanding. Even the most unmusical person can instantly tell that they are RADICALLY different pianos. I'm not debating their merits, just insisting that they are not the same or even based on the former designs.

Their designer brags to all that will listen that they are better in every way because, after all, they are louder, MUCH louder.

Karl

Last edited by Karl Watson; 09/03/17 09:22 PM.
#2672630 - 09/03/17 09:16 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: P W Grey]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Dear P W:

VERY interesting about the 121 and 123 scales. I have a 125 that was finished in Rochester, with a Rochester action. It has MANY fine qualities, even in death (extensively cracked soundboard and hard-as-nails hammers). I'm hoping that it will be a fine subject for rebuilding.

Karl

#2672656 - 09/04/17 01:05 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
May it please your Grace, I have nothing to add to the thread but am sorry to hear about your surgery. Of course it is better that the condition has been diagnosed and treated.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
#2672681 - 09/04/17 07:34 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I've no idea which Chickerings to resurrect.
Its allure (and marketability) is probably questionable to a majority of pianists in the U.S. and even fewer internationally. I've never heard a European or Asian pianist mention one.

I'm willing to wager those who know what good Chickering grands sounded like are now over 60 years old. Though this demographic may have a bit of disposable income, many are focused on downsizing and retirement planning, and a new grand piano may not fit these visions. Heck, I've had to fight my recently retired parents to even put a portable DIGITAL in one of the spare bedrooms of their condo (and both of their kids have music degrees)!

As a middle-aged person, I can only remember playing one Golden-Age Chickering in good condition. I was 16, the piano was about six feet long, owned by an older piano teacher in the northeast, and my reaction was that it was slightly odd in a way I didn't find charming at the time. Of course, my generation of pianists grew up while the American/Canadian piano industry was (at worst) imploding or (at best) resting on its laurels, the reputation and acceptance of Japanese pianos was solidified, and Korean pianos were just starting to appear in the North American market.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
#2672684 - 09/04/17 07:45 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: terminaldegree]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Dear Terminaldegree:

Your last is very perceptive, and on a number of levels.

I'm 67 and Chickering was definitely NOT on my radar scope, at least until I met some Boston pianists who had first-hand knowledge of them. Although some very nice small pianos were made in Rochester, they would certainly not be considered artist instruments. I think that MOST of the interest in the mark, with certain exceptions, covers the period 1875-1925, more or less, give or take. For instance, I'm very interested in their straight-strung concert grands, which mostly pre-date this period.

What we really need here is for Robin Hufford to join this discussion. He KNOWS Chickering pianos.

Karl

Last edited by Karl Watson; 09/04/17 07:46 AM.
#2672716 - 09/04/17 09:47 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  

Chicago
Thanks for the good wishes. Everything appears to be going well. I am fortunate to have health coverage allowing me to take advantage of the excellent cardiovascular resources of NorthwesternUniversity Hospital.

I just watched Robin Hufford's YT video regarding the 1850s era straight strung Chickering. Very instructive. I also understand that Bill Shull in CA has a wealth of Chickering knowledge and is amassing an archive. This does not appear to be publicly available at this time.

Baldwin SF-10
Petrof III
#2673055 - 09/05/17 09:35 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: P W Grey]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by P W Grey
Since not enough people are interested in sound history, there would not be enough market to keep it alive. I am presently restoring a 1907 Chickering 121 scale quarter grand, still has its original hammers. I very much like the sound, but it is thinner and more delicate than what most people want today. It is a small footprint though. Few people care about history anymore.

They did learn how to make awesome big pianos though.

Some point to the 123 scale quarter grand as being extremely good.

Pwg

I've got a Chickering 123 scale from 1928 as mentioned and thought I would post a recording of it.

http://picosong.com/wsV2s

#2673130 - 09/06/17 08:08 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Ed. A Hall:

Not to insult, but could this be a roll playing ? It's absolutely accurate, not even slightly smudged. WOW !
The tone is lovely. You wrote "as mentioned." Well, not in this thread. Can you tell as about the piano, about scale 123, just everything.

Hard not to love the sound. Nothing of the heroic in it, a different way from the American main-stream.

Please do tell us ALL about this piano.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY
kw35@si.rr.com

#2673153 - 09/06/17 09:39 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Seattle, WA USA
I greatly enjoyed the playing and the piano. Very whimsical, joyous, tender and properly showy!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
#2673320 - 09/06/17 06:30 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
P W Grey Offline
500 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Hampshire
Ed,

Marvelous sound! I'm assuming this instrument has been well restored. Yes?

Unfortunately I find too many Chickerings poorly restored and I think that often contributes to their lack of recognition. However, it must be said that Chickering did not build its reputation on huge gutsy sound but rather a more delicate, subdued sound. When Steinway came along to challenge their lead in the market they literally changed the market in preference to a bigger, more robust sound and took the lead.

Chickering was able to produce some pianos with that kind of sound but it really was not their mainstream thing.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)
#2673354 - 09/06/17 09:47 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianolance  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nashville, TN
Wow Ed, was that you playing? If it was I hope you were getting paid by the note! Excellent performance. Also, really loved the sound of the piano.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
#2673416 - 09/07/17 05:15 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Rich Galassini Offline
Rich Galassini  Offline

Philadelphia/South Jersey
That is a beautiful Chickering Ed. Thank you for sharing.

I am quite impressed with the playing. Is that you? As Karl mentioned, it is so accurately played.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Check out the Science Channel's "How Its Made" featuring our piano restoration:
http://www.cunninghampiano.com/how-its-made/
#2673660 - 09/07/17 10:59 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
Nice recording of the Chickering 123 Scale! I looked through my collection of Peter Phillips' MIDI emulations of Ampico, Duo-Art and Welte-Mignon reproducing roll recordings of Chopin's Etude Op.10 No.8, F major, and I believe this performance is that of Nikolai Andreyevich Orlov (1892-1964) via Ampico 67751 - recorded in July, 1927. It's too late for me to play it back and record it on my M&H BB (with our 5 year old twins asleep), but the performance sounds very similar when I hear it played back via PianoTeq 5. For reference, my favorite instruments to hear it on were on the model of the 1899 Bechstein and on their latest emulation of a 'Martha Argerich'-selected Hamburg Model B Steinway.

According to Wikipedia, Mr. Orlov was a noted Russian virtuoso pianist who was appreciated especially for his interpretations of Frédéric Chopin. He studied piano at Moscow and graduated from the Moscow Conservatory in 1910. He also studied privately composition and counterpoint with Sergei Taneyev. His first public concert was held in 1912, and he gave the première of the first piano concerto of Alexander Glazunov in the same year. Orlov worked as teacher in Moscow in 1913–1921 and then moved to West. He made several successful concert tours around the world, and in 1948 he settled in the United Kingdom.

Another intriguing roll recording of this same work is Duo-Art 6414 - recorded in May, 1921 - was that of Ossip Gabrilowitsch (1878-1936), the pianist with the Golden Touch - who was also known as Mark Twain's son-in-law (husband of Clara Clemens) and as the famous duo-pianist partner of the incomparable Harold Bauer (1873-1951). There is also another roll recording (Welte-Licensee 4130 - recorded in February, 1927) by non other than a young Vladimir Horowitz (1903-1989). Although I am a big fan of his, I found this particular recording to be the most mechanical and pedestrian as compared to the others.

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
#2673661 - 09/07/17 11:26 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

For those who are wondering, yes I used a roll for the recording. I've got a bunch of rolls but this one is the most realistic. Interestingly, the older rolls tend to be more realistic than the newer ones. Yes, this particular piece was played by Nicolas Orloff roll 67751-G. It'll be interesting to hear a comparison of the Mason BB and this Chickering.

I purchased this piano from a an antique collector who didn't know much about pianos and needed to get rid of it. He did say that it was originally owned by some extremely wealthy people. When I got it, the piano was badly out of tune and the Ampico player was not working. I got the player working and brought this piano back up to pitch. The piano has been completely rebuilt including the Ampico player. My guess is that it was done 15 to 20 years ago. It was a decent rebuild but not as refined as some of the top notch rebuilds that are being done today. It has had very little use since the rebuild.

I have quite a few musician friends who have a poor impression of Chickerings. Their complaint is poor tone and terribly heavy actions. They are quite surprised when I send them the recordings. Sadly, these pianos tend to not be maintained liked Steinways so people get the impression that these are terrible pianos.

Here are a few photos of this piano.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#2673708 - 09/08/17 06:59 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: BDB]  
Almaviva Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Almaviva  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Richmond, Virginia
Originally Posted by BDB
Chickering would not be my first choice of piano to resurrect, and there are very few old scales by any manufacturer that are worth emulating. Modern computing can improve many of them, but some are beyond redemption.

Could you give us a few examples of old scale designs that ARE worth emulating, BDB?

#2673709 - 09/08/17 07:13 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Almaviva Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Almaviva  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Richmond, Virginia
Originally Posted by Duke of Dunning
Sitting here recovering from some unplanned cardiac surgery with too much time on my hands.

So, f you were a Burgett type willing to do for Chickering what they did for M&H, which Scales/designs would you offer to the public?

I don't even know who owns the rights to the Chickering brand. Is it Gibson/Baldwin?

Your Grace,

I'm sorry to hear about your cardiac surgery. I hope you are recovering nicely. I've had two medical emergences to deal with in the last year, so I know what you are going through.

I was just thinking. If joe80 is our "Bluthner Booster", YOU would be our "Chickering Champion"! smile

#2673717 - 09/08/17 07:50 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Ed A. Hall:

Thank you very much for your last. I'm glad it turned out to be a roll. I didn't want to offend. Just have to say that I think it's the best roll I've ever heard.

The piano is really lovely.

The pictures did NOT come through for me.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY,
kw35@si.rr.com

#2673765 - 09/08/17 10:37 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Almaviva]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Originally Posted by BDB

Could you give us a few examples of old scale designs that ARE worth emulating, BDB?

Rather than emulating, I would prefer that modern manufacturers come up with their own. They should avoid having big jumps in tension, especially in the transition from wound strings to plain strings. There should be fewer changes in gauges at the high end, saving them to compensate for foreshortening of the scale that occurs in the tenor. It is not out of the question to use a different gauge for every note or two near the break. As you go into mass production, this is cheaper, since wire is sold by the pound, so thin wire is cheaper than thicker wire by length.

Semipro Tech
#2673818 - 09/08/17 03:05 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Rich Galassini Offline
Rich Galassini  Offline

Ed A. Hall,

An AMPICO!! Well, that is a really cool instrument. Marc Andre' Hamelin wrote several pieces for such a beast. He hand made the rolls himself!

I hope you are enjoying that system in such a fine piano. Have you learned much about the AMPICOs? I think the most reliable and easily rebuildable of all the reproducers. Is it a style B or A AMPICO system?

(Just curious)

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
#2673826 - 09/08/17 03:32 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Craig Hair Offline
Craig Hair  Offline

Chesterfield. MA
Ed,
We found a number of reproducer rolls in a bunch of common rolls. They are not in the greatest shape...poor storage. Would you want them?

Craig

Craig Hair
Hampshire Piano
Chesterfield, MA
Conservative Piano Restoration

Sometimes, all you can hear is the cat snore.
#2674424 - 09/11/17 08:31 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Rich Galassini]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Ed A. Hall,

An AMPICO!! Well, that is a really cool instrument. Marc Andre' Hamelin wrote several pieces for such a beast. He hand made the rolls himself!

I hope you are enjoying that system in such a fine piano. Have you learned much about the AMPICOs? I think the most reliable and easily rebuildable of all the reproducers. Is it a style B or A AMPICO system?

(Just curious)

Rich,

Yes, when I saw this piano, I had to have it. I could tell a lot if work had been done to it and it had fabulous tone for being what it was. Fortunately, I had my moving equipment along so I was able to load it up and bring home with me right then. However, it was extremely heavy and even a little on the scary side since I was doing this myself. I would not be surprised if it is heavier than some 9 ft concert grands.

It's an A AMPICO. I imagine that there is much debate on which style is better or preferable.

#2674431 - 09/11/17 09:08 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Karl Watson]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Ed A. Hall:

Thank you very much for your last. I'm glad it turned out to be a roll. I didn't want to offend. Just have to say that I think it's the best roll I've ever heard.

The piano is really lovely.

The pictures did NOT come through for me.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY,
kw35@si.rr.com

Karl,

Of all the rolls I've got, this is one of my favorites. Many of them, especially the newer ones sound somewhat mechanical / butchered.

Here are the photos again. Hopefully it comes through this time.
The piano measures 6'6" and from my weight lifting barometer, it's extremely heavy. There must have been many variations of this scale 123. They were definitely not one to leave well enough alone. On this one, Chickering made the bass backscale length as long as possible extending the hitch pins all the way to the back of the case and went to a much more traditional action (without brass parts and splayed action).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#2674463 - 09/11/17 11:18 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Dear Ed A. Hall:

Thank you VERY MUCH for your last.

I can only say WOW !

Bye the bye, I'm not too clear about the two player systems. I know that they are Ampico and Duo-Art.
Who exactly employed which systems ? Is one superior to another ? Which one is it that has the very long key sticks ? The last time I visited Rich's shop, his action man had one of those actions on his bench. Like most things at Cunningham's, you can bet that they managed to get a good result from it, but just how is quite beyond me ! I remember David Stanwood saying that he'd obtained a very satisfactory result from one. There was a small Steinway in my little town in Michigan that I had to play on many occasions during my pre-Philadelphia years. It was too much for me.

Kindest regards,

Karl

#2674635 - 09/12/17 03:53 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
Rich Galassini Offline
Rich Galassini  Offline

Originally Posted by Ed A. Hall

Rich,

Yes, when I saw this piano, I had to have it. I could tell a lot if work had been done to it and it had fabulous tone for being what it was. Fortunately, I had my moving equipment along so I was able to load it up and bring home with me right then. However, it was extremely heavy and even a little on the scary side since I was doing this myself. I would not be surprised if it is heavier than some 9 ft concert grands.

It's an A AMPICO. I imagine that there is much debate on which style is better or preferable.

You...moved it yourself? You must be very strong or very brave. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
#2674668 - 09/12/17 07:50 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Rich Galassini]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

You...moved it yourself? You must be very strong or very brave. smile

When there is a will, there is a way. Yes, some strength but mainly technique, lots of experience and the right equipment. They're just extra heavy and you cannot tip them on the pedals.

#2674672 - 09/12/17 07:54 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Dear Ed:
I should have mentioned that the small S&S piano that I was forced to wrestle on so many occasion as a teen-ager, was a former player, with player action removed. There was a great, empty gap in the thing. I recall that it had those characteristic double legs.
Karl

#2674683 - 09/12/17 08:18 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
Rich Galassini Offline
Rich Galassini  Offline

Originally Posted by Ed A. Hall

When there is a will, there is a way. Yes, some strength but mainly technique, lots of experience and the right equipment. They're just extra heavy and you cannot tip them on the pedals.

The double legs add a little extra concern as well. Moving pianos like this is usually not a "one man show". Bravo to you Ed!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
rich@cunninghampiano.com
#2674795 - 09/12/17 05:26 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
I tuned a Chickering scale 123 from 1906 yesterday. It had a lot different plate from Craig Hair's piano.

Semipro Tech
#2674836 - 09/12/17 07:30 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: BDB]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by BDB
I tuned a Chickering scale 123 from 1906 yesterday. It had a lot different plate from Craig Hair's piano.

BDB,

I've got 3 Chickering Scale 123's and the plates are different on each one. They were not ones to leave well enough alone.

#2674841 - 09/12/17 07:43 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
Or they just could not get it right!

Semipro Tech
#2674873 - 09/12/17 11:17 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: BDB]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Where ever is heard the discouraging word.

Karl

#2674879 - 09/13/17 12:15 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Karl Watson]  
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline

Oakland
I have seen several stringing scales on Mason & Hamlin As, at least a couple of plates on similarly sized Knabes and Bösendorfers, so these things change more than one might think. It is amazing how little difference some of the things that you might think are major changes make.

Semipro Tech
#2674925 - 09/13/17 07:28 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
guyl Offline
guyl  Offline

Montreal, Canada
Just read my signature...

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
#2674939 - 09/13/17 08:49 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
nedapedad Offline
nedapedad  Offline

It's a bit expensive I'm guessing. need to have a look at the age of the piano and the mat on behind

#2675134 - 09/14/17 12:19 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Ed A. Hall]  
wolfgangmeister Offline
wolfgangmeister  Offline

CT
Ed A. Hall -

I had a few minutes this evening after I came from work (as our twin five year old girls were getting ready for bed) to record as requested Nicolai Orlov's AMPICO 67751 (7-1927) roll recording - on my 2013-era Mason & Hamlin BB via my PianoDisc SilentDriveHD system using a Peter Phillips MIDI emulation - of Chopin's Etude in F, Op.10 No.8. As the speed of reproducing roll playbacks can vary, this recording came out just a tad slower than yours... but it's not too big a difference. The tone of each instrument is indeed quite different between the new-era M&H BB and the Chickering 123. I like both for very different reasons! The Chickering has a lovely "bell-like" ringing tone in the treble that is not heard on any modern era instrument; not surprisingly the BB reproduces the bass with the great character and clarity it is known for. I didn't have time to fuss with mic placement etc - in fact, I just used the built-in mic's of my TASCAM digital recorder. I also wish my piano had been more recently tuned - it was done last January, and is scheduled to be done in the coming month - but this is the best I can provide as a comparison in short order. Enjoy!

Link to SoundCloud:
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.8 in F - Nikolai Orlov, pianist (7-1927)

Link to YouTube:
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.8 in F - Nikolai Orlov, pianist (7-1927)

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
#2675180 - 09/14/17 08:36 AM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: wolfgangmeister]  
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Jason:

I hope you won't object to me pushing my oar in here - BUT
it seems strange to one who can't abide piano rolls OR Bruce Clark pianos that I should be so utterly smitten by BOTH. As for the tuning, I daresay that none of us have pianos that have survived the Summer with tuning so solid as yours.
Of course, it's impossible to know much about Orlov's playing from this other than the obvious: a beautiful, totally lyric, caressing tone, allied with a, for want of a better word, GRACIOUS style of music-making; the clarity and superb pedaling combing to achieve a kind-of ideal, at least from my vantage point. Sad to say, yet another example of a way of playing, a general approach that seems to have gone out of this present age.

Have to say that your BB is a gorgeous piano, especially when played in such a noble manner.

Thank you very much for posting this. Have you considered doing so in the pianists section ?

Karl Watson

#2677304 - 09/23/17 07:50 PM Re: If Chickering were reborn [Re: Duke of Dunning]  
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ed A. Hall  Offline
500 Post Club Member

wolfgangmeister,

Thanks for posting the recording. It was very interesting to hear the 2 pianos with the same roll. You have a very fine piano and I can most certainly appreciate them both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheaper pianos actually sound good
by Dave Horne. 11/21/17 09:38 AM
Piano benches - Stagg, Hercules , etc.
by Dave Ferris. 11/21/17 06:48 AM
Arthritis and Action Adjustments?
by harpsichorder. 11/21/17 05:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,869
Posts2,673,304
Members89,166
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission