Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (alfredo capurso, Andrei Kuznetsov, alphonsus, Beemer, arnobuyens, AndyP, 13 invisible), 1,412 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2675071 - 09/13/17 06:18 PM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: twocats]  
cmb13 Offline
cmb13  Offline

Boca Raton, FL
In defense of TwoCats and what some have suggested seems to be a lack of compliance in following several recommendations, I too am reluctant to insure. It has been suggested to me that I spend tens of thousands of dollars in insurance premiums per year. This includes homeowners with hurricane coverage $10k, malpractice $18k, disability $5k, auto $8k, long term care $2k, umbrella policy $1k, medical insurance $God knows how many k, and every electronic good I purchase. Long ago I stopped paying these, aside from catastrophic homeowners and medical insurance. I consider myself self-insured. For the money I have saved, when an appliance breaks I can buy another.

Now if I had a $100k piano, I'd probably get a rider, but overall I'm tired of paying the average American's salary in insurance premiums every year. But for me, enough is enough with the insurance premiums! ymmv

Boston 118 PE
YouTube Channel
Currently Working On
Arpeggios in Maj, Min, Dim
Mendelssohn Op 30, No. 6, F# min (Venetian Boat Song)
All The Thing You Are
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2675089 - 09/13/17 07:26 PM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: cmb13]  
spk Offline
spk  Offline

Hey cmb,
From your profile, I see you're a doc. I'm a surgeon, and many people have told me that the most important things to have are own occupation disability, large umbrella policy and term life, but it sounds like you've considered those.

I have a very modest grand but don't insure it and live on the gulf coast, but I too will take my chances. I agree, it would probably be different if I had a Bosendorfer. I'm not an actuary but I'm guessing the likelihood of a total loss is pretty low if policies aren't expensive.

Last edited by spk; 09/13/17 07:38 PM.
#2675178 - 09/14/17 09:28 AM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: twocats]  
P W Grey Offline
500 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Hampshire
Twocats,

I'm sorry to say that I do not trust anything an agent says. When the time actually comes (unfortunately) they are not going to simply hand you a check for the maximum amount on your policy. They are going to ask you for a list of what you owned so they can "replace" it (they are now looking like the generous hero). They will want you to come up with exact names, models, (they will ask age) colors, etc etc...

When you say: "I had a sofa in this room, a tv , lamps, yada yada yada..." They come back and say: "What kind, how big, what, material, what style, what finish, how old, etc etc." When you cannot answer these questions satisfactorily, now the negotiation begins. "Oh, you don't have an inventory of all your belongings...? We will have to approximate..."

You understand where this goes. As nice as they are ahead of time...that can change when reality hits the fan.

Written (spreadsheet works well), and video recording of each room and each item removes most doubt.

Have fun!

Pwg

Last edited by P W Grey; 09/14/17 09:30 AM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)
#2675181 - 09/14/17 09:36 AM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: P W Grey]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Twocats,

I'm sorry to say that I do not trust anything an agent says. When the time actually comes (unfortunately) they are not going to simply hand you a check for the maximum amount on your policy. They are going to ask you for a list of what you owned so they can "replace" it (they are now looking like the generous hero). They will want you to come up with exact names, models, (they will ask age) colors, etc etc...

When you say: "I had a sofa in this room, a tv , lamps, yada yada yada..." They come back and say: "What kind, how big, what, material, what style, what finish, how old, etc etc." When you cannot answer these questions satisfactorily, now the negotiation begins. "Oh, you don't have an inventory of all your belongings...? We will have to approximate..."

You understand where this goes. As nice as they are ahead of time...that can change when reality hits the fan.

Written (spreadsheet works well), and video recording of each room and each item removes most doubt.

Have fun!

Pwg

Yep, I have replacement value homeowners' insurance, but my agent has already warned me I should take pictures/videos/have supporting documentation to support a claim. I can understand: they don't want to replace a 20" B/W TV with a 55" HD color one but to replace like-like.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2675186 - 09/14/17 10:18 AM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: twocats]  
cmb13 Offline
cmb13  Offline

Boca Raton, FL
Fwiw, I did photodocument my entire house on my iphone before Hurricane Irma, and backed it up to an external hard drive that I took with me.

Boston 118 PE
YouTube Channel
Currently Working On
Arpeggios in Maj, Min, Dim
Mendelssohn Op 30, No. 6, F# min (Venetian Boat Song)
All The Thing You Are
#2675200 - 09/14/17 11:18 AM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: twocats]  
twocats Offline
500 Post Club Member
twocats  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by twocats
I found a very interesting thread on Reddit this evening and am planning to video-document everything I own again-- did it a couple of years ago but it's time for a refresh.

PWG, thanks for your concern but I'm well aware of that! I do photo-document everything I own and should do a refresh. See this fascinating link for more advice. I'd probably hire a public adjuster (if they could exclude the piano-- taking a percentage of that would be too much and I could do that part myself) in the case of a total loss.

My agent is probably tired of all of my questions, but he has assured me that my piano is covered under my personal property (he even forwarded a letter from the underwriter) and he confirmed this morning that ALL of my belongings have replacement cost coverage, as in the cost of a brand new item.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bosendorfer 225 (meow!) 🐱
#2675270 - 09/14/17 03:12 PM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: twocats]  
P W Grey Offline
500 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Hampshire
That's good. Of course we all hope that (and so do they) you will always simply hand them money and they will never need to give you any. You get to keep what you have...no disasters. ☺

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)
#2675278 - 09/14/17 03:42 PM Re: Piano Insurance - how to determine value? [Re: P W Grey]  
twocats Offline
500 Post Club Member
twocats  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Portland, OR
Yes, hopefully the insurance is never needed! smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bosendorfer 225 (meow!) 🐱
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problematic trill in minute waltz
by zsolpyW. 09/21/17 04:34 AM
Hand size (Yuja Wang) picture
by phantomFive. 09/21/17 01:12 AM
Yamaha P255 controller iOS app
by fary. 09/20/17 06:06 PM
Suggestions needed
by Twinstter. 09/20/17 04:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics181,954
Posts2,659,076
Members88,871
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission